Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Debate & Discussion › Political Cartoons 2017: What?

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Eh, this starts off fine, but then it veers into the traps of conflating /pol/ (and parts of /v/) with the website as a whole and that every joke on 4chan is secretly totally serious you guys. The fact that Chanology changed from DDOSing to mass in person protests holding signs about people who died thanks to Scientology is proof enough that that faction (the half or so that didn't think working to change something was lame "moralfagging") was working from an ethical standpoint, the Ron Paul memes were always a joke about people shilling that nut all over the net, and 4chan being composed of unemployed losers is about as true as creepy fat goons. And the idea that 4chan was some kind of secret past 2008, let alone into 20-frigging-11 is hilarious.

Here's what really happened. Bigots go to 4chan, and, seeing the way they talk (4chan has always been anti-"PC" or in other words peppering everything with slurs and curse words for fun), figure that it's somewhere they're welcome and started imitating other posters to fit in. Eventually, a faction of actually-seriously racist/sexist/what-have-you posters emerged, and started recruiting. Then, in 2011, after they'd started to become a problem, moot made /pol/ to contain them and keep them out of the other boards. Unfortunately, he ended up giving them a breeding ground instead, and by 2015/16 (depending on who you ask) they started boiling over majorly into the rest of the site, and onto reddit. Then a man named Donald Trump announced his candidacy, and /pol/ regrouped with other shitheaded groups and completed its metamorphosis into the worst case of internet cancer there's ever been.

Honestly, most of the other boards on 4chan (except, like, at least half of the My Little Pony board for some bizarre reason?) hate /pol/, their rhetoric, and especially their tendency to derail every conversation with blatant douchebaggery. The problem is, of course, that /pol/ is the loudest, and possibly at this point the biggest single board on 4chan.

TL;DR trumpeters aren't 4chan any more than GBS/FYAD/whatever is SA

e:
I honestly can't tell if Trump's chilling on a meat hook or if that's some kind of skinsuit.

why do those doctors look crazier than trump does

Fates End fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 19, 2017

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

David Rowe:

David Pope:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
SA is composed of creepy fat goons though.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Plucky little president vs. the big bad media.

:rhetorical focus shifts:

Heroic and strong president vs. the conniving and effeminate media.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Fates End posted:

I honestly can't tell if Trump's chilling on a meat hook or if that's some kind of skinsuit.

Have you seen the man? Of course it's a skin suit.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

Plucky little president vs. the big bad media.

:rhetorical focus shifts:

Heroic and strong president vs. the conniving and effeminate media.

Let's see here:

The Media -- an archaic predator with a solid record of survival, able to stand the test of time in spite of an antagonistic world.

Flynn -- a dopey snake who bit off far more than he could chew and will likely suffer for his greed.

Puzder -- beat his wife.

Checks out.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Oh, that's Trump in between two gray-haired guys (Bill Clinton?) on the left. I wracking my brain to try and figure out why they put Chief Aramaki in there.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I found myself wondering about the whole
During Campaign Trump: "Yay, wikileaks!"
and
Post Election Trump: "Leaks bad!"

I mean, with anybody else, I would just chalk it up to standard issue hypocrisy.
But, in Trump's case, I think it's that he just doesn't realize HOW Wikileaks gets its leaks.

Like, when he imagines Assange putting together a Leak document, he's picturing one of those big 80's computers while Julian hacks the mainframe interface and going "I'm in." all the time every time - And not having information handed off to him through his other various sources/however the actual process works.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

the_steve posted:

and

I mean, with anybody else, I would just chalk it up to standard issue hypocrisy.
But, in Trump's case, I think it's that he just doesn't realize HOW Wikileaks gets its leaks.
No he just doesn't give a gently caress.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

After The War posted:

Oh, that's Trump in between two gray-haired guys (Bill Clinton?) on the left. I wracking my brain to try and figure out why they put Chief Aramaki in there.

Good eye, the judges would have also accepted "Galatianman."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

the_steve posted:

and

Like, when he imagines Assange putting together a Leak document, he's picturing one of those big 80's computers while Julian hacks the mainframe interface and going "I'm in." all the time every time - And not having information handed off to him through his other various sources/however the actual process works.
If it benefits Trump it's good.

If it hurts Trump then it's bad.

That's pretty much the extent of his thought process.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know that he said that, but what is the joke?

Buses are illegal here in New Hampshire because they force you to spend time near other human beings, dangerously increasing the chances of having a conversation with a stranger

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
But in all seriousness the only reason a Massachusettsian would ever, ever travel to New Hampshire after summer's end is to buy tax-free liquor.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Buses are illegal here in New Hampshire because they force you to spend time near other human beings, dangerously increasing the chances of having a conversation with a stranger

Look man it's time to accept that your state's mighty collection of 4 electoral votes was just too tempting a forbidden fruit for SHILLery to resist

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm surprised this Red Panels hasn't popped up yet (unless it's an old one):

Is wrong, no?

Brexit was supported by mayor political groups, I think. Trump is supported by the whole alt-right + mainstream republicans that see it has a way to stop the evolution of USA to a social democracy and undo all that progress done in that direction.

GamersGate and 4chan/pol/b are just small isles in a archipelago of many different alt-right groups. One of he groups, the neo-nazis, has existed since a long time.

4chan and the people around 4chan have this narrative where everything was invented by them, but is usually not the case.

(image is not related)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tei posted:

(image is not related)

then why loving post it

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

INTE-
LLECTUALS

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

King Possum III fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 19, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

King Possum III posted:

1 [IMG]

2 [IMG]

3 [IMG]
Ah ah ah

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Look man it's time to accept that your state's mighty collection of 4 electoral votes was just too tempting a forbidden fruit for SHILLery to resist

I told them, "when you hoard the gold, you beg for dragons." But they just called me a illegal nerd and then un-crammed me from my locker, causing me to exchange a single pleasantry with a person I'd never seen before. He said he was from Maine. Dear god, Maine!!! :cry:

King Possum III posted:

1 [IMG]

2 [IMG]

3 [IMG]

💯

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Sorry, guys; typos have been corrected.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
We still don't have ethics in video games journalism

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Despera posted:

We still don't have ethics in video games journalism

Clearly we weren't doxxing hard enough.

e:

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 19, 2017

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It left out the part where the machine takes at least eighteen painful months to select the turd.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

but what is the bear's opinion on america and apple pie

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tei posted:

Is wrong, no?

Brexit was supported by mayor political groups, I think. Trump is supported by the whole alt-right + mainstream republicans that see it has a way to stop the evolution of USA to a social democracy and undo all that progress done in that direction.

GamersGate and 4chan/pol/b are just small isles in a archipelago of many different alt-right groups. One of he groups, the neo-nazis, has existed since a long time.

4chan and the people around 4chan have this narrative where everything was invented by them, but is usually not the case.

(image is not related)

If you want to see their real power, look at the very successful boycott of Star Wars: Rogue One.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Pants Donkey posted:

If it benefits Trump it's good.

If it hurts Trump then it's bad.

That's pretty much the extent of his thought process.

:fascism101:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Donald Trump speaks to the media - Chris Riddell on the US president’s infamous press conference"

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

Sunday Times:

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Fates End posted:

Honestly, most of the other boards on 4chan (except, like, at least half of the My Little Pony board for some bizarre reason?) hate /pol/, their rhetoric, and especially their tendency to derail every conversation with blatant douchebaggery. The problem is, of course, that /pol/ is the loudest, and possibly at this point the biggest single board on 4chan.

I agree that several points of the article are inaccurate, but in my experience /pol/ ideas are embraced by huge parts of other big boards like /v/, /a/, /b/, and of course /r9k/. As tempting as it is to say that different 4chan boards have vastly different cultures, the reality is that there is plenty of overlap.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Why isnt this clunk BING, thud BONG, thunka thunka BING BONG

Wasted oppurtunity.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

tyblazitar posted:

I agree that several points of the article are inaccurate, but in my experience /pol/ ideas are embraced by huge parts of other big boards like /v/, /a/, /b/, and of course /r9k/. As tempting as it is to say that different 4chan boards have vastly different cultures, the reality is that there is plenty of overlap.

Well, yeah, I did say most. /b/'s been a shitstain from day one, /v/ is the birthplace of gamergate (a movement that, though it originally had some members with a sane agenda, has been completely consumed by anti-SJers and trumpeters), and /r9k/ is where a lot of /pol/ posters hung out before /pol/ was made. I don't really look at /a/ all that much, but is it really that culturally different from /jp/? I know that /jp/, /vg/ and /tg/ are pretty disdainful of /pol/, along with /sci/ and the LGBT boards for obvious reasons.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Good eye, the judges would have also accepted "Galatianman."

Speaking of which, whatever happened to that guy? I remember the last time I checked this thread regularly, he was one of the few relatively non-shithead conservative cartoonists we had here.

Fates End fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 19, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Fates End posted:

gamergate (a movement that, though it originally had some members with a sane agenda,

lmao

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Gamergate started when a crazy person posted a huge Kyoon/DARE-style rant about his ex girlfriend (literally all of which was nonsensical lies) on every site he could (including SA) and gained only gained steam when misogynists from 4chan picked it up and ran with it. In many ways it was a precursor to the current plague of nerd neo-nazis.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Fates End posted:

gamergate (a movement that, though it originally had some members with a sane agenda, has been completely consumed by anti-SJers and trumpeters)

Ah, yes, helping Zoe Quinn's ex ruin her life, under the guise of being mad that she slept with a game reviewer who never reviewed her game

Or perhaps that time they got angry that game journalists were celebrating how diverse gaming had become

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Gamergate started when a crazy person posted a huge Kyoon/DARE-style rant about his ex girlfriend (literally all of which was nonsensical lies) on every site he could (including SA) and gained only gained steam when misogynists from 4chan picked it up and ran with it. In many ways it was a precursor to the current plague of nerd neo-nazis.

Regardless of how it started, on some point there were people who were were legitimately acting against unsavory business practices on video game news websites, like giving obscenely high ratings to games released by their advertisers and a certain website's tendency to rant on and judge the habits of people who played video games and call it 'news'. Of course, a bunch of gamergaters jumped on because they didn't want those dirty ess-jay-double-yews messing with their vidya games and now they completely control it and have converted it into yet another internet Trump rally.

But my point has nothing to do with Gamergate, so there's no reason to derail into an argument on it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fates End posted:

Regardless of how it started, on some point there were people who were were legitimately acting against unsavory business practices on video game news websites, like giving obscenely high ratings to games released by their advertisers and a certain website's tendency to rant on and judge the habits of people who played video games and call it 'news'. Of course, a bunch of gamergaters jumped on because they didn't want those dirty ess-jay-double-yews messing with their vidya games and now they completely control it and have converted it into yet another internet Trump rally.

Nope

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fates End posted:

Speaking of which, whatever happened to that guy? I remember the last time I checked this thread regularly, he was one of the few relatively non-shithead conservative cartoonists we had here.

Lance Rengel is better than most in that he can relate to people on a human level, but he still puts the "right" into "obnoxiously self-righteous Christian".

• Locked thread