Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Today I backed it into the loving stones lining my driveway and ripped up the side of the bumper and OEM aero poo poo. Found a wrecking yard with one in the same color with the aero stuff for $220, so that's not too bad. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Larrymer posted:

Today I backed it into the loving stones lining my driveway and ripped up the side of the bumper and OEM aero poo poo. Found a wrecking yard with one in the same color with the aero stuff for $220, so that's not too bad. :smith:

I hate that feeling when you do something (automotive or not) and you know immediately that you just lost a chunk of money from your action.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Since a good chunk of warm dry weather is headed this way and a wheel swap only takes a few minutes, I put the stock wheels back on the Prelude. It's supposed to be in the 60's here all weekend, and 50's all next week. In February. In Pennsylvania! Sorry for the weird angle of the photo but it's too sunny out for my unaccustomed eyes and I couldn't see the phone screen well.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 17, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

I hate that feeling when you do something (automotive or not) and you know immediately that you just lost a chunk of money from your action.

Yes, I was angry for quite awhile last night afterwards. The guy I'm dealing with at the junkyard is jacking me around, won't tell me an address to pick up the part after asking twice. Keeps dancing around it which is throwing up some red flags.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I treat the ABS plastic bits of the body like trash. I'll replace them from junkyard donors when it's time to sell.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how the hell it happened, but the strut top hat was wedged on and no amount of hammering was getting it off. Went through 8 blades on the saw because both front struts were this way. I had to get them apart to get the Eibach springs moved over to the new Bilstein struts. Rides so much better!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I finished up replacing the hinges on my car today. When I put it away for the winter it was hanging low by about a half inch, and took a lot of effort to close all the way. You have to take the fender off to get at the bolts, so since I broke the head off a bolt near the ground a month ago Ive been spraying the other one with pb blaster and waiting for a warm day. That was today, and the head still snapped. Oh well. Took a few tries to line it back up with the new hinges but now it shuts so nicely, and will stay all the way open on its own.

edit: yes i need washer fluid

Cage fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 18, 2017

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Half-assed washed the new beater. Now to run down some harmless gremlins and start restoring it from good looking at 25 feet to good at 10 feet.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Oil change. Getting that good good.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Gutted 2nd and 3rd row in anticipation of some other work I will be doing, figured out why my fuel gauge doesn't work (sending unit in pieces), figured out why my rear wiper doesn't work and rather than buying a new motor/transmission for $200 from Mercedes or making mine work I am buying a complete tailgate in better shape than mine with a working wiper for $125. Also put some plywood from Tacoma leaf recall pallets

Somewhere along the way I broke a vacuum line in power lock unlock circuit, so now for my car to shut off on its own and shift correctly the doors need to be locked. Just Mercedes things.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I finished separating the ultra-hosed turbo manifold from the turbo on the Civic engine I bought last summer. Things seem alright, but I need to figure out what the spec is for shaft endplay.

Old manifold is total junk, cracks everywhere and booger welding that was clearly not done anywhere near the right settings, but I knew that going into this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jebediah posted:

I don't know how the hell it happened, but the strut top hat was wedged on and no amount of hammering was getting it off. Went through 8 blades on the saw because both front struts were this way. I had to get them apart to get the Eibach springs moved over to the new Bilstein struts. Rides so much better!

LOL what in the actual gently caress?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Hand washed the GTI after getting back from CO where it spent 6 weeks at the body shop.

They didn't do a very good job

The car was less than a month old when they got it.

I did finally put a roof rack on it though!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Can you show some pics of how the rack mounts? I wrapped my roof and I'm worried it may rub.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

LOL what in the actual gently caress?

That's what I'm saying. When I first disassembled the front struts, they came apart super easy. I first reassembled them with the Eibach springs and ran that for about 3k miles. Then I bought Bilstein B8 struts to go with the Eibach springs. Getting the stock struts back apart to get the spring off them was impossible. I'm guessing with the lower travel of the Eibach springs, it allowed me to overtighten the top hat to the point of jamming it on there. :itisamystery:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Can you show some pics of how the rack mounts? I wrapped my roof and I'm worried it may rub.

I'll get some for you today. I was originally going to have clear bra put on the mounting points but after pulling the rack off my mk6 TDI I wasn't at all worried about it rubbing any more.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
And now I'm glad you asked that because it got me looking at the feet of the rack.

Album here

The metal clamps don't really make any contact with the exterior body. The rubber feet should mount up pretty well with the rain channel. I pulled the one off my TDI yesterday and when I wiped everything off you couldn't really tell they'd been on there for 5 years.

However, as you can see in the pictures, the front drivers side foot isn't sitting properly. I've played with it some and can not get it to stay where it needs to be. All of the others are fine. I'd normally just assume the cross bar itself was a little off, but since I just got the car back from a body shop I'm fearful that the frame is bent.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A couple of weeks ago I checked every fuse when replacing the blown one (for windows + washer fluid pump). This caused the 4x4 system in my Ranger to freak out and refuse to believe the intact fuse had been replaced.
A friend suggested disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes to reset things. That worked! Also, I figured out why my dome light wasn't working, even with new bulbs - I'd replaced the fuse for that circuit into the wrong spot, it's next to an unused slot and I hadn't been paying attention.
It's really nice having such easy fixes actually work. Now I just need to find some time to replace the blown instrument cluster bulbs. Shining the little flashlight on my keychain through my steering wheel to see how much gas I have left is getting really old.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
This weekend I got the old carpet and seats out of the 245, vacuumed it out and installed two good condition tan leather seats and matching front carpet. I'm going to leave the rear seat out permanently, gently caress passengers haul cargo.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The blower motor had suddenly gotten much louder in the Prelude so I decided to see how hard it was to pull it out before I ordered a replacement unit. Turns out it's very easy to remove and replace, but it also turns out I don't need a new unit. The mice must be attracted to the chicken feed in the detached garage so now it's time to get some big loving Rubbermaid totes to seal the feed up. I also vacuumed under the ECU kick panel. loving mice.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 23, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What's that pink material? I don't know anything about mice so that's fascinating. Is that a nest?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Probably fiberglass insulation.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Michael Scott posted:

What's that pink material? I don't know anything about mice so that's fascinating. Is that a nest?

Like Rhyno said, it's insulation. There were also feathers and little bits of seeds as well. I haven't noticed any other rodent signs in or near the car, and it doesn't smell like rat piss like when my mom's car got infested so it's actually possible that it is an old nest. The previous owner also kept it in a detached garage and we are in bumfuck central PA so it's all farms and woods. There was no mouse poo poo under or near the car (although there is some in other parts of the garage) and I hadn't been driving the car very often until recently. Usually I have the radio on so I can't hear the HVAC anyway. I dunno, I will just have to keep a closer eye out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I pulled my truck into my driveway, heard a clunk from the rear, then found this:

Leaf shackle broke right in half, clunk was the end of the leaf hitting the bed. Now the truck rides a little low on the rear driver's side...I checked the other side and a screwdriver went right through the shackle there, too. $50 in parts, priceless amounts of blood, sweat, tetanus, and broken bolts. :allears:

For reference, the truck is a 2001 w/130k and has been in Michigan forever and really doesn't look that rusty elsewhere (underneath or body -cab corners and bed haven't rusted through...yet). I think the shackles are just way too thin and lovely.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's impressive. What truck was that?

I think by then Ford was at least using modular shackles, so I'm guessing GM?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 23, 2017

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

The weather strip seal thing on my windshield is separating. What adhesives might be available locally to glue it back down?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elsa posted:

The weather strip seal thing on my windshield is separating. What adhesives might be available locally to glue it back down?

I used RTV to repair the same thing. I masked it off so it wouldn't make a huge mess and used a plastic scraper to smooth it out afterwards so it almost looked new.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's impressive. What truck was that?

I think by then Ford was at least using modular shackles, so I'm guessing GM?

Silverado 1500 ext cab, 5.3L V8. I guess I'm glad it's not the leaf itself that broke but I imagine it'll get chooched (bushing seized to bolt is my guess) when I try to replace it. I saw one video online of a dude having to cut off part of the loving frame to get it off. :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That might require pulling the bed for working space, which would be better than doing anything to your frame that's probably suffering enough from rust as it is.

I bet if you have an air chisel and an angle grinder you can cut the ends off both bolts, blast the remains out of the bushings with the air chisel (use a blunt chisel attachment so you don't swage it permanently into the bushing sleeve like I did once), and then install new bolts and shackle.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

I used RTV to repair the same thing. I masked it off so it wouldn't make a huge mess and used a plastic scraper to smooth it out afterwards so it almost looked new.

Ah cool thanks.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Used trim blackener stuff to get my 968 spoiler looking decent. That stuff is magic and I'm tempted to cover my whole car in it.

Used Kenwood HU keys to try to get out the stereo without luck so now I have to pull the entire center console.

Went to replace the sunroof with a glass aftermarket one and found the arm retracting motor is dead or blew a fuse.

This is a rougher start than anticipated but most importantly I hooked up the durametric to it and there's no faults or anything plus no fluid leaks after sitting a week so the important stuff is confirmed to be in excellent condition. :toot:

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Since Monday I have:

Changed air filter
Flushed coolant
Bled brakes
Changed transmission fluid and filter
Changed transfer case fluid
Changed front and rear differential fluid
Installed new headlight housings
Polished the paint and ceramic coated it
Repaired the broken mounting rail on my tonneau cover

On my other truck I scraped the flaking paint off be roof so I can eventually re paint it, removed the plastidip on the dash covering an old repair from the dash being cracked, and started chasing wiring issues to get both taillights and third brake light working. I also broke the hazard light switch so I'll be replacing that and the turn signal lever in the next couple days.

Productive week.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Since I bought it, every time I come to a stop or start accelerating in the Vibe I hear a noise that sounds like a coin sliding back and forth from somewhere in the dashboard. Pulled the stereo out and the HVAC/shifter surround out last weekend and found a mechanical pencil sitting on the center hump and though that was that. Nope, sound is still there.

Pulled everything apart again, left the stereo out, tied all the wiring harnesses down and stopped and started moving while sticking my head in the dash. Its coming from the airbox that the center dash vents come from. So I'm guessing the PO dropped a coin or something down the vent.

God drat thing looks like the car was built around it. I could maaaaaybe snake a really long magnet down into it, but I am doubtful. The noise may be there as long as I have the car. Its really irritating, too. The blower motor comes out pretty easily, but thats under the glovebox and I'm sure there's all kinds of twists and turns before it gets to that box behind the center vents.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The coin is probably not magnetic anyways, if that's any consolation.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Have you tried holding the car upside down and shaking it?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Sounds like a "set the car on fire" sort of issue.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Ride #1 got new wheels.

Old

New to me

Rework

On truck

Ride #2

I packed the grocery getter full of groceries. Thanks Costco.

It will be receiving two of these shortly.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 24, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I finally sucked it up and bought a new exhaust for the MS6. Old one had a muffler rot off so I'd tossed a cap on that but the noise was still annoying as gently caress. Then the other day the hanger on the left muffler snapped off so it's barely holding on. My timing was right as there's a bunch of sellers blowing out the Magnaflow systems for cheap and I just picked one up. Should be here next week so hopefully my ratchet strap repair lasts that long!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kastein posted:

That might require pulling the bed for working space, which would be better than doing anything to your frame that's probably suffering enough from rust as it is.

I bet if you have an air chisel and an angle grinder you can cut the ends off both bolts, blast the remains out of the bushings with the air chisel (use a blunt chisel attachment so you don't swage it permanently into the bushing sleeve like I did once), and then install new bolts and shackle.

That's my thought. The dude who had to cut off the frame had the be removed already too. :( I don't have an air chisel or torch, this I don't think is going to be a DIY fix. I've never paid a shop to do anything but press work, so I don't think my butthole is ready for the quote I'm about to get. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hmm, everybody is busy this week.

Matrix xrs - did oil/filter last night after work. Stopped by the yoter dealer today and picked up a pair of crush washers for the transaxle fill and drain plugs, gonna tackle that tomorrow.