Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

It's extremely difficult to "out speed" a precog, as things like reaction speed effectively don't matter. You've got to out speed the nerve impulses themselves.

I really really doubt Deku can manage that sort of speed. All Might in his prime very probably couldn't do it.

It's much slower. Even if brain signals travel at the speed of light, muscles don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

It's extremely difficult to "out speed" a precog, as things like reaction speed effectively don't matter. You've got to out speed the nerve impulses themselves.

I really really doubt Deku can manage that sort of speed. All Might in his prime very probably couldn't do it.

Actually your brain only works at about 300ms and it's even slower with sending and receiving input from nerves :eng101:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

yeah, after i said that i did the math and it's a lot slower than i thought. You've still probably got to outspeed the nerve singnals by a solid bit, but All Might could have probably done it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The point isn't to move faster than his reactions, dummies. It's to move so fast that even if he literally reacts instantly, in 0ms, he can't get out of the way because his body simply cannot move fast enough compared to Deku.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Slime posted:

The point isn't to move faster than his reactions, dummies. It's to move so fast that even if he literally reacts instantly, in 0ms, he can't get out of the way because his body simply cannot move fast enough compared to Deku.

Problem with that strategy is deku has the same nerve limits as sir.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Condiv posted:

But not the same muscle limits.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Besides, prediction isn't as amazing as movies, anime and manga like to make it out to be, not unless you get the secondary ability to speed up your mental processes enough to deal with it and even then it's still not going to be as amazing as presented.

If Mike Tyson told me he was going to punch me with his right fist when it reaches zero on a countdown clock and I can try to dodge all I want within the confines of a small room, I will still get hit no matter how I try to dodge or move around in the room! Presuming that he wasn't underestimating me and even if he was, I wouldn't be able to avoid the second followup.

And the specs difference between me and Tyson is much smaller than the gap Deku should have to a physically fit but otherwise normal human in Sir.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember a minor villain in Soul Eater who had the prediction power. After explaining it he instantly surrendered. Stating he saw that he had no chance of victory.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ChronoReverse posted:

Besides, prediction isn't as amazing as movies, anime and manga like to make it out to be, not unless you get the secondary ability to speed up your mental processes enough to deal with it and even then it's still not going to be as amazing as presented.

If Mike Tyson told me he was going to punch me with his right fist when it reaches zero on a countdown clock and I can try to dodge all I want within the confines of a small room, I will still get hit no matter how I try to dodge or move around in the room! Presuming that he wasn't underestimating me and even if he was, I wouldn't be able to avoid the second followup.

And the specs difference between me and Tyson is much smaller than the gap Deku should have to a physically fit but otherwise normal human in Sir.

In a match between people of similar skill and physical capability, prediction is a complete and utter game changer. I'd imagine Sir has trained a lot in terms of using his predictions and getting out of the way, but is it enough to actually make a difference when it comes to the ridiculously fast heroes that exist? I'd say his prediction power is actually a lot more useful for helping his fellow heroes rather than him using it directly on enemies. It's a lot easier to make eye and hand contact on someone who's letting you, and then he can use the predictions of what his buddy will do in order to help them.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

MonsterEnvy posted:

I remember a minor villain in Soul Eater who had the prediction power. After explaining it he instantly surrendered. Stating he saw that he had no chance of victory.

Yeah, that's kind of how I've been interpreting Sir's power so far. He gets a detailed run-down of everything that the target will do for the next hour rather than immediate foreknowledge of what they're doing RIGHT NOW--whether it adjusts itself to any actions taken to change "fate" on behalf of the user is unclear.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ChronoReverse posted:

Besides, prediction isn't as amazing as movies, anime and manga like to make it out to be

This is a manga

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

if you think prediction is silly in manga you should check out a western superhero comic book sometime

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ChronoReverse posted:

Besides, prediction isn't as amazing as movies, anime and manga like to make it out to be,

Yes please tell me how this enhanced super power version of a vague concept works in the real world instead of these super hero comics because this is definitely not a thread for a super hero comics.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
MHA does somewhat goes a little further into establishing more realistic/plausible limits to what these powers can do. "Oh I can punch really hard!? OW MY SHOULDER!"

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

NecroMonster posted:

deku runs at increidbly hihg sspeed

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Quirks are grounded and realistic in the same way that stands are in JoJo.

Which is to say that they aren't, at all, and any explanations are just technobabble.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

MHA does somewhat goes a little further into establishing more realistic/plausible limits to what these powers can do. "Oh I can punch really hard!? OW MY SHOULDER!"

It also repeatedly reinforces the idea that to be a great hero requires extensive training to be at peak physical + mental condition and complete quirk mastery. Like how Aizawa is basically a regular human against anyone with a permanent physical transformation, but you know he'd still be a match for most of them. Deku might be fast and strong but this guy probably had plenty of practice with All Might. Deku is only going to beat him if he does something which All Might wouldn't have done.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Piriwi posted:

Deku is only going to beat him if he does something which All Might wouldn't have done.

Weird, it's almost like this opponent is perfectly suited to test him nearly immediately following the development of his new fighting style.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

Does he tho? OFA can possibly enhance any part of the user. Somehow it snapped deku out of mind control and allmight could use it to pump up his looks after being emaciated

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Elfgames posted:

Does he tho? OFA can possibly enhance any part of the user. Somehow it snapped deku out of mind control and allmight could use it to pump up his looks after being emaciated

Plus since the person with OFA has super speed and we haven't seen All Might or Deku just running into/through things all willy nilly, the implication is that their reaction and comprehension speeds are quite elevated.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Elfgames posted:

gently caress knew someone was gonna bring up the mind control thing

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I imagine that Sir's foresight is so good that he can basically see what you're going to do from a mile away, and start moving to counter your attack before the idea to attack actually comes to your mind.

So I think it's less a matter of moving faster than he can avoid, and more trying to predict in advance where he has to move in order to evade your attack, in order to force him into a corner where, even if he can predict what you're doing, it doesn't matter, because he can only do one or two things, and at that point it becomes a physical contest.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

JT Jag posted:

I imagine that Sir's foresight is so good that he can basically see what you're going to do from a mile away, and start moving to counter your attack before the idea to attack actually comes to your mind.

So I think it's less a matter of moving faster than he can avoid, and more trying to predict in advance where he has to move in order to evade your attack, in order to force him into a corner where, even if he can predict what you're doing, it doesn't matter, because he can only do one or two things, and at that point it becomes a physical contest.

He could still be out-sped this way, but you'd have to use a multi-hit combo. He might dodge the first one or two, but the speed at which the attacks come are faster than his speed dodging them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah you would need to chain enough actions quickly enough that knowing what they will be isn't much help. Which is basically what people have been saying with nerve reactions etc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The idea of using foresight in this manner doesn't really make sense to begin with, since your opponent would change thier actions depending on your actions. So it would only really work until they took an action against their opponent.

The only alternative is if it's the sort of foresight where they literally see the silhouette of where their opponent will be next, but that also wouldn't be good enough to deal with an opponent who is significantly faster.

But none of this really matters because this is a manga and in manga foresight almost always translates to "always winning in fights unless a clever trick is used."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Who wins in a chess/shogi match, a Time Traveler who is always able to reset back to where he was at any point of the game or a psychic with telepathy able to predict your next four to five moves?

I really want to see this match up in an anime at some point; but the current discussion reminds me of this; how OP something like "Foresight" is always is going to depend on how its implemented; "Moving faster than the person with foresight can react" is just the standard shounen/comic book victory condition; or just being so much stronger that it doesn't matter.

Maybe it's being set up like that and we'll see it happen in a novel way as MHA's strength is playing the genre rather straight but in a refreshing way.

Or maybe we'll see some other way of resolving it, like Deku's Hat is basically carefully observing peoples quirks and figuring out a work around.

The option of "He can predict Deku but not something that isn't Deku" suggested seems like a good shot.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The other way to beat him is to put him in a situation where he chooses to lose. For example, if, in order to prevent an important item from being broken by Deku's flailing, he allows the stamp to become accessible long enough to force the paper onto it, he may choose to save the item and allow the stamp.

It wouldn't be the easiest thing to do, though, and definitely relies on a better explanation of how exactly his quirk works.

And, since it only lasts for an hour, you may be able to hide outcomes from him. Secretly get the paper stamped, act like you lost, and go ride the bus for an hour, and he won't know that he actually lost.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 19, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

NecroMonster posted:

if you think prediction is silly in manga you should check out a western superhero comic book sometime

Predicting isn't really a thing in western comics so why

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Oh man he's totally gonna threaten the tapestry isn't he

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Aurora posted:

Oh man he's totally gonna threaten the tapestry isn't he

ok yeah this is gonna be it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

but my spidey senses are tingling

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

the last marvel event was all about precognition

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kild posted:

but my spidey senses are tingling
Even that is just a bad thing is happening somewhere close and is not nearly at the level here.

Manatee Cannon posted:

the last marvel event was all about precognition

And he was bad at it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

There've been a few folks who can do this. Cass Cain and Lady Shiva from DC, Mr. X from Marvel, and the Midnighter from The Authority. I think Clock King's got in on it at times, too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think Barbara Gordon picked up a version of that too very recently, but apparently she has to turn off conscious thought to do it or something.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
My first thought was that episode of BtAS where Clock King outfought Batman, and his deal was just that he was a dude with a really good sense of timing. If you can buy that one, a dude with actual clairvoyance outfighting superpowered guys isn't quite so far-fetched.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Who wins in a chess/shogi match, a Time Traveler who is always able to reset back to where he was at any point of the game or a psychic with telepathy able to predict your next four to five moves?
Presumably, the psychic would quickly realize something is up, because after every move, the complete structure of his opponent's plans changes. So, the time traveler would win, but only if the psychic was incredibly stubborn and/or an idiot. Prediction can't beat perfect play, but perfect play is not natural play.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I sorta remember reading a writing prompt with a similar narrative, only with a mind reader and future reader instead.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What you just made an All Might face at was your future self...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I always thought Mistborn's handling of clashing precognitive powers was interesting. Oh so you can see what I'm going to do? We'll now I can too, and the feedback loop from our powers is going to create so many possible futures that neither of us will know what's going to happen. Or course, when powers are fueled by ingesting trace amounts of metal, it becomes a battle of attrition to see who runs out of their precog alloy first.