Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Thanks for the heads up

Jailbreaks also stop the constant iOS update reminders right? Isn't that part of the JB

No, you need to install Mikoto for that.

https://cydia.angelxwind.net/?page/net.angelxwind.mikoto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

bobfather posted:

Laffo. 10.2 signing window is closed.

welp

I was seconds away from clicking update. Is there no way around this?

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 31, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just to reference iphone 7/7+ need 10.x-10.1.1 and the others (iphone 6/6s? Idk) need 10.2, which, as said above, is not being signed anymore

I get y'all love your stable ios7 jb but when a known developer says update to iOSwhatever it's worth the gamble

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Just to reference iphone 7/7+ need 10.x-10.1.1 and the others (iphone 6/6s? Idk) need 10.2, which, as said above, is not being signed anymore

So, what, can 6+ still update?

quote:

I get y'all love your stable ios7 jb but when a known developer says update to iOSwhatever it's worth the gamble

I wasn't holding out because I loved a stable jailbreak or whatever, I just didn't pay attention to the ios thing for the past however many years. v:shobon:v Figures, the moment I decide to look into it again, I'm literally seconds too late.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 31, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Zigmidge posted:

Now that that's a thing I googled Prometheus but can't find a download. Can someone hold my hand on this? Not sure what I'm supposed to be doing here. I did save my blobs from that one website...

https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/5pu8x4/tutorial_how_to_upgradedowngrade_to_ios_102_using/?ref=search_posts

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Yuss thank you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ah so the i7 10.1.1 JB is still beta. Guess I'll wait and see what happens...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Binary Badger posted:

Speaking as someone who just made the jump from 8.4 to 10.2, I concur! Especially if you have a 5S! Why not flex some of that 64-bit muscle?

My only regret is that KillBackground9 doesn't work on 10; a whole bunch of other tweaks do work, though..

http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-10-ios-10.1.1-ios-10.2-compatible-cydia-jailbreak-tweaks-list/

Yeah, well all you have to do is re-run the yalu app to get your JB'd phone back.

Sadly, restoring 10.2 wiped out nearly all the tweaks I had running in iOS 8, now it's just a matter of hoping the devs rewrite for 10.2.

Even Cydia itself seems to be 32-bit? Well, guess it doesn't have to be 64-bit..

the 64 bit version of cyida is out now, but filled with bugs. Stay on the 32 bit version.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

bobfather posted:

Laffo. 10.2 signing window is closed.
I guess I'm glad I updated this morning. But not very impressed by anything in 10.2 as of yet. BetterFiveIconDock is something I'd like.
Is there an alternative?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Djimi posted:

I guess I'm glad I updated this morning. But not very impressed by anything in 10.2 as of yet. BetterFiveIconDock is something I'd like.
Is there an alternative?

BetterFiveIconDock works just fine, now that IconSupport is implemented and updated for iOS 10.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

The Iron Rose posted:

BetterFiveIconDock works just fine, now that IconSupport is implemented and updated for iOS 10.
Oh, I had to 'downgrade' to v 1.02 for it to work. Also didn't know it needed IconSupport.
After updating tar, dpkg and Cydia itself to beta, as it was buggy, seems like things are working, however:

Anyone know why OpenSSH isn't working? Just stalls forever here:
code:
ssh -vvv root@10.9.8.7 (iphone address)
debug1: blah blah blah
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.9
:confused:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Not compatible yet.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Djimi posted:

Oh, I had to 'downgrade' to v 1.02 for it to work. Also didn't know it needed IconSupport.
After updating tar, dpkg and Cydia itself to beta, as it was buggy, seems like things are working, however:

Anyone know why OpenSSH isn't working? Just stalls forever here:
code:
ssh -vvv root@10.9.8.7 (iphone address)
debug1: blah blah blah
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.9
:confused:

Open SSH isn't compatible with the jailbreak. I'd also upgrade cydia to 1.26 at least. The problematic version is 1.28.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Anyone who has updated to 10.2 should understand that while yes, the jailbreak itself is great and works fine and will get any small bugs sorted out in the relative-near future, the majority of tweaks are not updated, and some are dangerous to install. In fact, there is one specific, very popular Cydia tweak that will straight up boot loop your phone if you install it now, meaning you'll have to restore and lose your jailbreak.

Now go do your due diligence and figure out what that tweak is, don't install it, and in the process come upon the compatibility lists that will tell you everything that is safe to install!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So I managed to save my blobs at the prescribed website, does having these blobs help me for any subsequent JBs?

Never mind, saving the blobs will let me re-jailbreak with Prometheus, if I so choose, at a later date.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 31, 2017

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

bobfather posted:

Now go do your due diligence and figure out what that tweak is, don't install it, and in the process come upon the compatibility lists that will tell you everything that is safe to install!
You're very helpful. Instead of being a tease with condescension, how about post useful information? I've JB'd every phone I've owned, successfully. Thank you. :tipshat:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Djimi posted:

You're very helpful. Instead of being a tease with condescension, how about post useful information? I've JB'd every phone I've owned, successfully. Thank you. :tipshat:

Only little babies need to be spoon fed. I've also already posted a link that has a link to compatibility spreadsheets.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS
Hi guys. Got a bit of a thorny issue on my hands, hoping I can find a little help here. I'm on a 6s with 10.2 using Yalu's beta 1 right now, and I'm trying to restore a clean 10.2 install and re-jb on top of that. Trouble is, it seems something is corrupted inside my iphone's file structure that's causing itunes to abort every backup I try, and i have no older backups to fall back to. If I try to back up to my Mac, it throws without fail an "insufficient storage" error which i find quite unlikely (128g iphone against an empty 256g mac), and if i try to reroute the backup with a symbolic link to a large external drive I’m met with “backup corrupt or not compatible.” My questions are this:

* I installed a piece of software I found by the name of “syncios” with a real-time logging feature, figuring there’s a corrupt file somewhere in my iPhone’s structure that’s failing the backup. Only problem is I’m not too versed in log reading and it spits out what mostly appears to be gobbledygook. Is there any kind of key phrase or section I should be on the lookout for to find what file/files the backup is failing on so I can go in and 86 them?
* Failing that, are their any resources available to perform a manual, completely itunes-free backup of some kind? Any special places I can start looking around the file structure to import things manually? I’m mostly concerned with offloading pictures, messages and the contents of an app or two. Are those the sorts of things that can be backed up/restored manually with root/file manager access or would iOS pitch a fit at finding something that iTunes didn’t put in there?

Thanks for the help you guys, hopefully someone can help me find some answers to this. I’m kind of stuck in limbo until I can get this figured out :/ Thanks again!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Djimi posted:

From what I can tell, installing AppSync will force your device into a bootloop.

bobfather posted:

Only little babies need to be spoon fed. I've also already posted a link that has a link to compatibility spreadsheets.

Gooooooooooo gently caress yourself

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Yeah he actually was helpful, more than either of you have been, so maybe take a deep breath and go back to trading match 3 games in the ios games thread if being asked to do a bit of research bothers you that much.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Hi guys. Got a bit of a thorny issue on my hands, hoping I can find a little help here. I'm on a 6s with 10.2 using Yalu's beta 1 right now, and I'm trying to restore a clean 10.2 install and re-jb on top of that. Trouble is, it seems something is corrupted inside my iphone's file structure that's causing itunes to abort every backup I try, and i have no older backups to fall back to. If I try to back up to my Mac, it throws without fail an "insufficient storage" error which i find quite unlikely (128g iphone against an empty 256g mac), and if i try to reroute the backup with a symbolic link to a large external drive I’m met with “backup corrupt or not compatible.” My questions are this:

* I installed a piece of software I found by the name of “syncios” with a real-time logging feature, figuring there’s a corrupt file somewhere in my iPhone’s structure that’s failing the backup. Only problem is I’m not too versed in log reading and it spits out what mostly appears to be gobbledygook. Is there any kind of key phrase or section I should be on the lookout for to find what file/files the backup is failing on so I can go in and 86 them?
* Failing that, are their any resources available to perform a manual, completely itunes-free backup of some kind? Any special places I can start looking around the file structure to import things manually? I’m mostly concerned with offloading pictures, messages and the contents of an app or two. Are those the sorts of things that can be backed up/restored manually with root/file manager access or would iOS pitch a fit at finding something that iTunes didn’t put in there?

Thanks for the help you guys, hopefully someone can help me find some answers to this. I’m kind of stuck in limbo until I can get this figured out :/ Thanks again!

If you have Mikoto or No PLS recovery installed that'll stop itunes from being able to restore. Definitely the latter, unsure of the former. Uninstall all your poo poo at any rate.

I have my own problem as well. Re-JB'd and everything's great actually. Only problem is that for whatever reason I keep getting signed out of google chrome whenever I'm jailbroken. It's super annoying. It won't sign in, or stay signed in, and I have no idea what's causing it.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I saved blobs for 10.2 for both my 6+ and iPad Pro. Not sure if I'll JB even when Promethius comes out, but worth doing just incase.

9.3.3 has been running without any issues what so ever, it's not worth risking that for me. I don't have the time or effort any more to have things mess up for me.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

bobfather posted:

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah he actually was helpful, [blah blah] if being asked to do a bit of research bothers...
I guess it makes sense that trolls would want to JB their devices. BTW, you didn't help, or understand my post I guess; and it wasn't to do with compatibility (from the list, that I already had checked out).

But hopefully you scored some points in these 'comedy forums' we all love so dearly. Taste it later.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

In case anyone needs it, here's a step by step guide to using Prometheus. It's been released and is actually several different programs, the author calls the suite of them Prometheus. Requires a Mac at the moment and is somewhat complex to implement.

http://www.ipodhacks142.com/how-to-restore-to-ios-10-2-unsigned-using-prometheus-on-iphone-ipod-touch-or-ipad/

Edit: here's another link explaining Prometheus and gives a download link to all Prometheus files in one zip file near the end of the article:

http://www.redmondpie.com/download-prometheus-to-downgrade-upgrade-ios-with-shsh2-blobs-heres-how/

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 1, 2017

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
"compatibility spreadsheets"

Good thing I stayed on 9.3

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

In case anyone needs it, here's a step by step guide to using Prometheus. It's been released and is actually several different programs, the author calls the suite of them Prometheus. Requires a Mac at the moment and is somewhat complex to implement.

http://www.ipodhacks142.com/how-to-restore-to-ios-10-2-unsigned-using-prometheus-on-iphone-ipod-touch-or-ipad/

Edit: here's another link explaining Prometheus and gives a download link to all Prometheus files in one zip file near the end of the article:

http://www.redmondpie.com/download-prometheus-to-downgrade-upgrade-ios-with-shsh2-blobs-heres-how/

Anyone interested should follow the tutorial, but I highly recommend downloading all the software directly from the author of Prometheus, unless you don’t mind mining bitcoins on your computer for someone else.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Bill Barber posted:

"compatibility spreadsheets"

Good thing I stayed on 9.3

Don’t be daft. iOS 9 had compatibility spreadsheets in its early days also. In fact, the iOS 9 days were totally disappointing because after the jailbreaks started dropping people realized BiteSMS wasn’t, and would never be made compatible with iOS 9+.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

bobfather posted:

Don’t be daft. iOS 9 had compatibility spreadsheets in its early days also. In fact, the iOS 9 days were totally disappointing because after the jailbreaks started dropping people realized BiteSMS wasn’t, and would never be made compatible with iOS 9+.

BiteSMS has been dead since ios8 JB. RIP you magnificent bastard.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So how do I install Kodi on iOS 10? Why doesn't Kodi's website have .app files any longer? It wants me to do some signing exploit instead of giving a .app option for jailbreakers.

Honestly I am actually amazed Kodi wouldn't be compatible with iOS10 but it is with iOS9. I figured incompatibility was reserved more for system hack type stuff.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
So far so good. Most of the best stuff has been subsumed by Apple. Most of the tweaks are razzle dazzle now. Evanesco is fun. And this (I was bored, so I tried it):

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Fiddly diddlies are nice and all, but system level ad blocking is really all I want out of my jailbreak. I'll be content with 8.1.2 until an ios 11 jailbreak is a thing.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Bummey posted:

Fiddly diddlies are nice and all, but system level ad blocking is really all I want out of my jailbreak. I'll be content with 8.1.2 until an ios 11 jailbreak is a thing.
Yeah, I hear you.

Sys Admin control of the device, that's all I really want. But a few things available now are good. It's fairly stable.
I am sure that I'll need to get a new phone when 11 comes out. Apple will make sure of that I think.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My wife's phone has a bad proximity sensor (and changing the whole sensor assembly didn't fix it)

Is there a jailbreak tweak that can help her stop ending and muting calls with her ear?

I see "CallLock," but it's listed as unsuppported and hasn't been updated in 4 years.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
I took the plunge last night and used Prometheus/FutureRestore to update my 9.3.3 iPhone 6 to 10.2.

I had to borrow my girlfriend's mac (because I don't have one and VMWare ran like dog doodoo) so a lot of the time spent was on installing dependencies for the mac to work correctly. Once the mac was set up correctly, Prometheus was smooth sailing and the update went without a hitch.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
I've been googling all I can but I can't find a trusted answer. Is there a jailbreak of 10.2 for the iPhone 7 yet?

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
No. Not yet. Yalu only works on 10.1.1 for the iphone7, for now. Luca has been "busy" doing other things instead of working on Yalu things.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Poala Bear posted:

No. Not yet. Yalu only works on 10.1.1 for the iphone7, for now. Luca has been "busy" doing other things instead of working on Yalu things.

He's not busy working on a 10.2 jailbreak for the iPhone 7. There isn't one, and never will be from him. This has been known since around the time of the 10.1x jailbreak.

Edit: to be more clear, the iPhone 7 has more protection built into it than phones before it. These protections are enforced on 10.2 on the 7, and while they could be cracked it would involve using and revealing exploits that the jailbreak devs don't want to reveal, possibly because it would make their lives harder when trying to jailbreak future iOS versions.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 19, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Is there a stable 10.1.1 iphone 7 jb yet

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

There has been for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Stable? Isn't it still beta 3 or whatever

• Locked thread