Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Some pics from last night:

Champion's Square from afar. It is basically a big party with some other poo poo going on, too. I didn't get close enough before the events to really check it out because I was running late and it was a private event after everything was done.

People filtering into the arena. That's a piece of the Superdome on the right.

Better pic of how huge the Superdome is in comparison to the Blender.

And an image of just the Superdome itself. The lighting system was used to advertise All-Star Weekend.

The Rebirth statue of Steve Gleason blocking a Falcons punt which led to a Saints touchdown during their first home game back from Katrina. It probably doesn't mean much to anyone that's not a local, but it was an important event down here.

A bunch of hats for sale. One for each team and then some just for the event.

My favorite of those hats. Unfortunately, flat bills look absolutely terrible on me so I didn't buy it. :(

Some throwback NOLA Jazz shirts. I wanted the purple one, but the Large was too big and that was the only one they had left, so I bought a white one.

The pork belly po' boy I had at the game. Yes, that's coleslaw on it. It was pretty darn good. The meat was tender, sauce was mildly tangy, and the slaw wasn't too sweet.

My seats for the night. This was taken at the beginning of the skills challenge. The 3pt contest and dunk contest were done at the goal closest to me.

The stage that the music performers used. I missed whatever act was on before the skills challenge and from what other people have told me, that is a good thing?

I had fun, tbh. The actual contests were meh to boring, but it was nice being surrounded by other basketball fans. Got to see AK47 during lunch, which was unexpected. Created and used my first Uber account.

Got to meet and hang out with an online friend in-person for the first time. He had some cool friends, too. They were part of the Chewbacchus parade but that started rolling after I had to leave to make it to the arena so I didn't get to see them. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

straight up brolic posted:

Last year was the best dunk contest ever

You kids. 2000 was the last time it was great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0pb3aSmpVE

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
The dunk contest was bad because the arena doesn't have Air in the name, that's my theory

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYbdBFTysQI

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lw9sk4VuPg

you decide

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
This face from the 2000 dunk contest after Vince Carter's arm in the hoop dunk wins it for me

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Vince was the best dunker out of the entire group no doubt, but Gordon and Lavine are in his tier and everyone else in both competitions is a tier below. Larry Hughes is in a tier alone

the mean lunch lady posted:

This face from the 2000 dunk contest wins it for me

lmao i posted that on twitter yesterday. we should get michael keaton to react to every dunk contest

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
2000 was better at the moment and more significant because the contest had been literally dead and Vince singlehandidly saved it, but the dunks last year were better.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the aaron gordon under the legs dunk is literally the best dunk i have ever seen and i watch bullshit like teamflightboys and the dunk king

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I agree. Aaron Gordon and Zach LaVine's dunks all are at worst matching Vince's dunks and are way better the 2000 dunk contest weak windmills

the aaron gordon under the legs dunk is literally the best dunk i have ever seen and i watch bullshit like teamflightboys and the dunk king

it is absolutely insane

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Vince windmill 360 still holds up as an all timer but otherwise I think Gordon and Lavine were better. And yeah the under the legs dunk is the best one in the history of the contest

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 19, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The sequence when Gordon did a cupped-head spin dunk off a mascot and Lavine basically did the same thing solo right after is one of the best moments.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

the mean lunch lady posted:

This face from the 2000 dunk contest after Vince Carter's arm in the hoop dunk wins it for me

The best was the quiet of the crowd after the dunk, they literally could not believe what they had seen until the replay confirmed that they hadn't hallucinated.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Last year's dunk contest was superbly entertaining but they're just so far and few between now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I liked the scoop dunk with the spinning mascot more than the under legs dunk. I was screaming.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The mascot one was amazing because of the timing involved. He nailed it perfectly and put extra poo poo in it

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I think of it as an under-the-butt dunk not an under the legs dunk

you freakin' pilgrims refusin' to say the bad word

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Your boy Giannis Salabatudo

https://instagram.com/p/BQrgrcIlaTS/

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The dunk contest is dead!

Yeah!

Also, shoutout to my boy Nick Young for not embarrassing himself in the 3 point contest

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

I think of it as an under-the-butt dunk not an under the legs dunk

you freakin' pilgrims refusin' to say the bad word

The ball doesn't go under his butt!!!!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/833154928960999425/video/1

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Stevie Francis's dunks hold up really well because of his hang time and posing in the air. Poor Jerry Stackhouse did almost the same dunk as VC, but it looked like nothing because he got about half as far off the ground. mcgrady was a sign of things to come, with the long guy who could still get up and air pedal to give what looked like more airtime.

Francis even got shaved head Tim Duncan in his jc penny button up to stand up and clap.

In 2016 Even Drummond had some hangime.
What's surprising is how similar the non magical dunks from Gordon are to VC's. The difference is that he used his speed and power to make them look more especatacular and had the greatest use of mascot ever. Lavine floated the air so gracefully, like a male ballet ruse dancer, it's hardly fair to judge them against each other. They really deserved a quadruple win, 2 wins for both men.

Maybe the rule is one great dunk contest per generation

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 19, 2017

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/833371832929624064

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

LeBron not in his normal media mode is my poo poo. "I don't know if these people appreciate what is going on tonight. We got the motherfucking hot boys in this motherfucker right now"

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
LeBron needs to win MVP for that reunion.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

xbilkis posted:

Boston people: what's the deal with Jaylen Brown?

Seems like there's a huge gulf between the fanbase's love for the guy and his actual production. Is he Showing Flashes that suggest he might legitimately turn into something spectacular, or is it just homerism making people go "we have a young guy that's pretty good occasionally! We've struck it rich!"

Coming into the season he looked raw as hell, at LEAST 2-3 years away from even being able to tell what kind of player he would be. Right now the fact he can play at all is a revelation.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

evil_cheese posted:

Coming into the season he looked raw as hell, at LEAST 2-3 years away from even being able to tell what kind of player he would be. Right now the fact he can play at all is a revelation.

He' still 2-3 years away.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://longreads.com/2017/02/17/why-you-should-cheer-for-derrick-jones-jr-in-the-nbas-slam-dunk-contest/
A littlyle geste about Derrick Jones Jr

The summary: He was a highly rated hs prospect who left UNLV after 1 year and can jump very high

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
SHOULD I

watch the all star game tonight, to catch sweet sweet nba drama droppings in my gaping maw

OR

go hang out at the bar at a sinbad show

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Brolander posted:

SHOULD I

watch the all star game tonight, to catch sweet sweet nba drama droppings in my gaping maw

OR

go hang out at the bar at a sinbad show

Have you seen the commercial of the guy at his kid's birthday party watching the ESPN app???! You could be that guy!!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

The ball doesn't go under his butt!!!!!

What The gently caress

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Greek Freak needs to step up and defend his ancient forefathers on the flat earth nonsense. If nothing else, he needs to sit right next to Kyrie on the bench and never stop talking to him about Pythagoras and Eratosthenes.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Kevin Love won $500,000 for cancer by stopping Steph Curry's halfcourt shots

Cool Buff Man posted:

? Who talks about Jaylen Brown

I called him the best true rookie (to exclude Embiid) early in the season but that is pretty meaningless so far

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

I called him the best true rookie (to exclude Embiid) early in the season but that is pretty meaningless so far

Yeah, that's pretty much my feeling. I'm also especially willing to give him an extra time cushion because he's so athletic that even if it takes him a while to figure "it" out it'll be worth the wait. Nothing special about his play at the moment though

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The best "true rookie" (=<24) ladder is:

-Brogdon by a mile

-some foreign permutation of Willy and Juancho Hernangomii, Bertans, Dario Saric, Abrines and Siakam.

-Dorian Finney Smith, McCaw, and Caris LeVert

-Yogi Ferrell and Andrew Harrison.

-Chriss

-Buddy and Jamal Murray.

Everyone else.

It's hard to overstate how bad everyone else has been.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The best "true rookie" (=<24) ladder is:

-Brogdon by a mile

-some foreign permutation of Willy and Juancho Hernangomii, Bertans, Dario Saric, Abrines and Siakam.

-Dorian Finney Smith, McCaw, and Caris LeVert

-Yogi Ferrell and Andrew Harrison.

-Chriss

-Buddy and Jamal Murray.

Everyone else.

It's hard to overstate how bad everyone else has been.

Yeah I don't even see how Brown makes the top 10 list for anything other than potential.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I assume Maker was disqualified based on your under 24 qualification

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Buddy has been pretty good. I think he tops out as a one-dimensional shooter but this draft class has been poop.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Hand Row posted:

I assume Maker was disqualified based on your under 24 qualification
also because he's played 200 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Kibner posted:

The pork belly po' boy I had at the game. Yes, that's coleslaw on it. It was pretty darn good. The meat was tender, sauce was mildly tangy, and the slaw wasn't too sweet.

I'm hell of jealous. The way Rockets tickets prices are going it may actually make more financial sense for me to drive to New Orleans to see a Rockets game tho

• Locked thread