Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Sounds like my jam.

I'm okay with fluff that stands on its own, like creature habits and habitats (or how intelligent monsters choose to organize their societies), but I couldn't care less about the Forgotten Realms as a specific, consistent place, nor any of its major power players, events, or concepts. D&D to me is just a kitchen sink fantasy grab bag for me to pull out the stuff I want and discard the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Fir bolg's innate Detect Magic/Disguise Self ability still costs a spell slot right?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bad Seafood posted:

Sounds like my jam.

I'm okay with fluff that stands on its own, like creature habits and habitats (or how intelligent monsters choose to organize their societies), but I couldn't care less about the Forgotten Realms as a specific, consistent place, nor any of its major power players, events, or concepts. D&D to me is just a kitchen sink fantasy grab bag for me to pull out the stuff I want and discard the rest.

Then yes Volo is for you. Despite having an FR character in it's name it is a generic D&D book. Everything in Volo's fluff wise falls into the habits and habitats stuff.

Reposting the Table of Contents on the new page.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 19, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Fir bolg's innate Detect Magic/Disguise Self ability still costs a spell slot right?

I don't think so. But let me check.

Edit: No they do not cost a spell slot. They are just once a rest.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I do like Volo's interpretation of Asimars, and if I ever find my way into a 5e game again I'll probably be playing Asimar Light warlock.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Kurieg posted:

I do like Volo's interpretation of Asimars, and if I ever find my way into a 5e game again I'll probably be playing Asimar Light warlock.

isn't "Light warlock" just straight-up trolling at this point?

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
I'm a veteran DM coming into 5ed blind (as in I haven't played it as a player). Is there anything I need to know or watch out for before I hop in? Are there any rules outside the core that are 'must haves'?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Two Headed Calf posted:

I'm a veteran DM coming into 5ed blind (as in I haven't played it as a player). Is there anything I need to know or watch out for before I hop in? Are there any rules outside the core that are 'must haves'?

Don't. It's bad. Whatever you liked playing before will be more fun and a better game.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Two Headed Calf posted:

Late game class balance is bad and monster CR is only a rough suggestion especially at low levels. Beyond that you'll figure it out before it becomes an issue.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Consider giving players extra HP at level 1, or not starting at level 1. Suggestions range from +10 base HP to raw Constitution score.

Remember that groups are expected to have a Short Rest roughly once every 2 combat encounters.

Remember to award Inspiration.

Consider converting hit dice healing into a 1 to 1 point based system.

Be generous with letting non casters pass skill checks automatically if it's within their narrative wheelhouse, even if the feat isn't strictly grounded in physical reality.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

AlphaDog posted:

The RC has a skill system. I thought it was somewhere in the BECMI books too but I guess my memory's playing tricks on me. Or else I just can't spot it this morning.

Yeah, this is what I was referring to: I tend to use BECMI and RC interchangeably, although I realize it can easily lead to confusion. To my knowledge the system that made it into RC premiered in one of the Gazetteers, with further Gazetteers adding new skills, and RC basically compiled the skill system along with most of the skills from the Gazetteers (and probably some new ones).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

P.d0t posted:

isn't "Light warlock" just straight-up trolling at this point?

In the sense that it's a contradiction or in the sense that it's super powerful?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Tir McDohl posted:

What are good monsters thematically to pair with a green hag?

Did D&D ever do winged primates?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Kurieg posted:

In the sense that it's a contradiction or in the sense that it's super powerful?

The latter.

On another topic, I was looking at the Ranger/Rogue UA again just now, and goddamn is that lv17 Scout feature a useless piece of poo poo.

UA posted:

"If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can make one additional attack as a bonus action. This attack can benefit from your Sneak Attack even if you have already used it this turn, but only if the attack is the only one you make against the target this turn"

So basically you can can use a single rapier to do 1d8+stat+[Sneak Attack] to two dudes, but not twice on the same guy.

Also, the lv3 ability "Skirmisher" is great except it's a reaction, so only once per round. Much the same problem of monsters conga-lining past the Fighter after the first OA.

At level 13 you can use a bonus action to grant your allies a +5 to initiative? How in the gently caress is this even supposed to be useful, unless you're rolling initiative every round?
If you only roll once per combat, and you're last on initiative, does it effectively do nothing? WTF?

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 19, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would assume it changes your Initiative roll and thus the order everyone goes.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I would assume it changes your Initiative roll and thus the order everyone goes.

I mean, we're talking about the rules for surprise rounds in 5e, so :can: but I was using the assumption that "your turn in the first round" (as per the text) would be after everyone has rolled initiative, and combat turns have started. Unless you can for some reason take bonus actions out of combat...? Can enemies even be surprised if combat/initiative hasn't started?

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
You can also shoot arrows at two separate targets. Everything about the Scout's kit screams archer to me, so I don't see the problem with something that effectively doubles their damage output in any combat with more than one target. The +5 initiative feature's value is entirely based on how well the rogue rolls on initiative, and since they don't have a feature to boost their chances to roll well, it's all up to luck. If the rogue does roll well, however, it can let the party benefit from the rocket tagginess of 5e and let them wipe out/lock down a good chunk of team baddie before they get to act.

Two Headed Calf posted:

As for outside core rules, it's mostly optional stuff for character building. The Elemental Evil pdf (free) gives a few additional races, plus a pile of additional spell options for the casters. The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide ($$) has a few more of each of these along with additional archetypes for some classes. Unearthed Arcana (free) gives players a ton of extra potential options, but it's playtest material which means the quality and balance is all over the place. None of these are must-haves.

On things to watch out for, gradenko_2000 covered most of the general stuff. I'm a bit more conservative with the extra HP at level 1 by giving out +5. If you play starting HP rules-as-written, however, the players will feel pressured to turn every encounter into fantasy-Vietnam. Two hits from just about anything a level 1 party will likely encounter can drop them which can easily snowball into a TPK, so they'll spend tons of time trying to set up ambushes to avoid the risk. As for encounter building, be sure to read the guidelines carefully, particularly the part about encounter multipliers. Four CR 1/4 creatures vs. a level 1 party doesn't make a normal-difficulty encounter, but rather one right at the deadly threshold.

Regarding balance problems that you may encounter, at early levels, the biggest issue is how moon druids turn into giant damage sponges who can still outdamage basically anyone else at almost no cost. At mid levels, things like summon and polymorph abuse can allow parties to breeze through encounters well past the deadly threshold. At high levels, a notable problem is that 2/3 of most players' saving throws bonuses don't scale at all, so they can be facing an 80-90% chance of failure against effects likely to either take them out of the fight or kill them. Finally, most posters here prefer standard array/point buy to rolling for starting stats for a number of very good reasons. If you are dead-set on rolling, however, give everyone a pocket 15 so that at least their primary stat is on-target with what the game expects.

Slippery42 fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 19, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slippery42 posted:

As for encounter building, be sure to read the guidelines carefully, particularly the part about encounter multipliers. Four CR 1/4 creatures vs. a level 1 party doesn't make a normal-difficulty encounter, but rather one right at the deadly threshold.

Reposting this two-parter analysis on by-the-book encounter creation:

Part 1
Part 2

Level 1 characters should only be facing CR 1/8 opponents for the most part, but even then, that still includes Giant Rats with 1d4+2 damage, Giant Weasels with 1d4+3 damage, and Kobolds with 1d4+2 damage + Pack Tactics.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

The RC has a skill system. I thought it was somewhere in the BECMI books too but I guess my memory's playing tricks on me. Or else I just can't spot it this morning.
Oh you mean the Gazetteer skill system. Yea, that thing was unwieldy. I don't like sharply delineated skills like that. One of the worst parts of 3.x.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Tir McDohl posted:

What are good monsters thematically to pair with a green hag?

At least in 3e (and probably before them) hags were conceptually tied to giants on some level: the goddess of hags was explicitly part of the giant pantheon. So, ogres, trolls, or merrows would probably fit thematically with a green hag.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just had a level 15 Warlock / Sorcerer / fighter do 191 damage in 1 turn.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mastershakeman posted:

heck, that's not far off from the weremonster from the recent x-files season

And re: gnomes, the 4e concept of them sounds great. I just can't get past how they even came to exist in the first place in d&d
Oh, I'd assume someone was reading a thing with gnomes in it and said "I want to play a gnome, can I be good at illusions because the gnomes used illusions".

The "just do whatever the gently caress" approach in the early days of D&D led to a lot of neat iconic monsters that probably wouldn't exist with a more formalised approach (gelatinous cubes, beholders), but an important part of an evolutionary design system is culling or reworking dead lines and the vocal parts of the playerbase are really, really opposed to that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

P.d0t posted:

I mean, we're talking about the rules for surprise rounds in 5e, so :can: but I was using the assumption that "your turn in the first round" (as per the text) would be after everyone has rolled initiative, and combat turns have started. Unless you can for some reason take bonus actions out of combat...? Can enemies even be surprised if combat/initiative hasn't started?
I think it's a +5 you can apply during combat. So if someone has initiative 10 then you can spend a bonus action to turn it into initiative 15. So the wizard who's about to be overrun by goblins can be bumped ahead of them on the initiative and run away. Or the healer can get to the downed guy before they downed guy's turn is wasted on a death saving throw. It's niche as gently caress but I can see the times it could come up being pretty useful.

Bonus actions would work a lot better if that was the design ethos behind them. Give everyone a boring but kind of useful thing to spend them on most rounds ("Spend a bonus action to add 1d6 to damage" or something), and then add in a bunch of niche but awesome when applicable alternatives (+5 to initiative etc).

Or if they had a design ethos at all tbh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Two Headed Calf posted:

Volo's is probably the best book to get outside of the core. Extra Monsters tend to be cool.

Arvia's profile text about the starter set is also a fairly solid starting point.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 19, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Two Headed Calf posted:

Low levels are as swingy and dangerous as they typically are for most D&D. Start at third level or give your players an extra starting HD.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It occurs to me that when my Fir Bolg goes into cities under Disguise Self to do shopping, he's gonna have to be all "actually do you have that armor in a sextuple-XL? ..... It's for a friend"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Two Headed Calf posted:

If you spend more than 5 minutes looking for a rule and can't find it there's a decent chance it doesn't exist. This applies to rules you'd really think would exist. Be prepared to have to fix and/or invent large parts of the system on the fly. This is advertised as a feature.

The CR system is garbage, if you use it as written then "level appropriate" fights will vary between cakewalks and guaranteed TPKs without warning.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Thanks for all the responses! It seems like CR is hosed and early levels are swingy (when hasn't either of these have been true) and that HP at 1st level is kinda janky. Can anyone clarify a bit more on the 1st level HP thing? Does it make it so combat is hopeless for the PCs at first level? I have no problem with killing PCs (particularity 1st level ones) and coming from a background of older D&D I'm more used to 'combat as the fail state' but I am not looking for a DCC style 0th level funnel.

Arivia posted:

Don't. It's bad. Whatever you liked playing before will be more fun and a better game.

Can you elaborate? Everyone I have talked to has rated it from 'Best D&D' to 'Good, with some flaws.'

Agent355 posted:

Late game class balance is bad and monster CR is only a rough suggestion especially at low levels. Beyond that you'll figure it out before it becomes an issue.

I don't like high level play so hopefully this will not be an issue. About what level does the class balance begin to break apart?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Remember that groups are expected to have a Short Rest roughly once every 2 combat encounters.

Remember to award Inspiration.

Consider converting hit dice healing into a 1 to 1 point based system.

Be generous with letting non casters pass skill checks automatically if it's within their narrative wheelhouse, even if the feat isn't strictly grounded in physical reality.

I like the idea of the Short Rest. I always used to use a rule (especially when the party didn't have a cleric), of "consume a ration, take an hours rest, heal d6 HP" and it sounds a lot like it.

I really like Inspiration, it was one of the things that I first picked up on when reading the rules.

Can you explain the hit dice healing thing to me? Is it more than just the short rest rule?

I handwave a lot of skill checks, if its in character you pass. (Not that I let the players know that!)

Slippery42 posted:

As for outside core rules, it's mostly optional stuff for character building. The Elemental Evil pdf (free) gives a few additional races, plus a pile of additional spell options for the casters. The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide ($$) has a few more of each of these along with additional archetypes for some classes. Unearthed Arcana (free) gives players a ton of extra potential options, but it's playtest material which means the quality and balance is all over the place. None of these are must-haves.

As for encounter building, be sure to read the guidelines carefully, particularly the part about encounter multipliers. Four CR 1/4 creatures vs. a level 1 party doesn't make a normal-difficulty encounter, but rather one right at the deadly threshold.

Regarding balance problems that you may encounter, at early levels, the biggest issue is how moon druids turn into giant damage sponges who can still outdamage basically anyone else at almost no cost. At mid levels, things like summon and polymorph abuse can allow parties to breeze through encounters well past the deadly threshold. At high levels, a notable problem is that 2/3 of most players' saving throws bonuses don't scale at all, so they can be facing an 80-90% chance of failure against effects likely to either take them out of the fight or kill them. Finally, most posters here prefer standard array/point buy to rolling for starting stats for a number of very good reasons. If you are dead-set on rolling, however, give everyone a pocket 15 so that at least their primary stat is on-target with what the game expects.

Unearthed Arcana is what I'm worried about (some of my players keep bringing up stuff from it). While some of it sounds great, a lot of it feels like early 3.pf bloat. It is also a bit too much for me to go through and ok. I haven't had a chance to go through the Sword Coast Adventure Guide yet (I have a bad feeling its that Sword Coast from the Quasi-Elemental Plane of May Sues, so I'm hoping its not totally bound to that setting.)

I have heard a bit about the Moon Druid from others and I think I am most likely going to nix it as it sounds like it has a bunch of problems.

I've always done '3d6 as they lay' for stats, and it sounds like that might not work with 5ed. What is the 'expected' states for 5ed?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Volo's is probably the best book to get outside of the core. Extra Monsters tend to be cool.

I had a chance to check out Volo's and man was that a great book! It was basically everything I wanted out of a book about monsters.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Just had a level 15 Warlock / Sorcerer / fighter do 191 damage in 1 turn.

Was this from EB spam? If so, I'm curious how this happened. Average damage on EB + hex is 13 damage per bolt. You'd get 3 by default (39 damage), 3 more with quickened spell (78), and 3 more with action surge (117). Even if every bolt hit and you rolled max damage, you'd be looking at 189 damage.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Saw those CR swings myself last night. I had some level 3s fight in separate combats a CR2 Carrion Crawler and a CR2 Gelatinous Cube. The first fight was an easy joke but the cube can do 6D6...

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Slippery42 posted:

Was this from EB spam? If so, I'm curious how this happened. Average damage on EB + hex is 13 damage per bolt. You'd get 3 by default (39 damage), 3 more with quickened spell (78), and 3 more with action surge (117). Even if every bolt hit and you rolled max damage, you'd be looking at 189 damage.

Your per-bolt calculations look like you're basing them on a Charisma of 18 (5.5 EB + 3.5 Hex + 4 Cha). Having a 20 or higher at level 15 isn't at all out of the question, so the max damage roll would be 198 in that case. It still requires every bolt to hit and near max damage rolls, but it's possible.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Two Headed Calf posted:

Can you elaborate? Everyone I have talked to has rated it from 'Best D&D' to 'Good, with some flaws.'
If you want to be able to read the 5e thread, there are a couple of people you will need to put on ignore.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FRINGE posted:

If you want to be able to read the 5e thread, there are a couple of people you will need to put on ignore.

Ha ha.

The thing is 5e doesn't have anything to set it apart from other editions besides being the current edition of D&D. It's a mess, but not in any new or inventive ways. Class balance is a mirage, encounter design is a mess, the actual math of the game doesn't work. These are all problems prior editions of D&D have struggled with.

5e has poo poo responses to all this, with "ask your DM" as disavowal for dealing with any actual problems, and its have it your way mess of options-but-not-really. Now, this isn't any different from prior editions which again brings up why play 5e instead of what you've played before and are familiar with, like, and know how to run.

Two Headed Calf has said he's a veteran DM. He's familiar with retroclones and his play style matches those. He likely already has a favorite. So why not play something he already likes and knows? (For example, if he likes combat as failure state play, 5e doesn't support gold as XP, the other half of that style.) If production values are important, the new printing of Swords & Wizardry is gorgeous.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Two Headed Calf posted:

Thanks for all the responses! It seems like CR is hosed and early levels are swingy (when hasn't either of these have been true) and that HP at 1st level is kinda janky. Can anyone clarify a bit more on the 1st level HP thing? Does it make it so combat is hopeless for the PCs at first level? I have no problem with killing PCs (particularity 1st level ones) and coming from a background of older D&D I'm more used to 'combat as the fail state' but I am not looking for a DCC style 0th level funnel.

CR isn't hosed by itself, but combined with most published creatures being heavily skewed to the offense-focused side of the spectrum, low level PCs having little in the way of survivability, and the detail about encounter multipliers being easily missed, it can be far more lethal than DMs intend and players want. Level 1 isn't hopeless, but definitely note that players have the stamina for only 1-3 fights before a long rest rather than the DMG-recommended 6.

As for how lethal you want your campaign to be, that's up to you. Speaking for myself, though, I'm not fond of the idea of writing a modestly elaborate backstory or spending an hour sketching my character or ordering a custom mini from heroforge only to be chumped by a nameless goblin's crit in the first round of combat.

Two Headed Calf posted:

I'm in the "good with some flaws" camp, but I'm also relatively new to D&D and missed 4e. Many of the criticisms of 5e I see here are that it walked back improvements 4e made (and even parts of 3.5) just for the sake of not being 4e.

Two Headed Calf posted:

I don't like high level play so hopefully this will not be an issue. About what level does the class balance begin to break apart?

It depends on what specific thing your players want to abuse. I played a session last night with my level 9 party. We were able to breeze through an encounter rated at double the "deadly" xp threshold because we had fire support from a dozen of our necromancer's skeletons, and my monk was polymorphed into a CR8 t-rex. Combined, the party spent maybe 2-3 long-rest spells. I'd say 5th level is the peak of balance, and it's reasonably solid between levels 3-11 outside of the corner cases. Early levels are boring and deadly. Late levels give spellcasters access to their campaign-editor spells while martials just continue hitting things little better than they could since level 5.

Two Headed Calf posted:

Can you explain the hit dice healing thing to me? Is it more than just the short rest rule?

They're a resource every character has that can be spent during short rests to heal. You spend one, roll it, and recover HP equal to the number rolled + con mod. You can roll anywhere between 1 and your total number of them during the short rest. The criticism here is that you can be screwed if you roll poorly, so it's difficult for a DM to plan around this when designing encounters. This is compounded by the fact that you only recover half of your maximum number of hit dice during a long rest.

Two Headed Calf posted:

Unearthed Arcana is what I'm worried about (some of my players keep bringing up stuff from it). While some of it sounds great, a lot of it feels like early 3.pf bloat. It is also a bit too much for me to go through and ok. I haven't had a chance to go through the Sword Coast Adventure Guide yet (I have a bad feeling its that Sword Coast from the Quasi-Elemental Plane of May Sues, so I'm hoping its not totally bound to that setting.)

I have heard a bit about the Moon Druid from others and I think I am most likely going to nix it as it sounds like it has a bunch of problems.

I've always done '3d6 as they lay' for stats, and it sounds like that might not work with 5ed. What is the 'expected' states for 5ed?

SCAG is only bound to the setting if the DM insists it is. We're playing a homebrew campaign, and our Rogue used the swashbuckler archetype from that book. There's some speculation that the pile o' UA stuff is a rough draft for what would go in a PHB2. Some of it is good (revised ranger, knight). Some of it is poorly-written (kensei). Some of it makes you wish they designed every class that way (warlock). Some of it is absurdly imbalanced (loremaster wizard).

Expected stats for 5e are the standard array of 15/14/13/12/10/8 (or 27 point-buy). The PHB's recommended rolling method is 4d6, drop lowest. We're not fond of rolling for stats, because a player can get stuck being a chump sidekick in a game that runs for over a year. If you do 3d6 as they lay with today's ttrpg sensibilities, expect a lot of players to say "my character jumps under a bus" as the first thing they do so they can reroll something that isn't crap. Or expect them to exploit the weaker points of the system and decide to play a moon druid where stats don't matter :v:

blastron posted:

Your per-bolt calculations look like you're basing them on a Charisma of 18 (5.5 EB + 3.5 Hex + 4 Cha). Having a 20 or higher at level 15 isn't at all out of the question, so the max damage roll would be 198 in that case. It still requires every bolt to hit and near max damage rolls, but it's possible.

Doh, you're right. I plugged 4.5 instead of 5.5 into my calculator as the average d10 roll. And yeah, possible, but highly improbable.

Slippery42 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 19, 2017

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
As a player (not a GM) gonna chime in and recommend tossing some extra HP at your players if they're starting at first level. Been playing through Storm King's Thunder and every combat encounter ends with at least two of us bleeding to death in the gutter. I mean, cool if you're into the grittiness, but it gets kind of annoying when the adventure pits you against twenty-two loving orcs and you can take maybe three hits at most.

edit: also the proficiency system is sort of annoying to get a handle on, especially if your players are new to RPGs (I'm not, but several of the other players find it annoying to remember what to add to a given roll).

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I enjoy your FR views, but posting several times a page how you hate 5e in the 5e thread isnt great.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FRINGE posted:

I enjoy your FR views, but posting several times a page how you hate 5e in the 5e thread isnt great.

Tough dude. You'll just have to deal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Tough dude. You'll just have to deal.

We know does not change that it is old at this point and annoying.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Didn't we just do this and get the thread locked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Two Headed Calf posted:

UA stuff for Martials is fine, and by fine I mean the base martials become garbage tier once you hit level 3 or 4 so anything to keep them limping along for a few more levels is fine. UA Ranger is mandatory if anyone wants to run a Ranger.

Two Headed Calf posted:

Quick and dirty version: It's a game made to cater to the part of the hobby who consider "design" and "balance" to be bad words to be actively avoided. It's been declared the do it yourself edition, so the game not functioning as written is considered a feature, and anyone who disagrees is a powergaming 4venger or just doesn't "get it". Speaking of which, "that's how 4E did it" is seen as a criticism in as of itself, including using the words "design" or "balance". The designers not having any familiarity with the previous edition was seen as a matter of pride (There's a hilarious post where... was it mearles or cooke? gushed about inventing this awesome new concept he called "Passive Perception"). Oh, and they also said that they would never errata the game (because 4E had errata) which, combined with the hilarious "playtesting", meant there was a lot of "rules clarifications" for a while as they desperately tried to torture their poorly written rule descriptions into completely different rules. They finally caved after about a year.

None of this describes actual rules problems with the game, the reason I'm bringing it up is that the consequences of this design process and followup support hit pretty much every aspect of the game. Naming individual issues to explain why the game is bad is like describing a forest by pointing out individual leaves. It's just... not very good.