Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Jerusalem posted:

Welp just finished the game again.... already thinking about playing it again :stare:

Please release Cyberpunk soon :pray:

:hfive:
You are not alone.
I'm just doing stuff on Skellige before going to fetch Uma. I started a whole fresh game and I'm already wondering if I should NG+ it when I finish.
Maybe Andromeda will save me when that's released in a month.
Otherwise maybe we need to start Witchers Anonymous and instigate a 5 step programme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ursine any color >>>>> everything else. Seriously, he looks like a clown in half the armors out there

I grabbed a mod that reverted the Witcher armours to their pre-dye-patch textures and they look so much better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Helith posted:

Otherwise maybe we need to start Witchers Anonymous and instigate a 5 step programme.

Step 1: If you are thinking about replaying Witcher 3 then y-
Sounds like a great idea, let's replay Witcher 3!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm probably about to replay but I always go with Cat Style and Feline Armour, someone persuade me to do otherwise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm probably about to replay but I always go with Cat Style and Feline Armour, someone persuade me to do otherwise.

This latest playthrough I deliberately avoided getting the Witcher gear just so I could try out some of the many other armors that come with the game. The Nilfgaardian Armor set you can get from the Quartermaster at Crow's Perch is pretty nice and you can get a low level version or save it for late game (which I did):

The Redanian, Witch Hunter and Undvik armors are pretty good too.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The Lone Badger posted:

An Alchemy build means you are drat near invincible and can wear whatever armour you like.
I switch based on location and what level I am.
Bear armour for Skellige is thematically appropriate. I'll build and wear Wolf when I get to Kaer Morhen. Maybe swish out in the Ofieri when hanging out with Olgierd and then maybe don some Manticore or even Viper when rolling around my vinyard.
Basically, forget armour bonuses. Build a Geralt that can wear whatever rocks your style mood that day.
Have fun, experiment and play Witcher dress up! (Don't forget the rear end ears and/or professor glasses!)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You could also install the appearance mod and just change your looks at whim, while wearing whatever suits your build.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lazyhound posted:

Can I get a spoiler-free y/n answer to this? During the Crookback Bog questline, is there any way to definitively establish the identity of the spirit below the tree before you choose whether or not to release it? So far my only clues are that it appeared three years ago, that some random NPC has been having dreams beckoning her to the tree, and a refugee east of Novigrad who speaks of a dead hero buried beneath it.

There's another thing to be aware of: the crones are lying to you. They tell you the evil in the tree awoke as a result of the war, but the ealdorman of downwarren says three years. They want you to get rid of a problem for them that's been around much longer.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

SirSamVimes posted:

The only book that talks about the spirit in any detail also paints the Crones in a positive light so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

What's wrong with the crones? They only demand a couple sacrifices once in a while and for that they provide protection and honest, american living.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They're ugly, and for that they must die.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Holy gently caress, I came across a side quest/contract with living statues... How did this get through QR without toning down those drat mages? That difficulty spike is unreal

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I might be a bad witcher. I didn't kill silver basilisk.

It was just about a coin toss decision.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
You'd lose out either way. It's really if you'd rather have the herbalists or... the coopers? mad at you

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Purchasing the expansions seems to have fixed my save. I kept Crashing to Desktop everytime I went to Skellige to gather allies for the important battle.

Thanks Crau A Craite, you just gave me a sword I don't need for help, yes!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lazyhound posted:

Can I get a spoiler-free y/n answer to this? During the Crookback Bog questline, is there any way to definitively establish the identity of the spirit below the tree before you choose whether or not to release it? So far my only clues are that it appeared three years ago, that some random NPC has been having dreams beckoning her to the tree, and a refugee east of Novigrad who speaks of a dead hero buried beneath it.

the tree is probably not a very good tree/spirit/man/thing but anything that pisses off the crones is an A+ move

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Holy gently caress, I came across a side quest/contract with living statues... How did this get through QR without toning down those drat mages? That difficulty spike is unreal
That was the first time I died in like ten hours of play, and the only encounter I died to multiple times in the DLC.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Spiderdrake posted:

That was the first time I died in like ten hours of play, and the only encounter I died to multiple times in the DLC.

I get people's complaints about other DLC fights but I just coasted through this one like all the others :confused:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

unless people mention what difficulty they're playing on and whether or not they turned on upscaling there's absolutely no metric for comparing how hard encounters were between anecdotes

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I am on the second Hardest (Blood and Broken Bones)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I played in launch, so no matter what difficulty, gravity prevailed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

You have to use grenades - Northern Winds or whatever. That was the first time I died in like 20 hours of playing the game. It was loving ridiculous. They pretty much instakilled me (well, like two hits) three or four times in a row. Grenades, Quen, and just Charge the mages first.

It was such bullshit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

Thanks Crau A Craite, you just gave me a sword I don't need for help, yes!

"It's magnificent.... thank you."
One fast travel later
"Hey Hattori, wanna buy this for a few florins? Oh you've made me a masterpiece of a sword too? Thanks.... how much to sell it back to you? I'll throw in this Witch Hunter armor the Crow's Perch armorer made too!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really like the GM Wolven set, it's fancy enough not to make me stand out with all the Posh folks in B&W, but also looks like armor. I wish i had the Enhanced Feline so I could make the GM feline. That worked really well with my sword build, as it was all dodges and quick sword strokes.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I just wish Geralt's face didn't clip so hard and so often through the wolven set collar.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish geralt actually zipped his damned shirt up when he wore the wolven armor and the temerian armor

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ugato posted:

I just wish Geralt's face didn't clip so hard and so often through the wolven set collar.

I have bitched about this before, but considering he got a pitchfork in the belly, you would think Geralt would be very, very, conscientious about protecting that part of his body. Let alone witchers in general when monsters would take swipes with their claws at exactly that part of them.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 20, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ugato posted:

Still not as bad as the Cat hood.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ugato posted:

i use the mustache and soul patch combo for that reason

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

"It's magnificent.... thank you."
One fast travel later
"Hey Hattori, wanna buy this for a few florins? Oh you've made me a masterpiece of a sword too? Thanks.... how much to sell it back to you? I'll throw in this Witch Hunter armor the Crow's Perch armorer made too!"

Games with cool legacy swords with unique models really need upgrade systems.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i use the mustache and soul patch combo for that reason

Tied back pony tail and mutton chops.

MikeJF posted:

Games with cool legacy swords with unique models really need upgrade systems.

Yea, it was mentioned a while back that its annoying to drop a cool looking sword for one of the very mundane witcher weapons becuase they have better stats. Like all that work into getting the sword from the lake and dropping it a quest later because the next silver sword I found had much better stats plus upgrade slots.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It felt kinda like you upgraded swords too often in general. I swear I'd constantly be looking in my bag and realizing I was carrying two or three upgrades, because loot really wasn't a huge priority.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, it was mentioned a while back that its annoying to drop a cool looking sword for one of the very mundane witcher weapons becuase they have better stats. Like all that work into getting the sword from the lake and dropping it a quest later because the next silver sword I found had much better stats plus upgrade slots.

You chose poorly.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

twistedmentat posted:

Tied back pony tail and mutton chops.

The sword from the lake is the strongest silver sword in the game with its ability and the fact that it upgrades itself as you level.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You chose poorly.

Yeah, this.

You can add slots to any sword without them if you have HoS, so there's no reason not to pimp out Aerondight since it's one of the best swords in the game. At the end I was still using it and the steel sword you get from the Ofieri guy in the Beauclair Gwent tournament.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

This latest playthrough I deliberately avoided getting the Witcher gear just so I could try out some of the many other armors that come with the game. The Nilfgaardian Armor set you can get from the Quartermaster at Crow's Perch is pretty nice and you can get a low level version or save it for late game (which I did):

The Redanian, Witch Hunter and Undvik armors are pretty good too.

1) The haircut the noble gives you.
2) The big red robe you get int he haunted mansion in the first DLC.
3) The glasses you can buy at auction.
4) Let beard grow out.

When on earth is an open world game going to realize how much we doofus children love playing dress up with our avatars and put a spell or crafting component in the game that does "Has the statistics of the armor you like, but the cosmetic aspects of a different armor you like?" I want to dress my Fallout people like sitcom characters and put Geralt in a hippie robe, but still get my defensive bonuses.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Diablo 3 does that iirc. You can wear whatever in this game if you turn the difficulty down

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Diablo 3 does that iirc. You can wear whatever in this game if you turn the difficulty down

I mean, I feel like in this game you don't need to turn the difficulty down, as long as you've played it for awhile and you have a build that can do some crowd control and you can accept that you're going to have some aggravating boss fights (and horse races, which seem harder on the higher settings, but I don't think the armor affects that), but either way, I don't want to turn the difficulty setting down. :mad:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Needs a tabard slot.

Bicyclops posted:

1) The haircut the noble gives you.
2) The big red robe you get int he haunted mansion in the first DLC.
3) The glasses you can buy at auction.
4) Let beard grow out.

If you wear glasses you can't wear rear end Ears though

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, this.

You can add slots to any sword without them if you have HoS, so there's no reason not to pimp out Aerondight since it's one of the best swords in the game. At the end I was still using it and the steel sword you get from the Ofieri guy in the Beauclair Gwent tournament.

Nah, for Steel it's Iris or bust.

I just wish Aerondight and Iris didn't clip each other. As the two ultimate swords it's extra annoying.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 20, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't get the rear end ears because not letting ghostman win at Gwent and boast merrily about it would make me too sad, which is why I should be able to make a helmet which looks like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You chose poorly.

Hoo boy yeah, Aerondight is straight-up the best sword in the game