Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gamergate literally started as a misogynist hate movement and has never been anything but.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean maybe "ethics in games journalism" tricked some people into thinking it was about the whole weirdness where the companies buying ad space are the same ones whose products are being reviewed but it started and ended at misogyny

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Apologies, I should have realized posting an article that mentioned gamergate would spark a big derail into pointless pedantry in a thread about political cartoons

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Shugojin posted:

I mean maybe "ethics in games journalism" tricked some people into thinking it was about the whole weirdness where the companies buying ad space are the same ones whose products are being reviewed but it started and ended at misogyny

There was also a contingent that isn't actually that misogynistic but doesn't like change, and was taken for a ride by shitheads who gave them an enemy. Most of those bailed pretty quick though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

albany academy posted:

Apologies, I should have realized posting an article that mentioned gamergate would spark a big derail into pointless pedantry in a thread about political cartoons

In many ways Gamergate was the prototype for the organized harassment used by the current Alt-Right Neo-Nazis.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Which was both the conclusion of that redpanels cartoon and that article, but with entirely opposite points of view on that conclusion, which was the only reason I posted the article in relationship to the cartoon.

The specifics to the origin of gamergate is besides the point.

And to be clear, gamergate is and always was stupid as gently caress.

wearing a lampshade fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 19, 2017

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Cartoonists get their own building? Ted Rall says they aren't getting hired, I don't know what to think anymore.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

TheBigAristotle posted:

Cartoonists get their own building? Ted Rall says they aren't getting hired, I don't know what to think anymore.

well they're definitely not going in the "Artists" building

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Holy poo poo, he really is pissy about people doing yoga with goats in the room. I thought it was an edit!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
loving kill anyone who does yoga with goats

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

"Hahaha dumb liberals with their goat yoga will never understand the plight of the rural working class." - a man who lazily draws cartoon ducks for a living.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

gently caress THE LIBERAL ARTS - man with a liberal arts degree who lazily draws a smug duck every day

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

albany academy posted:

Which was both the conclusion of that redpanels cartoon and that article, but with entirely opposite points of view on that conclusion, which was the only reason I posted the article in relationship to the cartoon.

The specifics to the origin of gamergate is besides the point.

And to be clear, gamergate is and always was stupid as gently caress.

I'm sure Quinn et al appreciate that you just know their lives being ruined was only incidental to the origins of the movement.

It was literally started by an angry ex bitching about how she dumped his abusive rear end by airing out whatever dirty laundry he could make up; the internet crowd just happened to see an angle they could work with (games journalism) and ran with it without a modicum of critical thinking, and here we are now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oh my god is the red hat part of the duck now

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Angepain posted:

well they're definitely not going in the "Artists" building

Not to mention "I.Q. Over 80"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Not to mention "I.Q. Over 80"

I thought about saying :argh: but IQ is a sliding scale there will always be people with IQ over 80 :argh: but realized that that's a pretty good educated person trap

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That just means that there will always be some smart people to gas though. It's a feature not a bug.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Gamergate started when a crazy person posted a huge Kyoon/DARE-style rant about his ex girlfriend (literally all of which was nonsensical lies) on every site he could (including SA) and gained only gained steam when misogynists from 4chan picked it up and ran with it. In many ways it was a precursor to the current plague of nerd neo-nazis.

Has the term "nerdzis" been coined yet or am I the first

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

I'm sure Quinn et al appreciate that you just know their lives being ruined was only incidental to the origins of the movement.

It was literally started by an angry ex bitching about how she dumped his abusive rear end by airing out whatever dirty laundry he could make up; the internet crowd just happened to see an angle they could work with (games journalism) and ran with it without a modicum of critical thinking, and here we are now.

It was in reference to posters arguing over the exact makeup of gamergate wrt which boards participated, whether or not some of them had good intentions, etc please don't misconstrue that as some kind of callousness on my behalf.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

I thought "Rural White People" was code for "republicans"... but Goat Yoga is something liberals would do... I'm confused.

I'm glad Tinsley can't even fit the duck head into the frame anymore. Maybe eventually the comic will be the black circles that make up Mallard's eyes with a speech balloon off to the side.

Edit: Please lets not talk about gamergate. It never ends well.

KillerJunglist fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 19, 2017

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

KillerJunglist posted:

I thought "Rural White People" was code for "republicans"... but Goat Yoga is something liberals would do... I'm confused.

Nah, Drunky Duck just forgot what 'rural' meant and thought it meant 'urban/suburban'.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Shugojin posted:

I thought about saying :argh: but IQ is a sliding scale there will always be people with IQ over 80 :argh: but realized that that's a pretty good educated person trap

I'm confused why "intellectuals" get a separate barrack from "people with IQ over 80."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

albany academy posted:

One word

Weathervanes.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

One word

Weathervanes.

:frogout:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The amount of mental hoops Garrison must has to jump through to think Trump is a clever, plucky muscle bound adonis standing up for the little guy must be exhausting.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Saint Sputnik posted:

Has the term "nerdzis" been coined yet or am I the first

First I've heard of it, but I very much like it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

OldMemes posted:

The amount of mental hoops Garrison must has to jump through to think Trump is a clever, plucky muscle bound adonis standing up for the little guy must be exhausting.

Like everything else in this trainwreck of a presidency, I think there's zero actual thought going on to justify it. I think he just hopes it'll piss off The Liberals. Which is kind of funny because it just makes us try to, and fail to, worry about the flabby old bastard.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Tatum Girlparts posted:

oh my god is the red hat part of the duck now

Whatever do you mean?? It doesn't sayyyyyyy MAGA on it~! No, you're being a sore winner!!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

albany academy posted:

It was in reference to posters arguing over the exact makeup of gamergate wrt which boards participated, whether or not some of them had good intentions, etc please don't misconstrue that as some kind of callousness on my behalf.

Fair enough, and my apologies for jumping on you.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

KillerJunglist posted:

I think he's using goat yoga as an example of something democrats think rural white people routinely do on the farm.

4 :ussr:

Bannon looks like a Gorillaz character.

7 :sweden:

Fuckin' A!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Umm, is this supposed to be a bad thing because this would be rad as hell. On the other hand, Payne is a massive piece of poo poo :confused:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

The hell is this? Shut up, Payne.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

beyonce is part of the 1 percent it wouldn't be good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sandpuppy posted:

Fuckin' A!

Payne is implying that Trump will send US troops to invade Mexico.

Johntalouette
Oct 30, 2013

I know plenty of rural white people who own goats; and their kids play with the baby ones because why wouldn't you? Goats aren't some wild luxury.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

"BoubwF CHECAKED: All oF THiNG, ABBOILUTELY NOTHING."

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
It's just smug drunk grandpa :tinsley:ing his way to an early rage grave.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Payne believes there's going to be a land war with Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I think it's possible he was just trying to make a silly, funny cartoon, and so chose not to use serious Actual Wars.

To be fair, it's been a very slow news-week, must be pretty hard for political cartoonists to find material. Basically nothing's happened and everything's gone smoothly.

• Locked thread