Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

It's an excellent general resource, but it's difficult to translate its lessons to most media that casual people use- I sometimes try it on the forums here, or on facebook, to mixed results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

BattleMoose posted:

Only seen it now, wish I had known about it sooner. Seems to make sense to me.

It's in the OP.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
I might not have ever read the OP....

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
In loving wonderful news, Antarctic sea ice extent has now reached a new record low. Even better - there are still potentially weeks left of melt season.
Antarctic sea ice area is still not quite the lowest ever recorded, but it is rapidly approaching the top. Four days of loss like yesterday will put it in second place, though 1993 has a more distant minimum. It would take another 13 days of similar loss after those 4 days to reach first place in minimum sea ice area, which might not happen.

The reason for the discrepancy between the two measurements is because patches that remain are more compact, but also more contiguous. Extent calculates based on sections that are 15% or more covered (3 sections at 75%, 50%, and 25% = 3 sections), while area takes the percent covered of a section into consideration in its calculation (3 sections at 85%, 50%, and 25% = 1.5 sections).

Arctic sea ice area continues to remain lowest, while extent has been flirting with dropping to second lowest. It's crossed over and back a bit, and it's likely to drop to second-lowest again as temperatures decline in some areas of the Arctic per forecast.

Don't worry, things are just great:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is there an under/over on when Larsen C is going?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
two months

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Evil_Greven posted:

In loving wonderful news, Antarctic sea ice extent has now reached a new record low. Even better - there are still potentially weeks left of melt season.
Antarctic sea ice area is still not quite the lowest ever recorded, but it is rapidly approaching the top. Four days of loss like yesterday will put it in second place, though 1993 has a more distant minimum. It would take another 13 days of similar loss after those 4 days to reach first place in minimum sea ice area, which might not happen.

The reason for the discrepancy between the two measurements is because patches that remain are more compact, but also more contiguous. Extent calculates based on sections that are 15% or more covered (3 sections at 75%, 50%, and 25% = 3 sections), while area takes the percent covered of a section into consideration in its calculation (3 sections at 85%, 50%, and 25% = 1.5 sections).

Arctic sea ice area continues to remain lowest, while extent has been flirting with dropping to second lowest. It's crossed over and back a bit, and it's likely to drop to second-lowest again as temperatures decline in some areas of the Arctic per forecast.

Don't worry, things are just great:

You're gonna need a bigger Y Axis.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
We're probably going to see Arctic ice extent go up a bunch over the next week as it's finally getting some historically normal cold weather. Unfortunately (of course, because there can't be any unalloyed good news anymore,) winds are looking to push a lot of the thickest ice out the Fram and Bering areas, and there isn't enough time left in the freezing season for new ice growth to mean much (it's going to melt quickly.) It seems to me as if there are two unknowns: one, the actual state of the ice (a satellite can say it's 2m thick, but there is a big difference between 2m of solid ice and 2m of loose crunched together weak ice, especially when it comes to melting), and two, whether the summer is cloudy and cool or if there is a lot of sun. It's a bit up in the air, as it were. Worth keeping in mind that the Arctic going ice-free in and of itself isn't catastrophic (unless there are crazy ocean current changes as a result,) but it would mean that only Greenland would be left to soak up all that heat, increasing that melt and therefore sea level rise.

It's very interesting to keep an eye on because it's such a complex system in the midst of unprecedentedly rapid change.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mozi posted:

We're probably going to see Arctic ice extent go up a bunch over the next week as it's finally getting some historically normal cold weather. Unfortunately (of course, because there can't be any unalloyed good news anymore,) winds are looking to push a lot of the thickest ice out the Fram and Bering areas, and there isn't enough time left in the freezing season for new ice growth to mean much (it's going to melt quickly.) It seems to me as if there are two unknowns: one, the actual state of the ice (a satellite can say it's 2m thick, but there is a big difference between 2m of solid ice and 2m of loose crunched together weak ice, especially when it comes to melting), and two, whether the summer is cloudy and cool or if there is a lot of sun. It's a bit up in the air, as it were. Worth keeping in mind that the Arctic going ice-free in and of itself isn't catastrophic (unless there are crazy ocean current changes as a result,) but it would mean that only Greenland would be left to soak up all that heat, increasing that melt and therefore sea level rise.

It's very interesting to keep an eye on because it's such a complex system in the midst of unprecedentedly rapid change.
Won't a lack of ice also increase the amount of heat absorbed in the Arctic? Ice reflects about 2.5 times as much radiation as ocean water IIRC.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
And as that water warms, aside from catastrophic impact to the associated marine ecosystems, it'll warm those delicious delicious methane deposits.

Pop.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
also, water expands once when it gets heated to 4C.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Won't a lack of ice also increase the amount of heat absorbed in the Arctic? Ice reflects about 2.5 times as much radiation as ocean water IIRC.

Yes, absolutely. My point was the first effect that would really, undeniably impact people outside of the region is the sea level rise brought on by increased Greenland melt. Could be wrong though!

Mozi fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 16, 2017

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
Hey, I'm betting a denier guy on how bad things are gonna be in the future.

15cm of sea level rise and 0.8degrees celsius from 2015 to 2027 seem reasonable?

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
Eh never mind, he only wants to bet on something super crazy happening like 4 degrees in 15 years because anything else could just be statistical noise and not caused by humans. There's no winning over this guy.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Sea level rose by 6 cm in the 19th century and 19 cm in the 20th so that would be quite the acceleration.

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
Heh yeah, I would probably still lose the bet, was really straining to find something he would take

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

unnoticed posted:

Heh yeah, I would probably still lose the bet, was really straining to find something he would take

Larcen C, or an ice free arctic summer?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
you're being trolled sorry

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
I know the guy, he's totally serious. Unironically believes Scott Pruitt is finally going to get politics out of science.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
It's 70 degrees in Detroit today, vs the 2000-2012 average high of 36. :stare:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

unnoticed posted:

I know the guy, he's totally serious. Unironically believes Scott Pruitt is finally going to get politics out of science.
Does he believe that the endangered species are not actually endangered and that liberals are protecting them just to stop coal projects or something?

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
Not sure about endangered species but he does say he's anti-pollution in general. Supports disclosing fracking chemicals for example.
Yet he thinks human caused climate change is a hoax for a bunch of reasons.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Mozi posted:

Yes, absolutely. My point was the first effect that would really, undeniably impact people outside of the region is the sea level rise brought on by increased Greenland melt. Could be wrong though!

A seasonally ice free Arctic is just so full of unknowns. Jet stream, polar vortex, Atlantic circulation patterns, the effect on Greenland. How fast does the Arctic transition from a seasonally ice free Arctic to a permanently ice free ocean? From arid to marine climate? It's a lot of I don't know, and most of those unknowns likely fall in a range between bad and real loving bad.

But, yeah melting is almost certain to increase in Greeenland. It's already accelerating at an exponential pace. I think the jet stream disruption is going to be the quickest felt change.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

unnoticed posted:

Not sure about endangered species but he does say he's anti-pollution in general. Supports disclosing fracking chemicals for example.

I have a suspicion that there may be a single root cause reason behind that bunch of reasons.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Chem trails, mind controlling chemicals and conspiracy theories. Yep, mental illness.

Anyways, yeah, the jet stream and most processes that determine climate are a result of differentials and gradients; be them temperature, salinity and pressure. Melting of the polar ice caps will greatly decrease relative differences which will greatly undermine the strength of global processes which will largely result in greater temperature extremes. This will particularly cause desertification of middle of the continents. So expect dust bowls in the midwest of North America, central Asia, central Africa, etc. Ocean systems will carry moisture in to the continent, hit a mountain range and basically peter out.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Your acquaintance is insane. Document his or her stances in an email to yourself and read that before considering talking about anything more complex than arithmetic or football with him/her in the future.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

cowofwar posted:

Chem trails, mind controlling chemicals and conspiracy theories. Yep, mental illness.

Anyways, yeah, the jet stream and most processes that determine climate are a result of differentials and gradients; be them temperature, salinity and pressure. Melting of the polar ice caps will greatly decrease relative differences which will greatly undermine the strength of global processes which will largely result in greater temperature extremes. This will particularly cause desertification of middle of the continents. So expect dust bowls in the midwest of North America, central Asia, central Africa, etc. Ocean systems will carry moisture in to the continent, hit a mountain range and basically peter out.
spend more time looking at oscilloscopes, because that's basically what trying to predict the weather's going to be like in a couple more years

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

unnoticed posted:

What in the world motivates you to argue with a madman?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TildeATH posted:

What in the world motivates you to argue with a madman?
perhaps you forgot to finish the rest of your sentence but

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

coyo7e posted:

perhaps you forgot to finish the rest of your sentence but

Don't ever speak to anyone who thinks anthropogenic climate change is a hoax. If someone says that, ask them to confirm, and then never speak to them again. It's like talking to the crazy guy on the subway train, it will never lead to anything but your own death.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Air conditioner is broke so what

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Brother Friendship posted:

Air conditioner is broke so what
So you need to figure out what rate of ACH/cfm is in your home and then account for that when you replace your AC. Or let someone like me fix the unit - but you're lolling at how ridic it is to have a technician troubleshoot the basic ways that your in-window AC busted, so just give me the thing for free okay? Obviously, you were robbed and it would be a boon for me to take your trash out of your hands :laugh:

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
Haha yeah I keep getting sucked into Facebook arguments with this guy and they never go anywhere. Will try to avoid in the future.
The more I engage, the more Facebook thinks I want to see what he's sharing from Patriot Nation or some random denier blog or whatever and then there are more terrible opinions on my newsfeed that I get sucked into responding to.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

unnoticed posted:

Haha yeah I keep getting sucked into Facebook arguments with this guy and they never go anywhere. Will try to avoid in the future.
The more I engage, the more Facebook thinks I want to see what he's sharing from Patriot Nation or some random denier blog or whatever and then there are more terrible opinions on my newsfeed that I get sucked into responding to.

https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/833109003160924160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NASA satellite spots mile-long iceberg breaking off of Antarctic glacier

quote:

A massive, 1-mile-long chunk of ice has broken off Antarctica’s fast-changing Pine Island Glacier, and NASA satellites captured the dramatic event as the icy surface cracked and ripped apart.

The Pine Island Glacier is one of the largest glaciers within the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, accounting for about 20 percent of the ice sheet’s total ice flow to the ocean, according to NASA scientists. The immense glacier is also one of the least stable, and in recent years, the ice sheet has been quickly retreating and losing massive amounts of ice.

Climate change and the warming ocean have been linked to the the retreat and melt of the world’s ice. According to Howat, such “rapid fire” calving is generally unusual for the glacier, but West Antarctic glaciers are eroding due to the flow of warm ocean water beneath them. A recent study found that the warming ocean was melting an ice crevasse of the Pine Island Glacier at the bedrock level, melting the glacier from its center.

These warmer ocean waters are causing the Antarctic ice shelf to break from the inside out. As such, scientists expect further calving along the glacier and have warned that the West Antarctic Ice Sheet could collapse within the next 100 years.

Don't worry, this isn't Larcen C. This is a totally different giant iceberg calving event!

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

Hello, climate change thread, what's your take on this? Should I be a bit more hopeful or stay desperate?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Smoke_Max posted:

Hello, climate change thread, what's your take on this? Should I be a bit more hopeful or stay desperate?

We know that CCS exists but the problem is that it doesn't make money. So you need political will to mandate it be used, and lol good luck with that in the USA.

Also mass manufacturing has made carbon-neutral energy sources price competitive with carbon power + CCS so many utilities would choose to just build that instead.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

So it's springtime in Chicago, only about 12+ weeks early. I'm wondering if there's a sciency meteorological resource out there that discusses what's behind this phenomenon and other extreme events that are becoming more common. Not so much the long term science, but the short term, 'this is what's happening right now' stuff.

I came across the almanac listing for 2/18 and yesterday was hottest on record (70°F), with the coldest record set in 2015 (-8°F).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3VTgIPoGU

One of the largest ever glacier calving incidents recorded on film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That chunk off of pine island glacier is land ice correct? It wasn't already floating on the water?