Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M Woof
Dec 15, 2013

CaptainPsyko posted:

A well geared Orlandeau OSB will 1) one shot Lich and Kraken and 2) cover the holy and lightning medal conditions, and 3) allow for near instant casting of Full Charge by somebody with combat 5 against the second and 4th bosses.

What other SB's/BSB's do you have available? Particularly physical ones? Running both Selphie and Yuna is probably going to hold you back if you try the full offense of a TG Cid start, but Iran probably worth dropping one and doing it if you have anyone else you can bring in.

Thanks! Could use him as RW instead of wall, though may take too much damage?
I've got a level 80 Squall's BSB, then not much really. The SSBs I have for level 80 characters are:
Cloud Organics
Aerith Wizard Staff
Red XII Magic Comb
Vincent Shotgun
Exdeath Force Sabre
Garnet Wizard Rod

All the other BSBs/SSBs I have, people are like level 65 and lower, so guessing they're not going to be any use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

a very well-geared Orlandeu RW can one-shot Kraken and Tiamat instead, letting you go nuts with abusing fire and holy on the Lich.

a +30% weapon RM might be required for a literal one-shot on Tiamat though. but a 20% + an attack or two should still do the trick.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

OK, everything but multiplayer Lich is down. I really shouldn't have left it that long

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Finally did the latest Lucky Draw and got a low key amazing draw with my third Twin Lance, Balthier's Imperil Fire gun and Edea's Imperil Dark armor. I've got Shadow's BSB so that's a good start to a dark element team and the Twin Lances are going to stay uncombined for now since my only other VIII synergy are guns and a generic fist. I've also got Steiner's BSB to pair with the Imperil Fire but I've got a question about its mechanics - I assume that applying the Imperil to a fire neutral enemy would trigger the extra hit on Steiner's BSB but I'm not 100% certain.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I finally got Orlandeau to 99 - I have his BSB but not his OSB, and I'm assuming I should just always run him with the Thunder God RM?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

1st AD posted:

I finally got Orlandeau to 99 - I have his BSB but not his OSB, and I'm assuming I should just always run him with the Thunder God RM?

Alternatively if you have a fairly well-honed powerchain, that works pretty well, too. Then you can instead give him a +sword damage RM for example.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

flowinprose posted:

Alternatively if you have a fairly well-honed powerchain, that works pretty well, too. Then you can instead give him a +sword damage RM for example.

This is generally a better choice. The problem with TGMode RM + BSB is that by the time you're switching to the BSB, you've already wasted a good chunk of TG Modes timer, and are stuck with long casts for the burst.

Oxybeles
Feb 1, 2013
I now have 4 Fujin SSB and 2 Fujin daggers. What a couple of strange pulls.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

This is generally a better choice. The problem with TGMode RM + BSB is that by the time you're switching to the BSB, you've already wasted a good chunk of TG Modes timer, and are stuck with long casts for the burst.

It's drat good for getting mitigation up early in a fight, though, like if you're RWing a wall. That applies to anyone on the team, though.

Really hoping his OSB shows up in the anniversary event. Can't see it not showing up, but still. That's my chase relic right now.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

HPanda posted:

It's drat good for getting mitigation up early in a fight, though, like if you're RWing a wall. That applies to anyone on the team, though.

Really hoping his OSB shows up in the anniversary event. Can't see it not showing up, but still. That's my chase relic right now.

Sure. TG mode and the TG mode materia are good for lots of things. Stapling to a BSB only Orlandeau is a pretty low end use of it is my point.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Sure. TG mode and the TG mode materia are good for lots of things. Stapling to a BSB only Orlandeau is a pretty low end use of it is my point.

What are some ways you can use the TG mode materia on other characters?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ETB posted:

What are some ways you can use the TG mode materia on other characters?

On a healer - Especially one with wrath - to precharge Bursts/medica options; this is especially good for a wall/Asylum Y'shtola.
On a DPS with a good BSB, to use Full Charge for 4 straight rounds before moving on to burst commands.
To summon a roaming warrior on round 1.
To launch a few key buffs and debuffs in as little time as possible.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
4/11 on the second banner. Red Scorpion and three Crescent Wishes! Finally something for Quistis but Red Scorpion is pretty outdated nowadays.

Also finally a medica for FFVIII, and I've upgraded it to 5*+++ ha ha ha

Armitage fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 20, 2017

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
Dreamstage on the dollar draw. Ff8 has been surprisingly good to me! Now to hibernate until the festivities next month.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dollar Pull got me Crescent Wishes. :toot:

It's a FFVIII Medica, something I was lacking before.

With getting this, Riona's BSB, Squall's Jacket, and all of Seifer's stuff this event, bring it on CM Ifrit. :getin:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

:toot:
No dupes, Selphie is my favorite VIII character, my first VIII medica, the burst is good too. Probably won't use the crown too much and I'd like a weapon Quistus could use natively but I'm pretty happy regardless

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

loving hell, this banner looks hella solid. I just don't have 50 Mythril to pull, nor do I feel like chucking a dollar at it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I dollar pulled a Quistis OSB.

:gettin:

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
Alright, I new MP dungeon! Going to get some more 4* motes and upgrade my squad and... oh. Dexterity motes. Again. Sweet.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Dexterity and Wisdom motes are in chronically low supply for me so I always welcome them.

Also did I just get a good team or was this apoc fight really easy? Like, the easiest one so far by a large margin.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I haven't done the fight yet, but based on the description, is it just a standard tank (debuff?) and spank sort of fight? If there aren't any gimmicks, pubbies tend to handle that sort of fight fine. It's when the fight gets issues like "hold off on buffs until phase change" or "don't attack until mitigation is up" that poo poo goes sideways.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Dexterity and Wisdom motes are in chronically low supply for me so I always welcome them.

Also did I just get a good team or was this apoc fight really easy? Like, the easiest one so far by a large margin.

Haven't tried the Apocalypse one yet, but the 160 version actually missed half the team with Ultimate Megaflare on my second attempt. Had to make two attempts because the game crashed out to my phone's home screen for no discernible reason when he was close to dead on my first attempt. :argh:

I've been having that happen a lot recently, actually, with this game and Fire Emblem: Heroes. Hasn't happened yet with Kingdom Hearts: Unchained X yet, at least not that I can recall. But it's really starting to annoy me.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Got Quistis' SSB and OSB on my one allotted banner 2 pull :toot:

And Irvine's pentabreak

Enelement that can wrath into 99999 OSB is a thing I've wanted since Terra :hellyeah:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Vaan's BSB is incredible for Bahamut. Singlehandedly fulfilling the target scores and helping gimp it's damage. Since literally every attack is Def/Res piercing having a stacking debuff is great.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Dr Pepper posted:

Vaan's BSB is incredible

Yeah it's real nice. I'm always using that alongside Agrias' Cleansing Strike and nothing single-target has any hope against me.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Beasteh posted:

Got Quistis' SSB and OSB on my one allotted banner 2 pull :toot:

And Irvine's pentabreak

Enelement that can wrath into 99999 OSB is a thing I've wanted since Terra :hellyeah:

I can en-element into all 3 of my OSBs :smug:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What's the dps output look like on Terra + Wrath spam + enFire SSB + OSB?

Seems like a heck of a lot of setup before you can get rolling with dumping OSBs at full power.

Worthwhile for Torments maybe?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

victrix posted:

What's the dps output look like on Terra + Wrath spam + enFire SSB + OSB?

Seems like a heck of a lot of setup before you can get rolling with dumping OSBs at full power.

Worthwhile for Torments maybe?

Worthwhile for anything where you're much more concerned about 50-0 then you are about 100-50. Also for nightmares where the rest of your party can easily take care of phase 1 without Terra/Quistis. It's great for those.

It takes about 4 rounds to set up a chain of SSB->OSB without incoming damage. So if he fights gonna last 6+ rounds (which is reasonable), it's real good.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, I had Faris and Mustadio with their various breaks and he couldn't even manage 1k per hit, except megaflare, which did around 4000. We were at full health so we just took the hit and kept going. He's not very fast either. I read the part about Tornado and had Instant KO accessories but he only did it once so lightning's the better bet.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Worthwhile for anything where you're much more concerned about 50-0 then you are about 100-50. Also for nightmares where the rest of your party can easily take care of phase 1 without Terra/Quistis. It's great for those.

It takes about 4 rounds to set up a chain of SSB->OSB without incoming damage. So if he fights gonna last 6+ rounds (which is reasonable), it's real good.

Oh poo poo I didn't even think about Nightmares, and I've only completed one of those.

Yeah those fuckers are getting cooked wherever possible :getin: I'll give that a try when they open up and report back, curious how strong it is.

Unrelated, that Mithril planner spreadsheet is Real Good (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YRvKQZr6SpknY_7r80LgFSwurX_96n-x4S2jhycqd8Q/). Very nice to peer into the future and map out exactly where to spend resources.

Only bummer is after second anniversary it looks like it'll be my best chance to go for Orlandeau's OSB+BSB just a few weeks later. I think I can just barely do 3 full draws if I save all of the last elite dungeon mith until then.

Cid and Firion are the only two characters I give a poo poo about having their breaks just because they're cool, and TG is a wee bit better, so sorry Firion, you only get one draw before the anniversary :unsmith:

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Huh. Dreamstage on 100 gem pull.

I have something of a dillema, right now. My main healer is Arc, and I have both of his SSBs : the Instant Medica/Phys Blink, and Major Regen/Magic Blink.

I also own Selphie's BSB, so I'm pondering to replace Arc with Selphie. But... Instant Medicas are so drat useful.

Thoughts?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Bahamut is a scrub. He is completely free to reverse wall and a party heal. Vanille's BSB or any magic blink SB will work. Just pile on the debuffs and go in as hard as you can.

The description made him sound like Barthandelus 2.0 but he was really easy.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cosmic Afro posted:

I have something of a dillema, right now. My main healer is Arc, and I have both of his SSBs : the Instant Medica/Phys Blink, and Major Regen/Magic Blink.

I also own Selphie's BSB, so I'm pondering to replace Arc with Selphie. But... Instant Medicas are so drat useful.

Thoughts?

Get out of the One Team To Rule Them All mentality, and use both when the situation calls for it. Arc is better at responding to burst damage and has a phys blink that Selphie lacks. Selphie has better longevity, boosts your offense on a Mage team. Different boss fights will be better suited to different characters.

Outside of the very newest of the new players, resource scarcity preventing characters from being useful just isn't really a problem in this game. All it takes is a few runs of sundaily, a couple of omelettes, and an MC I/MCII lode, both of which are abundant at this point.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 20, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cosmic Afro posted:

Thoughts?
use both of them. Selphie BSB isn't a medica, it's damage and a mind/magic buff, so just use her as an attack white mage. Especially useful in mage meta since it will stack with a bunch of other faithgas. I would use Arc as my main healer but he has summons too if that's your jam

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I did apoc Bahamut with pubbies pretty easily (despite one disconnect early on :argh:).

If your team packs full breakdowns he hits like a kitten, but even if not, apparently if you have magic blink and his ultimate thundaga misses, it doesn't actually count towards charging ultimate megaflare so... he just keeps casting it and then dies horribly.

Also I'd say bring resist lightning accessories, not instant ko, since he seemed to use thunder a lot more than tornado, but either works.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ALL ABOOOOOOARD :toot: :toot:

(I guess the rest of it is good too)

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
I'm glad a bunch of you are getting strong pulls in on Banner 2. Already having Party Dress, Red Scorpion, and Crescent Wish, this one is a big ol' nope for me. Also surprised so many aren't sticking to Sundaily and doing Ultimates/MP tomorrow.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Yeah, Bahamut's kind of a pushover. Between a first round cast of Asylum and a whole mess of breakdowns, the 160 difficulty didn't do a single point of damage during the entire fight.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

Get out of the One Team To Rule Them All mentality, and use both when the situation calls for it. Arc is better at responding to burst damage and has a phys blink that Selphie lacks. Selphie has better longevity, boosts your offense on a Mage team. Different boss fights will be better suited to different characters.

Outside of the very newest of the new players, resource scarcity preventing characters from being useful just isn't really a problem in this game. All it takes is a few runs of sundaily, a couple of omelettes, and an MC I/MCII lode, both of which are abundant at this point.

Oh, making a character levelled is no problems, I got eggs out of the eyes, going for it. I've been just pondering what's been better for my teams right now. Arc's more useful, because of the Instant Medica, but Selphie might work out better for my Mage Team(which do have Papalymo in it), for more MAG stacking.

EDIT: Hm, looks like Papalymo's Leylines and Selphie's BSB don't stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cosmic Afro posted:

Oh, making a character levelled is no problems, I got eggs out of the eyes, going for it. I've been just pondering what's been better for my teams right now. Arc's more useful, because of the Instant Medica, but Selphie might work out better for my Mage Team(which do have Papalymo in it), for more MAG stacking.

EDIT: Hm, looks like Papalymo's Leylines and Selphie's BSB don't stack.

Uhhhhh, yes they do.

• Locked thread