Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Josh Lyman posted:

There aren't that many peaches in Atlanta, and Atlanta is all that matters. :colbert:

Counterpoint: Atlanta suuuuucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

is this even a thing anymore

It totally is, they just haven't updated the website since 2014 and won't be doing any choice double features during Oscar month.

But they're beginning again strong in March with Belladonna of Sadness followed by Fantastic Planet.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

It totally is, they just haven't updated the website since 2014 and won't be doing any choice double features during Oscar month.

But they're beginning again strong in March with Belladonna of Sadness followed by Fantastic Planet.

Doooope

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Josh Lyman posted:

There aren't that many peaches in Atlanta, and Atlanta is all that matters. :colbert:

The East coast doesn't matter at all, it's about the Best Coast.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
holy poo poo the second week of March TCM is playing hard ticket to hawaii

i fuckin love that movie

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do think it's bullshit that TCM doesn't do Underground in February or August. Nobody will care if you deviate from theme that late at night!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
seriously though the musical number is the weirdest part of night train to terror and i fuckin love it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Timby posted:

It's not New York or D.C. but the weather is a lot better.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

CPL593H posted:

That place rules, but all my friends are losers and they won't go there with me. Also did you play that weird Japanese game where you're placed in various domestic situations and you have to get mad and flip the table over? I consider it to be the centerpiece of that whole place. Apparently the name of the game in English is "Extreme Table Flipping".

Hell yeah I played that, flipping a table is wildly cathartic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Josh Lyman posted:

It's not New York or D.C. but the weather is a lot better.

Until it snows three inches and your city shuts down for a week.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Timby posted:

Until it snows three inches and your city shuts down for a week.
Hasn't happened on 3 years :smug:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

YOTD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SddzdN4HQE&t=1141s
The Coen brothers talk about their films with Noah Baumbach for about an hour.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Josh Lyman posted:

Hasn't happened on 3 years :smug:

Yeah, well, I was there the last time and it sucked. :colbert:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CPL593H posted:

That place rules, but all my friends are losers and they won't go there with me. Also did you play that weird Japanese game where you're placed in various domestic situations and you have to get mad and flip the table over? I consider it to be the centerpiece of that whole place. Apparently the name of the game in English is "Extreme Table Flipping".

that sounds extremely dope

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

What?? Atlanta owns.

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not that actual arcades would be using dummy cabs, so much that dummy cabs, MAME, and such provide options to hobbyists outside of owning the original hardware.

However, with pinball machines arcades and hobbyists are in competition for the same limited number of machines.

Yeah, I guess as long as you had a CRT in it, most people would not know the difference. You could run whatever you felt like on 20 dollar hardware.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

holy poo poo the second week of March TCM is playing hard ticket to hawaii

i fuckin love that movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAaPeMMJLgs

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

It's one of the better Gottlieb tables, too!

I have a certain fondness for it because I played the hell out of it in the old Microsoft Pinball Arcade game. Finally seeing it in the wild during a time when you couldn't find a loving pinball machine anywhere was a trip.

I still question how much I actually need that ramp shot, though, despite exhortations to the contrary.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
From what I can tell the main trouble with pinball machines is upkeep. Solve of them pretty much have Rube Goldberg machines in them and if anything goes off your know have to spend a poo poo ton to get it working again. Hell, you need a someone who knows what he's doing for even minor stuff. With arcade machines, unless the board had a suicide chip, you should mostly he good with most repairs being no big deal.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
also with cabinets the main wear and tear is on the stick and buttons, which you can pretty easily replace with aftermarket ones because nobody gives a poo poo if they're original. getting the springs wrong in a pinball machine can make some shots impossible as i'm sure you've seen with some botched repair jobs

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Atlanta's slow so far, but it still seems pretty good.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Spent some time thinking. This is the right cultural moment for a film about Japanese-American internment camps during WWII. Also perhaps a film about the murder of Vincent Chin, too.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm watching Panic Room and I swear to god I must have face blindness because I spent the first 15 minutes wondering why Nicole Kidman was as doing a Clarice Starling impression.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Timby posted:

Yeah, well, I was there the last time and it sucked. :colbert:
If you were holed up in a hotel with a decent bar, should've hooked up with a bunch of other trapped travelers. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm watching Panic Room and I swear to god I must have face blindness because I spent the first 15 minutes wondering why Nicole Kidman was as doing a Clarice Starling impression.
Too much masturbation?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Now's a great time to film a story about a young Mark Wahlberg blinding a Vietnamese man.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Josh Lyman posted:

Too much masturbation?

You only get face blindness if you jerk your face off too much.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, the whole "Peachtree" thing in Atlanta is from a derangement of "pitch tree" and it stuck.

Vegetable posted:

Spent some time thinking. This is the right cultural moment for a film about Japanese-American internment camps during WWII. Also perhaps a film about the murder of Vincent Chin, too.

There's a play that's just out by George Takei about his experiences as a child in a camp.

Timby posted:

:mad:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Now's a great time to film a story about a young Mark Wahlberg blinding a Vietnamese man.

The Friends of Tommy Saunders

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The man's screams inspire good vibrations

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Vegetable posted:

Also perhaps a film about the murder of Vincent Chin, too.

In college I saw a doc called Who Killed Vincent Chin? (1987), which isn't commercially available, but here's the PBS page: http://www.pbs.org/pov/whokilledvincentchin/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm having so much trouble making myself finish watching Hannibal season 3. Every character's so weird and off-kilter with shady and shiftable motivations that I don't care what happens to any of them. Show shoulda just stayed a procedural.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

glam rock hamhock posted:

From what I can tell the main trouble with pinball machines is upkeep. Solve of them pretty much have Rube Goldberg machines in them and if anything goes off your know have to spend a poo poo ton to get it working again. Hell, you need a someone who knows what he's doing for even minor stuff. With arcade machines, unless the board had a suicide chip, you should mostly he good with most repairs being no big deal.

Yeah I mean, this is the underside of your average pinball machine:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What a cobbled together piece of poo poo! Very cool.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Starring drunk Mark Wahlberg?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsAqrrW3ZJc

While we are at it, make a road trip movie starring goofball Benedict Cumberbatch and perpetually stoned Johnny Depp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg8hM46Wi90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nz0dLHMHOo

While I'm posting Graham Norton videos, Anna Kendrick make the cutest almost-puking noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZKd8WXVNjc

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I could see Lifetime doing it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

I could see Lifetime doing it

Speaking of, I want to see that Britney Spears Lifetime movie that just came out.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah I mean, this is the underside of your average pinball machine:

This can't possibly be the best way of going about things, can it?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Speaking of, I want to see that Britney Spears Lifetime movie that just came out.

The what now?

Criminal Minded posted:

This can't possibly be the best way of going about things, can it?

The most efficient? no. Wisest? Certainement pas. But the best? Just maybe.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

The what now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbt-koIGoWY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

glam rock hamhock posted:

Keep in mind that the function of a pinball machine is to contain a heavy metal ball as it slams into electronics* at high speeds.

It is going to break, it's just a matter of how soon.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 20, 2017

• Locked thread