Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

this is a peer to peer game in 2017

what in tarnation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

what in tarnation

Its a fighting game.

They put a poo poo ton of engineering and game design into making it so the game plays synchronized, and as long as nobody drops it works *really* well. The problem is with the UI and the matchmaking server, not the peer to peer architecture.

Where in tarnation did you study network programming? Everybody thinks they're an expert and almost nobody even fully understands what that means.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a fighting game.

They put a poo poo ton of engineering and game design into making it so the game plays synchronized, and as long as nobody drops it works *really* well. The problem is with the UI and the matchmaking server, not the peer to peer architecture.

Where in tarnation did you study network programming? Everybody thinks they're an expert and almost nobody even fully understands what that means.

Yeah I got to be honest, I'm lolling at everyone on the internet who whine about P2P architecture, and not really being able to formulate a thought about why that's bad.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Internet Kraken posted:

All the effects are super tacky but people love that dumb crap so I understand exactly why Ubi put them in. Tons of people dumped a bunch of money into steel on launch so they could get those silly effects.

The only one that actively makes me angry though is the cherry blossoms. I'm not even sure why.

The cherry blossoms are the best though. If you add it to Kensei's Witness Me emote the blossoms explode outwards from the exact center between his hands, like he's a Wizard casting Conjure Blossoms. :allears:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Garrand posted:

It feels like they're budget effects. Looking at the Viking ones it's this singular weak looking lightning bolt. It just doesn't have any feel of power behind it that one would hope for a "mythic" skin. They're attempting to go for "badass" and it looks more like "poser"

Yeah the fire is just two tiny spurts. Should be closer to this:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a fighting game.

Peer to peer is super frustrating and is by far the worst thing about this game, stop being Zaphod.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Yeah seriously, couldn't we just have PBEM instead

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Peer to peer is super frustrating and is by far the worst thing about this game, stop being Zaphod.

It really isn't. The netcode in this game is basically magic once you actually get into a match. The problems lie with the matchmaking and how it handles join/leave requests for matches in progress.

People have no idea what they're actually complaining about specifically so they just say P2P!!! as an easy shorthand for something they don't know much about.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sorry, I tend to side with professional engineers over gamers jumping to conclusions.

What exactly do you not like, and why exactly is peer2peer the culprit for it?

Captain Oblivious posted:

It really isn't. The netcode in this game is basically magic once you actually get into a match. The problems lie with the matchmaking and how it handles join/leave requests for matches in progress.

People have no idea what they're actually complaining about specifically so they just say P2P!!! as an easy shorthand for something they don't know much about.

Bingo.

And it sounds like fixes to the matchmaking server bugs are in the works right now and being tested, hopefully we'll get some improvements to that sooner than later. Software unfortunately does take significant time to make changes and test, but it really sounds like they've been working on the major issues since beta and just haven't had time to finish all the fixes yet.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

The netcode in this game is basically magic once you actually get into a match.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

what in tarnation

this game apparently attracts armchair IT majors for as far as the eye can see

Zaphod42 posted:

What exactly do you not like, and why exactly is peer2peer the culprit for it?

you won't get a response better than "well, you see, reddit and steam reviews said this game was PEER 2 PEER. host advantage? maybe you've heard of it?? so, heh, checkmate idiot :smugdog:"

panda clue fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 20, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

p2p once ate a baby I hear.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This image is the biggest criticism I've been able to lob at an online game since the PunkBuster lag spikes in APB.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

The p2p is actually kind of annoying when it comes to the host leaving the game. Ive had more than a few matches now where the host leaves and I experience a rollback the ends up loving me.

I should really just stop playing deathmatch because it blows but I want that contract steel.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

signalnoise posted:

This image is the biggest criticism I've been able to lob at an online game since the PunkBuster lag spikes in APB.

Yeah, that's basically my experience too. My team will actively flee from a brawl and ignore the help pings when i see 3 people heading to me, but the enemy team collapses on points perfectly.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah, that's basically my experience too. My team will actively flee from a brawl and ignore the help pings when i see 3 people heading to me, but the enemy team collapses on points perfectly.

No dude, I didn't get to see the match. I don't know what happened other than my team being poo poo, and me replacing a bot after the last death on round 3.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

signalnoise posted:

No dude, I didn't get to see the match. I don't know what happened other than my team being poo poo, and me replacing a bot after the last death on round 3.

Do you get backfill renown for that?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Do you get backfill renown for that?

I got xp on my character, but I have no idea about renown because it never loaded the field. It had the map loading screen up with the 8-man face off and then all of a sudden it was snowy during the faceoff, they never charged at each other, and I got a score screen. What in the hell

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

signalnoise posted:

I got xp on my character, but I have no idea about renown because it never loaded the field. It had the map loading screen up with the 8-man face off and then all of a sudden it was snowy during the faceoff, they never charged at each other, and I got a score screen. What in the hell

That happens in Overwatch a lot, and a bunch of other games. The matchmaking doesn't do a sanity check to see if you'll load in before the match ends, so it just throws you in there, and then there's weirdness when it gets the word to load your character, and the match is unloading at the same time. It's not a common occurrence though really, (in Overwatch, Idk about this week old game.)

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

So every class has their own unique animations for killing mooks, but I have now noticed that the 3 vanguard classes basically can clear a crowd mashing r2 faster than other classes can with even their zone attacks(and at a higher rate since much less stam usage natch). I guess that makes sense since they get renown for killing minions according to the movelist.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I wish the Warlord could go through crowds of soldiers in a cooler way. His single light attack animation just repeats over and over. Looks pretty crap compared to the rest of the cast.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Gunder posted:

I wish the Warlord could go through crowds of soldiers in a cooler way. His single light attack animation just repeats over and over. Looks pretty crap compared to the rest of the cast.

That's the other thing I noticed actually, the 3 vanguard classes have super varied animations for killing mooks, where everyone else seemingly just has 1 light attack one, one heavy attack one.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Valkyrie smashing pawns looks rad as hell though :black101:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

You dont need to know much about peer to peer technically to know that getting constant crashed games from player disconnects is lovely, dummies.

I get dogpiled on the ps4 thread for liking this game and dogpiled here for criticizing something. Love it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

A lot of zone attacks aren't even that good for minion waves unless there's a huge clump pushed up against your side, or you're playing like orochi who can only kill 1 at a time with his normals. Hell a lot of times it's better to mash lights than heavies because they are faster and creeps have just enough distance that you'll only hit 2 at a time

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Also realistic mode checkpoints are brutal. Combat is not hard but when they throw you into a horse chase without explaining the controls then send you back to the start of the level if you gently caress it up... No thanks. No platinum for me I guess.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sometimes you are the only Samurai in the game and you just gotta REPRESENT.

I don't think I've ever seen a sub-100 Dominion score prior to this.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?

You dont need to know much about peer to peer technically to know that getting constant crashed games from player disconnects is lovely, dummies.

I get dogpiled on the ps4 thread for liking this game and dogpiled here for criticizing something. Love it.

Literally noone said player DC doesn't suck, in fact the opposite. It's the single thing we all agree on.

Glad to see you're enjoying this game as well though especially since it's "constant".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I get dogpiled on the ps4 thread for liking this game

:eyepop:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Chomp8645 posted:

Sometimes you are the only Samurai in the game and you just gotta REPRESENT.

I don't think I've ever seen a sub-100 Dominion score prior to this.

Congrats on beating up FaceplantMike. Sounds like he was a real challenge.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Seriously, try to start a discussion about For Honor on the ps4 and you'll get shouted down. Weeaboos own that thread now... Which is weird because you'd think they'd like this game. (They would if it was a Japanese dev)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Avail posted:

Literally noone said player DC doesn't suck, in fact the opposite. It's the single thing we all agree on.

Glad to see you're enjoying this game as well though especially since it's "constant".

Literally my only complaint about p2p is disconnects causing crashes. It's significant. I don't think I'm losing games or at a disadvantage from it.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

No one cares about you criticizing the game if you know what you're talking about. You don't. Hope this helps!

Games crashing and p2p are entirely separate criticisms.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I understand why people are skeptical of the p2p aspect but when you're actually in the game it works really well. Out of the hundreds of matches I've only had a few instances where there was a major disconnect between what happened on my screen and the other players. If they fix the issue with a bunch of disconnects causing the game to meltdown, it really won't have problems.

On the other hand I am coming from Dark Souls where the online is so bad pretty much anything that is mostly stable is a step up.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

On the other hand I am coming from Dark Souls where the online is so bad pretty much anything that is mostly stable is a step up.

Yeah, after dumping hundreds (thousands?) of hours collectively in pvp between all the Souls games, I'm astounded people complain about the networking in this game.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

panda clue posted:

Yeah, after dumping hundreds (thousands?) of hours collectively in pvp between all the Souls games, I'm astounded people complain about the networking in this game.
The Souls series is basically the bottom of the barrel in network quality so it's not exactly a good bar to judge other games by. I can think of few other games I've had so much trouble with. It's better in the later games but boy oh boy did it start of terrible.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

panda clue posted:

No one cares about you criticizing the game if you know what you're talking about. You don't. Hope this helps!

Games crashing and p2p are entirely separate criticisms.

OK then please explain why the game crashes when it's having trouble finding a new host when everyone's quitting and how dedicated servers wouldn't fix that.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get Rainbow Six Siege to work online, so I presumed that Ubisoft was going to have the same stupidity for For Honour. It mostly came down to my ISP being assholes.

It has been pretty good thus far but I might want to open a few more ports. The biggest problem has been rage quitters, which sometimes kills the game.

E: This only really applies to the large team modes. In brawl it holds up.

Hypha fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 20, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The old "quadruple revenge leads to nothing because your character inexplicably moonwalks when you try to get a hit in" move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IpoCGO6Buc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014

OK then please explain why the game crashes when it's having trouble finding a new host when everyone's quitting and how dedicated servers wouldn't fix that.

The game crashing in this situation has nothing to do with p2p and everything to do with bad/buggy code that hasn't been fixed yet that happens to be related to p2p. Flip this argument around: if there were dedicated servers and the servers went down, would you say "ugh loving servers, why isnt this game just p2p??". It's a dumb argument. The problem is bugs, not the networking protocol. The bugs will, presumably, be fixed, and then there will be no more issues.

I type this in between getting kicked out of matches 3 times in a row, so trust me, I feel your pain.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 20, 2017