Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
My first try at egg bites. 1 doz eggs, whisked with 1.5 c. cream cheese, smoked salt and pepper. Added some cooked bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Olothreutes posted:

Dice habaņero also does wonders for them if you enjoy spicy food, but be sure you aren't surprising someone with that.
Habanero, not habaņero.

And if you're making eggs in cocotte you can do anything from full custard to just cracking an egg directly into a little indentation made in a layer of other poo poo in the cooking vessel, depending on what kind of texture/consistency/mouthfeel you're going for with the egg. And however you're cooking them---traditional bain marie or modern puddle machine---you can cook at a different temperature or for a different length of time to get pretty much any amount of set in the whites and/or yolk.

Like I said before, not to suggest that everyone shouldn't be trying to make the Starbucks things or whatever the gently caress, but oeufs en cocotte is a pretty diverse genre so if you're not getting exactly what you want there's bound to be other recipes out there that will get you want you want.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Bogart posted:

Made a rump roast. 14 hours at 134, with a dry rub. Looks like my old-rear end Meh refurbished sealer isn't cutting the mustard anymore, let a bit of water leak in (but not out? idk. hypotronic solution, or something. science is hard!). The meat still looks fine. Is it safe to sear and serve?

Water infiltration isn't really a safety problem.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got me a dedicated deep fryer today, as mentioned off in the general thread. Question before I try it, anyone had success with finishing SV'd whatever (in my case, some crappy steak--chuck I think) in the deep fryer? I know it probably won't match good old cast iron even if it is successful but I'm tired of the smoke alarms.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ciaphas posted:

Got me a dedicated deep fryer today, as mentioned off in the general thread. Question before I try it, anyone had success with finishing SV'd whatever (in my case, some crappy steak--chuck I think) in the deep fryer? I know it probably won't match good old cast iron even if it is successful but I'm tired of the smoke alarms.

Probably doesn't generalize to all foods but Kenji at Serious Eats tested burger finishing methods:

quote:

Deep frying is fun and dramatic and will deliver a really crispy crust, but it'll also overcook a thick layer of the exterior of the burger. It's a good method if crispness is what you value most.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That was kind of my guess as well, since this unit tops out at just under 380F on the oil. In the name of ~science~ I'll probably give it a whirl tonight, if the oil filters thru the machine in time for dinner (just made a batch of chicken wings for its inaugural cooking, aaagggg so good)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Trip report: forgot to take a picture but it came out pretty good. Kind of a lovely cut of beef so I'm hesitant to compare it to cast iron finishing, but I feel like the cast iron char tastes a bit better. I might try with a rib eye or something similar next weekend (yes I know SV is a bit wasted on good cuts but drat it I value consistency), or possibly battering the steak before I dip it? Not sure.

Deep fry definitely wins for not setting off the damned smoke alarms, and cleanup with a dedicated deep fryer is a breeze.

Gotta lower it a couple degrees on the cook though, it came out closer to medium than medium rare after the oil dip, and I cooked at 131.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 21, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

(yes I know SV is a bit wasted on good cuts but drat it I value consistency)

???????

What makes you say that? If anything, SV is even better for good cuts since you're able to get end-to-end temperature uniformity, not overcooking a thin band of a nice ribeye or even (ugh) filet.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I pretty much exclusively cook cheep cuts in my sous vide :shrug:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Ciaphas posted:

Deep fry definitely wins for not setting off the damned smoke alarms, and cleanup with a dedicated deep fryer is a breeze.

I can't believe you're going through all this trouble and drastically increasing your oil intake instead of unplugging the loving alarms.

:shrug:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'm pretty sure that it's a myth that deep frying "drastically increases your oil intake." If you fry properly at the correct temperatures, it's not much different than pan searing with a couple tablespoons of oil. Also, we're not talking about a donut or fried chicken here. Even if it were true that deep frying resulted in frying oil being absorbed into the food...how much oil is a steak really taking on?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jan posted:

I can't believe you're going through all this trouble and drastically increasing your oil intake instead of unplugging the loving alarms.

I did unplug the two nearest the kitchen and that helped, but the ones in the bedroom and out by the main door are hardwired and unremovable without tools. At least one of those will go off if I'm searing because the airflow in the apartment from the kitchen takes all the air right by them, and they're garbage alarms.

Trust me, I tried to get around the problem! :smith:

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
How much time do you add when cooking from frozen for chicken breast? 30min another hour?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
30 minutes should do

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jan posted:

I love that my Nest warns me in a calm voice and lets me silence from my phone.

Probably should upgrade the vent hood though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Honestly the kitchen and surrounding concerns like smoke alarms are the sole thing that make me wish to buy a home instead of renting apartments. I'd get Nest smoke alarms in a heartbeat.

sterster posted:

How much time do you add when cooking from frozen for chicken breast? 30min another hour?

I've never added more than 30 minutes for anything in any quantity and it's always been fine

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ciaphas posted:

Honestly the kitchen and surrounding concerns like smoke alarms are the sole thing that make me wish to buy a home instead of renting apartments. I'd get Nest smoke alarms in a heartbeat.

FWIW they install in 15 minutes, and going the other way when you move out would be about the same.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Subjunctive posted:

Wouldn't that be amazing. My kitchen smoke alarm has a defective Snooze button, it's supposed to "snooze" for 10 minutes but it's usually more like 10 seconds. So I unplugged it ages ago and live dangerously now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jan posted:

Wouldn't that be amazing. My kitchen smoke alarm has a defective Snooze button, it's supposed to "snooze" for 10 minutes but it's usually more like 10 seconds. So I unplugged it ages ago and live dangerously now.

Yeah, the Nest snoozes until the smoke clears and then reactivates.

(Please plug in your smoke detector. Don't die. Maybe get a new one?)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jan posted:

The two next to my kitchen (yeah, two) were defective (?) in the same way, so I have them sitting battery-less in the pantry. If only it weren't for the other two (that appear to be hard wired into the ceiling--maybe the plugs are buried up there somewhere?) I wouldn't be having the ongoing saga.

That said I'm fairly satisfied with how foods have turned out so far in the deep fryer after SV--better than the searzall, worse than the cast iron, much easier to clean up--so it's not a big deal anymore. Next up I get to try making batter and having chicken-fried steak and pork :v:

(ed: actually now that I'm not bothering to sear anymore I should probably plug those other two alarms back in. I'll do that tonight.)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Back on the subject of actual sous-vide and not fire alarms, I just felt like I had to share this:

:shlick:

Was visiting my partner during V-day week and Whole Foods had this sale on sirloin steaks, we vizzled them at 53C for 3 hours and seared in a pan. God, it was so delicious. The fat parts in the steak were just melting away, I had to just munch on them as is.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

How long is too long for a couple of ribeye steaks? Most recipes seem to be in the 1-3 hour range, but it'd be a lot more convenient for me to chuck them in the bath in the morning and pull them out to sear when I get home from work (about 9-10 hrs). Should I adjust the temperature at all?

Thanks!

e: also I had my first catastrophic failure with vizzling the other day - the meat came out perfect, consistency-wise but the combination of spices and cooking for 72 hours made the meat smell and taste like literal poo poo. I'll definitely do short ribs again but this recipe was the worst thing I've ever cooked in my life.
http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/cocoa-dusted-short-ribs

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 22, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

How long is too long for a couple of ribeye steaks? Most recipes seem to be in the 1-3 hour range, but it'd be a lot more convenient for me to chuck them in the bath in the morning and pull them out to sear when I get home from work (about 9-10 hrs). Should I adjust the temperature at all?

Thanks!

I think that would be bad and make them mushy.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think that would be bad and make them mushy.

That was my first thought, but was hoping otherwise. Thanks though, guess I'll save these for the weekend.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Made kenjis pork belly using this recipe

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/10/sous-vide-pork-belly-bun-pork-braise-mayonnaise-quick-pickled-cucumbers-recipe.html

The pork belly was fantastic. But the pork braise mayo is incredible. Highly recommended.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

That was my first thought, but was hoping otherwise. Thanks though, guess I'll save these for the weekend.

You might be able to find a tougher cut that would benefit from the longer treatment. 9 or 10 hours isn't enough for short ribs, but there might be something out there in the middle.

I like short ribs at 132 for 48 hours. They come out very steak like, but like the beefiest steak you've ever eaten. So you would have to plan further ahead for that, but you could have the same convenience when it's time to eat. And an extra couple hours won't matter with that.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Another thing you could do is sous vide them one night, pull them out and transfer to an ice bath then refrigerate. The next night all you have to do is pull them out, throw them in the bath for 30 minutes to warm them up if you want, then sear.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You might be able to find a tougher cut that would benefit from the longer treatment. 9 or 10 hours isn't enough for short ribs, but there might be something out there in the middle.

I like short ribs at 132 for 48 hours. They come out very steak like, but like the beefiest steak you've ever eaten. So you would have to plan further ahead for that, but you could have the same convenience when it's time to eat. And an extra couple hours won't matter with that.

Denver steaks. They're made from chuck roll.

http://www.westword.com/restaurants/the-denver-steak-was-designed-to-put-this-cowtown-on-the-map-but-wheres-the-beef-7367648

Also for deep fried steaks, either freeze and deep fry before SV, or dip in Liquid Nitrogen for 30 seconds before frying for 30 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_tgxzXmpKQ

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I dunno about the liquid nitrogen thing, but I thought trying to deep fry frozen food was how you set your home on fire. I'll have to watch that video after work to see what the deal is, thanks for linking it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

frozen with lots of ice crystals = :flame:

frozen but dry on the surface = Magic searing.

Alternately you could try and cold sear it on a block of dry ice.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can deep fry ice cubes if you want, you just need to ensure there's enough headspace for the bubbles and splatter.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The instant pot folks have their own IC now. You can get it today for $80 with the code BIGTHANKS.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JNKEMH...316%5Bb%7Cdeals

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I got some prime top sirloin at Costco, cooked it all at ~133 for a few hours, and stuck the bags in the fridge. This didn't actually disrupt the marbling at all (unrendered fat still inside), and for the next week or so I can just go grab a cold + unseared steak from the fridge, quickly sear it in the cast iron, and it's awesome. Probably my go-to method for steaks now.

Ciaphas posted:

I dunno about the liquid nitrogen thing, but I thought trying to deep fry frozen food was how you set your home on fire. I'll have to watch that video after work to see what the deal is, thanks for linking it.

The frozen + deep fry thing is because suddenly heating a frozen object with ice crystals causes it to pop open with water vapor, and when you do that in oil, you create what is basically highly flammable oil mist that can violently explodes when it touches the flame / burner. Theoretically if you have enough space that the mist never reaches the burner, or you are frying a small enough object that it won't create a massive amount of it, you'll be fine.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In those turkey videos, it looks like the columns of flame shoot straight up and don't originate from the burner.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

They do, though. A small amount falls down and the flame climbs quickly. Because most of the fuel is in the pot, it appears that's the source.

:ms:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why are sealer bags (often?) cross hatched on one side? I don't like the marks on my food.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Anne Whateley posted:

In those turkey videos, it looks like the columns of flame shoot straight up and don't originate from the burner.

Yeah you'll see flames only start when the pot overflows from rapidly expanding steam shoving oil up and out of the way sending oil down to the burner.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Subjunctive posted:

Why are sealer bags (often?) cross hatched on one side? I don't like the marks on my food.

I think that's the gimmick of food saver. It provides channels for air to escape or some poo poo.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

it looks that way because the steam hides the ignition, so it just looks like it's going up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

I think that's the gimmick of food saver. It provides channels for air to escape or some poo poo.

I think it has something to do with capillary action...I dunno. Paging SubG