Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wielder posted:

ID-0 has a new PV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-pSJ_kjh8s

Not what anyone was expecting, right?

However...if you think that's not interesting enough, there's also a translated plot summary.

Which kind of spoils the surprise, but I think the intrigue also balances things out nicely.

Here's hoping it's better than Active Raid. Taniguchi can usually get the best out of his writers, but that depends on them being good to begin with, and Kuroda's output is... variable. He did Build Fighters, but also Try. He did the first season of 00, but also everything else. His last collabs with Taniguchi were Infinite Ryvius and s-CRY-ed, so that's probably our best guide here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Here's hoping it's better than Active Raid. Taniguchi can usually get the best out of his writers, but that depends on them being good to begin with, and Kuroda's output is... variable. He did Build Fighters, but also Try. He did the first season of 00, but also everything else. His last collabs with Taniguchi were Infinite Ryvius and s-CRY-ed, so that's probably our best guide here.

i mean, it's probably worth accounting for some Bandai involvement in Try, instead of entirely laying blame on the writer. Ryvius is another weird case where i'm not sure why it has all the disparate elements it does but they ended up dragging down the show throughout the middle.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Probably. I still liked Active Raid for what it was, don't need to elaborate on it here, but this is apparently going for something relatively more sophisticated at heart. I think Kuroda has shown he can handle it. Even Gundam 00, love it or hate it, did a good job with its speculative science fiction in season one.

On the one hand, Orange isn't handling the 3DCG this time so it won't look nearly that great. On the other hand, Sanzigen did a better than average job with their 3D work in Bubuki Buranki recently.

dogsicle posted:

i mean, it's probably worth accounting for some Bandai involvement in Try, instead of entirely laying blame on the writer. Ryvius is another weird case where i'm not sure why it has all the disparate elements it does but they ended up dragging down the show throughout the middle.

You can say that, but I'd argue Infinite Ryvius got increasingly more interesting as the social dynamics shifted and the internal power struggles combined to develop the cast. That's what made the core of the show work, in my opinion, beyond any other particular element being to my personal liking or not.

wielder fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 19, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wielder posted:

You can say that, but I'd argue Infinite Ryvius got increasingly more interesting as the social dynamics shifted and the internal power struggles combined to develop the cast. That's what made the core of the show work, in my opinion, beyond any other particular element being to my personal liking or not.

I didn't really have a problem with the ship's shifting societal dynamics, but regularly taking focus from them for the robot battles was a turn off for me. The show probably would've been stronger if they condensed or somehow eliminated them. There are other less major issues like the soundtrack being used badly or the presence of the dumb comedy/recurring characters. The ending is actually a really great culmination of everything though, it just really gives me conflicting feelings since the meat of the show often felt like a slog.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Someone or something definitely hosed up in production.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Nice boat

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nyanbo was cute this week

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
:nws:

https://i.imgur.com/ZwSRstp.jpg

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

For anyone peeved at the Tanya recap episode this week, I have something for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyxSZhushjU

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

no thank you

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

dogsicle posted:

no thank you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

dogsicle posted:

no thank you

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dogsicle posted:

no thank you

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

no thank you

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

dogsicle posted:

no thank you

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

dogsicle posted:

no thank you

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Never mind.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
:nws:

https://i.imgur.com/ZwSRstp.jpg

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Butt so nice, posted twice

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

no thank you

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

El Burbo posted:

look at that back

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Speaking from a geological standpoint, I'm a bigger fan of impressive cleavage, but the sculpt on that mineral is exquisite.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
That's no mineral...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/tenchimuyo20th/status/833652738206490624

they've announced a new megazone 23 +remake, and a pretty sammy sequel

what

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

everything old is new again

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which one is that image from lol

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Davincie posted:

what

I don't know what those are, but that is cute. I'm in.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tenchi Muyo somehow keeps existing. I don't even know who watches them.

Megazone (or at least the first two parts) rules but it's definitely far on my "needs a reboot" list. Especially if it lacks the 80s fashion!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm not sure a TV series would be able to replicate the transition from part 1 to 2 in the same cool way either. Since, for those who don't know, both parts had entirely different staff, to the point where even the character designs are p different.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davincie posted:

what

They've been quietly releasing Tenchi franchise stuff all along, it's just that nobody watches it and no one cares. I'm convinced it's a front or a tax scheme or something.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Everyone should check out parts 1 and 2 of Megazone 23, basically. Can easily be done in a single day and they hold up well enough.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I thought the (original) Pretty Sammy TV series was quite good. Cautiously looking forward to some more info.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Andy and Frank's dad, Fabian, is pretty powerful.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I really need to re-watch Megazone 23, cool that it's getting a remake.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Megazone 23 had a great concept and executed it decently enough, but mostly thrived on sheer style. Not to mention those cool transforming bikes. I believe there was also a very awkward sex scene for some reason and that probably helped popularize another infamous OVA trend.

I don't remember much about the second OVA other than it was pretty different, so I'll trust the people saying it was good in its own way, but the third one felt weird and almost completely unrelated to the initial premise. If they're going to make a remake, I hope they find a nice balance between paying direct homage and doing their own thing in an interesting way.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/834515414692487169

(Warning, there's a panty shot)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 23, 2017

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wielder posted:

Megazone 23 had a great concept and executed it decently enough, but mostly thrived on sheer style. Not to mention those cool transforming bikes. I believe there was also a very awkward sex scene for some reason and that probably helped popularize another infamous OVA trend.

I don't remember much about the second OVA other than it was pretty different, so I'll trust the people saying it was good in its own way, but the third one felt weird and almost completely unrelated to the initial premise. If they're going to make a remake, I hope they find a nice balance between paying direct homage and doing their own thing in an interesting way.

Yah the third one suffers from telling a much more generic story & having literally unfinished animation in some spots.

I'm hoping they can find an interesting new angle with a remake, that still keeps up the spirit of the original. The way part 1 ends is cool but I'd like to see them try a different type of unexpected ending in a remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Has someone made or can someone make a character relationship chart for Scum's Wish? It's easy enough to follow if you're watching, I just think it would be hilarious for the uninitiated to see all of the different multidirectional flowchart arrows of poor relationship reasons connecting all of the characters.

• Locked thread