Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Problem with that approach is it's only detecting gammas, it's not going to see alphas or betas so it is definitely going to undercount.

It's going to undercount all together because gammas don't always scintillate, especially in your phone camera. Actual gamma detectors have specialized scintillators and require specific conditions to operate. High purity germanium detectors (HPGe) need to be cooled with liquid nitrogen, for instance, to remain operable. Your phone camera won't detect nearly enough of anything to be relevant. Sodium iodide crystals can operate at room temperature, but are large and have poor resolution. Organic scintillators are frequently liquids. Your cell phone is none of these things.

As someone else mentioned, alpha emitters are only worrying if you ingest them, inhale them, get them in your eyes, or rub them into open wounds (basically if they get inside you somehow). Your eyes don't have skin on them to protect them, though, so they are at risk from external sources. Betas are another issue, but they are stopped by some amount of air, and a rather small amount of other things like aluminum. Really, though, if you are in an environment where you think you need to be checking radiation levels you should have a meter with you. Your cell phone is not sufficient and I would never recommend anyone use it as a detector, and if I saw someone doing that in my lab I would throw them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Three-Phase posted:

Man that's a pretty solid deadbolt. Or the guy there is just super weak as hell.

Or they moved a refrigerator in front of the door or something. Or a chair. https://youtu.be/sR1XZMO5YeE

Always good to do this to your doors. Not just in the locks, but in the hinges and everywhere. Gives you time to flush your dope.

Big fat long gently caress screws in the door jamb side, the lock side, and on both sides of the hinge.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if your door cannot withstand a Mongol horde

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Platystemon posted:

door withstand a Mongol horde

That's the idea. I live in Memphis, I like to make my doors as kick proof as possible.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Olothreutes posted:

It's going to undercount all together because gammas don't always scintillate, especially in your phone camera. Actual gamma detectors have specialized scintillators and require specific conditions to operate. High purity germanium detectors (HPGe) need to be cooled with liquid nitrogen, for instance, to remain operable. Your phone camera won't detect nearly enough of anything to be relevant. Sodium iodide crystals can operate at room temperature, but are large and have poor resolution. Organic scintillators are frequently liquids. Your cell phone is none of these things.

As someone else mentioned, alpha emitters are only worrying if you ingest them, inhale them, get them in your eyes, or rub them into open wounds (basically if they get inside you somehow). Your eyes don't have skin on them to protect them, though, so they are at risk from external sources. Betas are another issue, but they are stopped by some amount of air, and a rather small amount of other things like aluminum. Really, though, if you are in an environment where you think you need to be checking radiation levels you should have a meter with you. Your cell phone is not sufficient and I would never recommend anyone use it as a detector, and if I saw someone doing that in my lab I would throw them out.
I agree that all the tests show that a phone is a poor detector in most circumstances, but they also show there's an interesting linear relationship between gamma and CMOS counts (ie you don't use a Geiger calibration on a CMOS so the less counts compared isn't an issue) but the tests also show there's a floor and calibrations need slightly hefty sources because of that.

If you end up in a situation where you want a football field of a target, a Geiger counter is the best but there's an app for that if not. I don't think anyone's ever put forth consumer CMOS are the sort of replacement for quality semiconductor detectors or exotic scintillators for high-accuracy-high-precision counts.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Olothreutes posted:

Really, though, if you are in an environment where you think you need to be checking radiation levels you should have a meter with you. Your cell phone is not sufficient and I would never recommend anyone use it as a detector, and if I saw someone doing that in my lab I would throw them out.

What about non-lab situations?

A few years ago a relative of mine was given a dose of radioactive stuff after surgery for thyroid cancer, so he was slightly radioactive for a week or so. From googling it now, the stuff was almost certainly iodine-131. He borrowed an old Civil Defense geiger counter from someone, and used it for things like checking the shower or toilet seat after he'd used it, to see if any spots were hot enough to need another rinse down. A cellphone based detector (if they work halfway decently) would have been fine for that too, I think. Doctors routinely send people home in this condition with no detection equipment at all, only instructions to stay at arm's length from everyone for a while.

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

Vanagoon posted:

That's the idea. I live in Memphis, I like to make my doors as kick proof as possible.

Doesn't make it quite as kickproof, but a corkscrew driven into the gap between door and jamb makes a pretty good emergency lock. Not very OSHA since it takes a while to unscrew in the event of fire.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/VPBFKGh.gifv

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I was looking for some underwater ROV videos when I came across a YouTube video simply called "Horrible Rig Drilling Accidents in Russia".

At first it seemed like a shoe-in for this thread, but after about two minutes it became pretty clear that this was almost purely an industrial snuff video.

This included in separate incidents (all assumed fatal):
- Head getting crushed between moving equipment
- Having heavy equipment fall on workers
- Worker getting caught in a spinning shaft and flung
- Worker falling and landing in front of the camera

Lots of other horrifying serious injuries and close calls. :stonk:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

What about non-lab situations?

A few years ago a relative of mine was given a dose of radioactive stuff after surgery for thyroid cancer, so he was slightly radioactive for a week or so. From googling it now, the stuff was almost certainly iodine-131. He borrowed an old Civil Defense geiger counter from someone, and used it for things like checking the shower or toilet seat after he'd used it, to see if any spots were hot enough to need another rinse down. A cellphone based detector (if they work halfway decently) would have been fine for that too, I think. Doctors routinely send people home in this condition with no detection equipment at all, only instructions to stay at arm's length from everyone for a while.

In non-lab settings you are pretty unlikely to need to worry about gamma detection. I mentioned the lab because I actually have the authority to throw someone out, not because that setting in particular is super relevant. We have a number of detectors so we wouldn't need a cell phone to do it.

Everyday life is both filed with radiation and also absent virtually any worrying levels of it. If you find yourself in a situation where you want a detector for anything beyond passing curiosity you should probably have an actual detector. I can see the merit in using something like this as a "should I get the gently caress out of here? Y/N" indicator. Anything beyond that and I would question the results a lot. I guess I can download one and check it against one of our detectors as a neat experiment. If I find something out I'll report back.

As to the medical stuff, if there was any risk or meaningful exposure to the public I would be amazed if they sent him home. Instructions to stay a meter away from people are mostly precautionary, but I'm also not in health physics so maybe they can release people? Personally I would consider anyone I was sending home as an external source and if they were going to exceed the standards for public exposure I wouldn't release them. Also that would be a hell of a treatment.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

I'M JUST RUNNING IN THE 90S

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I can't see an improvised indicator being accurate without being able to calibrate it against a known source.. Probably good enough for "Am I about to die? Y/N" though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can someone freeze that gif as it slides by and put SICK NASTY! on it?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Olothreutes posted:

As to the medical stuff, if there was any risk or meaningful exposure to the public I would be amazed if they sent him home. Instructions to stay a meter away from people are mostly precautionary, but I'm also not in health physics so maybe they can release people? Personally I would consider anyone I was sending home as an external source and if they were going to exceed the standards for public exposure I wouldn't release them. Also that would be a hell of a treatment.

Radioactive iodine treatment is also used for cats with a thyroid disorder, I looked into a few years back they had to keep the cat at the vets for 10 days after treatment so all his radioactive poops could be properly disposed of. (I decided to just keep giving him the pills instead. Locking an elderly cat in an isolation cage around strangers for 10 days seemed too stressful.)

I can't imagine a cat gets a bigger dose than a human. :iiam: Though I suppose it's possible that cat wasn't dangerous either, and my area just has stricter regulations about scary atomz than wherever that goon lives.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

I can't imagine a cat gets a bigger dose than a human. :iiam: Though I suppose it's possible that cat wasn't dangerous either, and my area just has stricter regulations about scary atomz than wherever that goon lives.

Your cat is less dangerous, but there are fewer political/ethical/practical problems with keeping cats locked up for ten days than there are with keeping humans locked up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Olothreutes posted:

I think that's exactly how the healthy physics of nuclear medicine works. If you're released, you're not supposed to cause any extra health risk in the form of man hours lost to the chance of cancer. It works out easy enough because if a human becomes a source of interest they're probably on the way out.

Life extension gained vs life expectancy lost is the weirdest thing second to life extension per dollar.

e. I also suddenly remember that anyone receiving nuclear medicine was banished to the cold zone for a set amount of time because it invalidated TLD measures. Maybe more relevant if you are loving someone who just finished nuclear medicine than cleaning the toilet extra.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 20, 2017

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

I can't see an improvised indicator being accurate without being able to calibrate it against a known source.. Probably good enough for "Am I about to die? Y/N" though.
If you find yourself in a situation where you are asking yourself "is this thing/area radioactive enough to harm me?" and the only measuring equipment you have is your cell phone, you should just assume that the answer is "yes" and act accordingly.

It's no different than folks around here hauling around anhydrous ammonia for use on the farm. If I drove up on an accident, and there was a round white tank with what looks like smoke coming out of it, I'm gonna assume that it's a death cloud that's gonna lay waste to the tri-county area until proven otherwise, and not an engine fire or fog or whatever. Even if there was an app on my phone that got 4.9 stars and claimed to be able to analyze the spectral signature of a smoke cloud from the camera with perfect accuracy, I'm not trusting my health or my life to it.

However, it is interesting in a Science Fair kind of way, particularly for people who have a crazy fear of radiation, if for no other reason than to show them just how much radiation is whizzing through their soft, fleshy exterior at any given moment.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When I had a job at a science museum I was one day asked to bring a piece of raw uranium ore down to the conference hall for a demo. It was measurably radioactive, but not really dangerously so, as long as you didn't carry it on you all the time.

The ore was mostly, but not entirely, covered by a thick lead sheet. So it was heavy as hell and I didn't have a transport cart available at the moment. So I just grabbed it by the lead and carried it.

But at that point I ran into a dilemma - it was too heavy to carry with my arms stretched away from my body. And if I brought my hands closer, I had a choice: either keep it near my chest so I would kill myself, or keep it near my crotch so I would kill my future children.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

When I had a job at a science museum I was one day asked to bring a piece of raw uranium ore down to the conference hall for a demo. It was measurably radioactive, but not really dangerously so, as long as you didn't carry it on you all the time.

The ore was mostly, but not entirely, covered by a thick lead sheet. So it was heavy as hell and I didn't have a transport cart available at the moment. So I just grabbed it by the lead and carried it.

But at that point I ran into a dilemma - it was too heavy to carry with my arms stretched away from my body. And if I brought my hands closer, I had a choice: either keep it near my chest so I would kill myself, or keep it near my crotch so I would kill my future children.

We have a very strong cesium source in the lab that we use for certain experiments that lives inside a lead castle. It's basically a lead cylinder with lead plates at either end, one of which has a plug inserted in it so we can open it and produce a collimated beam of gammas. When sealed it is safe to carry, but very very heavy. This means that you are likely going to end up with it next to your crotch, and oddly the shielding around the sides is thinner than the front or back, meaning you get more dose carrying it sideways. It's heavy enough and the handles are placed such that you can really only carry it sideways.

Every now and then we'll put it inside our hotcell and use the manipulators to work with it, there's some neat science you can do with a very strong source like that, including demonstrating how to paralyze a geiger counter.

zedprime posted:

e. I also suddenly remember that anyone receiving nuclear medicine was banished to the cold zone for a set amount of time because it invalidated TLD measures. Maybe more relevant if you are loving someone who just finished nuclear medicine than cleaning the toilet extra.

The one that comes immediately to mind is breastfeeding moms who undergo treatment or imaging. You don't want your baby laying on your radioactive self and they are much more sensitive to radiation than our fully formed adult selves. Also some of that stuff probably enters breast milk and they should pump and dump for a while to clear it out. Again, I don't really do health physics, just shielding.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
RIP

Enjoy your supercancer

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Carbon dioxide posted:

There was more to this than just a demo, but you didn't need to hear all of it. You're a highly trained professional! We have assured the Administrator that nothing will go wrong.

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012
https://i.imgur.com/vg28rCt.gifv

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think you made the right choice.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord

Dude picked a bad time to bail

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

iroc.dis posted:

I don't have pictures of it but I got an email this week from the sister-site to mine about an osha recordable they had just had. IW foreman standing on huge rear end I-beams that were stacked improperly. Beams shifted (I don't remember why) and one rolled over pinching his lower leg against another I-beam resulting in a compound fracture of his fibia. Probably did not feel great.

Ugh, you say fracture so I'm assuming it's relatively minor but I can't picture a situation in which I-beams would do anything other than fold your leg into mush when clanged against each other. I would've hurled immediately and probably passed out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
A compound fracture is when your bones break through the skin.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This guy probably feels like Nathan Drake.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://gifsound.com/?gifv=VPBFKGh&v=XCiDuy4mrWU&s=85

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Nocheez posted:

A compound fracture is when your bones break through the skin.

Somehow I missed that bit, in that case all went as expected.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, boss, i delievered that steel coil. Fell off the truck and rolled away? no, i think i would remember that, i totally delivered it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

Yeah, boss, i delievered that steel coil. Fell off the truck and rolled away? no, i think i would remember that, i totally delivered it.

Same thing happened to my dads Suzuki years ago only it was a bale of wool. It got repaired but never drove the same again.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

cheese-cube posted:

Same thing happened to my dads Suzuki years ago only it was a bale of wool. It got repaired but never drove the same again.

I can't believe it was considered fixable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

cheese-cube posted:

One of the members of the Electric Light Orchestra was killed in 2010 from a hay bale rolling down the hill and striking his van. It was like real life Spinal Tap.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

I can't believe it was considered fixable.

Yeah I'll have to find the insurance photos. They took the frame from squashed flat to near new after a week. Less than a month later my dad traded it in for a Mazda 121. It was just hosed in so many innumerable ways...

Eighty Seven
Jun 4, 2010
My friends and I, back in High School picked up some rolled hay bales some guy was giving away to feed to the FFA chapter cows. Well, we rolled the fuckers on the goose-neck trailer and flipped them on the flat side but didn't secure them. These weren't the problem. The one we rolled into the bed of my friend's Ranger, however? Yeah, it rolled out right in front of an unfortunate posh country club, positioned around a nice bend in the road, and flattened the entire arrangement of flowers and a 15 foot tall, recently planted tree at the entrance before exploding against a wall, leaving a considerable mess. Laughed so hard I almost crashed my car because I couldn't see through the tears.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

A few years ago my girlfriend had an injection of some kind of radioactive dye, I am guessing iodine 131. And man that poo poo was HOT. I have some uranium ore samples, some marbles, glass and some americurium from a smoke detector, but drat. she would set my giger counter to its overload when she was outside! Ten feet away! through a cinder block wall! Her spit would do the same thing. it was nuts. My giger counter has a little alarm that would beep when it was trying to say, Hey, this is not safe.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Applesnots posted:

My giger counter

Does it measure in Hans Rudolfs and is it shaped like a penis/vagina.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Does it measure in Hans Rudolfs and is it shaped like a penis/vagina.

Yeah phone posting spelling. my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

chitoryu12 posted:

One of the members of the Electric Light Orchestra was killed in 2010 from a hay bale rolling down the hill and striking his van. It was like real life Spinal Tap.

Jeff Porcaro, the drummer for Toto, literally died in a bizarre gardening accident.