Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
I can't stand all of the vinyl communities online that aren't in flyover states, because all y'all talk about is how much cool poo poo you find in Goodwills. All you find in Louisiana Goodwills are farted-up throw pillows, crock pots and "god bless white America" type gospel albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
To be fair Ive checked 2 Goodwill's and a savers fairly normally (once a week to two) for the past 3 or 4 months. Most of the time it's poo poo. I think the best albums I've gotten otherwise have been Chuck Mangione so that's saying something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I found a copy of Amon duul ii wolf city in a goodwill in some poo poo town in Maine but it was just the sleeve. I snagged a Canadian press of Aja though.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Disgusting records from goodwill are the best.

It's nice when you find some dead persons weird record collection. I got a whole bunch of Larry graham and Rufus records that way once.

When I was like 17 and knew gently caress all about music I went to a gross basement estate sale and bought Kraftwerk - Computer World and Laurie Anderson - Big Science for 50 cents each because I thought the covers were cool. I wish I could rummage through that box knowing what I know now, that dead guy probably had some other sick poo poo

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MNSNTZR posted:

I can't stand all of the vinyl communities online that aren't in flyover states, because all y'all talk about is how much cool poo poo you find in Goodwills. All you find in Louisiana Goodwills are farted-up throw pillows, crock pots and "god bless white America" type gospel albums.

I'm in a very rural section and there's a lot of that here, too.

And once I found a copy of Hawkwind's first album.

That's by far the best thing that's ever shown up in a local Goodwill pile.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

MNSNTZR posted:

I live in one of the cool states and aside from the time I found a Prince 1999 7" single still in the sleeve I never find jack poo poo in thrift stores. I mostly just go there to get cheap books.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I found the bat dance 12" single at a Goodwill I think.

Other than that nothing other than loving christian jams or whatever

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I found the bat dance 12" single at a Goodwill I think.

Other than that nothing other than loving christian jams or whatever

If it's not Party Man it isn't worth talking about.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

CPL593H posted:

If it's not Party Man it isn't worth talking about.

I can't even argue with this, it's true.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
goodwills/thirft stores in cities are terrible

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stay depressed posted:

college towns are the place to go.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

college towns are the place to go.

I'd figure records would be pretty well picked over in a college town. Then again perhaps you'd find stuff that dummies with Crosleys don't want to cart back home.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Smeed posted:

I'd figure records would be pretty well picked over in a college town. Then again perhaps you'd find stuff that dummies with Crosleys don't want to cart back home.

Go to community college towns then.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
"dummies with crosleys" aren't picking goodwills for records jesus christ

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

stay depressed posted:

"dummies with crosleys" aren't picking goodwills for records jesus christ

Yes but I think you misinterpreted me. The the ones dumping their stuff there when they're done with school.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Smeed posted:

Yes but I think you misinterpreted me. The the ones dumping their stuff there when they're done with school.

You find cool stuff when college professors die and their family sends their poo poo to the salvation army. Its not college nerds dumping their lana del ray collection at the end of the semester.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

You find cool stuff when college professors die and their family sends their poo poo to the salvation army. Its not college nerds dumping their lana del ray collection at the end of the semester.

That makes sense.

I'm going to develop an app that aggregates obituaries and reports when someone might have records has died and show the closest thrift stores to them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was told by people at a Salvation Army that donations are sent to some distribution center then sent back out to stores so each store doesn't necessarily have things from that area. No idea if goodwill is like that too.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's a strange way to operate but I assume goodwill does the same I'm some form since they've got their online store. It just seems like a waste of money to cart around other people's garbage.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

When I die I'm going to be cremated in a funeral pyre made from my record collection that way no one can have it!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I learned that about Salvation Army because I donated a ton of stuff but accidentally left something I wanted in there. I thought I could maybe go back to the store and buy it once I had a chance a few days later but they described the system and said it could be almost anywhere in the region by then :smith:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

stay depressed posted:

i found a $200 bread machine for $16

it saved me a lot of dough

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Snowy posted:

I learned that about Salvation Army because I donated a ton of stuff but accidentally left something I wanted in there. I thought I could maybe go back to the store and buy it once I had a chance a few days later but they described the system and said it could be almost anywhere in the region by then :smith:

Also their organization is viciously homophobic.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I finally made it to East Street Records in Seattle today; I only had a half-hour or so, but I could have easily spent 2-3 hours there. And I learned about an entire new subgenre of music, Las Vegas Grind, which is goddamned amazing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I got this for $5:

Interesting story behind this one: Neil Bogart, head of Casablanca Records, gambled on this and had over a million copies pressed. It failed miserably and put the label over $2M in debt. According to the story "it shipped gold and went back to the label platinum". Luckily for Bogart, they signed Donna Summer in the following year (1975) and KISS' Alive was a huge success.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Found Lost Themes II for $9.50 on eBay. loving rules.

Came with a download code if anyone wants it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Skeezy posted:

Found Lost Themes II for $9.50 on eBay. loving rules.

Came with a download code if anyone wants it.

Grabbed this, much obliged friend!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've been joking about doing this for years and I'm kind of amused that someone is making it a reality:

http://www.boredpanda.com/company-turns-your-relatives-ashes-into-vinyl-that-plays-their-voices-after-their-death/

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CPL593H posted:

I've been joking about doing this for years and I'm kind of amused that someone is making it a reality:

http://www.boredpanda.com/company-turns-your-relatives-ashes-into-vinyl-that-plays-their-voices-after-their-death/

Jack White is kicking himself right about now.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CPL593H posted:

I can't wait to be sandwiched between Perry Coumo and German Folk Christmas songs when my ancestors grow tired of me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Joe Macronympha did a release with some of his dads ashes loose in it once. My closest was once doing a demo in a box with a good amount of loose ashes that I found on the street. Someone must have dumped the ashes out of the plastic box into an urn or something but didn't do a good job, you'd think they'd want to get it all out but nope.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Picked up Stankonia and the new Tribe. Got a download code for Tribe.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Gin and Juche posted:

I can't wait to be sandwiched between Perry Coumo and German Folk Christmas songs when my ancestors grow tired of me.

I can't wait to buy various dead people I never heard of from Goodwill stores across the country.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Skeezy posted:

Picked up Stankonia and the new Tribe. Got a download code for Tribe.

Grabbed this, thanks dude.

Also I had to do my community service at a Goodwill and everything arrived in big boxes on pallets and was sorted in the back. Rat turds and all.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gin and Juche posted:

I hope someone loses my jacket and slips me into an empty Whipped Cream and Other Delights.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

didnt get down to the store last month so heres two months worth

equiknoxx, demdike stare, shinichi atobe
elmo crumb (call super), anthony naples, slack djs (dk & low jack)

laurel halo, call super, anthony naples/hank jackson
takuya matsumoto, ital & aurora halal, rrose

beatrice dillon, karen gwyer, leif
anthony naples, joy o & boddika, giegling label comp

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ben Carsons Ghost posted:

I can't wait to buy various dead people I never heard of from Goodwill stores across the country.

I have little doubt that this would catch on as niche of record collecting.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T62OBSqVMw

Act fast, and it can be yours!!

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/234915836

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

I have little doubt that this would catch on as niche of record collecting.

"That David Grundleman ash record is amazing. He breathes super heavy for two tracks and sings ABC in the highest falsetto possible, the B-Side is just a sample of Rock Lobster being repeated for 15 minutes, it's wild and worth a couple grand"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This is one of those things I would absolutely buy if I saw it somewhere for ten bucks.