Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Silhouette posted:

Powerstanced bonefists

I never liked power stancing but I love the paired weapons and that might be closer to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Quality build is really good in general in dark souls 2. The DLCs added some good STR/DEX weapons though most of them are pretty late into them sadly. Bone fists is one of the fun ones, mabye not the absolute best. Though i beat the game using only them so they arent actually bad either.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I wish that the Malformed Skull didn't have the durability of a wet napkin, because it's got the same moveset and speed as the Great Club, but it's a loving dragon skull on a stick

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I had a really weird invasion the other day - in the untended graves I had an unannounced invasion on the ramp leading up to where the first bonfire is in the normal version of the area. It definitely wasn't the "Daughter of Crystal Kriemhild" that normally shows up (she showed up shortly after)

Maybe it was just a player invader, but like I said I dont remember seeing the announcement, they were just on the ramp - they walked really slowly towards me and I remember them doing a whole of crazy poo poo and they absolutely didn't not seem like they were playing like a human.

Closet thing I could find on it was a comment on fextralife from 2016 - the "Soul of Fire" name and having the host of embers thing sounds right, along with the stuff about walking and using pyros, the rest I'm not sure about.

quote:

I was invaded yesterday in Untended Graves by a NPC (I think) that I found absolutely no information on. I was playing with a friend using a Password, I was the Host. As we were walking up the hill (where the bonfire would be in the light version) I heard the sound of a invader spawning, but there was nothing that said a Player invaded, like what would happen when a NPC invades you.<br/><br/>However, the normal Invader, Daughter of Crystal Kriemhild, was not there. Down from where she would spawn was a Invader named "Soul of Fire" he was a Host of Embers. He was wearing the Pyromancer's Set and he had a greatsword and a pyromancer's flame. He never ran or rolled, he walked everywhere. <br/><br/>He had Pyromancy spells that do not exist in the game. I had Lightning Blade on my weapon and HE enchanted MY weapons with fire overriding my lightning blade. We did so little damage to him, my friend was using the Fume Ultra Greatsword was doing about 5% of his health pure swing. He had a spell that sounded like Farron Flashsword or the Farron Dart but it was a fire spell. He spammed the Warmth Spell everywhere. He had a Great Chaos Fire Orb that after it hit it seemed to do the Chaos Storm effect. He had a spell that made a line of fire from where he was to where I was. He also used Profaned Flame a few times. I think he also had a few other spells that literally do not exist in the game.<br/><br/>It was absolutely crazy; it took awhile to kill him and he dropped no items and it said "Dark Spirit Vanquished" like normal. It was really strange, but was even more crazy was the fact that I have found absolutely zero information about this guy. So was he some new NPC, or a really good hacker that can create new spells in the game, a Dev that is testing out some things. After we defeated him we went back to the bonfire for my friend to be demised and re-summoned, I did not rest at the bonfire, and when we went back to the place the normal NPC Invader spawned. Has anyone else found this guy? Does anyone have any information about this guy?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I had a really weird invasion the other day - in the untended graves I had an unannounced invasion on the ramp leading up to where the first bonfire is in the normal version of the area. It definitely wasn't the "Daughter of Crystal Kriemhild" that normally shows up (she showed up shortly after)

Maybe it was just a player invader, but like I said I dont remember seeing the announcement, they were just on the ramp - they walked really slowly towards me and I remember them doing a whole of crazy poo poo and they absolutely didn't not seem like they were playing like a human.

Closet thing I could find on it was a comment on fextralife from 2016 - the "Soul of Fire" name and having the host of embers thing sounds right, along with the stuff about walking and using pyros, the rest I'm not sure about.

Cheating like a motherfucker.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Cheating like a motherfucker.

Possibly, but seems super odd I ran into him in the exact same spot, like 10 months later?

Maybe it's his gimmick. I managed to win. Last time I ran into a hacker they were just invisible and invincible.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Paging Tallgeese

That sounds like his MO, at least back in DS1.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

So, I've finally beaten DS and DS2, and I'm moving on to this game. Playing a sorcerer like I did in the the last two, and I've run into some trouble on the High Wall of Lothric. It just doesn't seem to be working as well as it used to? Enemies with shields are smarter, can't bait them like I used to, and they bring them back up fast. And someone changed the binocular controls between games, and they're pretty much useless now.

So, starting to think I should start over as a knight, maybe respec some magic in later on?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

So, I've finally beaten DS and DS2, and I'm moving on to this game. Playing a sorcerer like I did in the the last two, and I've run into some trouble on the High Wall of Lothric. It just doesn't seem to be working as well as it used to? Enemies with shields are smarter, can't bait them like I used to, and they bring them back up fast. And someone changed the binocular controls between games, and they're pretty much useless now.

So, starting to think I should start over as a knight, maybe respec some magic in later on?

high wall of lothric is a bit of a tricky area no matter what build, really. perservere!!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
If you want to do magic in the beginning, pyromancers do really well early game since most things are weak to fire (and a few, like dogs and giant oozing wormsnakes, are stunned by it). You can easily go full into sorcery or miracles later with the baseline pyro stats. Or just stay a pyromancer, they're really good late game too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I beat the entire game running pure pyromancy. Some bosses were a nightmare (old demon king) but other than that it was fine. It's worth investing in enough dex to be able to use a good bow.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I beat the entire game running pure pyromancy. Some bosses were a nightmare (old demon king) but other than that it was fine. It's worth investing in enough dex to be able to use a good bow.

I'm running a pyromancer this time around and this was my first trip to the Demon Ruins

so drat glad I chose to use the Corvian Scythe, at least the demons bleed out in no time

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I beat the game as a sorcerer today and it felt good. I tried respeccing for dark sorceries with 40int/fai and it felt really weird and I changed back immediately. My problem is that I wanna stay around 80 or so because I've heard at 120 it's more bullshit pain in the rear end builds. I might eventually get 120 especially as a sorcerer. Right now I use a crystal rapier and court sorcerer staff, and then the other standard rings and cornyx's gear. I like being at 30% to roll nice and smooth. Not sure what I should do or try. Can I keep respeccing as long as I kill poo poo for Rosaria and get the pale tongue? I did wreck a dude as dark with deep soul... I've played the game at release and again now and today's the first day I ever invaded anyone. Felt really awesome.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Annath posted:

Paging Tallgeese

That sounds like his MO, at least back in DS1.

Not me. I don't hide my identity unless someone is being incredibly cute with CE upon seeing me.

The issue with the narration in question is that the descriptions are vague. That all seems like things I could do in DS1, yes. I sure hope other people have figured that out, it's been years now and DS3 is basically the same.

That said, I've never had excess defenses against HP damage except by accident. Which has gotten misinterpreted more than once into me not knowing how, as opposed to me wanting fights to be short.

Reducing my HP to 0 doesn't result in a "dark spirit" message showing up either. It shows a "Phantom has returned home" message, as if I used a Black Crystal. At least it did in DS1, I've never seen what it says if I am defeated in DS3. This person is still treated as a dark spirit by the game.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 20, 2017

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Oh yeah, I didn't me an to imply that it was you specifically, you've always used Tallgeese in some form as your name AFAIK, but I figured you'd understand the mechanism of the hack.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Holy poo poo DS2 had some legs. I hit the start of Drangelic Castle thinking I was almost done and there was still like another 7 bosses. Finished the main game though, now it is DLC time.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I love the walk up to Drangleic castle. You come out of this cave and it's raining and there's this big rear end dracula castle right there.

It's so gothic.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man my alt's build sucks at pvp, but invading in upper Irythill as a purple is stupid and funny.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Ds2 might not have consistent locales like people say but I do individually like all the areas. It was a enjoyable fantasy tour and I didn't really think how nothing fit next to each other.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Annath posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't me an to imply that it was you specifically, you've always used Tallgeese in some form as your name AFAIK, but I figured you'd understand the mechanism of the hack.

A lot of it is bullet editing.

You make a bullet that applies an effect. This is how I made my spell in DS1 that gave all sorts of boosts to allies in the healing radius, like Soul Protection.

DS1 and 3 never check the original bullet on the person who is struck's end end and see if it can actually apply that effect. So, a guy can edit some bullet to be invisible, wall-piercing, and to apply all sorts of effects. This includes breaking gear, applying a weapon buff, etc. The person who is struck simply takes your word for what effects your hit applies.

DS2 actually checked the original bullet's effect, so you never got anything like that.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 20, 2017

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
So, in SOTFS, I gathered that I have to start another game cycle to fight Aldia if I didn't do the questline right. Is there any other major content that's missable on a blind run, or just NPC questlines and such, and I can do all the other side areas and bosses on the current cycle after the ending has played?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

feelix posted:

So, in SOTFS, I gathered that I have to start another game cycle to fight Aldia if I didn't do the questline right. Is there any other major content that's missable on a blind run, or just NPC questlines and such, and I can do all the other side areas and bosses on the current cycle after the ending has played?

I didn't even know that boss was missable.
But yeah, NG+ doesn't start until you select it from the hub bonfire. The game just goes on after the credits.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I just beat DS3 for the first time (that's all the Souls games done, I'm a hardcore gamer now 8-) ) and I started as Sorcerer. I don't know why you're having trouble with the binoculars, I never had any trouble sniping with spells. Buy the chain set and the large leather shield, makes the early game meelee a lot easier.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

feelix posted:

So, in SOTFS, I gathered that I have to start another game cycle to fight Aldia if I didn't do the questline right.

Attitude Indicator posted:

I didn't even know that boss was missable.

Yeah I was certain you couldn't miss him. How did you mess it up feelix?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah I was certain you couldn't miss him. How did you mess it up feelix?

I didn't fight Vendrick

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Can't you use an ascetic to reset?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Tallgeese posted:

Can't you use an ascetic to reset?

Never tried, which bonfire would I burn it at to reset the final boss?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

feelix posted:

You're screwed out of your spoiler if you fight the otherwise final boss without progressing that quest line. That said, progressing that quest line consists of "light a bunch of bonfires you should be lighting anyway, and kill an obvious optional opponent". The latter point - and doing it before the final boss - is more likely to trip people up than the former.

For their sidequests, you must summon Lucatiel and Benhart for at least three of the bosses they qualify for, and have them survive the fight. You can use ascetics to accomplish this if necessary. Generally you can't summon them until you've spoken to them in the same/nearby area. In Lucatiel's case, do this before talking to her near the first bonfire in Aldia's Keep; Benhart doesn't have a cutoff. (Neither does Lucatiel, probably, if you just skip talking to her.)

With Pate and Creighton, to get the reward you must actually pick one to help. Staying out of it and letting them fight unaided will not get you the reward from the eventual winner.

Most DS2 NPC sidequests/rewards consist of some combination of:
- Exhaust their talk dialogue (in each location, if they move)
- Spend a certain amount of souls with them (if they're a vendor)
- Kill some tough opponent relevant to them plot-wise
- Raise some relevant stats high enough to suit their liking

The only other thing that comes to mind is, of course, don't pull The Lever. You miss out on a sidequest and some unique rewards from Navlaan. You can do this without actually killing any friendlies.

The only friendly you have to kill for the sake of some optional content (and getting a unique miracle, Soothing Sunlight) is the one you invade with the Crushed Eye Orb.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
It's not obvious to me at all that you're supposed to fight a guy who's minding his own business not hurting anybody. Y'all are too violent.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I'm about 2/3rds of the way through a badnit knife build and holy poo poo this thing is ridiculous, piss poor range aside. I'm not even bothering to throw luck up as it hits so fast bleed builds up in about 2 seconds anyway.
I do hope the gold tracer returns in the next dlc though.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Well, he's a shambling hollow who already removed his own soul to hide it from his wife. :zombie:

feelix posted:

Never tried, which bonfire would I burn it at to reset the final boss?
The first one in Drangleic Castle. Just be wary of the fact that you'll have to fight all of the bosses at the Throne of Want in succession, though you can quit/reload to get out of any of those encounters if a previous one heavily taxes your resources.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I forgot how annoying No-man's Wharf is. I just want to skip the ruin sentinels, cmon'

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

feelix posted:

I just beat DS3 for the first time (that's all the Souls games done, I'm a hardcore gamer now 8-) ) and I started as Sorcerer. I don't know why you're having trouble with the binoculars, I never had any trouble sniping with spells. Buy the chain set and the large leather shield, makes the early game meelee a lot easier.

Yeah, things are going better now, got the chain and the rapier, killed Vordt, on my to the rest of the game.

Thanks!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

I forgot how annoying No-man's Wharf is. I just want to skip the ruin sentinels, cmon'

new shortcuts in SotFS are a grand improvement, but goddamn the oil and those light-hating monsters

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It is odd that the shortcut in Dragon Aerie is just handed to you.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rough Lobster posted:

I love the walk up to Drangleic castle. You come out of this cave and it's raining and there's this big rear end dracula castle right there.

It's so gothic.

It took me 3 tries running up to Drangleic Castle nuking waves and waves of mooks before I realized the whole "statue snatches defeated souls to open" thing because my basic strategy was to pull them back to the stairs before engaging them. :argh:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I had a buddy drop me one of each bow and a big stack of every arrow variety on a new character. Running 40 dex with a variety of bows in my main hand and a sharpened shortsword in my offhand. I'm not trying to do only bows because that's stupid, but I'm using it most of the time and its surprisingly effective, even against invaders. Before trying this I'd never bothered to pull out a bow against an invader because I was sure I'd never hit. A surprising number of people see you with a bow and try to do a running strike, usually resulting in an arrow to the face if you release at the right time. The shortsword is a weapon I'd never considered before considering it's the same speed as a regular longsword, but you know shorter. It scales well with dex and is fast, and uses very little stamina per swing. A lot of people see the bow in my hand and get eager to close and don't see the sword until it's too late.

I'm running the long bow but I'll probably switch to the blackbow with dark arrows when I can afford to use them. I tried the short bow but the running/rolling attacks didn't really seem worth it. I just substitute throwing knives and get the same result. I also keep the Onislayer bow on reserve and it's ridiculously fun. Having one early game is amazing.

It's also a really good build for harrying invaders as a bluebro, I've feathered quite a few invaders while they danced with the host.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Nameless King has been whoopin my rear end for the last 4 hours. Any kind souls want to try for some jolly co op tomorrow evening? I'm on PS4 and my name is SA_LoG. Hit me up. Tia

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Man, phantoms in this game are generous. If any of you just gave a poor scrub a tour of the undead settlement and a Black Knight Shield and a Crystal Staff, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

I tried out the follower spear on a quality build and it was kinda fun, used Gottard twinswords, and if they were trying to get away I'll switch over to the spear and chuck it at them when they'd chug