Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh my god what a mess. Their gun line is almost completely unprotected now, though, can we get anything on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
What's left of Ikasuhito's brigade can get to the gun line in two or three turns. If they survive the attempt.

Unfortunately, that's not likely.

At this point, the battle now depends entirely on whether the French can also call in reinforcements. They have four completely untouched brigades, plus the one that's probably about to mutually destroy itself and our reinforcement brigade at Nainville. They also still have pretty much all of our artillery, whereas we've lost about half of ours.

The real problem is that when command radii are taken into account, I'm not sure we can take our objective and still be in touch with anyone in St. Croissant. And if we want to win, that's the only way left to us, because right now the French can trade one-to-one and we'll lose the battle from attrition before they do.

The jaegers need to move out towards Quatrepouts, or at least Dejeuner Ridge, and they need to do it ASAP. As does the brigade immediately west of St. Croissant.

Especially given that the French have an infantry brigade already moving in that direction. If they reach the objective and have time to dig in, we lose right then and there.

EDIT: It looks like a major factor is that the French have apparently been passing pretty much all of their morale checks, while we've been failing ours. Otherwise we might have at least routed some of their guns off the field. Assuming they don't somehow have their guns under independent command, anyway.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 19, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Seriously what the? My fresh bde decided to, first stop too early for the mg's to be able to see, then walk forward despite orders to not advance past the forest?

[E] most importantly it seems to have not killed anybody?

Saros fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 19, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Saros posted:

Seriously what the? My fresh bde decided to, first stop too early for the mg's to be able to see, then walk forward despite orders to not advance past the forest?

Welcome to my yesterday.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i am thinking of having the 77th form up here, on pasteur

unlimber the guns to the rear, as so

("front" is the top of the picture)

fire on the enemy but do not entrench yet
if the French rout await orders before pursuing them
break off if we get 1/2 or more casualties
if attacked from the right flank, refuse the line and shoot back

thoughts?

i am assuming that french brigade down there below my destination, with its left flank on sacados ligne, is going to right wheel and come up the hill into me.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 19, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Saros posted:

Orders being misinterpreted/ignored/lost seems to be a recurring theme by now. Not that it's historically inaccurate.

Anyways, the only way we win is getting something down to St. Croissant, so it's basically got to happen. Whenever we've got a spare runner tell the Jaegers to start pedaling leisurely in that direction while we keep the frogs busy in the east, I guess.

E: HEGEL we each only have 3 regular MG's, the diagram you're using has 4 horse MG's.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 19, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
lol while we get mulched we're gonna hail-mary pass Tias to the bottom of the map so we can win on a technicality :newlol:

edit: thanks, let me see if i can find the machineguns for foot in the place where we copy/paste poo poo from

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 19, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ikasuhito, welcome to being the only guy alive.

Did my runner make it to I's command?

E: I can't read.

Telling the brigade runners at my HQ to go find their commanders and not return before they do will be am Epic Prank.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Saros posted:

On Turn 8, it advanced 4", checked for targets, did not have targets, so advanced another 4". The left-hand machine gun and the mortar then had targets, and stopped. On Turn 9 it advanced another 4" to get all rifle companies into range and stop the right-hand MGs being blocked from sighting by the Old Forest, and has now switched onto Defend stance.

The rifle companies, mortar, and one MG opened fire on Turn 9 and scored two suppressions and one kill. (Their brigade scored five or six suppressions in retaliation, and you then shook all but two of them off in the rally phase.)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oh god.

We need to do something about our east, all their guns are there and it's being held in large part by that reserve bde that has no guns.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
When can I order the jägers again?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Anything north of the Nainville road is out of range of their guns. Let's get the reserves into place and get those useless heavy cannons behind the ferme de confit over to protect them. Stationary artillery in this game is very powerful and the best way to neutralize their huge battery is to force them to move it. I've marked out the zone of fire of the big battery.

Tias posted:

When can I order the jägers again?

Depends on how many runners we get, which we don't know right now. We should all make plans for what we need to do if we do get them.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 19, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

Anything north of the Nainville road is out of range of their guns. Let's get the reserves into place and get those useless heavy cannons behind the ferme de confit over to protect them. Stationary artillery in this game is very powerful and the best way to neutralize their huge battery is to force them to move it. I've marked out the zone of fire of the big battery.

Depends on how many runners we get, which we don't know right now. We should all make plans for what we need to do if we do get them.

Sure, I'm getting unstuck and hauling rubber for quatrepootle, but it'd be nice to have an estimate of when that happens.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Trin said he'd post about runners tomorrow so then I'll know what I have to work with. Then I'll have to look at what I have to get done with what I have to work with. I gotta get 78bde's guns online and there seems to be a French brigade sorta sidling towards QP so it might no longer be as straightforward as just rushing your guys into there.

e: Trin, the updates are legit bumming me out IRL so in terms of crafting atmosphere your narrative is on loving point.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 19, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I was looking at the movement of that brigade and I'm pretty sure that right now it's heading for la Oeuf. The question is, when it finally gets a change of orders, will it head to quatreprouts or back into the battle?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Runners and HQs update:

On Turn 8 and 9, the two runners who were with 14th Brigade's HQ, trying to get to steinrokkan's HQ, successfully made it to Nainville by doing an end run via the Old Forest to avoid the French brigade; reports that they came out singing jolly songs and wearing bright blue jackets and yellow boots are, as yet, unconfirmed. They were joined by a third runner from the 14th who departed when the HQ routed. Runners from 13th and 16th are also currently heading to Nainville in search of him, but in order to get there they'll make contact with the 4th (Saros's) Brigade, who will be able to tell them where he's gone.

steinrokkan himself is currently back in the forest, having quit Nainville successfully on turn 9 while the French were looking the other way. His HQ will arrive at Bouclecourt on turn 11 and re-establish telephone contact with HQ, from where it may send out five runners (to his one remaining brigade). A runner left his HQ on Turn 8, heading for that one remaining brigade; it is currently keeping a very low profile on Pasteur Ridge and will arrive at Ikasuhito's headquarters on Turn 10.

15th Brigade may give new orders and the Change of Orders will first be attempted on Turn 10.

aphid_licker successfully left Bouclecourt for Saint Croissant and for safety's sake is travelling in the company of the 5th (currently unassigned) Brigade; he is currently located with them on Pasteur Ridge. He will reach Saint Croissant on turn 10 and may dispatch further runners when he arrives and re-establishes telephone contact with Corps HQ. The runner sent to the Jaegers left on Turn 9 from aphid_licker's current position and will reach them on Turn 11.

76th and 77th Brigades received runners on Turn 9. 78th Brigade and the 4th (Saros's) Brigade dispatched runners on Turn 9 when they opened fire; the 78th's has made the road and will encounter DHQ on Turn 10, the 4th's is heading for Saint Croissant (being aware of DHQ's intentions) and will arrive on Turn 12. The Jaegers sent a runner on Turn 7 when they completed their orders and it will encounter DHQ on Turn 10.

76th and 77th Brigades may give new orders and the Change of Orders will take effect on Turn 10.
The Jaeger Battalion may give new orders and the Change of Orders will take effect on Turn 11.
78th and 79th, and 5th (unassigned) and 4th (saros), may give new orders in anticipation of a runner arriving.

DHQ currently has no runners; it may dispatch two runners on Turn 11 and one on Turn 13, which is planned to be the final turn of the update.

Reminder: soft deadline 5pm (GMT) this coming Tuesday, hard deadline when the adjudication begins, results to follow but possibly not until Wednesday afternoon, depending on circumstances.

Also, for reference:

Tevery Best posted:

Call in two inf brigades, assign them to 43rd Division command

It is usually not allowed to transfer assets once attached, but I may be persuaded otherwise in the interest of player experience; this would be subject to dice rolls, plural.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 19, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Are the reinforcement brigades assigned to a particular div HQ? it would make sense for Steinrokkan's HQ to take over control of them .

E: oh, i didn't realize that.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 19, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I wouldn't mind taking control of the reinforcements, otherwise I don't really know what my purpose here would be.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

We really need to assign a permanent commander to the 5th.

We have:
Supernumeraries:
Koolkevz666,
Taishi Chi
Ghetto Prince

Possibly Glynnenstein

and suddenly free brigadiers:
The Sandman
Covski
Nastytoes

Maybe soon Ikasuhito

I suggest that we give the guys who haven't played a chance to step up but if that hasn't happened by the next turn, one of the old brigadiers can have it. Please register your interest.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 19, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Trin Tragula posted:

It is usually not allowed to transfer assets once attached, but I may be persuaded otherwise in the interest of player experience; this would be subject to dice rolls, plural.

What is the current command structure of the reinforcement brigades? Are they in a separate division or directly under the Korps command? We don't necessarily need to change it but I think it was assumed new brigades would need to be attached to someone.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

They are under the 43rd because Tevery thought that the 19th HQ would be gone by the time they arrived.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

So what should my guys try to do? Im actually in pretty decent shape, if a bit scattered, so I have some options. I could see if my luck holds out and charge their artillery, or I could try to pull my guys back to add to our defence.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jaguars! posted:

They are under the 43rd because Tevery thought that the 19th HQ would be gone by the time they arrived.

I read that as Trin saying that they shouldn't have been, but now I see what he was saying.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ikasuhito posted:

So what should my guys try to do? Im actually in pretty decent shape, if a bit scattered, so I have some options. I could see if my luck holds out and charge their artillery, or I could try to pull my guys back to add to our defence.

In my orders I wrote that I would suggest pulling back, but that may be quite... problematic under new circumstances. I think if you can pull off a retreat, it would be nice. It will probably depend on whether the 43rd division brigades stay put or not.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'm not seeing much for me to do except sit still and shoot as much as possible.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A B C

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah putting the reserves under 19D now that its HQ is safe seems like the obvious move.

Gonna be funny when I randomly eat it in my now extremely forward-deployed HQ. I really kinda panicked when I ordered that move, bad decision in retrospect.

Could Perestroika / 78bde and Crazycryodude / 76bde take a look at the map in the roll20 and confirm that the green dot units are indeed 76bde's and the ones with the little man on them are indeed 78bde's? I think there's some weirdness going on. We gotta get the heavy guns into action - I utterly bungled this - and take pressure off 79bde.

HEGEL, that's good.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 20, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

My brigade (76th) is the one that just entered battle order on the road north of Croissant. In the Roll20 it's got green dots on my guns and what looks like an icon for a machinegun on the rest of my dudes. The green dotted units deployed west of the town are not mine.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Uh, okay. What should I do :ohdear:

I'm not entirely convinced the jägers are enough to take Quatreputz, but I'll try if you ask me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tias posted:

Uh, okay. What should I do :ohdear:

I'm not entirely convinced the jägers are enough to take Quatreputz, but I'll try if you ask me.

I'm not convinced there is going to be anybody in the way, but frankly if we could spawn our reinforcements pretty much immediately, what is going to stop the French from popping up with fresh brigades right on top of Quatre as soon as they find it occupied by a token force.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I had.. sort of hoped you'd break through and help me hold it :negative:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah putting the reserves under 19D now that its HQ is safe seems like the obvious move.

Gonna be funny when I randomly eat it in my now extremely forward-deployed HQ. I really kinda panicked when I ordered that move, bad decision in retrospect.

Could Perestroika / 78bde and Crazycryodude / 76bde take a look at the map in the roll20 and confirm that the green dot units are indeed 76bde's and the ones with the little man on them are indeed 78bde's? I think there's some weirdness going on. We gotta get the heavy guns into action - I utterly bungled this - and take pressure off 79bde.

HEGEL, that's good.

I just looked, and there does seem some weirdness to be going on. From the looks of it my dudes swung much further south and west than intended, and ended up west of StC? At least those guys have my battle formation and such. Meanwhile the guys right north of StC seem to be Crazycryodude's, as they have those 7,7cm FKs attached. So in terms of the R20 map, it actually looks like the MG and infantry with the green dots are mine.

Trin? Any hope of clarification who is who down there?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Great, thanks! Now to find a way to safely extricate my dudes from their without getting shot in the back a lot.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

A formation doesn't need to spin 180 degrees to move in the opposite direction if it's retreating from an enemy, although it will spin to face its direction of travel as soon as possible.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Great, thanks! Now to find a way to safely extricate my dudes from their without getting shot in the back a lot.

You've come to the wrong division if you value doing things safely :getin:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I remain unclear on how to proceed. Do you want me to swing eastward and engage the French flank, or troll down and take Quatreploof?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think Quarterpoodle is still our best shot right now, as long as we hug the edge of the map and hide behind the forest when crossing the ridge we can probably remain unseen the whole way there.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

You've come to the wrong division if you value doing things safely :getin:

So yeah then, what would be your orders for 78th given this development (aside from carting the arty into range, obviously)? Still redeploy to east of StC, or hold that flank, or do something terribly foolhardy audacious with some flanking shenanigans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm having a productive chat rn with Tevery in the roll20, drop by if you have the time.

• Locked thread