Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

GunnerJ posted:

The terraforming equipment swept them into subterranean reservations. The best terraforming.

Yep terraforming basically just builds a new planet on top of the old one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I wish it was more easy to set up games in relation to races. I keep starting on creating my own race pack that I could just stick to but it is so much work to build them. It should be possible to just pick a personality and not having google what ethos combination has an X% of generating Y personality and then working that into my formula. Start with personality and open up ethoses based on that if there really has to be a direct link. Just putting all my trust into a goon pack where basically all offered races are thrown in, also does not seem like a very brilliant idea.

I realize I can just trust the engine to create a balanced galaxy but the random races are just so drat forgettable. If I just roll with them the galaxy feels so generic. One game never creates a lasting impression of a race and in the next one the Xu'Lump'TaBah Conglomerate or whatever the gently caress it was called this time, does not even exist anymore.

The game setup screen could really use some sort of race inclusion/exclusion page which is more detailed than the current long list, which could make it more obvious at a glance what the races are like. As a minimum, there should be an option for the random races to have the same race images always be generated with the same kind of personality. I realize this is not for everyone but neither is the current wild west.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Awakened Empires can easily drop 150K fleet power onto you so you better be ready for a major military buildup if you want to take on an FE.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

GunnerJ posted:

You can generally take them on with fleet power between like (iirc) 20K and 40K depending on how well you've specced your fleet. If you're not there yet, it's a thing to work towards.

eta: Actually now I remember some FEs having like 70k fleets so I'm not totally sure when the right "ready" time is.

It's pretty dependent on the FE as well, as the four types have very different fleet designs.

I know I've beat the Xenophobic one with as little as 40k before, and it was a resounding victory, which means I could probably have comfortably taken him down at 30-35.

Awakened Empires on the other hand seem to start at around 150k (I think they get 100k fleet by event?), and I've seen one build up to >300k fleet power before. Was kind of an awful arms race getting up there myself to take him down.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Yeah, I really did specifically mean Fallen Empires, the Awakened ones are a whole different animal.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

Awakened Empires on the other hand seem to start at around 150k (I think they get 100k fleet by event?)

I don't know if it's 100k, but yes they get events to spawn fleets when they wake up.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

SirTagz posted:

I wish it was more easy to set up games in relation to races. I keep starting on creating my own race pack that I could just stick to but it is so much work to build them.

I almost exclusively play this in a regular multiplayer game, and we built a group of NPC regulars over time. Many came from my initial creations, but a lot of the others were people's memorable races from earlier games. I can tell you that it is definitely worth your time to grind out a bunch of custom races and set them to always spawn.

Seeing regulars really gives a quick narrative to the game. Plus, it's really nice having meta enemies. The Solipsid are our equivalent of EU France. They're a bunch of hateful horse people that always seem to get advanced start and there's something special about hearing "gently caress! I found the Solipsid," over voice chat every game.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The design of the empire creation screen seems to underestimate player interest in creating a bunch of custom NPC races, but some feature to select an AI personality from a drop down and have it fill in the likely ethos/traits for it would be a big improvement imo.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

MilkmanLuke posted:

I almost exclusively play this in a regular multiplayer game, and we built a group of NPC regulars over time. Many came from my initial creations, but a lot of the others were people's memorable races from earlier games. I can tell you that it is definitely worth your time to grind out a bunch of custom races and set them to always spawn.

Seeing regulars really gives a quick narrative to the game. Plus, it's really nice having meta enemies. The Solipsid are our equivalent of EU France. They're a bunch of hateful horse people that always seem to get advanced start and there's something special about hearing "gently caress! I found the Solipsid," over voice chat every game.

Yeah any species I play a decent game with gets put on the 'maybe spawn list'. It's nice seeing them turn up again in the next cycle :bsg:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am boring and only play as different flavors of Humanity, so all of my "aliens" are just various homo-sapiens living out among the stars :/

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I am boring and only play as different flavors of Humanity, so all of my "aliens" are just various homo-sapiens living out among the stars :/

Nothing wrong with playing the Star Trek mod

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Download the goon empire pack and diversify that poo poo!

Also MilkmanLuke I hope you submit a few of your favorites to the goon mod.

Feedback from anyone using it is appreciated - what races are your favorites? Which ones are dumb? Are any broken? Let me know if you are even using it at all!

Personally its been very nice to start recognizing people.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 20, 2017

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Are the Goon races set to always spawn, or only maybe spawn? Is there a way to modify the weighting so that I get some of them in a game but not necessarily all of them?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

GlyphGryph posted:

Feedback from anyone using it is appreciated - what races are your favorites? Which ones are dumb? Are any broken? Let me know if you are even using it at all!

i've subscribed to your newsletter but probably won't be revisiting stellaris until after the expansion
still, thanks for compiling it all

i think my biggest challenge with the game is it's way too easy to lose entire nights to playing, once things get going they kind of never stop happening

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

GlyphGryph posted:

I plan on it!

Also I noticed that there are a lot of dependences for the mod. Would there ever be a world where there is one big goon "mod to rule them all" that has all of the combined mods from different authors here in it, or would that be too much of a logistical problem?

Anyways, thanks for putting all of this together! I'll download it this evening!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm using it, but I tend to copy over the ones I like best into my user empires file so I can control how/whether they spawn.

If absolutely nothing else, not having random-rear end word salad names like "Combined Yzugig Sovereignty" and "United Bublbabo Worlds" all over the place adds a lot of personality.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I plan on it!

Also I noticed that there are a lot of dependences for the mod. Would there ever be a world where there is one big goon "mod to rule them all" that has all of the combined mods from different authors here in it, or would that be too much of a logistical problem?

Anyways, thanks for putting all of this together! I'll download it this evening!

The mods are almost purely aesthetic/flavour mods. One adds a new government type (which you can ignore) and they are all optional - any Empires that depend on them will not spawn or will mostly safely fall back to other options.

Subscribing is also pretty quick and simple since it's literally done from the workshop.

I wouldn't want to try and combine them all manually though - would rather rely on the mod author fixing their stuff than me, and let people not download the stuff if they don't want it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

Are the Goon races set to always spawn, or only maybe spawn? Is there a way to modify the weighting so that I get some of them in a game but not necessarily all of them?

They are set to always spawn (but they won't be in all games unless you have a huge galaxy - there's a lot of them!). If you do as GunnerJ mentions and copy the mod file into your userEmpires file, then you get the normal control toggle that allows you to switch between always/sometimes/never. But even as is, you won't get all of them in a normal game - you just won't get anything that isn't them.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I do plan on using it in the future and submitting one myself, but I'm still suffering from Paradox Syndrome at the moment.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I find it frustrating that the Charismatic and Repugnant traits link together the diplomatic and planetary happiness bonus/malus. I want to make a race that are marvellous to behold but then once you accede to their migration treaty request they move in and poo poo up your planets and make all your existing inhabitants miserable.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure that's xenophile and repugnant combo - see blorg :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
With the Blorg you can see the problem coming. My space parrots are magnificent to behold. It's only when your planet is covered in bird poo poo and they've taken everything apart to see how it works that you realise you've made a mistake.

Edit: is there a better worse combo than Repugnant, Nomadic, Rapid Breeders, Adaptive and Deviants?

GotLag fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 20, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

GotLag posted:

With the Blorg you can see the problem coming. My space parrots are magnificent to behold. It's only when your planet is covered in bird poo poo and they've taken everything apart to see how it works that you realise you've made a mistake.

there is something pure and heartening about how much the person who made that mod loves parrots

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

there is something pure and heartening about how much the person who made that mod loves parrots
His attitude toward helmets is sickening.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

drat. He wants to add kakapo and kaka. Respect, mod guy. :parrot:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Anticheese posted:

drat. He wants to add kakapo and kaka. Respect, mod guy. :parrot:
Kakapo has fanatic xenophile ethic by default and you can't remove it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/833640469531914240

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Give up your secrets, mysterious honeycomb thing.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Whatever it is, it will be delicious.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Splicer posted:

Kakapo has fanatic xenophile ethic by default and you can't remove it.

I see nothing wrong with that. They need to find more documentary crews to be magnificent and or inappropriate in front of.

Also oh god that government screen looks so good

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
So I'm guessing that the (non-hive mind) authority levels are democracy, oligarchy, autocracy and monarchy, with autocrats being elected for life and monarchs having heirs instead?

I assume egalitarian/authoritarian will still close off authority levels? If so wiz please add a civic called hypocritical or cognitive dissonance so I can make fanatic egalitarian monarchists and achieve the end-state of libertarianism for my evil John Galt space fungus thanks

I'm so hyped for this expansion, it looks so awesome. :D

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Looks like they separated Dictatorships and Monarchies? Nice.

(I am so loving hype for civics, more ways to differentiate my custom empires???)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Splicer posted:

Give up your secrets, mysterious honeycomb thing.

Since it's on the government screen, it seems likely that it does have something to do with the new "advanced" governments.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's the hive mind ethos. What their actual mechanics are is a complete mystery.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Freudian posted:

Looks like they separated Dictatorships and Monarchies? Nice.

Yes, this is literally The Best Thing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ein Sexmonster posted:

It's the hive mind ethos. What their actual mechanics are is a complete mystery.

Dunno, it seems a little odd for one particular kind of weirdo government to have a symbol all to itself, but you could be right.

eta: Unless there are different kinds of "hive minds" just like there are different kinds of democracies, oligarchies, dictatorships, and monarchies.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Going back to one of the jokes from the gAstronomy discussions, it'd be neat if there were ethics you can't choose at start but your pops can develop. Like Xenophage or Robot Sympathiser.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

Dunno, it seems a little odd for one particular kind of weirdo government to have a symbol all to itself, but you could be right.

eta: Unless there are different kinds of "hive minds" just like there are different kinds of democracies, oligarchies, dictatorships, and monarchies.
Could do. Like distributed hive mind (original Borg) distributed hive mind with queen (post-First Contact Borg) an actual hive (ants) etc.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Splicer posted:

Going back to one of the jokes from the gAstronomy discussions, it'd be neat if there were ethics you can't choose at start but your pops can develop. Like Xenophage or Robot Sympathiser.

I think those would be factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GunnerJ posted:

Yes, this is literally The Best Thing.

Now I'm wondering how they distinguish the monarchy/dictatorship variants for different ethics.

Militarist: Feudal Monarchy and Military Dictatorship? Thinking about "feudalism" here as being mostly about warrior nobility foightin' for turf.

Spiritualist: God-Emperor and Ecclesiarchy, basically the difference between a deified monarch and a position like the pope, who gets elected by a religious conclave.

Pacifist: Enlightened Monarchy and... No idea.

Materialist: We have the dictator (Despotic Hegemony) already, but I'm not sure about what a materialist monarch looks like. Actually, if we take "materialism" as being about wealth, this is a good place for the owner of a galactic "family business" cartel. :v:

Default: We have a Despotic Empire, what a regular-old unflavored dictator would be I don't know. Just "Dictatorship" I guess?

• Locked thread