Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

That mod isnt going to teach you where to shoot though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just focus on shooting wherever you can pen to do damage, getting crits is such a crapshoot it's not worth it to waste the effort trying to get them purposefully.

EDIT: Intentionally tracking someone in a bad spot notwithstanding.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Char B1 ter

Queue: Strv 103, 02SS Aerosan, Pz.Sfl.IVb, CKD TNH and LTP (Tanque 39), Emil and KRV, M3A1, ZIK-20, T-12/T-24, LPP-25, LTP, Valentine in the USSR, ZIS-41 and ZIS-43 halftracks, Medium Tank M2, T2E1 Light Tank, Combat Car M1, T18 HMC, M10 Wolverine, Infantry Tank MkI

Available for request:

:911:

:britain:
A1E1 Independent

:ussr:
T-37 with ShKAS
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122
76 mm gun mod of the Matilda
Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis
45 mm M-42 gun
SU-76 prototype

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv 81 and Strv 101

:poland:
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40
25 mm Hotchkiss gun

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzII Ausf. c through C
PzII Ausf. D through E
PzII trials in the USSR
Pak 97/38
7.5 cm Pak 41
Hummel
s.FH. 18

:eurovision:
LT vz 35
LT vz 38

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Salean posted:

Sure it does. It paints things that are easier to pen neon green.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Salean posted:

Most importantly, it shows where the fuel tanks are located for that lovely "light two tanks on fire" mission.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Desuwa posted:

Got accused of cheats by a pubbie again. This one was a little different because I bounced two or three IS-6 AP shells off his jt 8.8 at long range (didn't have anything else to shoot) and he was real triumphant over how "my cheats" had failed me. Usually when I'm accused of cheating or hacking it's because I did something well, like shooting them without getting spotted, so this one was notable.

He didn't say which specific cheat he was accusing me of, or want to see my replay (because I am a super hacker who can doctor replays), claims to "know people" in -G- who cheat, despite being coinflipper. He repeatedly claimed that cheats have been getting worse and his stats have been going down because he's an honest player, but a closer inspection shows that he plays a lot of overpowered tanks that got nerfed.

Of course by the time I thought to go back and screencap the choice quotes they had already rolled off the chat history.

Here's the game in question, it's not that great and if anything I did far better than I should have because I was on the 1-2 line on Abbey with too little help. Indecisive, out of practice purple with bare minimum situational awareness, or prolific cheater whose cheats don't work? Who knows.

Apparently rossmum knows the guy: http://imgur.com/a/BJ5kU

e: Also notable was how he claimed to have blacklisted me twice without actually blacklisting me so he could try to have the last word. Funny thing about blacklisting is that the chat is terminated and the other person knows when it happens.

e2: I'm really confused by how he's trying to accuse me of having cheats if they're not working. Wouldn't a cheater without working cheats just be a normal player?

LMAO those heavies with 0 damage

Nordick posted:

This is usually my angle. If I can't damage'em, I'll try to keep them tracked so others can get around them.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 19, 2017

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

pun pundit posted:

Are you sure it was HE? 820 HP is well within the +/- 25% damage range of a 700 alpha shell.
Possible I guess but even so that gun is 100% bullshit. I had carefully whittled the fucker down to being a one shot using my pretty OP tier VI gun. That had taken three painstakingly difficult and (apparently)death defying manoeuvres. I don't think this arsewipe even aimed.

So you like chat drama? OK then:

I typed in chat before the game started, Lakeview encounter, "Valley=NO" Now I didn't expect everyone to obey me but this clown in a T-29 (Top tier) AND an AT 15A :psyduck: both went there anyway. Neither made it out to the North and we lost the match. My bottom tier T-50 tried to do an early spotting run down the middle and was spotted and killed by an invisible E-25 almost immediately. Such is the life of low tier scouts with crews that don't even have sixth sense. At least what I was doing had some prospect of assisting my team.

http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/Capowell/1003149519/

Here's the skinny on this ninny. I mean he's just normal bad not awful bad.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I have a controversial opinion. I like the FV4005 II.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Nordick posted:

Just focus on shooting wherever you can pen to do damage, getting crits is such a crapshoot it's not worth it to waste the effort trying to get them purposefully.

This is the outlook you should have in trying to click tanks in this garbage game

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cartoon posted:

lol no they're awful bad:

10700 T29 games are padding their stats. Their 900 average damage in the 1250 HP, overpowered T29, is what's keeping them afloat. They are flagrantly terrible in everything they play:

http://www.wotstats.org/stats/na/capowell/

that's a lot of black stats

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

E: i can't read

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Yeah OK. I was trying to be constructive.

Now for the begging.

What are the best, highest tier, premiums in the following categories:

Light Tank
Medium Tank
Tank Destroyer

Thank You in advance. I can't wait to give wargaming a bunch more money.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Now for the begging.

Light Tank
Medium Tank
Tank Destroyer

E 25, E 25, E 25. The CDC or T26E5 are acceptable replacements for the medium tank, and the CDC is also a pretty good light tank.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Medium Tank

Type 59 :smug:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cartoon posted:

Now for the begging.

Light Tank
Medium Tank
Tank Destroyer

Type 64, excellent mobility, camo and rof.
SuperPershing, rock solid.
SU-122-44, dpm, dpm, dpm. :hellyeah:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Cartoon posted:

Now for the begging.

Light Tank
Medium Tank T26E4 Super Pershing selected.
Tank Destroyer That isn't the E-25

Also
..i. :mad: .i..
And the light tank has to be an actual light tank. I want to finish some missions and, for example, it is only theoretically* possible (looks like someone managed it !) to do over 3000 damage in a T67.

I would just buy up normal higher tier tanks but I have a sub game I play where I can't crew the next tier tank until I have mastered the one I'm in. That *might* take a while.

* 45 shells X average damage 110 = 4950 damage but best of luck hitting every shot and having it penetrate.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The T-34-85 may have been the easiest and most enjoyable "grind" to elite I've ever had.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Also
And the light tank has to be an actual light tank. I want to finish some missions and, for example, it is only theoretically* possible (looks like someone managed it !) to do over 3000 damage in a T67.

I would just buy up normal higher tier tanks but I have a sub game I play where I can't crew the next tier tank until I have mastered the one I'm in. That *might* take a while.

* 45 shells X average damage 110 = 4950 damage but best of luck hitting every shot and having it penetrate.

I'm exceptionally good and apparently my max damage in the T67 is 2500. I've only played like 50 games in it since they added the maximum damage stat though. It's far easier to just get a Skorpion G if you want to do TD missions.

Also I just logged in, the last game I played was on January 18, and I have a message from someone welcoming me back:

quote:

Raptango (2/9/2017 3:12:32 AM) stil a human being

Good ol' World of Tanks.

e: oh hey Tullis really gets around.

quote:

Tullis (12/11/2016 10:09:43 PM) reported
Tullis (12/11/2016 10:09:47 PM) dont bother with the comebacks
Tullis (12/11/2016 10:09:51 PM) not gonna be reading them

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 20, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Gonna try that one on one tournament Thursday, how do they work? do I just log in at the specified time and some sort of special battle option appears?

http://worldoftanks.com/en/tournaments/1000000502/team/1000251191/

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Axetrain posted:

Gonna try that one on one tournament Thursday, how do they work? do I just log in at the specified time and some sort of special battle option appears?

http://worldoftanks.com/en/tournaments/1000000502/team/1000251191/

yeah. special battle icon will magically appear, hopefully half the people you have to face won't show and you get free glods!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cartoon posted:

While I'm heartily sick of being one shot from full health (820 HP) in my ARL 44 by KV 2s (The 84 mm pen HE shell should not be able to pen the front of either my turret or hull especially if angled properly) Pansy has been a good influence. I got my first ever TK ban last night in my JPanther. They must have tightened the requirements considerably. I regularly get battle buddy medals and almost never do team damage even by collisions. I went from clean skin to banned in three shots/one kill. Now maybe shooting the guy in the arse was an over reaction to him ramming me while I was aiming a shot and if they hadn't started turning their barrel towards me I wouldn't have had to shoot them twice more in self defence. Back in the 'old days' I use to occasionally derp kill annoying scouts/mediums who were getting in my way and I never once even went blue. Talk about 100% care bear.

Hellsau posted:

The ARL's LFP is 50mm. The turret sides are only 30mm and the turret cheeks are pretty large. The UFP is 120mm so it isn't like AP is too much more likely to pen where HE wouldn't.

God they really hosed up the ARL's armor scheme for no apparent reason.

This reminded me; the ARL's 30 mm turret armor wraps around to the front, where, not only is it easy to pen, but it can be overmatched! (Think mid-tier German 105 howitzer with AP.) Not too long ago I was driving mine and some ~46% mouthbreather in a Hetzer got a lucky pen on me for 400 loving damage. :suicide:

Desuwa posted:

Got accused of cheats by a pubbie again. This one was a little different because I bounced two or three IS-6 AP shells off his jt 8.8 at long range (didn't have anything else to shoot) and he was real triumphant over how "my cheats" had failed me. Usually when I'm accused of cheating or hacking it's because I did something well, like shooting them without getting spotted, so this one was notable.

He didn't say which specific cheat he was accusing me of, or want to see my replay (because I am a super hacker who can doctor replays), claims to "know people" in -G- who cheat, despite being coinflipper. He repeatedly claimed that cheats have been getting worse and his stats have been going down because he's an honest player, but a closer inspection shows that he plays a lot of overpowered tanks that got nerfed.

Of course by the time I thought to go back and screencap the choice quotes they had already rolled off the chat history.

Here's the game in question, it's not that great and if anything I did far better than I should have because I was on the 1-2 line on Abbey with too little help. Indecisive, out of practice purple with bare minimum situational awareness, or prolific cheater whose cheats don't work? Who knows.

Apparently rossmum knows the guy: http://imgur.com/a/BJ5kU

e: Also notable was how he claimed to have blacklisted me twice without actually blacklisting me so he could try to have the last word. Funny thing about blacklisting is that the chat is terminated and the other person knows when it happens.

e2: I'm really confused by how he's trying to accuse me of having cheats if they're not working. Wouldn't a cheater without working cheats just be a normal player?

I'm confused as to why you and Rossmum let some trash pubbie troll you for so long. :psyduck:

Azhais posted:

They're limited to 5 per side. Used to be unlimited, right after the tier 10 artillery were introduced I had a few 14v14 arty matches

I've been playing for over 5 years straight and I can't remember anything ridiculous like 14v14 arty games. In fact, I think they added the 5-SPG cap with the tier 10 line extension.

Anyways, 5 SPGs per side isn't an acceptable limit; when you have a game called World of Tanks you shouldn't have to deal with 1/3 of the vehicles in a match being non-tanks (and that's not even counting the TDs.)

Cartoon posted:

Possible I guess but even so that gun is 100% bullshit. I had carefully whittled the fucker down to being a one shot using my pretty OP tier VI gun. That had taken three painstakingly difficult and (apparently)death defying manoeuvres. I don't think this arsewipe even aimed.

So you like chat drama? OK then:

I typed in chat before the game started, Lakeview encounter, "Valley=NO" Now I didn't expect everyone to obey me but this clown in a T-29 (Top tier) AND an AT 15A :psyduck: both went there anyway. Neither made it out to the North and we lost the match. My bottom tier T-50 tried to do an early spotting run down the middle and was spotted and killed by an invisible E-25 almost immediately. Such is the life of low tier scouts with crews that don't even have sixth sense. At least what I was doing had some prospect of assisting my team.

Next time, expand the window (click the bottom right corner) so you only need to take one screenshot. :eng101:

Hellsau posted:

lol no they're awful bad:

10700 T29 games are padding their stats. Their 900 average damage in the 1250 HP, overpowered T29, is what's keeping them afloat. They are flagrantly terrible in everything they play:

http://www.wotstats.org/stats/na/capowell/

that's a lot of black stats

Black Stats Matter. :colbert:

Cartoon posted:

Also

As a Type 59-haver let me tell you: it's not that great (particularly anymore.) The FCM50 is a better pref 8, at least for my playstyle.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The T-34-85 may have been the easiest and most enjoyable "grind" to elite I've ever had.

Please tell me you didn't play 165 games in a single day. :stare:

(I want to say, if I remember correctly, that years ago there were a few times I did an all-day marathon during 5x weekends and played around 80 matches in a single day.)

Also, I'd be pretty mad if I played 165 games and only made 800k credits profit. :magical:

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 20, 2017

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Atomizer posted:

I've been playing for over 5 years straight and I can't remember anything ridiculous like 14v14 arty games. In fact, I think they added the 5-SPG cap with the tier 10 line extension.

Anyways, 5 SPGs per side isn't an acceptable limit; when you have a game called World of Tanks you shouldn't have to deal with 1/3 of the vehicles in a match being non-tanks (and that's not even counting the TDs.)

You don't remember 10 arty, 1 scouts, 4 heavies on Murovanka?
Those were the good times.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

The FV4005 is such a silly tank.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cardiac posted:

You don't remember 10 arty, 1 scouts, 4 heavies on Murovanka?
Those were the good times.

I got the 13 arti 2 ELC match on Sand River way back when. Fun as gently caress.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Even by WG standards the 252U is absurd.

The powercreep with these t8 premiums is just unbearable. I bitched about the IS-3A because it was basically a second IS-3 but then the M4 49, Patriot, and now the 252U make it look significantly behind the curve.

I don't even like playing my IS-6 much now that I've come back for a weekend because patriots are very common and they just shred it. At least WG is making is easier to quit again.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 20, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Most tier 8s are pretty trash against 9s and 10s anyway, but releasing a bunch of powercreeped premium 8s is Wargaming's preferred method to avoid the unthinkable and actually balance the game by making all MM simply +1/-1.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if balance was the priority they wouldn't be selling intentionally overpowered tanks for fifty bucks. free2win indeed.

also tight MM is for babies.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Prav posted:

if balance was the priority they wouldn't be selling intentionally overpowered tanks for fifty bucks. free2win indeed.

also tight MM is for babies.

Then you can call me king of the babies because I think tight MM is one of two ways WG could make this game pretty good.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Can I just take this moment to point out that the 183 HESH round is the god of chaos and destruction?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Please tell me you didn't play 165 games in a single day. :stare:

(I want to say, if I remember correctly, that years ago there were a few times I did an all-day marathon during 5x weekends and played around 80 matches in a single day.)

Also, I'd be pretty mad if I played 165 games and only made 800k credits profit. :magical:

Lord, no. I just didn't hit the reset button on my stats since I got the T-34-85. There's a few KV-5 and T-22 games in there as well for credits/crew XP, because I tend to fire absolutely stupid amounts of premium rounds while grinding up crews to 100% and their second skill, or unlock modules on a tank. Then I chill out when the tank and crew are essentially fully functional.

I also kept eyeballing my Mark of excellence progress, and the second mark for this drat tank seems to lie around 1500 average damage.

Yup, that's about 5000 WN8 on average for just the second mark of excellence :stare:

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Lord, no. I just didn't hit the reset button on my stats since I got the T-34-85. There's a few KV-5 and T-22 games in there as well for credits/crew XP, because I tend to fire absolutely stupid amounts of premium rounds while grinding up crews to 100% and their second skill, or unlock modules on a tank. Then I chill out when the tank and crew are essentially fully functional.

I also kept eyeballing my Mark of excellence progress, and the second mark for this drat tank seems to lie around 1500 average damage.

Yup, that's about 5000 WN8 on average for just the second mark of excellence :stare:

I don't remember the T-34-85 being that drat good. Did it get buffed?

As to the MM, I could handle the MM being +2/-2 if I didn't get up tiered quite as often in T7 and T8. Well that and my top tiers actually did things like: Not give up important areas of the map. Not losing with a 2:1 advantage. Not going to hunt arty when the ability to shoot the enemy from behind exists. Doing significantly more damage then the T8 tank.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Are there any other tanks with super oversized comedy cannons?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

KV-2

or, if for some bizarre reason you decide to switch from overgunned tanks that suck rear end to overgunned tanks that are great, the ISU-152

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I am allergic to russian tanks.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

HFX posted:

As to the MM, I could handle the MM being +2/-2 if I didn't get up tiered quite as often in T7 and T8. Well that and my top tiers actually did things like: Not give up important areas of the map. Not losing with a 2:1 advantage. Not going to hunt arty when the ability to shoot the enemy from behind exists. Doing significantly more damage then the T8 tank.

I have no idea whether it ever got buffed, I just remember grinding up to the T-54 from the KV-1S via the KV-13, and T-43. Back then, I vividly remember that - the second I had unlocked the T-43 - I regretted not having gone up the medium line, because while you don't carry over a lot of modules, you at least START with the top gun.

Yes, the tier 6 T-34-85 has the same top gun as the T-43, which gets dropped into tier 9 matches and has basically no armor worth mentioning.

The T-34-85 has a really decent gun, reasonable gun handling (aim time is a bit of a schlepp), and it has it on a good platform with mobility and camo. The T-43 essentially handles the same way, and I wish I'd had my T-34-85 experience back then, instead of coming up through the KV-13, but the gun is just lackluster for a tier 7 medium.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

HFX posted:

The T-34-85 have always been good (didn't play it with the old 100 mm), but it is a perfect mix of speed, alpha, penetration and decent armour (well, turret armour) for a tier6.
It is my tank with the highest number of medals for killing tier8 tanks.
The T-43 is basically the same tank and sees tier9s, which says something about the T-34-85.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Cardiac posted:

The T-34-85 have always been good (didn't play it with the old 100 mm), but it is a perfect mix of speed, alpha, penetration and decent armour (well, turret armour) for a tier6.
It is my tank with the highest number of medals for killing tier8 tanks.
The T-43 is basically the same tank and sees tier9s, which says something about the T-34-85.

Duzzy just pointed out to me that I am probably confusing the T-34-85 with the T-43. The T-43 has such great features as having both the ammo-rack and fuel tank on the front right of the tank. 2 for one chance to explode! I do feel the A-43 to A-44 is analogous to the T-34-85 to T-43 jump.

Just checked the patch notes, apparently they gave it the good 85MM a while back. Before that it had the anemic one and the 1D10T gun which you wanted because you fought T9 tanks with it.

I thought about buying it again this weekend since it was on sale, but figured why bother since I already have a Rudy and T-34-85M.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

The E100 TD gets like 1,050 alpha I think?

Also, so close to that T55A I can taste it. On TD15 and LT14. Medium and Heavy already completed with honors or w/e its called.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 20, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I remember the T-34-85 fondly, as it was the first tank I ever won one of the "big boy" medals with. The old Wittman's medal, namely. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
T-34-85 and Type 58 were such enjoyable tanks to play that I'm considering doing something dumb like buying the Rudy or T-34-85M if they pop up at a reasonable price at some point. Apparently the M kinda sucks, but perhaps the upcoming buffs will make it worthwhile.