Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

verbal enema posted:

Post screens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
To wile away the hours before M&M comes out, I've started a new game as the Merchant Republic of Socotra to see what sort of achievements I can get.
I imagine it's only a few decades until I get dogpiled by either Abyssinia or one of the muslim factions, but one election at a time.

My second Grand Mayor got things off to a great start by blowing up his father with manure. Ah, the classics.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

kingturnip posted:

To wile away the hours before M&M comes out, I've started a new game as the Merchant Republic of Socotra to see what sort of achievements I can get.
I imagine it's only a few decades until I get dogpiled by either Abyssinia or one of the muslim factions, but one election at a time.

My second Grand Mayor got things off to a great start by blowing up his father with manure. Ah, the classics.

Socotra is really easy to defend. The clown car will come knocking a few dozen times, but island invasions are super easy to repel.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Playing Ireland-led Britannia, how do I stop Viking invasions? They always seem to target my demesne 90% of the time, and I've got way too much threat (thanks to warring my way across Britain to form the aforementioned Empire) to invade my way across Western Europe to them.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Zero One posted:

There are no gods but Odin and Ragnar is his prophet.

Although the armies of Odin managed to capture a few holdings in the Nile delta, the Great Holy War for Egypt was decided in North Africa. The Muslims had tried to march their entire army directly to Gibraltar. The Sultan was planning to invade Europe through the strait and keep the battle in the Norse lands. He must have not heard of the Viking naval tradition. Twenty thousand viking warriors intercepted them in Tripoli with a longship invasion. His army crushed, the Sultan surrendered in exchange for his life.

Fylkir Erik the Just, King of All Men and Emperor of All Earth, stood at the foot of the Great Pyramid. He though of the ancient Pharaohs and Roman Kings who ruled this same land thousands of years ago. He thought of his ancestor Ragnarr Loðbrók who started from humble beginnings and his son Halfdan who founded the Hvitserk dynasty 400 years ago that now was the greatest family ever known. Then he thought... "What's next?".

To put a capstone on this story... I got the chess with death event for the first time ever.

It was pretty creepy especially because I didn't know it existed and I was also playing at 1am last night. Erik had Drunkard trait so I had a special action to try to get Death drunk. It seemed to work but then...

RIP Erik the Just

And look at all those kids (he had one more born after he died too)! The guy loved the ladies a bit too much.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

CommissarMega posted:

Playing Ireland-led Britannia, how do I stop Viking invasions? They always seem to target my demesne 90% of the time, and I've got way too much threat (thanks to warring my way across Britain to form the aforementioned Empire) to invade my way across Western Europe to them.

Wait for them to convert and die out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm playing as a Saxon empire of Germania. I am Fylkir and most of the Germanic world is within my lands with the exception of Croatia and Lombardy who are my allies and one lovely Icelandic county.

I still get hordes of raiders. Though these days almost all of them appear to be hosts which I think have different raiding rules than regular old Vikings.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Eh I don't mind raiders too much. Gives my retinues something to do during peace time and occasionally you can even capture somebody worth ransoming...or eating.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Hey, the cult framework is included in games even without the DLC, for modder use. That's sure as hell nice of Paradox.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Zero One posted:

To put a capstone on this story... I got the chess with death event for the first time ever.

It was pretty creepy especially because I didn't know it existed and I was also playing at 1am last night.

I got that event for the first time yesterday as well. I was pretty nervous because I'm playing a Republic and I hadn't put any money into the Election Fund.
I decided against trying to outdrink the anthropomorphic personification of mortality, won the game and even managed to get rid of Drunkard a couple of years later, because I guess beating Death probably would give you a new perspective on life.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

ShootaBoy posted:

DLC always breaks saves.

My pre-Conclave save worked just fine when I loaded it by accident post-Reaper's Due.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah DLC doesn't always break saves but at the same time it's generally safe advice to say "don't count on it not breaking your save".

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
In the anniversary stream they said it shouldn't break saves.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
The rule from what I understand is that updates only break saves when they add/remove territories from the map. Just changing the shape of some of the territories won't cause a problem.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

How does this even happen?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Goast posted:

My best guess is that at some point she was captured in a seige, was married to the Badshah, then subsequently inherited the HRE.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

My best guess is that at some point she was captured in a seige, was married to the Badshah, then subsequently inherited the HRE.

It's even funnier if the HRE is elective and you can imagine that somewhere, a group of vassals are sat around high-fiving each other at how much they've pissed off the old Emperor's sons.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Goast posted:

You can also use a favor to marry somebody of a different religious group.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

You can also use a favor to marry somebody of a different religious group.

Yeah but rulers and their current heirs are ineligible for that, so if that's what happened, she would have had to be farther down the line of succession.

I mean the craziest thing is that the AI did it. It's not too hard to engineer that sort of scenario as a player if you know how to set things up and can get the plot power for assassinations, but the AI generally doesn't scheme that deeply. So most likely it was some weird accident.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is it normal for my vassals to frequently ask me if they can give land to the Teutonic knights when I don't have a single Catholic vassal and in fact there are no Catholics west of the Black Sea?

I've even had the Jomsvikings suggest it.

Goast posted:

I hope this ends with one of their kids holding both titles. Especially if it means a invasion and a whole lot of kinslaying.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 20, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If I import a game with an immortal ruler into EU4, will they remain immortal? And if I export a game from, say, 1000 AD or thereabouts, will it start from that date in EU4 or will it somehow assume nothing's changed between that and EU4's default start date?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

CommissarMega posted:

If I import a game with an immortal ruler into EU4, will they remain immortal? And if I export a game from, say, 1000 AD or thereabouts, will it start from that date in EU4 or will it somehow assume nothing's changed between that and EU4's default start date?

It's been a while since I last checked up on the converter, but I believe that immortals convert over. And it'll start at 1444 and assume that Fomenko was right or something.

Edit: His name doesn't have an 'r' in it.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 20, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

catlord posted:

And it'll start at 1444 and assume that Formenko was right or something.

uuuuurgh

I'd rather play through my remaining 400 years than prove that lunatic right, even in a video game.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

catlord posted:

assume that Formenko was right or something.

I had to look that up and for some reason I started throwing things and screaming "gently caress YOU YOU loving MORON"

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

CommissarMega posted:

As of the patch that added personalities to rulers, they will (said patch added an 'Immortal' trait pretty much for this explicit reason), but if you want them to stay alive don't make them a general.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kilonum posted:

I had to look that up and for some reason I started throwing things and screaming "gently caress YOU YOU loving MORON"

I gather that's a common reaction.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
CK2 Generator is back under active development, with the creator working on a Monks & Mystics compatible version with added culture and religion crafting and map editing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN_ydzpe_KA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzG1EMc9y4M
For anyone not aware, this utility lets you create or randomly generate a map and then fill it with randomly generated cultures, religions, and titles.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

catlord posted:

It's been a while since I last checked up on the converter, but I believe that immortals convert over. And it'll start at 1444 and assume that Fomenko was right or something.

Edit: His name doesn't have an 'r' in it.

As a history major, reading about this was physically painful.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Haha, looks like it was all an elaborate attempt at trying to make Russia look like it wasn't steamrolled by the Mongols.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like that reading through the wikipedia article about him I hit this part:

quote:

Central to Fomenko's New Chronology is his claim of the existence of a vast Slav-Turk empire, which he called the "Russian Horde", which he says played the dominant role in Eurasian history before the 17th century.

And immediately think he would be right at home at the Paradox Plaza.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Skellybones posted:

Haha, looks like it was all an elaborate attempt at trying to make Russia look like it wasn't steamrolled by the Mongols.

quote:

"russia's not owned! russia's not owned!!", Fomenko continues to insist as he slowly shrinks and transforms into a kebab

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Is there a good mod for tweaking defensive pacts? I like the idea but in practice it just means if I want to have fun, I need to have short reigns and blob out briefly in the next ruler which feels gamey and very unsatisfying. But it's either that or waiting for 100 years for the counter to run out which is deadly boring. Maybe something like a relative 25% reduction on ruler change, so 100% would go down to 75% and 20% would go down to 15%. It keeps the threat of dynasty alive and forces you to focus on equivalently sized dogs but also doesn't freeze the game.

Some modder has probably come up with a better solution. Let me know. Otherwise, if there is another fun aspect to do during these times that'd be great. Inheritance adds threat so that isn't a solution really. That said, I don't really understand inheritance and it seems like a real PITA. Especially because I can never get alt-codes to work so everyone with anything other than standard characters is unsearchable. You can sometimes fake out later ones but if their name starts with a thorn or the vowel after the first consonant has an accent, game over on inheritance + murder game.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You do realize that you don't have to type the whole word for the search to work, right? Searching for "geni" will give you both people with the genius trait and anyone with a name like "Eugenia".

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Skellybones posted:

Lol Subutai dunked on them.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

McGavin posted:

You do realize that you don't have to type the whole word for the search to work, right? Searching for "geni" will give you both people with the genius trait and anyone with a name like "Eugenia".

Yeah but typing "orgo" won't make "Þorgoð" show up, much less "Þórgoð" where I just have "rgo" and that is useless. If odd characters tended to show up later that would be fine but that's not the case.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Dev Diary with some highlights from the 2.7. changelog.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah but typing "orgo" won't make "Þorgoð" show up, much less "Þórgoð" where I just have "rgo" and that is useless. If odd characters tended to show up later that would be fine but that's not the case.

Looks like that's been fixed in the upcoming patch.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

It's coming soon!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Shbobdb posted:

Is there a good mod for tweaking defensive pacts? I like the idea but in practice it just means if I want to have fun, I need to have short reigns and blob out briefly in the next ruler which feels gamey and very unsatisfying. But it's either that or waiting for 100 years for the counter to run out which is deadly boring. Maybe something like a relative 25% reduction on ruler change, so 100% would go down to 75% and 20% would go down to 15%. It keeps the threat of dynasty alive and forces you to focus on equivalently sized dogs but also doesn't freeze the game.

Some modder has probably come up with a better solution. Let me know. Otherwise, if there is another fun aspect to do during these times that'd be great. Inheritance adds threat so that isn't a solution really. That said, I don't really understand inheritance and it seems like a real PITA. Especially because I can never get alt-codes to work so everyone with anything other than standard characters is unsearchable. You can sometimes fake out later ones but if their name starts with a thorn or the vowel after the first consonant has an accent, game over on inheritance + murder game.

If you're playing a game that you just want to conquer the world and have fun, then just turn them off. There's a game rule for it.

Other than that, there are a bunch of defensive pact settings in defines.lua you can tweak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

Especially because I can never get alt-codes to work so everyone with anything other than standard characters is unsearchable. You can sometimes fake out later ones but if their name starts with a thorn or the vowel after the first consonant has an accent, game over on inheritance + murder game.

You're overthinking it.

• Locked thread