Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

ShineDog posted:

Travelling should be a feat, and more involved than hitting go ala Elite.

That should be because travelling by hitting go is super boring and there needs to be a game element to it. I've always thought in Elite hyperspace should have a moderate skill element to it, even if it's just dodging weird patches of hyperphysics during the loading animation. You could make it so you get less warning of upcoming weird things when you are travelling in systems no one has scanned recently.

It makes long expeditions fraught and interesting beyond "took a week to get to next system"
Source your quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:eyepop:

Reminds me of the old Tacoma Narrows Bridge (there is a short video clip on the Wikipedia page)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_Narrows_Bridge_(1940)

SelenicMartian posted:

What if all performance improvements open to CIG at this point are disabling proper error handling?

They have error handling now?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

intardnation posted:

Lets poo poo the thread up again shall we.

do the meltdown maga man

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ShineDog posted:

Travelling should be a feat, and more involved than hitting go ala Elite.

That should be because travelling by hitting go is super boring and there needs to be a game element to it. I've always thought in Elite hyperspace should have a moderate skill element to it, even if it's just dodging weird patches of hyperphysics during the loading animation. You could make it so you get less warning of upcoming weird things when you are travelling in systems no one has scanned recently.

It makes long expeditions fraught and interesting beyond "took a week to get to next system"

I know just what you need
https://i.imgur.com/ixOTILO.mp4

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
EXPECTED RESULT
Door should reliably open when a player approaches.
Chat works properly like any other chat.
Character movement and gameplay should be smooth, with no apparent frame drops or network lag.
The screen should have zoomed out when I stopped zooming.
I would expect that if I was aiming at my enemy and my aim was true, I would kill them, instead of myself.
The character should have been able to see the ladder and be able to choose to leave the ship.
Remain inside ship bounds, and be able to enter ship from EVA without falling through
The number of players on each team should be equal.
Star Marine weapons must has same damage level regardless of ping latency and also please add-up additional server for Asia region.
When you join from Asia region (ie, South Korea) to AU, you also feels little lag and sometimes little stutter and this is not an option for Star Marine FPS.
entire group stays on the same shard
Use the turret without the game crashing.
you should be able to exit turret seat or at least kill yourself.
Not to see weird floating objects
Player stays safely inside the Aurora
To bump into the ship interior without clipping.
Your gun just falls to the ground
all doors close!
I would expect to be able to use all gameplay aspects in the game.
I expect to not hear my dead body continue to fire across the map, and I expect my new noggin to not bob in conjunction with my old gun shooting.
I would expect to always have a working radar.
you should not be able to pass through the geometry of the ship
When weapon is holstered, animations should not emulate holding a weapon.
Player should not be able to clip through the railing.
I would expect to not become a human burrito when holstering my weapon. hah.
The Weapon attachments / magazines should stay on the weapon ;)
See the chat window
Bodies to despawn.
Warden spawns with engines and thrusters and responds to flight commands.
IT SHOULDNT CRASH AT ALL LIKE THIS FOR THIS BLOODY LONG
Turret should have HUD to assist in use of the turret.
In patch 2.5 i used to could exit seat and Freelancer, go into space and i don't recall violent spinning. There maybe was little spin, i'm not sure now, but definitely insignificant.
Medipen should work even in E.V.A .
Lovely meny music, nothing more.
Sable does not spin on exiting ship for EVA.
Fix framerate
Parts shouldn't appear in front of the cockpit.
The thing expected after spent all that time grinding and earning money, buying armors and clothes.... WAS to that progress would remain, after every patch.Cause now I wont play more until 3.0 or even Alpha, cause I am bored and don't have time to do everything again after each patch.In fact that problem looks like a reset in character every time a patch is installed
You would expect that any bind linked to any action is shown and modified in the keybindings editor. But it seems some are hardcoded, doesn't even appears anywhere, and cannot be modified.
Exit turret safely and remain inside the ship.
there obviously should not be people appearing to be stuck in your ship when they are elsewhere
missile warning system should stop playing after missile was destroyed.
Launcher should give accesss after typing in password
Expected screens and missiles to work.
Fire smoothly so I can keep the death rain on target.
plz fixed Aus Server
I hope that you find the problem and resolve it :). Keep up the good work guys !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MK3eMomdBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hcrQBUHjf0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6jVGB7vXIc

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Ghostlight posted:

I want travelling to be a major thing in game but also Elite Dangerous is bad because it's a "mile wide and one inch deep".

I want to just spend 10 minutes of trip downtime "planning", "talking to people" and "watching the stars go by out of the window", but Elite Dangerous is bad because supercruise is boring and empty.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5uxwfc/pc_gamer_weekender_qa_session_star_citizen_part_1/ddy6r8x/

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Ghostlight posted:

quod erat demonstrandum.

Whoa, you speak French!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

To be fair if you're going to be space mad (Travelling unknown regions aka exploring). I can see an optional skill based mode of FTL travel being interesting and a good mechanic. Keyword: optional.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

You have the best screengrabs / gifs.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

On refunds...

It's a coincidence!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Tank Boy Ken posted:

To be fair if you're going to be space mad (Travelling unknown regions aka exploring). I can see an optional skill based mode of FTL travel being interesting and a good mechanic. Keyword: optional.

Maybe you can roll multiple jumps into one with dropping and realigning if you can skim the star or something. gently caress deep space travel as it stands though. The only danger is fuel and the only interest is tapping j. Traveling to the center of the galaxy should be fraught with difficulty and weird sights and complications.

It's currently "make sure you have fuel or can get to a scoopable star with what you have."

I'm not suggesting for a second that hour long jumps are the way to go. Or anything SC does would never be right

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The correct way space travel was gameified was freelancer. There was tons of terrain everywhere instead of everything just being a huge void.

It's not realistic, but it was good.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Streetroller posted:

On refunds...

It's a coincidence!

No loving surprise that these wankers keep getting ripped off. And when the legal hammer comes down on CIG, these same clowns are either going to disappear or downplay it as usual. Morons.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Ghostlight posted:

quod erat demonstrandum.

True enough. but it could fun. really fun.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Streetroller posted:

On refunds...

It's a coincidence!

I love that he says "Well theres been no case in Europe". Because it had already been decided that they're purchases years ago.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Streetroller posted:

On refunds...

It's a coincidence!

Considering that the EU is one of the places that really stuck it to Steam and Valve regarding refunds I have strong suspicions that CIG would not find things in their favour either. But really the point where someone outs themselves as not understanding the basic concept of precedent in relation to court rulings is the point that they more or less devalue everything else they have to say in a matter.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Considering that the EU is one of the places that really stuck it to Steam and Valve regarding refunds I have strong suspicions that CIG would not find things in their favour either. But really the point where someone outs themselves as not understanding the basic concept of precedent in relation to court rulings is the point that they more or less devalue everything else they have to say in a matter.

Those were earlier rulings and the laws have been refactored since then.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Considering that the EU is one of the places that really stuck it to Steam and Valve regarding refunds I have strong suspicions that CIG would not find things in their favour either.

EU Consumer Rights Directive Factsheet

quote:

What about changing your mind and getting refunded?

• The period for consumers to pull out of any distance purchase (e.g. something bought online) or off-premises purchase (such as when a seller visits the consumer’s home) is extended from the previous minimum 7 days, to a uniform 14 days across the EU. These 14 days start counting from the day the consumer receives the goods, and the consumer has the right to cancel the purchase for any reason.

In the EU, the 14 day refund period extends up to 14 days after the last item in an order was delivered. So until something called SQ42 is delivered, everyone in the EU can claim a refund without even providing a reason. You would provide a reason though and you'd be polite because if the correspondence is later shared as part of a small claims court action to enforce the EU directive, it's going to make a bigger fuss when Eurogamer etc quotes the whole thing as a major story.

It's not even up for debate, CIG will refund in the EU if you force them to as there is no possibility of them not being forced to if they were crazy enough to let it come to court.

Also the donation argument doesn't even get off the ground in the EU as CIG charges VAT, because they have to on purchases.

AP fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 20, 2017

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

AP posted:

In the EU, the 14 day refund period extends up to 14 days after the last item in an order was delivered. So until something called SQ42 is delivered, everyone in the EU can claim a refund without even providing a reason. You would provide a reason though and you'd be polite because if the correspondence is later shared as part of a small claims court action to enforce the EU directive, it's going to make them a bigger fuss when Eurogamer etc quotes the whole thing as a major story.

It's not even up for debate, CIG will refund in the EU if you force them to as there is no possibility of them not being forced to if they were crazy enough to let it come to court.

Which is more or less how it goes in Australia too so they'd never get far there either.

But hey at least they have Asia, the known hot-bed of the Star Citizen fandom.

Decrepus posted:

Those were earlier rulings and the laws have been refactored since then.

I keep tripping on all these pipelines.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Which is more or less how it goes in Australia too so they'd never get far there either.

But hey at least they have Asia, the known hot-bed of the Star Citizen fandom.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Warning

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Raskolnikov posted:

You have the best screengrabs / gifs.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

That awkward moment when you realize the new language CIG has been developing in the pipeline is actually just some white guy shouting Ching Chong Wing Wong in his worst caricature Asian accent for 4 hours

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

He's like a cartoon character but real and 4 times as disgusting

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://i.imgur.com/P6wZZWO.gifv

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TEH KILRATHI!!!!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Klyith posted:

I never thought I'd say it but arfjason has a point. I don't agree with his definition of doxxing and I don't think that it's morally wrong to post a lot of the stuff that gets posted in this thread. But I do think it's bad content. Bad content should be discouraged, and people who endlessly spam bad content should get told to stop. Arf got repeat probations when he spammed the thread about doxxing. The guy that's spammed the thread with 15 pages of bad reddit screencaps should get the same. The guy who admitted to spamming shitizens on reddit should too.

Your essay didn't even mention cat posts. :colbert:

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 16, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

In the EU, the 14 day refund period extends up to 14 days after the last item in an order was delivered. So until something called SQ42 is delivered, everyone in the EU can claim a refund without even providing a reason. You would provide a reason though and you'd be polite because if the correspondence is later shared as part of a small claims court action to enforce the EU directive, it's going to make a bigger fuss when Eurogamer etc quotes the whole thing as a major story.

Also the donation argument doesn't even get off the ground in the EU as CIG charges VAT, because they have to on purchases.

The pledge is still a non-starter here in the US as a Washington Federal court already ruled that it has no crowd-funding protections if a project wasn't on a crowd-funded site. All that poo poo that Shitizens try to use in order to discourage refunds, is just bullshit. Ask MoMa - he knows.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

It's such a particularly American conceit. "Nuh-uh it's not been tried in court", "actually it's just two donations from separate legal persons that happen to coincide", "corporations cannot function when they're forced to 'answer to' their customers",

People living in the land of Comcast cannot fathom the idea that companies are out to gently caress you. It's puzzling

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Streetroller posted:

On refunds...

It's a coincidence!

If you have a system where $50 gets spaceship X, $100 gets spaceship Y and $150 gets spaceship Z the default assumption is it is a simple purchase system and subject to local customer laws. In any case the onus will be on CIG to prove that their system is 'pledges' and 'pledges' aren't purchases. I'd to see how CIG in court would try to explain away how a 'pledge' can go on sale.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Hail Stimperor!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

AP posted:

Yeah the other thing people are purposefully misled on in regards to refunds is that the claim that they delivered the product (Via Alpha stage).
The law is for a finished product. Alpha/Beta is not a finished product.
Until the day they go "Live" with a finished product you still can get a refund since even in the US your 14 days have not started yet.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

kilus aof posted:

If you have a system where $50 gets spaceship X, $100 gets spaceship Y and $150 gets spaceship Z the default assumption is it is a simple purchase system and subject to local customer laws. In any case the onus will be on CIG to prove that their system is 'pledges' and 'pledges' aren't purchases. I'd to see how CIG in court would try to explain away how a 'pledge' can go on sale.

…not to mention that a “pledge”, in a money transaction sense, would work the opposite way.

A pledge is what you give to someone to secure a loan — it's what you give to the pawn shop in exchange for money, with the understanding that you'll pay them back in order to regain posession of the pledge. Since CIG is getting the money in this case, the pledge would be whatever they gave the backers in exchange for this loan. And it is a loan, which means it has to be repaid or the backers will have full ownership of the pledge in question and be allowed to sell it to recoup the money lost.

So if CIG goes to a court and tries the argument, “no, no, it's a pledge not a purchase”, then the immediate answer would be “ok, so how much is the guy owed including interest rate, and why aren't you repaying him when he asks you to?” Alternatively “ok, so what's the actual pledge here — what did you give to backer X?” Declaring themselves insolvent, or declaring that they defrauded the backer by not providing any actual pledge in front of a judge would probably not be the best way of trying to get out of a refund…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 20, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

in front of a judge

I'd like to hear Tarkaroshe's cross-examination

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tippis posted:

…not to mention that a “pledge”, in a money transaction sense, would work the opposite way.

A pledge is what you give to someone to secure a loan — it's what you give to the pawn shop in exchange for money, with the understanding that you'll pay them back in order to regain posession of the pledge. Since CIG is getting the money in this case, the pledge would be whatever they gave the backers in exchange for this loan. And it is a loan, which means it has to be repaid or the backers will have full ownership of the pledge in question and be allowed to sell it to recoup the money lost.

So if CIG goes to a court and tries the argument, “no, no, it's a pledge not a purchase”, then the immediate answer would be “ok, so how much is the guy owed including interest rate, and why aren't you repaying him when he asks you to?” Alternatively “ok, so what's the actual pledge here — what did you give to backer X?” Declaring themselves insolvent, or declaring that they defrauded the backer by not providing any actual pledge in front of a judge would probably not be the best way of trying to get out of a refund…

Pretty sure that the sense of "pledge" as "promised donation to an organization" is the one that would be relevant. "I pledged $1,000 to my church's annual fund drive" and so on. Now, I think they'd utterly fail to show that money given to Star Citizen was a pledge in that sense, especially given the precedent to date, but it has nothing to do with pawn shops.

The point of a charitable pledge is that the pledger expects nothing in return. It is ridiculous for Crobblers and crew to try to argue that buying jpgs is a charitable pledge.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 20, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'd like to hear Tarkaroshe's cross-examination

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

AlbieQuirky posted:

Pretty sure that the sense of "pledge" as "promised donation to an organization" is the one that would be relevant. "I pledged $1,000 to my church's annual fund drive" and so on. Now, I think they'd utterly fail to show that money given to Star Citizen was a pledge in that sense, especially given the precedent to date, but it has nothing to do with pawn shops.

The point of a charitable pledge is that the pledger expects nothing in return. It is ridiculous for Crobblers and crew to try to argue that buying jpgs is a charitable pledge.

CIG also isn't legally classified as a charitable organization like a church or one of those groups that gives food to starving kids. Thus, they probably can't even accept donations. And furthermore, where's my IRS paperwork showing the tax deduction for this so-called donation?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Chin posted:

"It's a huge game, uh, so, you just don't find -- probably half of the bugs, eh, if we didn't -- if the pair of us didn't watch, ehm, Twitch as much as we do, ha ha, yeah, we'd probably miss about half of the bugs."

Twitch streamers are the only ones playing and apparently they're not filing a lot of bug reports.

And the PU is a "huge game"? It's like one thousandth of what SC is meant to be at launch. Or even tinier considering the city and NPC routine simulation they've promised.

the very first question

quote:

"So a lot of the design for the cargo system is like what is fun about shipping? its not getting shot so i want ways to evade people coming at me. i want to find a way that if i am gonna get shot, if im going to go through some dangerous space, because sometimes thats the best way to make money in star citizen, is to goto the dangerous planet, goto the sketchy part of town, ehm, is to give the player a way of well like , 'ehm i cant have too many guns on the ship, so can i hire someone to come and protect me. if i can do that, then theyre gonna bring more men. i need a tough crew, i need to do this'

Apparently planetary landings and fully simulated economy is already in SC. At least, thats the impression this answer gives to the entire audience of people who may never have played star citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I'll never get over being shamed by /r/dereksmart, penthouse of the ivory tower :smith: