Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Speaking of, I want to see that Britney Spears Lifetime movie that just came out.

That trailer looked like some Cyber Seduction level nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It doesn't look that good but I'm always down for one of those deals that's 100% about famous incidents in a celebrity's life but they can't depict any of them because everything is copyrighted.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I finally saw Split today. Y'all lied. Samuel L Jackson is in it. Kinda. Only in name. But his presences was felt. Anyway it was a good movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It doesn't look that good but I'm always down for one of those deals that's 100% about famous incidents in a celebrity's life but they can't depict any of them because everything is copyrighted.

Of all the things they were able to do they somehow had the rights to "Satisfaction" to depict her legendary VMA performance. Which, in the movie, looked like they were in a stage and auditorium about as big as your average boardroom.

Also, I couldn't tell if everyone looked terrible because it was a Lifetime movie or because they nailed the actual terribleness of the fashions back then.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Criminal Minded posted:

This can't possibly be the best way of going about things, can it?

The trouble is that the very best Pinball machines just have so much going on it's insane and all of it is actual physical poo poo that does not necessarily work like the other stuff in there. I mean that poo poo literally uses magnets right next to other electronics and has to be put together in such a way that the magnets only gently caress with the ball and in very precise ways along with moving ramps that need to deposit the ball in basically the same place every time along with a maddening amount of springs, levers and just pretty much every other type of electronic imaginable that all have to work to together well enough that the player keeps wanting to play. I think yes that is the only way they can really go about it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Here's my monster.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 20, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That looks really cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hey thanks! I got it to move a little bit in another shot, and it does actually kinda look weird.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Don't ruin the magic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You know what, you're right.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Are you going for a Brocken spectre kinda deal, because if so, hell yeah,

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Krazyface posted:

Atlanta's slow so far, but it still seems pretty good.

I really liked it ! V good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sort of! I just wanted something weird for 2 frames that comes out of nowhere, and that seemed to look kinda neat.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jenny Angel posted:

Are you going for a Brocken spectre kinda deal, because if so, hell yeah,

I did not know there was a name for that, cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My biggest inspiration is that incredibly freaky first alien in Close Encounters.

I would've shot at it for being so terrifying.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Criminal Minded posted:

This can't possibly be the best way of going about things, can it?

I mean, this is what's on top:

Modern machines are a little more streamlined but you're still dealing with a lot of physical machinery that has to be hit by a heavy metal ball going really fast.

CelticPredator posted:

Here's my monster.

I wanna see this in gif form.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

DeimosRising posted:

I did not know there was a name for that, cool.

Neither did I before I sought out the wisest of teachers... anime

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

here's some more. And that's all i'll share until I finish it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CelticPredator posted:

here's some more. And that's all i'll share until I finish it.

This is rad!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
If you want to know a little more about pinball then I highly recommend the documentary TILT: The Battle to Save Pinball. The movie itself is on iTunes and is pretty good for what's basically a 60 minute, one man rookie production focusing on the story of how the team at Williams pushed a last-ditch technological gimmick that was pretty cool in order to keep pinball alive, and then Williams immediately pulled the original Konami on 'em. However, I STRONGLY suggest getting the DVD if you're very curious, because it is absolutely loaded with extras, including extended interview footage, footage of rare tables and prototypes, the pinball factory itself... it's nuts. The current little resurgence was still a ways off when this first came out, so it's also a little bit of a time capsule of the decade or so where pinball barely existed.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah that stretch from like, 2000 to 2010 was really dire.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

that sounds extremely dope

Seriously out of this gigantic place full of all these fun games that was the thing I was most excited about. It's so loving weird that it even exists. You can also bang on the table before you flip it to startle the characters and get more points. That arcade is a great place to go if you like weird Japanese poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Make Dickstream great again!

You do stuff good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

It totally is, they just haven't updated the website since 2014 and won't be doing any choice double features during Oscar month.

But they're beginning again strong in March with Belladonna of Sadness followed by Fantastic Planet.

Holy gently caress

Let this be everyone's reminder to watch Belladonna of Sadness if y'all haven't, movie loving owns

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah that stretch from like, 2000 to 2010 was really dire.

You would see a Shrek, a Family Guy, or one random old table in disrepair. Maybe Sopranos and South Park or one of the other Sterns.

Now at there are a few more Sterns and people getting machines in working shape and putting them out there.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lurdiak posted:

I'm having so much trouble making myself finish watching Hannibal season 3. Every character's so weird and off-kilter with shady and shiftable motivations that I don't care what happens to any of them. Show shoulda just stayed a procedural.

The wrongest opinion. The procedural stuff was just edgy CSI/Numbers/Law & Order rubbish. The show's descent into immersing itself in pure visuals while presenting its story like someone regaling his fever dream version of the books is what makes the show an unforgettable ride and probably the most strangely organic show run I've ever seen.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
I watched a cure for wellness today and was totally blown away. It's not for everyone (i.e. if you're prone to asking why they're still filming when watching a found footage movie, you probably won't like this), but it's an incredible piece of film. It's a rollercoaster ride with beautiful cinematography/a great score, an incredibly earnest political message, and real skill in the way it plays with/synthesizes some well trodden narratives, which is basically all I want from a movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

And just like that, the IMDB message boards are gone. I think the site loads faster now.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm going to frame this screencap and just hang it on my eventual living room, or one of the walls of my small bedroom apartment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The wrongest opinion. The procedural stuff was just edgy CSI/Numbers/Law & Order rubbish. The show's descent into immersing itself in pure visuals while presenting its story like someone regaling his fever dream version of the books is what makes the show an unforgettable ride and probably the most strangely organic show run I've ever seen.

The writing isn't nearly strong enough for the show to do what it sets out to. At leat when it was artsy CSI it wasn't punching above its weight class.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Honest Thief posted:

I'm going to frame this screencap and just hang it on my eventual living room, or one of the walls of my small bedroom apartment.

So much for the tolerant left!!!!!!!!!

(Nigel Farage is the slimiest porridge-condom)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lurdiak posted:

The writing isn't nearly strong enough for the show to do what it sets out to. At leat when it was artsy CSI it wasn't punching above its weight class.

The show made the writing inconsequential.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

broken sm57 posted:

I watched a cure for wellness today and was totally blown away. It's not for everyone (i.e. if you're prone to asking why they're still filming when watching a found footage movie, you probably won't like this), but it's an incredible piece of film. It's a rollercoaster ride with beautiful cinematography/a great score, an incredibly earnest political message, and real skill in the way it plays with/synthesizes some well trodden narratives, which is basically all I want from a movie.

I heard the ending was garbage.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The show made the writing inconsequential.

That's one way of saying the writing was bad.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So, I've had a job opportunity come up at my old high school, for the director of communications position. It entails writing a biannual magazine, donor drive materials, and basically all outgoing mass communications. I'm totally equipped for the job, but it'd be my first professional gig ever, so kore experienced candidates will probably be in the applicant pool.

They want three professional references. I'm going to cheat on one and go with my research advisor from school, but do you folks think it's a good plan to ask my acting supervisor for a rec? I work in a call center currently, I've been there for 7 months now, but there isn't super high turnover and it's in the medical industry so there is a not insignificant amount of industry knowledge you have to build up over time. They consider the first 6 months as "training".

It's not like I'm beholden to then or like I'd pass up a shot at a real job for this call center, I'm just wondering if I'm setting myself up for hardship by asking my supervisor for a reference. I'm currently #1 in my department on all metrics, I've never called out to work, etc. She knows I'm a great employee, and I think she'd be supportive of my pursuing better opportunities more suited to my skills, but there is a possibility that she could resent my planning to leave. I don't care about retaliation or anything- if I got fired I wouldn't care all that much, frankly- I'd just hate to get a bad reference from something like that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
https://twitter.com/BonafideBlack/status/833709665410117632

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

Neurophage posted:

I heard the ending was garbage.

I'm curious what you heard was garbage about it. I loved the ending. It was fun as hell, and more clever than people are giving it credit for. Hard to talk about about it without spoilers though.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Oh hell yeah.

One great thing about Shane Black is that he's really good at directing kids, so the fact that there's a little kid in the main cast for a Predator movie isn't even cause for concern.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's one way of saying the writing was bad.

Yeah, but I'm not saying that. At worst it was purely in service of visuals.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Exciting to see right-wingers excusing molesting kids because Milo Yiannopoulos says it's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah, but I'm not saying that. At worst it was purely in service of visuals.

I hunk multiple seasons of television with at best serviceable writing purely in service of visuals is kind of a misuse of the serial format, but then I couldn't even make it through the first season of Hannibal because that poo poo was awful.

• Locked thread