Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just give him a quick elbow and a push and he'd be over that railing.

Would also clean the harbour with all the bicarb he's put up his nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Jippa posted:

I saw some builders with make america great again red trump caps on their dashboard this morning. I didn't realise this was a thing in the UK? Am I completely out of touch?

I would think a fair few Brits admire Trump, yes. Not quite Che but still.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

jabby posted:

Yeah, Farage was good but the reason he was so popular was because he served a useful purpose. He was the mouthpiece Rupert Murdoch and the other media elites chose to spread the message they wanted. Now that the Tories are going full brexit UKIP doesn't enjoy the same kind of media protection. I mean they aren't hammered like Labour, but neither are negative stories about them buried either.

Murdoch backs winning horses but he doesn’t breed them; Dacre is the one feeding that particular fire and the only thing Farage is a mouthpiece for is his own colon.

The attacks on Paul Nuttall have all the hallmarks of the parliamentary research unit or whatever they call the mudslinging part of CRD now. Journalists don’t stumble across letters to regional newspapers from 2010 by accident they get put onto to them by people who have big folders full of clippings saved up for a rainy day.

I’d guess that CCHQ has gamed the best possible outcome as a Lab victory over UKIP in Stoke and a narrow win/defeat for the Tories in Copeland and has deployed their resources appropriately; keep Dear Leader on life-support until the GE while putting the boot very firmly into UKIP before it can redefine itself after the Brexit vote.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rustybear posted:

Murdoch backs winning horses but he doesn’t breed them; Dacre is the one feeding that particular fire and the only thing Farage is a mouthpiece for is his own colon.

The attacks on Paul Nuttall have all the hallmarks of the parliamentary research unit or whatever they call the mudslinging part of CRD now. Journalists don’t stumble across letters to regional newspapers from 2010 by accident they get put onto to them by people who have big folders full of clippings saved up for a rainy day.

I’d guess that CCHQ has gamed the best possible outcome as a Lab victory over UKIP in Stoke and a narrow win/defeat for the Tories in Copeland and has deployed their resources appropriately; keep Dear Leader on life-support until the GE while putting the boot very firmly into UKIP before it can redefine itself after the Brexit vote.

Can we gently caress off with this?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Why on earth would the Tories want to keep Corbyn in the labour leadership job?

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/833673641548271616

Oh. I get it.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 20, 2017

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Pissflaps posted:

gently caress off with what, exactly?

Referring to Jeremy Corbyn as a well-liked leader I think? It's hard to parse though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The "incredibly clever" North Korea comparison.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rustybear posted:

Referring to Jeremy Corbyn as a well-liked leader I think? It's hard to parse though.

Yeah I missed the bold bit because the whole post was quoted. I assumed it was the usual mewling about the bad man posting something they don't like.

Also:

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/833674117413031937

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah I missed the bold bit because the whole post was quoted.

Sorry, I'll keep my posts short and simple so you can understand:

gently caress off.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah the PMs are still pathetic cheers.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Here's some bullshit from the BBC. They're so loving terrified of being labelled as biased that they're giving even-handed reporting to literal Nazis.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Rustybear posted:

I thought that they were referring to May, why would CCHQ keep Corbyn on life support?

Either way it's not a particularly clever epithet.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

big scary monsters posted:

I thought that they were referring to May, why would CCHQ keep Corbyn on life support?

Because the Tories are 18 (eighteen) points ahead of labour in the latest opinion poll.

He is doing their job for them. He guarantees a Tory election win while he is in post and is helping murder the Labour Party.

That's why.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dabir posted:

post them

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

I'm so jealous of people with Platinum.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Dabir posted:

what pms

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Sion posted:

what pms

Something Awful has had a rule forever where, rather than two posters having a squabble in a thread, they should either 'use the ignore list or take it to pms'.

I'm a firm believer in this rule, and I never send anything by PM that I wouldn't say in public - providing it was on topic.

Also:

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 20, 2017

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
PM'd by D&D posters...a fate worse than death...

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
smash mouth post the pms

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Post em. You know you wanna.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If I got a pm from Pissflaps I think I would want to preserve it in mint condition by leaving it pristine and unread forever.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Safe to say there's literally nothing interesting in them.

I take it that letter to Some Guy MP is basically just some sort of formality?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah I missed the bold bit because the whole post was quoted. I assumed it was the usual mewling about the bad man posting something they don't like.

Also:

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/833674117413031937

Oh don't team up you smarmy cunts. Don't become completely intolerable.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

If I got a pm from Pissflaps I think I would want to preserve it in mint condition by leaving it pristine and unread forever.

That's what I tend to do, if by 'leaving it pristine' you mean 'delete.'

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Well it lays out Labour's article 50 capitulation in black and white and manages to make Owen Smith a rebel and a man of principle.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Dabir posted:

Oooh. Handbags

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dabir posted:

Post it. I want to see how creepy it is.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
If some of the PMs I used to get from Fluo are anything to go by they're probably dull as gently caress

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Rip Fluo you loved making beer and telling people about how you loved making beer.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Apparently Irish politics is sort of blowing up: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/20/ireland-pm-enda-kenny-fine-gael-expected-resign-police-scandal

quote:

Enda Kenny is expected to step down as prime minister of Ireland next month after severe criticism of his handling of a crisis in the Irish police force.
Kenny, who last year became the first Fine Gael leader to win a second term as prime minister, will outline his plans at a party meeting in Dublin on Wednesday.
A spokesman declined to comment on the agenda or possible outcome of the meeting, but party sources indicated that Kenny would move aside after his visit to Donald Trump at the White House to mark St Patrick’s Day on 17 March.
The policing controversy centres on unfounded allegations made against a police whistleblower and claims that he was smeared by senior figures in government.
Sgt Maurice McCabe has raised serious charges of corruption, namely that officers failed to prosecute influential people charged with offences including traffic violations. McCabe’s allegations suggested that “friends in high places” in the Republic were being “let off” traffic offences.
Brung low by speeding tickets and parking infractions, RIP.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Rustybear posted:

I don't think anyone expects Corbyn to resign regardless of the results of these by-elections. The Tories might indeed want Corbyn to continue as leader (although I doubt it) but it's a bit fanciful to imagine they are playing some puppet master game with Stoke when he isn't going anywhere regardless.

If the government is indeed leaking this stuff about Nuttall it's probably because an awful lot of their poll boost came from UKIPs serious decline and it benefits them directly to try and destroy them as a party and subsume their voters.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pissflaps posted:

Something Awful has had a rule forever where, rather than two posters having a squabble in a thread, they should either 'use the ignore list or take it to pms'.

I'm a firm believer in this rule, and I never send anything by PM that I wouldn't say in public - providing it was on topic.

Also:

Are the abstains votes they were whipped to abstain on, or votes they didn't whip on?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Fangz posted:

Are the abstains votes they were whipped to abstain on, or votes they didn't whip on?
The former.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Fangz posted:

The abstains were votes they were whipped to abstain on. Eg SNP amendments which said things Labour didn't exactly disagree with but came from the SNP and therefore must be bad in some way.

For example, NC 143 required the Chancellor to publish "an assessment of the financial liability of the UK towards the EU following the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the EuropeanUnion, and" to make "a statement to the House of Commons on the economic impact of the United Kingdom leaving the single market.”

Labour also abstained on the programme motion, ie the vote to say the debate on the amendments (Committee stage) was limited to just three days. Not sure why they did that.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

jabby posted:

I don't think anyone expects Corbyn to resign regardless of the results of these by-elections. The Tories might indeed want Corbyn to continue as leader (although I doubt it) but it's a bit fanciful to imagine they are playing some puppet master game with Stoke when he isn't going anywhere regardless.

If the government is indeed leaking this stuff about Nuttall it's probably because an awful lot of their poll boost came from UKIPs serious decline and it benefits them directly to try and destroy them as a party and subsume their voters.

I don't think it's that fanciful to suggest the tory party might be playing politics with the outcome of a by-election.

Why would they not want to keep Corbyn in place?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Rustybear posted:

I don't think it's that fanciful to suggest the tory party might be playing politics with the outcome of a by-election.

Why would they not want to keep Corbyn in place?

If Corbyns own party can't get him to resign its strange to assume the Tory party has even greater influence over him. He's not going anywhere regardless of the result in Stoke.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah he's taking the whole party down with him.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think the PLP did itself a mischief trying to take down Corbyn repeatedly instead of getting behind him.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That's a result of his failings and unpopularity, not the cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

This makes me unreasonably angry, and you see it on basically any large housing development in London. No mention of what an interesting place it is to live, whether there's nice views, local shops, or even a picture of the loving develoopment. The fact it's almost directly opposite the Freedom Press and on the site of the first skirmishes of the Battle of Cable Street makes it feel like I'm being teabagged though.

• Locked thread