Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leviathan Song posted:

I bought a house for exactly that about 6 months ago. It's missing 60% of the floors, most of the plumbing, has no AC or heat, the foundation is in bad shape, and up until I fixed it one of the walls was falling off of the house and taking the roof with it. So...a house that is about 50% intact, optimistically.

So did you just need a place to make meth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leviathan Song posted:

I bought a house for exactly that about 6 months ago. It's missing 60% of the floors, most of the plumbing, has no AC or heat, the foundation is in bad shape, and up until I fixed it one of the walls was falling off of the house and taking the roof with it. So...a house that is about 50% intact, optimistically.

Good luck finding the scoundrel who stole your floors

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Leviathan Song posted:

In Australia, such a house anywhere near our cities would cost at least $150K.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Sic Semper Goon posted:

In Australia, such a house anywhere near our cities would cost at least $150K.
The cheapest house in Australia costs $588,888.88

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

cowofwar posted:

The cheapest house in Australia costs $588,888.88

Give it a month, and your words will probably be accurate.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
That one's only at a discount because it overlooks a cemetery and is between a hospice and a hospital.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Cemetery houses are the best houses, they will never redevelop that poo poo into some glass and steel monstrosity.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Cemetery houses are the best houses, they will never redevelop that poo poo into some glass and steel monstrosity.

Never say never friend, land in some places can and has gotten expensive enough for bodies to be dug up and moved.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

Never say never friend, land in some places can and has gotten expensive enough for bodies to be dug up and moved.

Psh this isn't a valid action in Sim City 4 I think you're lying :colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

Not to mention a beautiful lawn that you don't have to keep up yourself and all the necrophilia you could ever want!

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Ashcans posted:

So did you just need a place to make meth?

One of the attractive features is that it was not a former meth lab!. It is actually the house right next door to mine and I wanted it fixed up right and rented out to someone not lovely. I was pretty worried that we'd get a meth lab or drug dealers or the like for neighbors since it was in bad enough shape not to even attract flippers. Worst case scenario, my dog has a really big yard now and I have a weight room/storage shed/endless project.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Smeg-U-Later is a product that exists that cleans horse dicks, thanks thread

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Leviathan Song posted:

One of the attractive features is that it was not a former meth lab!. It is actually the house right next door to mine and I wanted it fixed up right and rented out to someone not lovely. I was pretty worried that we'd get a meth lab or drug dealers or the like for neighbors since it was in bad enough shape not to even attract flippers. Worst case scenario, my dog has a really big yard now and I have a weight room/storage shed/endless project.

Turn it into a club house! Just a place to hang out in and drink with your friends. A place you'll never have to clean or maintain or worry about who is stealing your floors!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Switchback posted:

Smeg-U-Later is a product that exists that cleans horse dicks, thanks thread

Just think, there's a line of expensive-rear end designer fridges with the word S M E G across the front of them. I will forever mentally pronounce the fridge as Smegma when I see one at West Elm.

e: MA

e2: Holy cow! that little piece of poo poo is $1000

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 19, 2017

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

BloodBag posted:

Just think, there's a line of expensive-rear end designer fridges with the word S M E G across the front of them. I will forever mentally pronounce the fridge as Smegma when I see one at West Elm.

e: MA

e2: Holy cow! that little piece of poo poo is $1000

I've seen those and again wondered why these companies don't employ the services of an 11 year old to see if their names or slogans are obvious dirty jokes or references.

Child labour laws, I guess.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

olylifter posted:

I've seen those and again wondered why these companies don't employ the services of an 11 year old to see if their names or slogans are obvious dirty jokes or references.

Seems like a great market to ~disrupt~ with an app

Call it Profaner or Cussly or something

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Heck you won't even need to disrupt anything, we can just do it in public schools when DeVos gets her way in a little while here.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I miss the disruptive company that wanted to mail you quarters for you to use in laundry and vending machines. Of course the previous administration was too stifling of the small businessman for it to work, but now...

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I don't think I got around to posting this one here. Property investor's house going in a mortgagee sale. Have a look at those statues, the photos are the best part.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-for-sale/auction-1252827847.htm

On another site someone pulled up 7 companies registered to the address apparently for property investment. So they've most likely invested for capital gain and have now lost everything, when NZ has record low interest rates.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

What a lovely house. Anyone know what's with that giant tank in the back?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The architect and interior designer should be put on trial for that travesty of a home.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The giant tank is water storage, potentially it may use rainwater for non-drinkable use.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Why does this service to sell extra luggage space for you plane flight to a courier seem like the worst idea ever?

Airmule Pays You to Let TSA-Certified Shippers Use Your Luggage Space

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This has sort of been the case for some time. You can (used to be able to?) get seats cheap because FedEx or similar needed the luggage allowance. So as long as you just needed carry on, you could get great trans-oceanic deals. Source: my aunt used to do it all the time to visit Asia.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

This has sort of been the case for some time. You can (used to be able to?) get seats cheap because FedEx or similar needed the luggage allowance. So as long as you just needed carry on, you could get great trans-oceanic deals. Source: my aunt used to do it all the time to visit Asia.

How did your aunt find these opportunities? Airmule gave me some 404s when I tried to investigate their site.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I don't think the worthwhile opportunities are through airmule, which sounds like a terrible idea.

"No Mr. CBP officer, the cocaine hidden inside bags of coffee beans aren't mine, they were given to me to carry across the border!"

Edit: What's required to be a TSA certified company?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mantle posted:

How did your aunt find these opportunities? Airmule gave me some 404s when I tried to investigate their site.

I'll ask, last I heard about it was 10 years ago or so.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

Why does this service to sell extra luggage space for you plane flight to a courier seem like the worst idea ever?

Because even though you can make a decent amount of cash, you're taking on a lot of liability with little to no employee protections. It's the gig economy!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ohgodwhat posted:

Edit: What's required to be a TSA certified company?

All of your locks must be unlockable by TSAs master key

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NancyPants posted:

Because even though you can make a decent amount of cash, you're taking on a lot of liability with little to no employee protections. It's the gig economy!

It sounds like you're taking on almost no liability, just some hassle if you're checking bags for them. It certainly would pay for the airline specific credit cards that net you free checked bags but cost several hundred a year. I would do this to help pay for trips.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

SpelledBackwards posted:

I like how the name of the company references drug smuggling

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

H110Hawk posted:

It sounds like you're taking on almost no liability, just some hassle if you're checking bags for them. It certainly would pay for the airline specific credit cards that net you free checked bags but cost several hundred a year. I would do this to help pay for trips.

You're taking on a ton of liability because it's being shipped in YOUR bag. You book a flight from LAX to Beijing. You have some extra space in your bag so you end up with a hard drive. No big deal, right? You land in Beijing and customs demands to see the contents of the hard drive. Whoops, the hard drive contains writings dissidents are trying to smuggle into the country. You tell customs you had no idea what was on the drive. Do you want to bet your freedom on them believing you?

Remember, you don't work for FedEx or some major shipping company who is going to go to bat for you in sorting out this mess. You're a college kid going on spring break who wanted an extra $150 and was caught smuggling something bad in a foreign country. There's a reason why "some guy comes up to you and asks you to deliver a package for money" is a giant red flag when traveling.

Cartels don't care if the mule gets caught because the mule is expendable. What are you worth to Airmule? The dollar you paid them for the processing fee.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

GamingHyena posted:

You're taking on a ton of liability because it's being shipped in YOUR bag. You book a flight from LAX to Beijing. You have some extra space in your bag so you end up with a hard drive. No big deal, right? You land in Beijing and customs demands to see the contents of the hard drive. Whoops, the hard drive contains writings dissidents are trying to smuggle into the country. You tell customs you had no idea what was on the drive. Do you want to bet your freedom on them believing you?

Remember, you don't work for FedEx or some major shipping company who is going to go to bat for you in sorting out this mess. You're a college kid going on spring break who wanted an extra $150 and was caught smuggling something bad in a foreign country.

Cartels don't care if the mule gets caught because the mule is expendable. What are you worth to Airmule? The dollar you paid them for the processing fee.

This is *literally* the plot of Midnight Express.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BigDave posted:

This is *literally* the plot of Midnight Express.

Billy, have you ever been in a Turkish Prison? :aatrek:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

olylifter posted:

It took me 5 minutes today to get my 7th graders to calm down after I needed to explain what a sextant was.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GoutPatrol posted:

It took me 5 minutes today to get my 7th graders to calm down after I needed to explain what a sextant was.

:3: kids.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Even if are aren't hauling contraband, it seems like you could easily get hosed at customs - that stuff you're moving isn't personal use or gifts, it's commercial goods. Wouldn't you get stuck paying any dues or hoping they gave you the right forms for import?

Why would any legitimate company use this over a professional courier like DHL unless they were trying to cut corners?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
What about using inheritance money to buy another house because your wife has a penchant for buying crap and has filled the old one?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809188&userid=107498

IoT posted:

As the spouse of a hoarder I can tell you that the prognosis is not good. Hoarding is the symptom of an underlying problem or traumatic incident(s). I am pretty confident I know what what triggered my wife's hoarding and sadly it's gotten worse over time. I can say that the absolute worst thing you can do is to ride roughshod over the wishes of the hoarder. The symptom will remain until the hoarder is willing to face up to the problem and is willing to try and work their way through resolving underlying issues.

Me and the kids were lucky enough to think of creative solutions to at least work around the problem. What was really a godsend was that, through an inheritance, I was able to purchase another house nearby; which we actually live in. Wife has no key and all post to that address goes to a PO Box. So essentially we use a £400k house as storage :(

IoT posted:

Nope. Love the wife, hate the hoarding. She lives in the 'new' house with me and the kids when they are back from school. The 'rule' is no 'new' stuff/junk/crap into the 'new' house without agreement from the both of us. She can put whatever crap she wants in the old house (which is slowly falling apart due to the difficulty in doing regular maintenance). A couple of times I've enforced this by moving crap from the 'new' to 'old' house. (She is of course an adult, so really she can do what she wants without my say so - but has grudgingly agreed to this rule in order to stabilise our quality of life.

One thing that really surprised me was that eventually you can get used to anything. It used to bug me a poo poo-ton but as time goes on I've got used to situation and I can pretty much shrug it off as a 'quirk'.

It helps that my wife manages to be organised and functional in her work life and that she is not a dirty hoarder. She buys and hoards new stuff and most of it has never even been unwrapped. It also helps that my wife is a very nice person to be around and except for a tiny dose of OCD doesn't appear to suffer from other horrible PDs.

IoT posted:

I won't deny it that our situation is fairly extreme and is definitely a first world problem. We are both professionals, we got lucky that we purchased our first house before the great London real estate bubble took off and then following the price explosion I inherited a property that funded the purchase of a second house. Other than that we are reasonably frugal. The poo poo my wife buys is cheap Chinese manufactured crap. We drive cheap to run sub compacts that are both > 5 years old. My wife's purchases don't even wipe out her discretionary spending. The biggest waste is the approximate £16k per year we could earn from renting out one of the houses but even that is wiped out from the capital gains on the value of the properties and to be blunt it's a price worth paying for the quality of life improvements.

:argh:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
My parents were into hoarding. Almost every pound of it went into roll-off dumpsters due to rodent excrement. That poo poo's awful, and a serious dick-move to the next generation. It's good thing there was a few grand in change and bills floating around the house because it was necessary for dumpsters and cleaning crews. The house just recently sold for half its appraised value and we were lucky to get that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
My parents have PMI on their house they bought for $180k 13 years ago and my dad makes somewhere around $150k counting his bonus...my mom probably makes around $50k. Talk about BWM. There won't be an inheritance.

My dad also recently told me he had a 401k loan out to pay credit cards down. I have no idea how the gently caress they spend all this money living in such a cheap home.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 20, 2017

• Locked thread