Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

Will Horizon be the best game of 2017?

Not with Nier 2, Persona 5 and a new Zelda and Mario in the same year it won't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

No, since Nioh already came out.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is Brom's scene a weird outlier?

No. This was one of my big criticisms of the game. The plot is all over the place. There are some genuinely fun or interesting plot bits and then some which are incredibly badly scripted or acted. Brom's scene is one of the worst but some of the side scenes really feel like they were done by a different team, with awkward posing and voice actors who genuinely sound amateur. Aloy's actress (who is competent though not super-exceptional) frequently is acting rings around people she's talking to.

I will say that with Horizon I found the most interesting bit the backstory of the world, while the 'modern day' people left me pretty cold. YMMV.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

The story is absolutely finished. There is a sequel-bait post-credit scene but you get answers to most of the big questions and face down all the major antagonists.

I've got nothing against a post-credit sequel-bait if they actually cap the story as a whole, so that's just gravy :peanut:.

With spooking the wildlife, is that just being spotted or is it more like some/most types will leave you be so long as you don't put an arrow in their side?

ImpAtom posted:

No. This was one of my big criticisms of the game. The plot is all over the place. There are some genuinely fun or interesting plot bits and then some which are incredibly badly scripted or acted. Brom's scene is one of the worst but some of the side scenes really feel like they were done by a different team, with awkward posing and voice actors who genuinely sound amateur. Aloy's actress (who is competent though not super-exceptional) frequently is acting rings around people she's talking to.

I will say that with Horizon I found the most interesting bit the backstory of the world, while the 'modern day' people left me pretty cold. YMMV.

Aloy's voice actor is Ashley Burch, incidentally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've got nothing against a post-credit sequel-bait if they actually cap the story as a whole, so that's just gravy :peanut:.

With spooking the wildlife, is that just being spotted or is it more like some/most types will leave you be so long as you don't put an arrow in their side?

There are a class of creature called Watchers. If they see you they will alert anything nearby. However if you kill the Watchers then generally the 'herbivore' types will go about their business unless you get right up in their grill. The carnivore types will try to kill your rear end if you get anywhere in their vicinity though.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

fridge corn posted:

Yeah the open world mmo sidequest style game running at 20 fps is definitely not going to be trash, game of the year for sure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is the plot kind of standard boilerplate post-apoc setting or did they manage to surprise you in parts? One of the things that made me hopeful for the writing in this game is that they got the lead dude from Fallout:NV to write the story.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is a PS4 Pro a worthwhile upgrade if I already have a regular PS4? I can probably get $200-225 selling my PS4 on Craigslist around here and I have enough in savings now that I feel okay splashing out an extra $200 on top of that for something nice. Since I'm not getting a Switch any time soon, the PS4 Pro is tempting.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ImpAtom posted:

No, since Nioh already came out.

Yeah I guess with open world story content they basically have to do triage and stylistically it can get jarring. When I was playing Mafia III it was always weird going from main story scenes where you had great facial animations and cinematography, to talking to lieutenants where they would do an entire scene of dialogue in one long shot while the two characters just stood awkwardly delivering lines

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Is the plot kind of standard boilerplate post-apoc setting or did they manage to surprise you in parts? One of the things that made me hopeful for the writing in this game is that they got the lead dude from Fallout:NV to write the story.

It's a little more than boilerplate though not 100% original. I think the strongest bit is the details they put into the past and what happened. They spend a bit too long on prepping what feel like pretty obvious reveals to me but the world building got me more engaged than I might have been otherwise. There's a lot of datalogs and details and so-on which show the history of the world and people's responses to the apocalypse in a way that felt pretty interesting.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I guess with open world story content they basically have to do triage and stylistically it can get jarring. When I was playing Mafia III it was always weird going from main story scenes where you had great facial animations and cinematography, to talking to lieutenants where they would do an entire scene of dialogue in one long shot while the two characters just stood awkwardly delivering lines

Yeah, be prepared for a lot of "two characters awkwardly delivering lines" stuff. Especially since it has Mass Effect style dialogue trees. (Also a seemingly entirely redundant tone-based dialogue choice tree for some reason.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 20, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

glam rock hamhock posted:

Not with Nier 2, Persona 5 and a new Zelda and Mario in the same year it won't be.

Ive already given square Enix too much of my money in the last 6 months, persona 5 is anime, and I'm not planning on buying a switch anytime soon so none of those count I'm afraid

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

glam rock hamhock posted:

Only one of those games is going to be good, man.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Ive already given square Enix too much of my money in the last 6 months, persona 5 is anime, and I'm not planning on buying a switch anytime soon so none of those count I'm afraid

Yikes

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Only one of those games is going to be good, man.

I'm pretty sure both Persona and Nier will be good, if not GOTY for some people. This can be highly subjective.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm pretty sure both Persona and Nier will be good, if not GOTY for some people. This can be highly subjective.

Yeah, the Nier demo was really fun and I can't imagine the full game is suddenly going to turn into poo poo with combat that fun, and Persona 5 is, by all reports from the Japanese version, incredible.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aloy's voice actor is Ashley Burch, incidentally.

She is truly wonderful as Miss Pauling in TF2 so that is to be expected!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Literally the first time I heard of Horizon was seeing that awkward cutscene that made the rounds a bit ago, but since then all the stuff I've seen has made me moderately interested in it. Then again, they're commercials it's their job to make me interested.

I guess I'll throw it in the "Maybe Once I Finish Nier" list of possible purchases.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man, after playing 60 hours of Nioh, loading up Bloodborne is pretty rough. I spun the camera around in the Hunter's Dream and that was all it took to get me wondering if I could fit a PS4 Pro into my budget

Bloodborne is going to be capped at 30 FPS on a pro too. It will only make places where the frame rate drops below 30 better, such as loran darkbeast (although I can't fault anyone for dropping $400 to make that atrocity of a boss fight even a tiny bit less miserable).

Can anyone explain what they mean by frame pacing? I have noticed that 30 FPS on some games "feels" a lot choppier than on others and wondered why. When I went back to dark souls 1 on PC after playing dark souls 2, something about the 30 FPS just felt horrible and clunky, and I don't know what. I had to toggle between 60 and 30 while staring at the FPS counter for ten minutes before I was convinced it was actually as high as 30.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

VideoGames posted:

She is truly wonderful as Miss Pauling in TF2 so that is to be expected!

I had to google this, and I just want to say that TF2 got really weird after I quit playing it in 2010 or so.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Digirat posted:

Can anyone explain what they mean by frame pacing?

Yeah so basically with incorrect frame pacing, the game is still rendering at 30 frames a second BUT not all the frames are being rendered for the exact same length of time so some are getting more or less milliseconds than others.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

L-O-N posted:

Reviews seem to say the combat is great and one of the standouts from your average open world game.

I can't comprehend why. It's a lot of rolling, it's possible to escape an enemy's attention by ducking into waist high grass, the arrows don't seem to have any force behind them so they might as well have just be using a gun, the enemy AI is rather poor...

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Only having seen the last couple of hours and the sequel hook, there are "many questions" left to answer.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

I can't comprehend why. It's a lot of rolling, it's possible to escape an enemy's attention by ducking into waist high grass, the arrows don't seem to have any force behind them so they might as well have just be using a gun, the enemy AI is rather poor...

I guess watching a stream isn't the same as actually playing a game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ImpAtom posted:

There's a pretty good variety of creatures but every one that isn't the Tallneck is hostile if you spook them. The Tallnecks are sync points but there are only about 4 in the game and you don't fight, just climb them.

So like 5 creatures? 10 creatures? 30 creatures? One of the things I have been hoping for is animal diversity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

It being possible to avoid enemy attention by ducking into the grass is intentional. Especially when you're fighting multiple robots at once it's fairly easy to get overwhelmed and escaping and then re-engaging is pretty clearly intended. (Human engagements suffer form it working there as I mentioned before.)

Arrows come in a lot of different types. That said they're not one-hit kill monsters and instead you're focused on putting as many into an enemy as possible. Your big damage upgrade for example is the (silly) ability to notch two or three arrows at once instead and all elemental arrows need multiple hits to proc their effect. The focus is more on hitting enemy weak points to gradually cripple them.

(As I said before, Hard Mode as a start is probably a good idea. It isn't a hard game since you can bend things so hard in your favor. )

Feenix posted:

So like 5 creatures? 10 creatures? 30 creatures? One of the things I have been hoping for is animal diversity.

Ugh, I can't check the exact amount right now since I'm not near my copy but it's around 15-20 types. There are some overlaps (There's a Fire Bellowback and Freeze Bellowback for example) but there's a reasonable diversity of types.

Edit: To be clear, Horizon is like 70% a fairly average and competent open world game, elevated by having some pretty fun combat against robot dinosaurs. It is not going to blow your mind or change your world.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 20, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Wendell posted:

I guess watching a stream isn't the same as actually playing a game.

lol

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I finally finished The Last of Us Remastered in an attempt to start clearing my backlog.

I will maintain that it is stuck between wanting a bad stealth game and a bad third person shooter. There are ways to stealth at times, but there are also a lot of set pieces where you have to engage already hostile enemies. Some of these set pieces involve enemies that will instantly kill you if they get within proximity of you. That's all fine and dandy except you don't have the tools that other third person shooters give you such as a dodge of some sort, hip fire, or even a decent amount of ammo. The stealth portion of the game also doesn't give a lot of tools. You can throw bricks, which aggros the nonhumans and forces your partner AI to shoot at them, you can sneak up on someone and shiv them, or you can pick them off with a bow. You don't get the bow until like a third of the way through the game, and shivs break until you find an item around the same time. There's also a chapter in the game where the stealth take down isn't stealthy and will alert other guards, which is really dumb considering the chapter in question. Overall, I'm okay if I don't have to experience the game play again.

The writing was a bit more appreciated. The first third of the game was really slow and not great honestly. Other than the prologue, I did not care about any of the characters. The game did pick up in the last two thirds. I thought that the ending cut scene was really unique and well done. There are some monstrous leaps of logic that you have to take to feel the immersion, but that comes with the territory of video games. The Left Behind DLC, however, I felt was really good and made me care a lot about the characters with some nice touches, if sometimes cringe worthy.

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about the sliding block puzzles. On the one hand, I understand the need to break up the sections. On the other hand, I could have shaved like an hour off the game by shaving those sections. Also, I was frustrated that you had to put the ladder or dumpster in just the right place before I got the prompt to continue. There were so many times that I was off by like two feet, or something that should have conventionally worked didn't because reasons.

Overall, I'd give the game a 7, with the caveat that I am not a fan of AAA set piece shooters.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 20, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's funny. I was just about to post about that game. I picked it up a while ago and got to the point before you go for the battery. I tried to finish it over the weekend and as it turned out I loving hated it. I appreciate the aesthetics of the game but I don't like the gameplay at all. All the complaints you listed are exactly what I felt as well playing it the other day.

Is there a list of AAA games due out this year so I can start researching them? Ghost Recon and Mass Effect are all I have on my radar right now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

It being possible to avoid enemy attention by ducking into the grass is intentional. Especially when you're fighting multiple robots at once it's fairly easy to get overwhelmed and escaping and then re-engaging is pretty clearly intended. (Human engagements suffer form it working there as I mentioned before.)

I never doubted it was intentional, but it's just. Well. Kind of stupid. Little bits of grass shouldn't be enough to hide you from view. They could have worked any number of ways to achieve this in Aloy's weird sci-fi repertoire but they chose something some so blatantly archaic.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is that complaint supposed to be meaningful beyond a "my immersion" thing

I do not see how that matters at all

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I never doubted it was intentional, but it's just. Well. Kind of stupid. Little bits of grass shouldn't be enough to hide you from view. They could have worked any number of ways to achieve this in Aloy's weird sci-fi repertoire but they chose something some so blatantly archaic.

I don't really understand your complaint at all but the reason why is that they chose a simple visually distinctive element to show places you can hide. (The patches of tall grass have fireflies at night so they are instantly visible and noticeable.) If your complaint is that it isn't realistic enough in the game about hunting robot dinosaurs with a bow and arrow then I guess you're right.

Edit: I'm genuinely not sure what stealth games you're thinking of where hiding in tall grass doesn't count as being obscured though. It's kind of a genre staple.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 20, 2017

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

Sounds like someone hasn't heard of Jurassic Park: The Lost World!!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I know it's hard to imagine but red dead redemption 2 is coming out this year.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It feels like "the guards in MGS don't realize you're there unless immediately in front of you" - a relic of an older era of gameplay and game design. I don't know how else to really put it.

VideoGames posted:

Sounds like someone hasn't heard of Jurassic Park: The Lost World!!

You mean the movie where going into the long grass got a bunch of people killed?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Cook Serve Delicious 2 is out this year, so nothing else will be able to beat that, I'm pretty sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

It feels like "the guards in MGS don't realize you're there unless immediately in front of you" - a relic of an older era of gameplay and game design. I don't know how else to really put it.

Games with stealth mechanics always rely on abstraction, it just depends on the kind of abstraction they rely on. Even modern stealth games do so, be it guards who don't notice you if you're sitting on a bench to guards who don't even look up to guards who can't see you in shadows despite being covered by glowing neon indicators to guards who are easily fooled by the 6 foot 5 bald man with a bar code tattoo because he's wearing a smock. They need to be able to quickly identify to players where is safe at a quick visual glance because otherwise it can become very frustrating when you get noticed or caught without a clear understanding of what your options were. Stealth mechanics in games live and die by having clear rules for where is safe and where isn't.

Horizon has pretty safe and friendly stealth (and it's probably a bit overpowered) but calling it archaic because it uses tall grass as a simple visual indicator is not only a bit weird but also ignores that "tall grass = a safe spot" is pretty common in modern stealth games, not just old ones.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

What does lol mean in this specific instance?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's funny. I was just about to post about that game. I picked it up a while ago and got to the point before you go for the battery. I tried to finish it over the weekend and as it turned out I loving hated it. I appreciate the aesthetics of the game but I don't like the gameplay at all. All the complaints you listed are exactly what I felt as well playing it the other day.

Is there a list of AAA games due out this year so I can start researching them? Ghost Recon and Mass Effect are all I have on my radar right now.

The game play improves marginally; but if you hate it now, you will continue to hate it. You will soon pick up the bow, which gives you a way to pick off people in one shot if they aren't aware of your presence. Your shivs will get upgraded for durability, and I saved up to buy the perks (aside from market research and design by committee there is zero reason to have an upgrade system in this game) that let you shiv a clicker when it grabbed you instead of restarting the area. Even then, it's still annoying because it won't kill the clicker in one hit.

I would tell you to play the DLC but it kind of spoils the last quarter of the game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

You mean the movie where going into the long grass got a bunch of people killed?

Exactly! Because they didn't see the already hiding in the grass raptors. Grass is nature's camouflage.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Harlock posted:

I know it's hard to imagine but red dead redemption 2 is coming out this year.

No it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Every single Rockstar game since San Andreas has had significant delays so a Fall 2018 launch is very likely in RDR2's case.