Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arcsquad12 posted:

TheXPGamers did a close up on the Ork units.

Some close ups on the actual animations without a laser light show distracting everything. They are extremely basic looking.

Augh, combat impact just looks so lame, especially the melee.

And while I don't hate the visual style as much as some, the overly-exaggerated, cartoony animations and unit abilities really are at massive odds with the CGI/animatics they've shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm okay with everything except the impacts/feedback/visceral quality of it which just isnt there

A lot of the ork units look like they are super fun, conceptually... Squig summons, ork bosses shooting fireworks and swinging their mech arm around, orkcopters that chainsaw the ground, trucks that catapult ork boys etc

But if it all boils down to a bunch of units standing still next to eachother until one falls over then that is just dull

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hard counter posted:

oh man that was a good rts, well ahead of its time and maybe hasn't even been surpassed yet, and ... it's like 10 years old now? :shepface:

Zzulu posted:

The RTS genre took a nosedive and all the innovation with it

there is such a total lack of learning from the successes and features of other games

the "not invented here" attitude is a concept that well predates video games, so i have to wonder if game devs are actively hostile to incorporating other people's innovations. either that, or are game publishers filing software patents on their loving games?? maybe they're just all giant shitheads.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Mordja posted:

Massive will be stuck making The Division sequels and expansions forever. :smith:

That's the part that really gets me, yeah :(

WiC is one of the best games I've ever played in both single and multiplayer.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Arcsquad12 posted:

Some close ups on the actual animations without a laser light show distracting everything. They are extremely basic looking.

I am in awe at the disconnect between the fantastic promotional artwork and the ingame WIPs.

Launching the boyz out of the trukk at 3:45 was pretty cool, but otherwise... yeah.

I'm sure this will be a perfectly acceptable game for those of us who didn't hate Starcraft 2, but it doesn't seem to retain a whole lot of Dawn of War genes.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I am in awe at the disconnect between the fantastic promotional artwork and the ingame WIPs.

Hahaha. Go to 2:50-2:55 in the video. A bomb squig runs into a squad of infantry and explodes and the infantry are not affected one bit beyond two models falling down in a death animation. No ragdoll, no gibs, I don't even think the crater is anything but a sprite. There is no weight to anything in this game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Physics going haywire when a weirdboy died in dawn of war 2 was the best

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Zzulu posted:

I'm okay with everything except the impacts/feedback/visceral quality of it which just isnt there

A lot of the ork units look like they are super fun, conceptually... Squig summons, ork bosses shooting fireworks and swinging their mech arm around, orkcopters that chainsaw the ground, trucks that catapult ork boys etc

But if it all boils down to a bunch of units standing still next to eachother until one falls over then that is just dull

One of the problems I have with units where each has some unique special ability is that for me to actually use those, the ability needs to be very useful/necessary and I need to be able to easily use it. Often with ability-intensive micro-managing RTS games, I tend to take the path of least resistance and just right-click my way to victory. Like is using the Ork truckapult then having them get back in the truck and using it again later going to be so much more useful than just telling my Orks to attack? Likewise one of the reasons i like good WASD (or whatever you use) camera controls in RTS games like Total War, Wargame, or World in Conflict is that it tends to just make finding and clicking units to use their abilities so much easier and guess what loving company refuses even as late as CoH 2 to allow me to customize my controls to do this.

As for the art style, I don't mind. The color and cartooniness remind me of early-gen 40K stuff, and I dig the expressiveness in the units.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 6, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I would kill for some of those ideas in DoW 2, where they'd have weight and mayhem and not fall into a homogenous soup of basic units that don't do much.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0XnU0xaqsY

Have they added new animations for explosions?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That... actually makes the game look great.

Impressive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anything looks good in trailers. What baffles me is why they would send off such horrible vibes with their first look playthroughs rather than presenting more polished builds. You only get one first impression

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anything looks good in trailers. What baffles me is why they would send off such horrible vibes with their first look playthroughs rather than presenting more polished builds. You only get one first impression

I get wanting to be transparent and get feedback, but I don't think it ends up for the better with a lot of games.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Neat, Taldeer is in ulthwe colours as a wraithknight.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
That displayed the scale of the game much better but it still seems way too busy to tell what is going on. What I hope I can take away from it is that we can pull the camera that far back. It helps showcase the carnage much better than what we've seen so far.

I will give credit where its due: this is the first time I've seen the game and thought "that might be worth playing." Hopefully MP info is released soon.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I suppose there's no use anymore in hoping that Gabriel's voice in the trailers is just a placeholder, right?

Of Relic's many questionable decisions regarding DoW3, changing Gabriel's voice actor is by far the worst.

இڿڰۣ----- In Memoriam இڿڰۣ-----

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zzulu posted:

It really is a shame because DoW2 was really good about making war look chaotic and organic (compared to other RTS's). Units would get thrown everywhere, some would flee or look for cover, terrain would get blasted, enemies would go flying with giant hammer swings, etc.

I don't know a lot about DOW3 except for the ork demonstration, and while I dig the idea of orks being about rushing to fight and snowballing off each victory with the scrap upgrades, the fighting looked like a HUGE step back from prior games.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Just played through the e3 build a couple of times at the pc gamer weekender, game plays like half and half 1 and 2; you have a large army but you have to be careful because everything will die if you aren't careful with them.

Dow2 style tank armor is very much still a thing, it applies to everyone with "heavy" armor so unless you're throwing power weapons at wraith guard they take an eternity to kill. Elite units have a long rear end respawn time so if you lose solaria or your terminators they're gone for a good while.

Counter to what some people feared units aren't expendable, at least for marines, you're very much encouraged to use your elites to tank for your line units since they're free to heal/reinforce.

Artum fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 20, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How are animations? Still janky?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Yeah, like I said e3 build, there's no Ui marker for squads requiring/able to reinforce and no force melee button as yet, and the texturing looks unfinished with bits of marines being super glossy and others not.

Cover is actually destructible, but if you just clear it out instead it gives resources as long as you hold it, just has the drawback of tying up a unit.

Economy is a weird frankenstein of 1 and 2 with elite points doing the job of power from 2, making you decide what high impact unit you want to blow it on to turn the tide or save up for something big. Dow3 power is just dow1 power where its what you buy tanks and upgrades with, dreads costing like 100req/300pow. Not sold on it but I'll have to wait for multiplayer to really decide.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Oh and the resourcing increase upgrades from 1 make a return but it's on a per strategic point basis.

Strategic points themselves, its like everything is a power node from dawn of war 2 but each has a predetermined setup of Req and power which you buy like power gens. And they can be stolen from you or burned down.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ugh, I hope the skirmish ai isn't as awful as DOW2

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Senjuro posted:

I suppose there's no use anymore in hoping that Gabriel's voice in the trailers is just a placeholder, right?

Of Relic's many questionable decisions regarding DoW3, changing Gabriel's voice actor is by far the worst.

இڿڰۣ----- In Memoriam இڿڰۣ-----

ugh i had forgotten we lost the angelos VA :arghfist::saddowns:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Listening posts are back and start off with a turret so at the very least the Ai won't be giving people the runaround and ninja capping everything.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

hard counter posted:

ugh i had forgotten we lost the angelos VA :arghfist::saddowns:

I swear the heavy bolter teams are Voiced by the usual dobson, the different squads have different voices this time.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

that's good, are the squad lines still mostly :black101:?

i really appreciated how much effort they put into noise marines back in the day, both their lines and the lines directed at them

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

hard counter posted:

that's good, are the squad lines still mostly :black101:?

i really appreciated how much effort they put into noise marines back in the day, both their lines and the lines directed at them

Assault terminators and heavy bolters are the standouts thus far, "WE BRING THE STORM!"

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

that's good, the VAs and the lines from this series barely get enough praise, it's embarrassing but once in a while i'll go back and listen to a dow quotes compilation

even simple eldar lines lke "i descry a techmarine and he's *ugh* praying at his bolter :cripes:" did a great job of characterizing their units and their faction

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Angelos' new VA isn't bad but there is an undercurrent of "imposter!"

Mostly I wish he had some kind of line of "none shall find us wanting!", it being the new battlecry/motto since retribution and him being chapter master and all that.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
They really weren't kidding about forward bases in this, a doctrine chapel costs half as much Req as a tactical squad plus a bit of power so it pays to have a servitor drop one or a barracks down for you to fall back to so you can reinforce your troops and heal your elites.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Artum posted:

They really weren't kidding about forward bases in this, a doctrine chapel costs half as much Req as a tactical squad plus a bit of power so it pays to have a servitor drop one or a barracks down for you to fall back to so you can reinforce your troops and heal your elites.

So it sounds like it would behoove you as the player to continually advance forward with your production buildings to shorten the supply chain. Eldar get to move their buildings for free I believe while the other races have to continually build new stuff. Can you retire old buildings? I also wonder how this would work in MP if map size is big at all.

Also to clarify in your first post today:

Artum posted:

Counter to what some people feared units aren't expendable, at least for marines, you're very much encouraged to use your elites to tank for your line units since they're free to heal/reinforce.

Elites heal around production buildings or what?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I guess I'll give the benefit of the doubt that displaying footage of sound tactical decisions doesn't help sell an RTS like "big explosions and tons of dudes."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Artum posted:

I swear the heavy bolter teams are Voiced by the usual dobson, the different squads have different voices this time.

They probably were able to shell out for Brian Dobson. Bringing back Paul or Michael might be the trickier issue. As for Brian Drummond, much as I'd love for him to voice Gorgutz again, it was probably never going to happen.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

FooF posted:

Elites heal around production buildings or what?

Yeah, strongholds or either of the infantry production places but not tanks.

There's no limit on buildings so no sense in retiring them, marines spread by cheap buildings, eldar by web way relocation and Orks by turning wrecks into waaaagh towers.

Plan Z posted:

I guess I'll give the benefit of the doubt that displaying footage of sound tactical decisions doesn't help sell an RTS like "big explosions and tons of dudes."

Can confirm, closest point of comparison is late match dow2, if you aren't picking the right targets and using abilities you will be mulched.

A single whirlwind barrage can shred seemingly any mass of non heavy infantry so mindless blobbing is a death sentence.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Thinking on it further I can definitely see why they added all the extra mechanics to bombardment/rokks/storm. Unlike 2 there's no cost attached it's just unlocked by reaching t3, so basically if you had los on an enemy force you could wipe it out. But in the later builds they've shown in videos there's some element in the field that interacts with it so there's counter play beyond just running for it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I don't mind Gorgutz's new appearance since it's distinct and not a Ghazghkull clone.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Sounds fun. I was hoping to give it a try at PAX East but it doesn't look like they're going to be there so I'm glad to hear from someone who's played a demo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I don't mind Gorgutz's new appearance since it's distinct and not a Ghazghkull clone.

Except he stole his skill set from Spookums and lost his Brian Drummond voice.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

hosed up. A Bad Moon stealing from a Blood Axe. Opposite day is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I'm getting Youtube ads for this game and they don't even have a date announced.

• Locked thread