Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rabid Snake posted:

Does AMD do aggressive binning for their processors? I was wondering if it would be worth getting the 1800x over the 1700x
AMD frequency bins to the point where you can expect a percentage overclock over stock of any specific SKU (especially with Kaveri, which throughout the stack has a 10-15% flat OC headroom) so I expect the same thing might apply here.

Whether it's worth 120 dollars more for a few hundred mhz is up to the purchaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

One thing I still don't understand is why AMD litetally copied Intel's mistakes with Bulldozer? Longer pipeline so you could achieve more megahurtz... Couldn't they see how well it worked with Netburst?
Lisa Su is actually kinda mediocre?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Lisa Su is actually kinda mediocre?
Bulldozer was designed in 2008 and released in 2011, when Lisa Su was still working at IBM Freescale. Bulldozer was Hector Ruiz's shitbaby.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 19, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Bulldozer was designed in 2008 and released in 2011, when Lisa Su was still working at IBM Freescale. Bulldozer was Hector Ruiz's shitbaby.
Oh yeah, Ruiz is definitely a fuckboy.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Yea, I totally don't believe that for a second. Being wrong would be fantastic but I'm going to say - no way, not unless they're disabling a bunch of cores and probably not even then.

Again, the guys who witnessed this never made an overclocking claim, this is some redditor claiming it was overclocked. It was a cinebench test, and it was at stock clocks.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

FaustianQ posted:

Again, the guys who witnessed this never made an overclocking claim, this is some redditor claiming it was overclocked. It was a cinebench test, and it was at stock clocks.

I'm responding to someone commenting on a Redditor posting that. Just in case anyone is unlikely enough to think that's going to happen.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm sure it'll be an overclocker's dream...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has AMD put out a good overclocker since the Duron 600 MHz? AXIA Athlon was alright but I bought an AYHJA in high school and it was a completely bust.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Josh Lyman posted:

Has AMD put out a good overclocker since the Duron 600 MHz? AXIA Athlon was alright but I bought an AYHJA in high school and it was a completely bust.

Athlon XP-M was amazing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Paul MaudDib posted:

Athlon XP-M was amazing.

There was also an Opteron famous for overclocking, the 144, I believe.

Not to mention more recently (well, still pre-Bulldozer) you had triple cores that could often be unlocked into fully functional quad cores, although I realise that's a different kettle of fish.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 19, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Paul MaudDib posted:

Athlon XP-M was amazing.

Friend on mine got his to 3GHz on air. (Ok, the computer was on his windowsill in -5degC weather but still). They were great.

I undervolted mine quite a bit and ran the fans super quiet.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 19, 2017

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If the IPC wasn't poo poo overclocking BD derivatives would be more fun. Its quite possible to get around 1Ghz or more overclocks on some of them on air. They just still perform poorly and use tons more power so it doesn't make much sense.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If the IPC wasn't poo poo overclocking BD derivatives would be more fun. Its quite possible to get around 1Ghz or more overclocks on some of them on air. They just still perform poorly and use tons more power so it doesn't make much sense.

Overclocked Bulldozer pulls as much as an overclocked Intel HEDT processor at like half the total performance :lol:

The 9590 is extra hilarious because you need to buy a fancy motherboard with a specific chipset to be able to push that much power to it, which are extra expensive. Or you could just buy an Intel.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Or you could just buy an Intel.
But Bulldozer has 8 REAL cores, while an i7 only has 8 LOGICAL cores! :science: (motherboard melts)

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

My FX-8320 overclocks to 5.1Ghz with a $20 Coolermaster 212, and renders videos in about 90% the time of an i7-6700, so I'm 100% okay with paying less than half the price of the i7.

RyuHimora fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 20, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RyuHimora posted:

But Bulldozer has 8 REAL cores, while an i7 only has 8 LOGICAL cores!

But what is a core? A miserable little pile of secrets!

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

RyuHimora posted:

My FX-8320 overclocks to 5.1Ghz with a $20 Coolermaster 212, and renders videos in about 90% the time of an i7-6700, so I'm 100% okay with paying less than half the price of the i7.
For that task sure the performance scales well with more threads so Bulldozer variants will do well at it vs Intel parts. Generally though IPC still mattered more since it gave you much better single thread performance. That is starting to change with more software using 2 or 4 threads, a few will even use more than that but are still uncommon.

I think the trend of software becoming more multi threaded as time goes on will continue which ironically will help improve Bulldozer performance more over time long after AMD will have stopped making it. Making a core which focused heavily again on IPC as with Zen was definitely the right move though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

But what is a core? A miserable little pile of secrets!

AMD's cores especially. Those 8 logical cores just happen to be 4 complexes of 2 threads that share execution units to increase performance.

What's that you say? That sounds a lot like HyperThreading? JUST STOP IT DAD, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ME AT ALL! :emo:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

no you see the threads are being ripped its totally different

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Boiled Water posted:

no you see the threads are being ripped its totally different
They didn't trademark threadripper when they made Bulldozer. Big mistake imho

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Threadripper sounds like the name of a monster from a Judas Priest song.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

"AMD Ryzen with THREADRIPPER" with cpu box art taken from Judas Priest album covers.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Boiled Water posted:

"AMD Ryzen with THREADRIPPER" with cpu box art taken from Judas Priest album covers.
perfect way to bring back late 90s/early 00s absurdist videocard box designs :tipshat:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

perfect way to bring back late 90s/early 00s absurdist videocard box designs :tipshat:

I'm sad because I'm moving on from a GPU that has a FEMALE on it to one that doesn't

to

:smith:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

bad cg intimidating toothy creatures of some sort were way better

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
I got into buying GPUs with the 8800GT ~~~ALPHA DOG~~~ edition

Still not sure what the box art is, some furry thing with a mask like Skull Face

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
https://videocardz.com/66149/amd-ryzen-cpus-pictured

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

so they look just like the render? I guess this confirms they're real if nothing else.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Unironically, I can't wait for someone to delid one of these things so I can see how the die is laid out for optimum pasting.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Unironically, I can't wait for someone to delid one of these things so I can see how the die is laid out for optimum pasting.

If it's just like a Bulldozer CPU it'll be impossible.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sure they're not soldered? Their previous FX CPUs were, as far as I know.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 20, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
There are crazy people on Youtube that try to de-lid soldered Intel chips, so I'm sure someone will try it on these, too!

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf8V_UulpBk

Apparently he didn't shred the die? Skip to a minute in to see the die shot.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 20, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If I *really* wanted to, I could chuck a processor up into a vise in one of the vertical mills (preferably a dead one, I don't like doing this kind of poo poo to perfectly-good hardware) and then just take off .0001 of an inch at a time with a shell mill until I get down to solder, assuming the solder isn't like, "squeezed out like thermal paste" thicknesses. I mean it's solder, it's metallic, it can afford to be the.... what was it, .030"?0.0035" That the Ivy Bridge adhesive was?

(I'm sure the actual gap between the die and the heatspreader is actually greater... I'd probably peel off layers until it got down to aluminum foil thickness, and then just peel off the rest by hand to expose the solder.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 20, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

this just reminded me that the Pentium G3258 IHS was soldered and that won't cease being funny to me because the only post-sandy lga 115x chip that got solder as the TIM was a low end chip with a multiplier unlocked

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this just reminded me that the Pentium G3258 IHS was soldered and that won't cease being funny to me because the only post-sandy lga 115x chip that got solder as the TIM was a low end chip with a multiplier unlocked
???????? My Pentium G3258 right next to me was very definitely not soldered when I delidded it, in fact that's the reason I had to delid it, the thermal performance was alarmingly bad even on a really good cooler.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If I *really* wanted to, I could chuck a processor up into a vise in one of the vertical mills (preferably a dead one, I don't like doing this kind of poo poo to perfectly-good hardware) and then just take off .0001 of an inch at a time with a shell mill until I get down to solder, assuming the solder isn't like, "squeezed out like thermal paste" thicknesses. I mean it's solder, it's metallic, it can afford to be the.... what was it, .030"?0.0035" That the Ivy Bridge adhesive was?

(I'm sure the actual gap between the die and the heatspreader is actually greater... I'd probably peel off layers until it got down to aluminum foil thickness, and then just peel off the rest by hand to expose the solder.)

Why not just heat it up enough to melt the solder and weaken the adhesive? Too high of a temp? Or maybe you could carefully try to cut the adhesive and then run a heat gun over the cover to desolder the thing. Does intel/AMD sputter a sufficiently thick metal layer on the back of the die after they mill it down?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RyuHimora posted:

???????? My Pentium G3258 right next to me was very definitely not soldered when I delidded it, in fact that's the reason I had to delid it, the thermal performance was alarmingly bad even on a really good cooler.

Yea, it would make zero sense if a dual core Pentium was soldered given the explanation for why current skylake quads and so on aren't soldered IHSes.

eames
May 9, 2009

Asus motherboard leak seems to confirm DDR4 ECC support

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.asus.com/gr/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/specifications/

eames fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 20, 2017

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
It might be soldered on but it's not good quality Razer ICETech ArtikFroZXZer HeatCombat Thermal Compound and thus it must go into the trash.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Why not just heat it up enough to melt the solder and weaken the adhesive? Too high of a temp? Or maybe you could carefully try to cut the adhesive and then run a heat gun over the cover to desolder the thing. Does intel/AMD sputter a sufficiently thick metal layer on the back of the die after they mill it down?

Because the rear end in a top hat I lent my good heat gun to never gave it back before they skipped town. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
That's what hair dryers with concentrator adapters are for! :cheeky:

• Locked thread