Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Mu Zeta posted:

Just eat rice. Lasts forever.

But it's from Holland!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Keystoned posted:

Counterpoint: I am saving money on groceries now because I buy only exactly is what on my list based on meal planning for the week, eliminating all of the impusle shoppjng that really fucks your budget.

It was rare for me to get out of the store for under $200. The last three weeks Ive spent right at $100 since im doing it online. So less money, less time, more convenient? This sounds like everything we love about the internet!

I can see if youre cooking for only one person than it makes sense to zip on for 15 minutes, spend your $40 for the week and zip out. But when youre shopping for 4 and and a typical trip takes 60+ minutes online becomes super attractive. The free delivery is just a bonus - I could easily see myself paying $5-10 for the convenience.

I go with my Grandparents (on both sides) philosophy. When you're cash rich, stock up on preservable food. Can or freeze when you have extra, keep a larder with lots of food. If you run into a tight spot, you won't go hungry. One set of my Grandparents lived through the dust bowl, the other, through the purge of the ethnic Germans in Yugoslavia and lived in a DP camp.

Have food. If things go south, at least you won't be hungry.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the Grocery Industry Viral Marketing happening in this thread, it's meta af.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Turtlicious posted:

I like the Grocery Industry Viral Marketing happening in this thread, it's meta af.

Marketing doesn't work on me until it works on me.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know sure as poo poo Marketing works on me because I keep buying steam games I don't even want.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Marketing would work better on me if I had more money to spend.

That's the key flaw of marketing; they act under the assumption that everybody has infinite money.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Or that people are very willing to go into debt.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Moon Slayer posted:

Or that people are very willing to go into debt.

Lol if you don't just get Enrique to go into debt for you.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mu Zeta posted:

People solved the stale bread problem thousands of years ago just turn it into bread crumbs or bread pudding stale bread is your friend.

Or just eating it stale.

I am such a man.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

My main issue grocery shopping is that I live alone so I need to pay attention to use by dates (yes, I can taste the difference when past the date)
No you can't. The use-by or best before date is an estimate, and usually a conservative one because it's much better for the company if you throw away food before it goes bad than if you keep it and it's not as good or goes mouldy. Milk in particular will last way past the date without deteriorating at all, unless it spends a significant amount of time out of the fridge.

JnnyThndrs posted:

I just keep regular bread in the fridge, it lasts long enough for me to eat it that way. I usually toast it anyway, so it's not like I really notice.
If you're just going to toast it anyway, why not put it in the freezer?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Tiggum posted:

If you're just going to toast it anyway, why not put it in the freezer?

I used to do that when I was single and didn't eat at home much, but switched to the fridge when my GF got one of those new-style toasters with the giant thick slots - the heating elements are so far from the bread that it takes -forever- to toast normal-thickness frozen bread.

My old toaster was from the Sixties and was great for bread but useless for bagels and such.

Jesus, bread derail is like the boringest derail and I'm partially to blame :shrug:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Marketing would work better on me if I had more money to spend.

That's the key flaw of marketing; they act under the assumption that everybody has infinite money.
Marketing is the opposite. It assumes there is limited money and limited memory space for things which means marketing is an arms race against itself. There is a slight leap of faith from there that your spend is going to be proportional to how much memory space is taken up by a certain thing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

mandatory lesbian posted:

if you become a parent you're supposed to do the same and look how well that goes

Absolutely, but you'd think if someone goes out of their way to become a foster carer rather than accidentally knock up/be knocked up and deal with it they'd be doing it for the child's benefit.

Unless the children are being marketed as an easy source of governmental income?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Meanwhile, in Japan:

Ah yes, the Mooninite approach to advertising.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

In case anyone was wondering, I looked on wikipedia and one of the eponymous monster girls is a ghost whose head comes off.

I also found out it's just about high school girls that are draculas and ghosts, and not some What we do in the Shadows style mockumentary, which is a bit disappointing.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
It's supposed to be an allegory for people with disabilities or some poo poo, but still, it's a loving decapitated head that they're putting in random places. This is the country where stations had to cancel shows and replace them with 30 minutes of stock footage of a boat due to horrific murders.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Double Punctuation posted:

This is the country where stations had to cancel shows and replace them with 30 minutes of stock footage of a boat due to horrific murders.

Say what now?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's just an anime head. it's not like that videogame company that send a female torso as an ad for their zombie game.

Zaphod42 posted:

Say what now?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nice-boat

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
e: Or that, yeah.

Zaphod42 posted:

Say what now?

School Days
"On September 17, 2007, the day before the twelfth and final episode of the televised anime was to air on TV Kanagawa, a sixteen-year-old girl murdered her forty-five-year-old father in their Kyoto home with an axe. TV Kanagawa promptly cancelled the Tuesday airing of the finale for its similarly violent content, replacing it instead with a thirty-minute video compilation of scenery footage from Norway, played to August Wilhelmj's "Air on the G String".

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Okay, going off of some knowledge I haven't thought about since I stopped watching anime in high school. So starting from complete scratch, there was this one anime that was based off a visual novel, one featuring the typical trappings of high school kid who needs to win over one of a number of female classmates in the name of love. Typically, these types of stories get adapted into anime, selecting one of several endings where the kid wins one/all of the girls, I imagine based off of whatever the creator's/director's favorite is. However, this one specific visual novel adapted was somewhat notorious for it's Bad Endings. Where in other visual novels it would just be 'lol everyone hates you and you're all alone', but in this one they were more along the lines of 'One of your suitors is legitimately insane and tries to kill you/your girlfriend/herself' in fairly graphic manner. So, comes the animated adaptation and for the most part, it's pretty typical anime fluff. Guy notices girl a, while girl b notices guy, and girl c gets roped into it, etc. However, as series went along, the protagonist was making some increasingly more dick moves, and one of the girls, the insane one in the original story, was coming more off the rails. For the audience, it was becoming increasingly clear that the anime was taking an unexpected left turn and going for one of these 'Bad Ends', which is untraditional for the genre.

Unexpectedly, there was the unfortunate incident where a 16-year-old girl killed her father with an axe. Now, as far as I know, Japan isn't a culture of violent crimes. Where in North America we have increasingly become desensitized to gun violence and juvenile crime, it is still quite shocking and scandalous back in Japan. Especially an incident where someone so young would act on such a heinous impulse. To reiterate, this incident ended up as national news. And it had to happen just before the finale was about to broadcast, across the nation, featuring one of it's central characters, a teenage girl, attempting murder someone, likely with an axe like object (as gun laws are a lot more strict there). Which is kinda like releasing a Godzilla style, mass destruction Disaster film just after 9/11. So, not wanting to seem insensitive, the broadcasters decided to cancel the final episode last minute, and replace it with footage of Norway set to classical music. Why footage of Norway? I can only guess, either as they had no other programming to replace it with, or because they have a policy not to misinform audiences about their scheduled programing, or as a pure PR move as to say 'We are completely against this type of violence and content, that we are going out of our way to instead broadcast the exact opposite of it in every way'.

The legacy of this broadcast is a number of memes came from a live chat during the broadcast, namely of dorks being outraged they couldn't watch their anime, but notably took a brief break to compliment to footage of a ferry on a river, to which one member said, 'Nice Boat'. Thus, Nice Boat became a hilarious in joke that was beaten to death in the anime communities of 2008.

SomeJazzyRat has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Feb 20, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Unexpectedly, there was the unfortunate incident where a 16-year-old girl killed her father with an axe. Now, as far as I know, Japan isn't a culture of violent crimes.

Japan is actually seriously violent, they just mainly focus it inward. Japan's suicide rate is higher than the US's suicide rate and homicide rate added together. It's the leading cause of death in men 20-44.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It's also the source of the most brutal murderers for some reason.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Phanatic posted:

Japan is actually seriously violent, they just mainly focus it inward. Japan's suicide rate is higher than the US's suicide rate and homicide rate added together. It's the leading cause of death in men 20-44.

Yeah, I just meant that it was quite scandalous for someone to attack someone else in such a manner, especially being so young, distypical of a violent attacker, and relatively 'unprovoked'. On the other hand, everything I know about Japan comes from misinformation from back when I watched Anime in middle school.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Japan is really weird when it comes to violence and sex. It's like a strange culture-wide repression where everyone in polite company just pretends it doesn't happen and the people who are open about it are really weird and take it too far.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Japan is really weird when it comes to violence and sex. It's like a strange culture-wide repression where everyone in polite company just pretends it doesn't happen and the people who are open about it are really weird and take it too far.

Like Victorian England.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

chitoryu12 posted:

This is why anime is so creepy. "Geeks" in Japan were pushed so far to the fringe they became an unchecked cancerous growth.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I was translating an episode of an anime that featured one character threatening another with a knife. It was supposed to air (in Japan) the same week that ISIS released videos showing members threatening a Japanese hostage with a knife; they ended up delaying the episode by a week, skipping that week entirely. There was another delayed week because of the Kumamoto earthquake, but that had nothing to do with objectionable content and more to do with news programming, I'm guessing.

We do the same thing in the States, though, like after the Challenger explosion or 9/11. I know I remember some scheduled shows/movies not airing (and not because they were preempted by news). Here are a few examples.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SomeJazzyRat posted:

...the anime communities of 2008.

And people think the current problem is Trump

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sappo569 posted:

And people think the current problem is Trump

I'd say Trump is more voltage than current. Things only receive the amount of amps they request, while voltage is crammed ceaselessly into a thing regardless of whether they want it or not.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hirayuki posted:

I was translating an episode of an anime that featured one character threatening another with a knife. It was supposed to air (in Japan) the same week that ISIS released videos showing members threatening a Japanese hostage with a knife; they ended up delaying the episode by a week, skipping that week entirely. There was another delayed week because of the Kumamoto earthquake, but that had nothing to do with objectionable content and more to do with news programming, I'm guessing.

We do the same thing in the States, though, like after the Challenger explosion or 9/11. I know I remember some scheduled shows/movies not airing (and not because they were preempted by news). Here are a few examples.

Don't forget how we took the towers out of everything in the early 2000s or the supposed list of songs banned by clear channel

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It's supposed to be an allegory for people with disabilities or some poo poo, but still, it's a loving decapitated head that they're putting in random places. This is the country where stations had to cancel shows and replace them with 30 minutes of stock footage of a boat due to horrific murders.

Japanese society isn't great toward people with disabilities so it's sad but also unsurprising that an allegory is necessary for discussing the topic in 2017, instead of just making an anime about disabled folks.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Why footage of Norway? I can only guess, either as they had no other programming to replace it with, or because they have a policy not to misinform audiences about their scheduled programing, or as a pure PR move as to say 'We are completely against this type of violence and content, that we are going out of our way to instead broadcast the exact opposite of it in every way'.

Lots of TV stations have "play this in case of emergency" content. It's chosen specifically to be as inoffensive as possible so it could be used for just about any problem at the last minute, from "poo poo the system with our digital content crashed" to "there was a heinous axe murder irl for the love of god don't let that episode air." At the last station I worked at, our emergency tape was about an hour of stationary camera footage in the woods set to soft acoustic guitar.

I'm imagining a freaked out higher-up calling the station, screaming "DON'T PLAY THAT EPISODE THAT'S ABOUT TO AIR" and the underpaid operator shrugging and popping in the Nice Boat tape.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm imagining a freaked out higher-up calling the station, screaming "DON'T PLAY THAT EPISODE THAT'S ABOUT TO AIR" and the underpaid operator shrugging and popping in the Nice Boat tape.

I always wondered who was buying these

it's actually profoundly lonely people

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Lots of TV stations have "play this in case of emergency" content. It's chosen specifically to be as inoffensive as possible so it could be used for just about any problem at the last minute, from "poo poo the system with our digital content crashed" to "there was a heinous axe murder irl for the love of god don't let that episode air." At the last station I worked at, our emergency tape was about an hour of stationary camera footage in the woods set to soft acoustic guitar.

And it doubles as Relax-O-Vision!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Pastry of the Year posted:

I always wondered who was buying these

it's actually profoundly lonely people

Nice train.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Does the succubus teacher represent the disability of being hot? I mean the vampire can represent someone who can't get in the sun or needs regular blood transfusions, the dullahan can represent someone who has a physical disability since she's essentially down a hand when walking around because she needs to hold her hear, the the yuki-onna can be someone who's frail when it comes to exercise and temperature, but the succubus is just, y'know.

Edit: I got it, she represents a toxic workplace environment for women.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lmao at the grocery shopping discussion, you people live some sad sheltered lives.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Alhazred posted:

:stare: Any bread that lasts for two weeks without moulding or going stale is not made by natural ingredients.

I had some Sara Lee bread last 6-8 months without mold. I didn't have the nerve to see if it still tasted good, but the ducks didn't mind. I didn't stick around to see if they died or mutated or whatever though.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

bradzilla posted:

lmao at the grocery shopping discussion, you people live some sad sheltered lives.

Of all the things to get smug about...goons never cease to impress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Of all the things to get smug about...goons never cease to impress.

Hmm yes it's totally normal to think that grocery shopping is some insurmountable, monolithic task