Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Panzeh posted:

I think its a bit early in stephs career to discuss longevity.

When I say better I mean peaks. Obviously if Curry's legs fall off(Rip Rose) he won't reach the longevity awards. But assuming he doesn't his career will be muuuuch better

Not to mention if you include the RINGS BITCH™ category. Curry is already better than Nash.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Rings is the only metric worth measuring anyway

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Dexo posted:

When I say better I mean peaks. Obviously if Curry's legs fall off(Rip Rose) he won't reach the longevity awards. But assuming he doesn't his career will be muuuuch better

I get that. I just think, if you want a pass-first, tough floor general who you can trust late in games, you take Steve. If you want a ridiculous scorer who makes boneheaded plays(obviously not always), Mr Curry it is. Also I'm old

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Doltos posted:

Whiteside and Cousins on one team would be a powder keg. Whiteside on any team with a superstar that cares about spacing is a nightmare.

I'd rather have a spacing nightmare with good players than the Kings roster.

Tae posted:

Also seems kinda weird to compare shooting percentages and ignore that Curry has maintained a 41% 3-point average while shooting double the volume of 3's than peak Nash the past 4-5 years. You're then arguing Jose Calderon at 1-2 attempts per game was a better shooter than Dirk or Ray Allen because he hit a higher percentage.

If Dirk, Ray Allen, and Nash came into the league now they would be shooting more threes. All three of those players are good enough to maintain accuracy over a higher volume of shots. However, it's a paradox because modern NBA offenses wouldn't have evolved into what they did without those players.

Also, if Nash was on the Warriors instead of Curry they would be back to back champs. Curry is great and his MVP season is better than Nash's but Nash doesn't get shook. (Just his face smashed in by dirty teams.)

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Brolander posted:

i think it's a bit early in steph's career to judge him against steve at all

Just pretend Steph Curry had 4 years before his first year where he also did not do poo poo and there you go.

Steph is so far ahead of Nash

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Spacebump posted:

If Dirk, Ray Allen, and Nash came into the league now they would be shooting more threes. All three of those players are good enough to maintain accuracy over a higher volume of shots. However, it's a paradox because modern NBA offenses wouldn't have evolved into what they did without those players.

Also, if Nash was on the Warriors instead of Curry they would be back to back champs.

Yeah, these things too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Brolander posted:

If you want a ridiculous scorer who makes boneheaded plays, Mr Curry it is. Also I'm old

This is a hilariously short sighted over-reaction to a great player. Curry is a ridiculously dependable player who, it should be noted, is much better at not turning the ball over than Mr. Nash.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+many+rings+has+steve+nash+won&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+many+rings+has+stephen+curry+won&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Lockback posted:

This is a hilariously short sighted over-reaction to a great player. Curry is a ridiculously dependable player who, it should be noted, is much better at not turning the ball over than Mr. Nash.

I mean I'm taking the piss somewhat, but dependable over how long a period of time? This is where we run into the comparison issue I mentioned before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpjtV4qjJBU

Brolander fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 20, 2017

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

hahahhah gently caress

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pretty sure only one of those players has been used as a shorthand for superlative skill in a #1 song, and it wasn't Steph.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spacebump posted:

Also, if Nash was on the Warriors instead of Curry they would be back to back champs. Curry is great and his MVP season is better than Nash's but Nash doesn't get shook. (Just his face smashed in by dirty teams.)

Nash also could create like a mother fucker and basically helped invent the modern NBA. Sure he got a fake MVP once but I don't think it's that insane to want Nash over Curry, or to even say Nash is a better basketball player.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

alright lets fire this PR machine up
https://twitter.com/highkin/status/833772860594384896

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BIZORT posted:

All day I'd been hearing Sacramento got this big offer on the table and that they stopped taking calls because this one team had absolutely blown them away with such an incredible offer

Wow back from the dead. How about them...magic...s?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Kings fans definitely have a 'get of jail free' card to become Warriors fans without getting poo poo for being a bandwagon'er

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/833754666290839552

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
You honestly couldn't have gotten a second rounder for Matt Barnes?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Are they still seriously waiving Galloway

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Brolander posted:

I mean I'm taking the piss somewhat, but dependable over how long a period of time? This is where we run into the comparison issue I mentioned before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpjtV4qjJBU

He's had 4 straight seasons of MVP-consideration-level play (WS>.200, PER~25+, efficient shooting on ridiculous efficiency, big minutes on elite defensive teams), and he's played 78+ games each of those seasons. Last season he had probably the greatest individual season since Wilt, full stop. In the playoffs last year his True Shooting was north of 60% on a 25/5/5/2 line. Cleveland did a good job defending him in game 7, but in the 3 previous game he scored 25+ so its not like he was why they lost the series.

Ignoring, like, 300 games because of a poor single game is p. dumb.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Sacramento is going to be able to sign Harlem Globetrotters in the offseason and that's about it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lockback posted:

If peak Nash played with Durant today, or anytime in the last 5 years, he also wouldn't be the best player on his own team. That hardly makes Curry worse than Nash.
Nash also played on the same team as Dirk, and was clearly worse.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Vlade press conference up
http://www.csnbayarea.com/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

hahhahah Vlade says we are going to try and compete and make playoffs

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Lockback posted:

Ignoring, like, 300 games because of a poor single game is p. dumb.

Mention those Lebron finals in which he was awful to a Cavs fan, to put it in context

he was legit bad in the mavericks finals

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
You obviously can't predict how Curry is going to age or what will happen with injuries or whatever but to this same point in both their careers Curry has been better than Nash to such a crazy degree and his past two years aren't something Nash can come close to touching. It'd take Curry dying right now for this to be an argument and even then...

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

lol Vlade keeps saying best offer best time over and over again

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

culture change culture change culture change

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

hahaha vlade said he had a better offer 2 days ago than the one he accepted

The Jack Donaghy 30 Rock negotiation trick worked on Vlade

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Christ.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

Mention those Lebron finals in which he was awful to a Cavs fan, to put it in context

he was legit bad in the mavericks finals

Its basketball, sometimes matchups play against a player and sometimes players have a bad couple of games in bad moments. It doesn't magically erase their history. I understand that basketball is best remembered as a series or moments, but if people think the last 4 years of Curry have been anything other than completely ridiculously incredible they are pretty much ignoring reality to fit a narrative.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

He said we had to trade now since Cousins' value would just continue to drop

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The GM for the Sacramento Kings is Vivek Ranadivé.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

WhyteRyce posted:

This press conference is gold.

"We had a better offer two days ago"

"This was the best offer that we could get. It's a process"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

did you talk to the players and coach

uh some of them

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Well, poo poo, they had to pull the trigger! The only other times they had to trade Cousins would be every day until Thursday, or the entire upcoming offseason or up until the trade deadline next year!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I TEXTED COUSINS TO CALL ME BACK

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

vlade saying best offer over and over again makes me feel like he's trying to sell me some 98 civic

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Does Curry have even close to the same passing skill and court vision that Nash did, because honestly, I don't think so and am siding with Daltos here.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

we love buddy for his work ethic and energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

vlade saying best offer over and over again makes me feel like he's trying to sell me some 98 civic
Call now and you also get limited time edition Omri Casspi

• Locked thread