Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baron Corbyn posted:

Targeted Facebook ads.

You know who else was born in April?

:hitler:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the curtain thing I rarely open mine because I leave for work before it gets light out and get home after it's got dark so there's never any benefit. As a result I never get around to opening them on non-work days just out of habit, although I do open them sometimes, like if it gets dark in the early evening or when I'm airing the apartment.

Actually that schedule is my pet peeve - my job requires me to work 12 hour shifts, which I have been doing for 14 months, so I don't have a sleep cycle anymore, I just sleep in bursts of a few hours or a few minutes, even if I don't need to be up I still end up waking up at 4:00am as my body clock/circadian rhythm has been hosed sideways.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Feb 19, 2017

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Joburg posted:

My mentally challenged neighbor used to tell me that he saw my cat up on my kitchen counter through the window. I have learned to keep my curtains closed but it sucks :(

yeah the Nazi in my neighborhood told me the same thing, I presume knowingly to make me nervous about him looking in my windows at night heh

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Baron Corbyn posted:

Targeted Facebook ads.

What is so special about April?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

What is so special about April?

those shirts are randomly generated based on what it can mine from your profile. I've seen people sharing poo poo like "PROUD TO BE A WOMAN BORN IN JANUARY WHO LOVES HER HUSBAND AND THE DALLAS COWBOYS" and saying how much they want it, so obviously some idiots pay for these loving awful t-shirts.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Baron Corbyn posted:

those shirts are randomly generated based on what it can mine from your profile. I've seen people sharing poo poo like "PROUD TO BE A WOMAN BORN IN JANUARY WHO LOVES HER HUSBAND AND THE DALLAS COWBOYS" and saying how much they want it, so obviously some idiots pay for these loving awful t-shirts.

Its a (name) thing. You wouldn't understand. I get those all of the time on facebook.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Pretty much facebook

You could've saved time by just posting this

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You could've saved time by just posting this

All time saved by shorter posting would have to go to time spent working. I'd rather not.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Targeted Facebook ads.

It reminds of the shirts from Idakoos.com:

Lemon
May 22, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

On the curtain thing I rarely open mine because I leave for work before it gets light out and get home after it's got dark so there's never any benefit. As a result I never get around to opening them on non-work days just out of habit, although I do open them sometimes, like if it gets dark in the early evening or when I'm airing the apartment.

This might be one of those things I was told as a youngster and never really questioned, but I was under the impression that it was a good idea to open your curtains during the day even if you're not there so that the UV will kill off some of the bacteria festering in your gross, perma-dark lair.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
"Anyways"

and

People who use "anyways" in formal writing and then get absurdly defensive when asked to correct it (by an editor).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rabbit Hill posted:

"Anyways"

and

People who use "anyways" in formal writing and then get absurdly defensive when asked to correct it (by an editor).

One thing that I could be wrong about but bothers me anyways because I was taught in the past that it was bad is starting sentence with "However." Maybe it's actually okay and what I was taught wasn't accurate (or has changed since then), but since I've spent so long thinking it's wrong it still bothers me a lot when I see it.

Also, sometimes it can be difficult to rearrange sentences to avoid having "However" at the beginning. Sometimes you can stick it in the middle (for example "Because he did X, however, he could not do Y" instead of "However, because he did X he could not do Y"), but other times it's awkward to do that so you have to use something else like "On the other hand."

edit: I'm not including uses like "However big it might be, blah blah blah" where it's obviously okay

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Netflix asks every couple of episodes "Are you still watching?" With yes/no options underneath. I think that if you don't select one within like a minute, it should automatically turn off. I fall asleep while watching tv all the time, I don't want that poo poo burned into my screen.

Also, "In the book of Revelations it says..." No. No it doesn't. Because it's Revelation. Just one. One long revelation.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that I could be wrong about but bothers me anyways because I was taught in the past that it was bad is starting sentence with "However." Maybe it's actually okay and what I was taught wasn't accurate (or has changed since then), but since I've spent so long thinking it's wrong it still bothers me a lot when I see it.

Also, sometimes it can be difficult to rearrange sentences to avoid having "However" at the beginning. Sometimes you can stick it in the middle (for example "Because he did X, however, he could not do Y" instead of "However, because he did X he could not do Y"), but other times it's awkward to do that so you have to use something else like "On the other hand."

edit: I'm not including uses like "However big it might be, blah blah blah" where it's obviously okay

Starting with "however, " is fine. IIRC The Elements of Style says not to do it, but more modern style guides are fine with it.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
People who act like self-driving cars are a fait accompli that are literally months away from completely taking over the roads in every country in the world and rendering taxi companies / the act of driving / the need to know how to drive completely obsolete.

I was talking to a woman the other night who has lived in the inner-city her whole life but has recently started taking driving lessons. She said that it's difficult and frustrating trying to learn to drive and she isn't sure why she's bothering 'because self-driving cars are coming' and it was all I could do not to laugh in her face and tell her that the likelihood of self-driving cars becoming a real, viable thing in her lifetime was so vanishingly small it should literally be the last reason not to do something. Similarly, I heard a podcast the other day where a guy was basically giving a eulogy to Uber; saying that it was a great service for its time but 'now that self-driving cars are coming' all the people who work as Uber drivers will have to find new ways to make money. It's so insanely :psyduck: to me that people hear the phrase 'self-driving cars' and just go 'yep, sounds good, can't wait' without taking two goddamned seconds to consider that maybe, just maybe, there are a few obstacles in the way of their driverless fantasy world.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

yo rear end is grass posted:

Netflix asks every couple of episodes "Are you still watching?" With yes/no options underneath. I think that if you don't select one within like a minute, it should automatically turn off. I fall asleep while watching tv all the time, I don't want that poo poo burned into my screen.

Also, "In the book of Revelations it says..." No. No it doesn't. Because it's Revelation. Just one. One long revelation.

I kind of wish I could turn that option off. If I'm trying to keep constant noise going while I do homework or whatever, it's a pain in the rear end.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

yo rear end is grass posted:

I don't want that poo poo burned into my screen.

This hasn't been a thing for 20 years

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

starkebn posted:

I remember hearing some AMOLED phone screens have had issues with it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

starkebn posted:

It kind of is for plasma screens (just not as bad as for CRTs) and some people still use those.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

I kind of wish I could turn that option off. If I'm trying to keep constant noise going while I do homework or whatever, it's a pain in the rear end.

This. Stop loving judging me Netflix.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

burn in takes weeks or months of having the same image

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

starkebn posted:

burn in takes weeks or months of having the same image

Yes, which can happen after falling asleep every night and having the "Are you still watching? Yes/No" in the middle of the screen. My old tv had the Wii's version of Netflix's menu burned into it after a year for the same reason.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that I could be wrong about but bothers me anyways

Ytlaya posted:

but bothers me anyways

:dogbutton:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

Starting with "however, " is fine. IIRC The Elements of Style says not to do it, but more modern style guides are fine with it.

Yeah I looked it up and also found this. But unfortunately I can't stop seeing it as a bad thing, so even if I know it's okay I feel bad if I do it.

I'm sorry :cripes: So ashamed of myself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

doubleposted by mistake

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don't understand how people can live in rooms with just a single overhead light. It's like, the ugliest, most depressing way to light a room, especially if it's not a warm bulb. See also: people who can't "see" color temperature, so their house is all nasty blue/green at night.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't understand how people can live in rooms with just a single overhead light. It's like, the ugliest, most depressing way to light a room, especially if it's not a warm bulb. See also: people who can't "see" color temperature, so their house is all nasty blue/green at night.

How about fluorescent lighting?? Our house is basically an homage to the eighties and we finally just got rid of our heinous fluorescent light fixture in our kitchen. There is another in the downstairs bathroom....noooooo!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

genetic_knockout posted:

How about fluorescent lighting?? Our house is basically an homage to the eighties and we finally just got rid of our heinous fluorescent light fixture in our kitchen. There is another in the downstairs bathroom....noooooo!

Fluorescents are okay in the kitchen, depending on the type, but I've known people who had like, office-style drop ceilings in their bedroom with crappy fluorescents and it's like, why? Why would you do this to yourself? Were you born in a cubicle?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I hate fluorescent lights so much. It always drives me nuts when I get a new officemate that likes to have them on all day. One of our entire walls is a window, we don't need more light. If it's dark, fine, but lol at regularly staying at work after dark.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The grocery store I usually go to just put in new insanely bright LED lighting and it's so bright in there that I can't read the labels on things anymore. When you look at the store at night, you can't see anything through the windows because they are just solid white rectangles. Everyone has been complaining about it but management continues to think that more lighter more gooder.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People who say "now you're thinking with portals" in real life. Actually any video game/meme reference in real life. We're at work and we almost all have PhDs, at least try and not be an embarrassing big bang theory-esque caricature of yourself.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Websites that only work on one browser in 2017. I was using angieslist.com on Chrome to look for driveway contractors. Every time I load a page it would load a white screen. Refresh and it loads fine! Also so many other websites where you try to submit a form and it just does nothing. Then works fine on IE. Chrome has the biggest market share of browsers and has for years now, how the gently caress are websites still designed for IE? :argh:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

bradzilla posted:

Websites that only work on one browser in 2017. I was using angieslist.com on Chrome to look for driveway contractors. Every time I load a page it would load a white screen. Refresh and it loads fine! Also so many other websites where you try to submit a form and it just does nothing. Then works fine on IE. Chrome has the biggest market share of browsers and has for years now, how the gently caress are websites still designed for IE? :argh:

One of the biggest pet peeves I had while in the military.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People who say "now you're thinking with portals" in real life. Actually any video game/meme reference in real life. We're at work and we almost all have PhDs, at least try and not be an embarrassing big bang theory-esque caricature of yourself.

God, the "cake is a lie" jokes. People still make them! Almost any time you see some comment on the internet involving cake there will be 50 replies saying "THE CAKE IS A LIE!! LOL!!"

I totally understand that in most cases this is just the result of awkward teenagers trying to fit in and show that they share an interest with other people, but it doesn't make it any less obnoxious and unfunny. I mean, I was once part of this sort of geek social group back in high school and the first couple years of college, but even back then I remember thinking "I don't understand how randomly quoting media you like is funny, but I'll just smile and nod because I want to fit in."

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

"THE CAKE IS A LIE!!"

I've heard this poo poo a handful of times in real life and each time I've worried just for a moment that I'd end up on the news. It's always squealed by an overweight "nerd girl" who won't shut up about how much she loves videogames and/or constantly brags about her let's play videos.

The game came out almost ten years ago, and that horse was pulverized on day loving one. Stop it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

any "joke" that isnt a joke, just a reference so people can scream "I KNOW WHAT THAT IS"

it's bad enough in films / TV but when it happens in real life ...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The funniest thing about The Cake Is A Lie was that not only did the developers get sick of it, they assumed during development that the iconic meme thing was the round piece of debris that rolls through frame during the endgame screen/in-game cinematic.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I hate warm lighting so much. It makes everything dull and blurry and I can't see properly. My friend has a single warm bulb in her loungeroom and trying to play boardgames at night and differentiating the colours of tokens is a nightmare. I'll keep my house lit like an operating room, thank you very much.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also, the Cake text isn't nearly the funniest thing in the game, just the one that suffers the least out of context. At least when I reminisce about Portal and it's sequel I go for situations or contexts that are actually funny or interesting, like how cool the presentation of the True Villain (Caroline's Anger at Cave Johnson) is or the reason the Lemon speech is so entertaining and powerful.

1) True Villain Points (AKA OverAnalysis :P): GLaDOS is only obsessed with killing everyone because they forced Caroline into her robot frame to act as the root of her AI. GLaDOS herself only cared about doing the science that she was programmed to do, but the resentment basically acted as a virus that corrupted her motives and made the frame murderous. GLaDOS had to delete Caroline completely to stop her effecting the frame, after Aperture Science tried and failed to distract her with cake recipes, random curiosity, speculations about space and an Endless Stream of Bad Ideas, but these only served to annoy Caroline further. GLaDOS only stops hating everyone enough to kill them by purging the source of the virus, which allows her to finally move on after her long irrelevant and targetless anger and just kick the remaining human out unharmed.

2)The Lemon Speech only really works in the context in which it was presented. It is the last gasp of a man who has just realised he has lost everything and it is entirely his fault. He wasted the last of his money on Moondust which then coated his lungs and slowly and painfully eroded them over the course of months. He tried to science it away with new research (With the mantra, when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade) but the famous Lemon Speech is the result of this philosophy breaking down. He has lost all hope entirely and succumbed to pure madness. I honestly found the lemon speech to be quite harrowing (while also being funny at the same time) because this was a once simultaneously brilliant and stupid man reduced to a massive breakdown due to his own hubris catching up with him. Without the buildup, the lemon speech would be meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

cyberia posted:

I hate warm lighting so much. It makes everything dull and blurry and I can't see properly. My friend has a single warm bulb in her loungeroom and trying to play boardgames at night and differentiating the colours of tokens is a nightmare. I'll keep my house lit like an operating room, thank you very much.

That sounds like a problem with your eyeballs.