Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Can we post about tv shows in here? I watched Fargo season 1 recently, and it had a bunch of these. The show was pretty good about indirectly showing emotion and tone and stuff.

- There's a scene where a cop confesses to his boss that he let a guy go who might have been a suspect. The boss is in a bathroom stall with the door closed, you only see the guy talking to the stall. He nervously confesses, the boss asks for clarification and he repeats himself. The boss is clearly angry, and all they have to do to demonstrate that is make him start making noises like he's quickly wiping so he can come out and have a confrontation. Anger shown wordlessly through the squeaking of a toilet paper roll is something I've never seen before and yet seems so lifelike.

- In another scene, a cop is arresting someone and very nervous about him. He handcuffs him and walks him to the car. He briefly looks relieved as he gets him to the door of the car, only to find the door locked and he has to walk around to the other side of the car to get the key. Messing up simple tasks due to nerves seems so rarely done unless it's completely ham-handed, this was subtle enough that I appreciated it.

There's a couple more I wrote down but these are the most memorable two to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That one scene though, whoof.

Which one, though? The one where Juno rapes Dwight Schrute? Or the one where she dies?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nth Doctor posted:

Which one, though? The one where Juno rapes Dwight Schrute? Or the one where she dies?

Yeah. It would have had more comedic potential with John C. Reilly at the helm for both scenes. He would have made it awkward enough to be less rapey.

If we're talking about Fargo talk about the movie it was a movie first and not everyone watches TV. My favorite subtle moment was when the guy was putting Steve Buscemi in the wood chopper and all the snow showed where the blood splatter went. Wouldn't have showed if there wasn't snow.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm not certain the rape scene would benefit from being made less rapey.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah, it as supposed to be rapey and horrible. Making it comically awkward would have been weird as hell.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hmm, yes, the person talking about the woodchipper scene in Fargo in the Subtle Movie Moments thread definitely has a valid idea about how to improve a scene in another movie, and isn't trolling, yep.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope it is a troll cause this sentence is beautifully stupid:

Sponge Baathist posted:

If we're talking about Fargo talk about the movie it was a movie first and not everyone watches TV.

Also Super is one of the lamest most faux-edgy films I've ever seen. WHOA the GIRL rapes the GUY dudes check it cause if people really wanted to be superheroes they'd be CRAZY and SICK cos REALISM

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Super is a lot better of a movie when you're not up your own rear end taking the whole thing seriously. The lead character hallucinated the rape scene and you're a complete idiot if you missed the details indicating that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Out

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Can we instead talk about how Brad Pitt taught himself how not to read in Se7en?
There's a cute little nod to that in the movie WWZ where Brad Pitt is clearly reading the label to a medicine that could prove to be fatal, much like his inability to read in Se7en.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sponge Baathist posted:

the title role was originally written for John C. Reilly.

.... which explains why John C. Reilly turned up in Guardians of the Galaxy. Gunn finally got his man.

There's also a whole bunch of people who appeared in Super who also turn up in Guardians of the Galaxy: Michael Rooker is the most obvious one but there was also Gregg Henry, Sean Gunn, Rob Zombie (voice), Nathan Fillion (voice) and more including some of Gunn's old Troma buddies like Lloyd Kaufman and Stephen Blackehart.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The PAYDAY 2 easter egg in John Wick Chapter 2, you can catch a quick glimpse of a poster with Wolf's mask from the Payday gang.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

.... which explains why John C. Reilly turned up in Guardians of the Galaxy. Gunn finally got his man.

There's also a whole bunch of people who appeared in Super who also turn up in Guardians of the Galaxy: Michael Rooker is the most obvious one but there was also Gregg Henry, Sean Gunn, Rob Zombie (voice), Nathan Fillion (voice) and more including some of Gunn's old Troma buddies like Lloyd Kaufman and Stephen Blackehart.

I remember seeing a guy in the prison scene and thinking: "Was that Mel Brooks?!?"

I had to look it up to find out it was Lloyd Kaufman which makes a lot more sense with Gunn's background, but Kaufman will always look like a younger Mel Brooks to me.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Lego Batman has roughly a million callbacks per minute, but one of my favourites was when the Joker taunts Batman with "I found all of your wonderful toys!", a reference to Jack Nicholson's line "Where does he get all those wonderful toys?" back in 1989.

Basically just read this.

jabby has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Feb 18, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
John Wick chapter 2, I'm pretty sure they took a jab at Hitman when Laurence Fishburen gives him that one gun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MariusLecter posted:

John Wick chapter 2, I'm pretty sure they took a jab at Hitman when Laurence Fishburen gives him that one gun.

They do look like Silverballers, huh.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Inzombiac posted:

They do look like Silverballers, huh.

Also, compared to The Matrix where he asks for lots of guns and gets an infinity armory in JWC2 he asks for a gun (singular). :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MariusLecter posted:

This movie is great, by the way. People should see it in theaters.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Subtle thing in John Wick 2 is that the sommelier is actually also a sommelier

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Just rewatched Mousehunt for the first time in a while, and I'd forgotten how little time is wasted in that movie. There is a scene in the beginning where Nathan Lane and Lee Evans find out that the house that they've inherited was built by an architect called Charles Lyle Larou, and instead of just having exposition when explaining that he was a big deal before he was committed (which makes the house very desirable with a huge potential for a large turnover if auctioned), they just have different characters reacting to the name in escalating tones:

Main characters: Charles Lyle Larou? :confused:

Librarian: *Looking up the name and pointing out the correct section* Charles Lyle Larou :)

Architectural Scholar: *Looking at the blueprints in the parlour of the house, stunned* Charles Lyle Larou! Charles Lyle Larou! I'm standing, in a house, built by Charles Lyle Larou~ :swoon:

Also some clever callbacks, like with (being played by Christopher Walken) Caesar the exterminator's fate: When they are first being left the house in the will, the executor states that the previous owner was found locked in the trunk in the attic. This is exactly what the mouse will later do to Caesar, he is also found in the same trunk, gibbering insanely after the mouse does... untoward things to him that only are mentioned in a recording on Caesars cassette player ("What are you doing... put that down... right now... that tickles..." is a direct quote).

I also like the visual gags with the deranged Catzilla, aka Fluffy, as he fails to capture the mouse also. This amazing scene is a direct allusion to Tom and Jerry, the entire movie is essentially that, but this scene is wonderfully direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOvJ4UFPjzA

I also love the effect of them blowing up the floor by accidentally shooting a bug bomb powerful enough that it also works on mice that was lost by Caesar. It doesn't just explode, there is a corona of flame that forms the shape of the crater before it all just falls straight down. The effect has a hell of a punch - Here is the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I5_zsRI4Zo

I love this dumb movie so much. :allears:

Ha, I loved that movie so much as a kid too. Also until I read this post I didn't remember that Christopher Walken played the exterminator, because when I was 10 I didn't know who he was.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Sponge Baathist posted:

Super is a lot better of a movie when you're not up your own rear end taking the whole thing seriously. The lead character hallucinated the rape scene and you're a complete idiot if you missed the details indicating that.

No way man it was all a hallucination that happened in the microseconds before that one person died.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nth Doctor posted:

Yes the first one.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've mentioned the Coen Brothers before in this thread and all of their films are rife with subtle moments and really clever callbacks.

Raising Arizona with "what's he need, his Diptet?" gets me every time. The isometric drawing of Tim Robbins' hula hoop and how he rotates the drawing of a circle 180 degrees when he's pitching it in Huducker Proxy. The way Anton Chigure wiped his feet on the front porch after he kills Luellen's wife.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Will Arnett in the live action TMNT can be seen making this sandwich:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That makes me really happy.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sponge Baathist posted:

Will Arnett in the live action TMNT can be seen making this sandwich:

E: movies/shows involved in this inception: TMNT, Arrested Development, Clue

E: whoops

Sponge Baathist has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Feb 20, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://twitter.com/arnettwill/status/497743750081552384?lang=en

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Something I only just noticed about the Brave title:

It has a bunch of the main characters hidden in it:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, they don't get the reference because season 4 was a waste of time and incredibly unfunny.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha, they don't get the reference because the show was a waste of time and incredibly unfunny.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
e: never mind, he wasn't on that show.

Pneub has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Feb 20, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Mustard and parmesan on pastrami is pretty good tho.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Something I only just noticed about the Brave title:

It has a bunch of the main characters hidden in it:

Hello FedEx Arrow my old friend~

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha, they don't get the reference because season 4 was a waste of time and incredibly unfunny.

Oh now I know why I didn't get it

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Martin Mull definitely appeared in way more than just season 4.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't think I finished season 4. I assumed it was just someone making a joke about something happening in a movie that wasn't subtle at all.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Martin Mull has played both Colonel Mustard and Gene Parmesan. Characters in season 4 of arrested development can sometimes be seen making mustard and parmesan sandwiches.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I fuckin hate martin mull!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

oldpainless posted:

I fuckin hate martin mull!!!

More like old joyless