Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
It was the best ASW only because it happened in New Orleans due to the NBA being a cool as hell league.

(yes it was very bad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

I appreciate Vlade recognizing this all-star weekend was kinda boring and doing something about it.

The amount of botched dunks last night was surprising. Also, the lack of D in the last minute or two of the fourth quarter.

Kibner posted:

My seats for the night. This was taken at the beginning of the skills challenge. The 3pt contest and dunk contest were done at the goal closest to me.

It looks empty.

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

The flip side is that the Thunder currently have the 7th best defense...

Going by what?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Zogo posted:

It looks empty.

Aren't most of those tickets usually sold as a weekend package? If that's the case, probably a lot of people only show up for Sunday

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Smellyhead posted:

Was this the worst All-Star weekend in history? The dunk contest sucked. One of the guys in the 3 pt contest scored a 9. The All star game never turned into an actual game.
The whole thing kinda sucked...?

Otoh flat earth kyrie, fashion week russ, literally the moment boogie found out he was traded

The ASG is never a real game and if you go into it expecting that I would like to refer you to literally every other ASG

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Kings are keeping Galloway

The raptors should sign Matt Barnes. He could fill up the wing slot they lost with Terrence Ross.

They could really play some long armed lineups against Cleveland's smaller lineups. I want Matt Barnes on my team but there's no room for him.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Zogo posted:

Going by what?

The only metric that matters the eye test

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The thunder are first in the only metric that matters-games lost due to punching a chair

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I don't have vivek's contact information but can someone please tell him, cuz he's probably haven't been watching alot of basketball, that we have a fresh derrick rose who, he may not have known, is a number one pick. That new orlean pick is gonna be what like in the bottom half of the first round so why not trade NO's pick and galloway for derrock rose and our 17 2nd round pick. But wait, if vivek calls within the next sixty minutes we'll throw out the 2nd pick and only trade rose!

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
New Orleans can still sign Cousins at the end of next season for more than any other team - just not for the super max - right? If so, then yeah, he'll resign with New Orleans. I predict they play the Warriors tight in the first round and lose in 6 games this year, get home court in the first round next year and make it to the 2nd round at least. That would be really promising, meaning Cousins would almost have to resign with them, unless he wants to take less money to start over with a new team that isn't likely to be as good as what he's got going on in New Orleans.

The lopsidedness of this deal is stunning, the Kings got nothing for a top 10 player in the league.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Zogo posted:

Going by what?

bballref's defensive ratings adjusted for opponent offense. They fall to 10th behind Charlotte, NOP, and the Heat using per100.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/833537991922577409

(The longest breath anyone has ever taken in the history of time)

Hahahaahahahaahahahaahahahaahahahaahahahaahahahaahah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfrWchX5rAU

There's been a lot of confusion surrounding why Vivek made that move. Well, once Vivek learned Buddy Hield had the highest recorded NP in NCAA history he could resist no longer:

code:
NP	Player			Season	  School
236	Buddy Hield		2015-16	  Oklahoma
230.44	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1966-67	  UCLA
220.96	Doug McDermott		2012-13	  Creighton
216.52	Doug McDermott		2011-12	  Creighton
216.36	Doug McDermott		2013-14	  Creighton
215.36	Derrick Williams	2010-11	  Arizona
211.44	Jaycee Carroll		2007-08	  Utah State
210.8	Oscar Robertson		1957-58	  Cincinnati
208.56	Stephen Curry		2007-08	  Davidson
208.36	J.J. Redick		2005-06	  Duke
College basketball is strange and skewed for a variety of reasons.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 21, 2017

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Cousins loses a lot of money if he leaves NOLA next year and he gets to play with Anthony Davis. I think he'll resign, especially if they make some backcourt moves this offseason.

The Southwest Division becomes even more of a meat grinder. Bleh

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Punkin Spunkin posted:

SO is this year's dunk contest actually worth watching at all or no?

The all star game was kinda dumb tbh

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spoeank posted:

The ASG is never a real game and if you go into it expecting that I would like to refer you to literally every other ASG

It used to be. People used to attempt actual defense:

code:
Year	ASG PFs
2015	9
2005	32
1995	34
1985	57
1975	51
1965	64

Metapod posted:

The only metric that matters the eye test

:laffo:

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

bballref's defensive ratings adjusted for opponent offense. They fall to 10th behind Charlotte, NOP, and the Heat using per100.

I forgot to check that one today.

chunkles posted:

Aren't most of those tickets usually sold as a weekend package? If that's the case, probably a lot of people only show up for Sunday

IDK. It's been so long that the poor Bulls are still waiting to have the UC christened with their first ASG.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The All Star game had Giannis (and Giannis dunking on Steph multiple times leading to Steph lying on the floor at one point). It was good.

Bigs won the Skill competition again. Good.

Shooting contest was lame as it usually is.

And I'll let Dikembe sum up everyone's feelings about the dunk contest

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 21, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

NickRoweFillea posted:

Cousins loses a lot of money if he leaves NOLA next year and he gets to play with Anthony Davis. I think he'll resign, especially if they make some backcourt moves this offseason.

The Southwest Division becomes even more of a meat grinder. Bleh

I think he'll stay. Both out of spite and because he seems like a pretty genuine dude.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sharparoni posted:

I would trade any of these guys for Tyreke and company because according to the image only one of them even plays basketball for the Cavs

Just kidding, who would trade JR

I dunno, your team could probably use a violinist

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah I'm curious to watch the ASG from 2004 to see how it stacks up. I mean I only watch them once a year (if I don't skip them) so I'd be curious to see how they look side by side. People have been saying "they don't play defense!" for the last few decades but it anecdotally feels like its went from playing a token pickup basketball level of defense to just kind of standing out of the way and taking turns chucking/throwing dunks. Athletes are smarter now so I'm assuming they just aren't really interested in in getting injured in an exhibition and defense kinda skyrockets the chances of that, but the last few years it hasn't even really felt much like a basketball game just because the semblance of competition is so low. The coolest moment of the night by far was Giannis annihilating Curry on a put back because surprise, highlights are cooler if they involve some modicum of resistance. Also I have a conspiracy theory that Giannis barely played in the fourth quarter because the other players were annoyed that he was trying way harder than everyone else, fishing for steals and offensive boards and stuff.

Kobe wouldn't have stood for this :colbert: .

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'd love to see New Orleans as the 8th seed against the Warriors, but they've got some work to do. Denver is looking real tough right now

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
They should make the dunk contest trophy unique and you only win it if you do a better dunk than the previous year (or whatever year) and then retire it and start over after like five years.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NickRoweFillea posted:

I'd love to see New Orleans as the 8th seed against the Warriors, but they've got some work to do. Denver is looking real tough right now

A good point. It'll take new Orleans some time to work out the kinks and there are only about 25 games left. It's not forgone they even make it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

NickRoweFillea posted:

Can't believe the Kings would try to screw Malone like that a second time

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It all really depends on what kind of immediate chemistry Cousins and AD have because it usually takes about 20 games for scouting to catch up.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Predictions for how badly they loving wreck the Rockets defense on Thursday? 30 points apiece perhaps?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BWV posted:

Let's play a game. Who is the worst player on your team that is still having a better season than Buddy Hield?

Terrence Jones and Tim Frazier. :v:

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

chunkles posted:

Predictions for how badly they loving wreck the Rockets defense on Thursday? 30 points apiece perhaps?

Yes, and still lose by 22

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

No, separate. People were still milling about because no one gives a gently caress about the skills competition. It got to probably 90% capacity by the time the dunk contest came around.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
This makes Portland's tank even easier.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

roundmidnight posted:

Yes, and still lose by 22

That's fine by me. I don't care if the Rockets give up 139 as long as they score 140. Praise Harden, Praise D'Antoni

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

chunkles posted:

That's fine by me. I don't care if the Rockets give up 139 as long as they score 140. Praise Harden, Praise D'Antoni

(Guy shouting outside MSG) I'D LIKE TO THANK DANTONIO

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Not many pics from Sunday night, but here we go!

A different angle of Champion's Square before the game.

The actual game being played.

The disappointing and boring half-time show.

Giant AD face on Benson Tower that you immediately see when leaving the arena.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
How were the bars when the trade got announced?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Glumslinger posted:

How were the bars when the trade got announced?

You'll have to ask Spacebump for that. I had work in the morning and a nearly 90 minute drive back home.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Zogo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfrWchX5rAU

There's been a lot of confusion surrounding why Vivek made that move. Well, once Vivek learned Buddy Hield had the highest recorded NP in NCAA history he could resist no longer:

code:
NP	Player			Season	  School
236	Buddy Hield		2015-16	  Oklahoma
230.44	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1966-67	  UCLA
220.96	Doug McDermott		2012-13	  Creighton
216.52	Doug McDermott		2011-12	  Creighton
216.36	Doug McDermott		2013-14	  Creighton
215.36	Derrick Williams	2010-11	  Arizona
211.44	Jaycee Carroll		2007-08	  Utah State
210.8	Oscar Robertson		1957-58	  Cincinnati
208.56	Stephen Curry		2007-08	  Davidson
208.36	J.J. Redick		2005-06	  Duke
College basketball is strange and skewed for a variety of reasons.

Jaycee Caroll plays for Real Madrid now!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Dejan Bimble posted:

Jaycee Caroll plays for Real Madrid now!

"I think you mean played," as Vivek reaches for the telephone.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Kings can have Doug McDermott for another mystical vanishing first round pick

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

BWV posted:

Let's play a game. Who is the worst player on your team that is still having a better season than Buddy Hield?

The advanced numbers say even Corey Brewer is having a significantly better season.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
https://twitter.com/Isaiah_Thomas/status/833849682656796673

I'm so ready for more trades

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Lmao why do all my Pacer fan Facebook friends want Mark Jackson for a coach???? Idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

I can't believe Ainge was willing to part with Terry Rozier for Paul George

• Locked thread