Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Not to sound like a sports radio host but I called this when the New CBA came out. The banana boat crowd got themelves huge paydays and everyone else has to find a crack to slide into. Maybe that's fair for the best 20 or so players, but what about the 10 other teams. At least some of them are going to supermax just all star caliber not great players and will be handicapped.

At least there will be more max salary depleting trades and wild stuff every year.

The NBA is going to be a lot more like the late 90s NBA, those huge Allan Houston esque deals, and deferred payment maxes now that the over 36 rule is gone.

We're going to be living in stretch, buyout, trade, chaos city

You need to be all-NBA two of the previous 3 seasons, so I'm not sure who counts as that that you'd call "just all-star talent". If you're landing on the all-nba list that often you're probably a special player.

edit: Quick look, the only guy that is eligible right now (forget about actually have a contract up) that I'd maybe hesitate to give a supermax to is Klay Thompson, and that's still pretty defensible.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'd like to compare this trade to the Rasheed Wallace trade, but Rasheed was legitimately angry at a time when refs were fixing games and had a completely hosed up organization. When he came to detroit, he was still Sheed, just with a good organization, a team identity, and guys to get along with in the locker room.

I think it helps that AD is considered the better player, they're friendly, Gentry is a good coach.

In sacramento there were two poles: Vivek's weirdness at one end and Cousins's petulance and frustration at the other.

Now, Cousins just needs turn his passive aggression, shrugs, snorts, eyerolls, into aggressive aggression and ball.

I'm really loving excited to see the pelicans play.

I'm also a little excited to see if Will he Call he Stein could blossom into the Tyson Chandler/ Larry Sanders esque player we thought he might be able to be if given a chance

Lockback posted:

You need to be all-NBA two of the previous 3 seasons, so I'm not sure who counts as that that you'd call "just all-star talent". If you're landing on the all-nba list that often you're probably a special player.

edit: Quick look, the only guy that is eligible right now (forget about actually have a contract up) that I'd maybe hesitate to give a supermax to is Klay Thompson, and that's still pretty defensible.

Oh that's good. I thought it was under the old provisions of 1 all NBA or 2 all star apperances. That protects teams from themselves to some extent

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 20, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

you know how players have to take an orientation course on like, not leasing a hundred cars with all their new money? well new owners should have to take an orientation where they learn to read a box score and use basketball-reference

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Oh that's good. I thought it was under the old provisions of 1 all NBA or 2 all star apperances. That protects teams from themselves to some extent

Someone actually came out and said they took away all-star as criteria because it makes it harder on the West than the east.

You also get it for MVP or Defensive POY in the last 3 seasons. MVP seems an easy criteria. I guess DPOY could qualify some weird guys historically, but I think defensive players get underpaid in general so that's fine.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jota posted:

The cap is currently estimated to be around $103 million so with Boogie's contract and Jrue's cap hold it could end up being more like $10-12 million in cap space.

Correct, it turns out the pessimistic projections have gotten quite a bit more pessimistic since last time I looked.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Buddy Hield is only five years younger than Charles Barkley?

Yes.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Imagine sticking with the Kings all these years

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Kings told Dallas Saturday night they weren't trading Cousins and wouldn't listen to offers, lol.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ranadive thinks Buddy is going to be the next Curry O_0

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Intruder posted:

Imagine sticking with the Kings all these years

I didn't actively follow the team in the later Maloof years because it became clear they weren't interested in fielding a good product.

I came back after they sold and now Vivek is actively trying to field a good product that is somehow just the same as the Maloofs doing nothing.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
He's probably talking about the original curry outlook where he was going to flame out early from bad knees and become a minimum wage shooter off the bench

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
They didn't have a good product either way with cousins, but now they get to keep their top 10 pick, get no's pick AND have a top 5 pick in buddy. Trust hinkie's process guys

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

They didn't have a good product either way with cousins, but now they get to keep their top 10 pick, get no's pick AND have a top 5 pick in buddy. Trust hinkie's process guys

Don't the sixers get to swap with them?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tae posted:

The Warriors lose if they're forced to start McGee. They are incredibly reliant on Zaza's health if the Pelicans face the Warriors.

The problem is that Cousins and AD both draw fouls well and neither Zaza nor McGee are gonna get the benefit of the doubt. Green and Durant will get more leeway but are just going to get worn out and abused. It's a bad matchup.

OTOH Pelicans can't defend GSW on the perimeter at all so.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Kings told Dallas Saturday night they weren't trading Cousins and wouldn't listen to offers, lol.

I wonder if this is a case of Divac steering Ranadive towards his bizarre desired outcome of getting Buddy

Lockback posted:

Do you have a script that replies this or..?

Nick hasn't slept, and you know when nick hasn't slept he gets silly boy

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

edit: double poast

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

don't slander hinkie you piece of poo poo!!!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Who could have guessed that multiple NBA players confessing to being flat-earthers wouldn't be the dumbest thing to happen this weekend.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Don't the sixers get to swap with them?

Yes and look at this line up.

https://twitter.com/MaxRappaport/status/833558058378940416

God bless Hinkie.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Buddy gonna get up you'll see YOU ALL WILL SEE

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I was joking earlier but...maybe the Kings should hire Hinkie?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Vivek stanning for Buddy Hield reminds me entirely too much of Seinfeld Steinbrenner's excuse for trading Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps

Vivek is actually Seinfeld Steinbrenner

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I saw some stat thing that showed Buddy's closest statistical comparisons are Nik Stauskas and Ben McLemore. He certainly has a type

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
https://twitter.com/Isaiah_Thomas/status/833729748832432128?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
On the Ringer NBA podcast from what sounds like a payphone booth in the 1920s Bill Simmons goes over how New Orleans and LA might in fact have been the only trading partners and if Ingram isn't on the table then, NO is the only partner. It is a bunch of hilarious/ludicrous "ah we never wanted to trade for him anyway" stuff mixed in too but his analysis of the trade partners is mostly decent.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DeimosRising posted:

The problem is that Cousins and AD both draw fouls well and neither Zaza nor McGee are gonna get the benefit of the doubt. Green and Durant will get more leeway but are just going to get worn out and abused. It's a bad matchup.

OTOH Pelicans can't defend GSW on the perimeter at all so.

Jrue and Moore are good guard defenders. That SF spot, though...

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/CarmichaelDave/status/833809917295226880

But that would mean Vlade is lying and Vlade wouldn't lie would he

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/beasleo/status/833823374652559360
https://twitter.com/beasleo/status/833823543624245248

oh shut up you little punk rear end bitch who hates Cousins because he called you out for being a hack.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

WhyteRyce posted:

https://twitter.com/CarmichaelDave/status/833809917295226880

But that would mean Vlade is lying and Vlade wouldn't lie would he

It's only natural that Vlade would be away from his phone for long periods; you can't smoke indoors in California anymore.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The AGENTS are always loving things up
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/833826618221006848

What? You mean Vlade himself lied to Cousins' agents? You'll have to ask them. No comment.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
How much better are the Kings in the alternate universe where the financial collapse never happens and George Maloof becomes the new Sheldon Adelson?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Look, we had to tell several other teams to stop making us offers for DeMarcus because we knew they weren't going to get better as several different parties competed with one another and a deadline for making a trade drew closer

It's simply not how the market works

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

WhyteRyce posted:

The AGENTS are always loving things up
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/833826618221006848

What? You mean Vlade himself lied to Cousins' agents? You'll have to ask them. No comment.

Yeah, reading the full quote about the better offer, it seemed like he blamed and agents for killing it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The SituAsian posted:

How much better are the Kings in the alternate universe where the financial collapse never happens and George Maloof becomes the new Sheldon Adelson?

They sucked drafting and traded picks like candy for bad players back then as well

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

The SituAsian posted:

100% more vanity vodka lines sold in the arena, for starters,

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Tae posted:

They sucked drafting and traded picks like candy for bad players back then as well

Never forget.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Wow in hindsight the Bucks crushed that three way they just hosed it all up afterwards

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So I can actually believe that the trade market was killed by Cousins' agent, and that makes sense. But then don't trade him right now? Wait until other teams feel brave enough to call his bluff, or if Cousins himself changes his mind. You had time.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Nice little wrinkle in this is Boogie getting to work with Alvin Gentry. DAJ improved immensely while he was our OC and he perfected Boguts role in the Warriors offense. Really good at putting bigs in the right position tactically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Vivek's new market inefficiency is ignoring relevant variables when assessing market value. A true thought leader doesn't care about what the market values now but what it will value tomorrow. Kings fans may be mad now but they still get to wake up tomorrow knowing they are in the prescient hands of a true visionary

• Locked thread