Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

smenj posted:

Someone mentioned that they were doing a Katanagatari stream a while back, and it's just reminded me of something I meant to ask a while ago. I'm watching the series with a friend and I've just watched episode 4, and I'm wanting to know if the series picks up at some point. Episode 4 was a bit better than the rest, but the show in general is still pretty boring thus far - it takes forever for anything to happen in any given episode, the fight scenes end far too quickly, and the amount of time people spend talking before/during a fight is approaching Dragonball Z and Bleach levels of bad. It'd be fine if the dialogue was good, but it's not particularly entertaining most of the time either.

The show's decent enough that I'm not planning on dropping it, but given the amount of praise I usually see it get, I'm a little surprised to be enjoying it so little. Any particular episode where the show starts improving?

Er, for me that was episodes 3 and especially 4, so if that's not doing it for you then...:shrug:

Speaking of, Katanagatari Episode 5 streaming tonight, 8PM CST, right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Xinder posted:

it kinda seems like some people are trying to convince me still, but i feel pretty confident i've seen everything i want to see of kemono and i don't think skipping to episode two or skipping around episode 1 is going to change my mind and make me start liking it.

that's exactly the attitude I had, but after being forcefully convinced to watch through episode three I'm now a fanFriend. it's really nuts how much the overall quality dwarfs the first episode's

This is the truest image ever made

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I got infected myself. Currently on episode one. Will report on how symptoms progress.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

smenj posted:

and the amount of time people spend talking before/during a fight is approaching Dragonball Z and Bleach levels of bad. It'd be fine if the dialogue was good, but it's not particularly entertaining most of the time either.

I haven't seen it, but this is a nisio work. The guy literally wrote a battle shounen for Jump and it was still dialogue-focused. Like 99% of the battle powers and their interactions revolved around wordplay.

So you might be sol unless you give more focus to the dialogue

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

smenj posted:

Someone mentioned that they were doing a Katanagatari stream a while back, and it's just reminded me of something I meant to ask a while ago. I'm watching the series with a friend and I've just watched episode 4, and I'm wanting to know if the series picks up at some point. Episode 4 was a bit better than the rest, but the show in general is still pretty boring thus far - it takes forever for anything to happen in any given episode, the fight scenes end far too quickly, and the amount of time people spend talking before/during a fight is approaching Dragonball Z and Bleach levels of bad. It'd be fine if the dialogue was good, but it's not particularly entertaining most of the time either.

The show's decent enough that I'm not planning on dropping it, but given the amount of praise I usually see it get, I'm a little surprised to be enjoying it so little. Any particular episode where the show starts improving?

I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone say that the dialogue of Katanagatari is the weak point before, but fwiw episode 4 is the episode where things start to pick up more, and towards the end of the series things pick up a lot.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I found the dialogue to get better from ep3 on, but it's still nisio and thus basically people babbling about things sometimes completely unrelated to the plot interspersed with the combat. in particular there are some great character episodes (meisai in ep3 and the later ep with the girl who runs a dojo) and the togame/shichika relationship develops nicely through all that. the climax and ending really delivered as well, with the former being almost entirely combat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the diff. between dbz/bleach and katanagatari is that the dialogue is the point of katanagatari. if you don't enjoy it that's fair but it's not trying to pad out its runtime or anything, nisio just loves writing dialogue and will always put that before anything else.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Space Flower posted:

I haven't seen it, but this is a nisio work. The guy literally wrote a battle shounen for Jump and it was still dialogue-focused. Like 99% of the battle powers and their interactions revolved around wordplay.

So you might be sol unless you give more focus to the dialogue

It's not that I'm not giving focus to the dialogue, it's just that the dialogue isn't written too well (or, at least, it isn't with the subtitles I've got). I'd have no problem if it was funny or interesting, but a great deal of the dialogue in a fight is just the participants describing their fighting styles and techniques to one another in overly verbose ways that aren't particularly interesting, and are often describing things we've already seen or had described to us and don't need to hear about again. Even then, I wouldn't mind so much if the conversations were depicted in interesting ways, but so far it's mostly just been the camera cutting back and forth between two characters who are standing, staring at one another. Admittedly though, I might just be spoiled in these aspects by the Monogatari series, which does directing and dialogue far, far better in general.

Even just ignoring problems with fights, the episodes thus far have just felt starved of content at times. Episode 4 was admittedly better about this but I dunno how much things are going to improve.

EDIT: And yeah, same in response to the others who responded - I don't mind dialogue being a focus, and it's something I usually enjoy in most shows, but it just doesn't seem very well-written here at all.

smenj fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 21, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Lol

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kemono wins again

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kemonogatari

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

I've felt similarly towards Nisio Isin's stuff. I think I'm just not on the right wavelength for it so the dialogue all falls flat and feels like it might as well be dead air.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man season 2 of chuunibyou is pretty :stonk:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The combat for katanagatari was never the focus for me, it was always the talking and such leading up to and after the fights. I only really even remember a couple moments from the fights before the final episode. God drat that final episode is good.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Cowwan posted:

I've felt similarly towards Nisio Isin's stuff. I think I'm just not on the right wavelength for it so the dialogue all falls flat and feels like it might as well be dead air.

Almost all the dialog he writes tends to have another level of meaning behind it, which may not be apparent until much later in the story. But, well, not everything is important, so it kind of forces you to sift it through it on your own. But if you zone out entirely, then you'll miss the payoff later and feel even more like it just wasted your time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

poo poo. It sounds like Horizon Zero Dawn is good, so now I've got another long game to add to the pile.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The combat for katanagatari was never the focus for me, it was always the talking and such leading up to and after the fights. I only really even remember a couple moments from the fights before the final episode. God drat that final episode is good.

To be honest, I'm not really thinking the combat is at all the focus, it's just that it was the main thing I was enjoying considering I was finding the dialogue to be incredibly boring or repetitive. Judging by the responses I've gotten it seems that nobody else really thought the same way, so since I normally really enjoy dialogue-heavy shows, I'm guessing whatever subtitles I'm using aren't very good ones.

On a related note - that is, other dialogue-heavy -gatari shows - I'm watching Owarimonogatari, and it's really nice to see someone in a show actually enjoying maths for a change.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

smenj posted:

To be honest, I'm not really thinking the combat is at all the focus, it's just that it was the main thing I was enjoying considering I was finding the dialogue to be incredibly boring or repetitive. Judging by the responses I've gotten it seems that nobody else really thought the same way, so since I normally really enjoy dialogue-heavy shows, I'm guessing whatever subtitles I'm using aren't very good ones.

On a related note - that is, other dialogue-heavy -gatari shows - I'm watching Owarimonogatari, and it's really nice to see someone in a show actually enjoying maths for a change.

You have seen the other -gataris right? owarimonogatari is the latest in a long series of shows.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Droyer posted:

You have seen the other -gataris right? owarimonogatari is the latest in a long series of shows.

Yeah, I've seen the lot up to this point. Bake-, Nise-, Neko-, Season 2, etc. So far none of them have been as good as Bakemonogatari, but Owari- is the best one for ages so far. That said, I'm only like three episodes in, so it has plenty of time to go wrong, like Nisemonogatari did.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

smenj posted:

Yeah, I've seen the lot up to this point. Bake-, Nise-, Neko-, Season 2, etc. So far none of them have been as good as Bakemonogatari, but Owari- is the best one for ages so far. That said, I'm only like three episodes in, so it has plenty of time to go wrong, like Nisemonogatari did.

You seen Hanamonogatari?

That's probably my favorite though I'm probably in the minority there.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

smenj posted:

Owari also has the benefit of beings about the best character in the series.

Oh god ever time Ougi is on screen is just amazing...

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

You seen Hanamonogatari?

That's probably my favorite though I'm probably in the minority there.

Yep - that was definitely one of the higher points of the series as a whole. I'd put Bakemonogatari at the top (particularly towards the end - the last 5 episodes or so, I think?), then it'd probably be a tie between the various good bits of Nisemonogatari, Second Season, and Hanamonogatari. I'd find it hard to rate Nisemonogatari and Second Season since the good bits of them were great, but they also had a bunch of boring/pointless, or off-putting stuff to balance it out (particularly so in Nise-). Owarimonogatari's been really enjoyable so far but I'd have to watch some more to make a judgement, really.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I love how Rabi-Ribi has all these difficulty settings, but it doesn't really matter because the bosses in the second half of the game all become extremely difficult anyways. I hate when games have meaningless difficulty settings.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

an actual dog posted:

Yea I'll assume there's one in the pipeline.

There was one, RIP bad poster

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goons, it's been a rough couple of weeks. Broke up with the woman I considered my life-partner and just today, I lost my job. I need a cheer-me-up. Bad. What's the fluffiest anime I can enjoy?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kemono friends

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sweetness and Lightning

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Goons, it's been a rough couple of weeks. Broke up with the woman I considered my life-partner and just today, I lost my job. I need a cheer-me-up. Bad. What's the fluffiest anime I can enjoy?
madoka magica

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I've always found Azumanga Daioh to be very soothing.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Wark Say posted:

KonoSuba is high quality fluff.

Showa Genroku Rakugo isn't, and just had like the most heartbreaking twist I've seen in a mostly slice-of-life anime in a long time, and a rare twist I didn't see coming at all.

There's plenty of jobs in the sea, don't worry.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

I'd recommend Non-Non Biyori or Hidamori Sketch. Hang in there buddy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

madoka magica
Sadly (funny in a weird way?) enough, that was the last thing I watched with my now ex-girlfriend. Revolution is visually OFF-THE-HOOK but Urobuchi can throw himself into a sword for all I care.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sweetness and Lightning

Davincie posted:

kemono friends
I'll give these a try. Thanks.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Ah hell :(

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Julias posted:

Seconding everything in here.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Woof that sucks, Wark Say. Hope things end up okay

Julias posted:

Yeah, this, or possibly Flying Witch

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

KonoSuba is high quality fluff.

Showa Genroku Rakugo isn't, and just had like the most heartbreaking twist I've seen in a mostly slice-of-life anime in a long time, and a rare twist I didn't see coming at all.

There's plenty of jobs in the sea, don't worry.
KonoSuba is the weirdest thing: I was sick and tired of Isekai/Trapped in another world/Reincarnation fantasy anime/manga/novels, and now I know that there's a guy out there who basically said "Holy poo poo, they're dumb AF". So then he proceeded to say "Hey, me too!". And it's so dumb, it wraps around to being hi-drat-larious. So yeah, KonoSuba is extremely my bag.

I don't want to think about Rakugo in a good while, despite the fact that I LOVED the first season. Thanks, NoWon.

Herbotron posted:

I've always found Azumanga Daioh to be very soothing.

Julias posted:

I remember liking all three. Will re-watch them.

And seriously, thanks for the kind words. :)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

dogsicle posted:

GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class

And this!

And Sketchbook full colour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ore Monogatari is also very fluffy, right?

• Locked thread