Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
maro has said that full-art lands are a marketing decision which makes me worried something about the set is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Why are they reprinting DOMRI RADE in MM2017, let alone making it one of the booster pack arts? :psyduck:

Edit: Why are we getting another god damned Nissa when she was just printed last block?

They want to make Domri Rade worth very little, to punish me for picking them up when they rotated out of standard.

And yeah that's a lotta Nissa.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Nissa is the worst of their protagonists, but as can be seen by WotC's attitude towards standard, relentlessly promoting her in hopes of people suddenly falling in love with generic elf land lady is just business as usual

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mandatory lesbian posted:

maro has said that full-art lands are a marketing decision which makes me worried something about the set is bad

There's two possible explanations which are more optimistic:

1) They're in Amonkhet to draw people back in that the last couple blocks have scared away rather than because Amonkhet itself is bad

2) They're in Amonkhet as a hedge against some particularly ambitious or weird piece of design in the block which could turn out to be extremely cool

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why only one in four booster packs, though?

The reason to be worried about Amonkhet is the jury-rigging they had to do because of the last minute rotation change.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

80s James Hetfield posted:

Hahaha, was it like Fiji or something where the Senator was like "There is a concern if we move too many troops to a single side the island will flip"

Yea, Guam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7XXVLKWd3Q

Too much mana storage on one side.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Max pessimism is that the set is real bad and they are convinced that if they only give out 1/4 the lands then people will have to buy 4x the packs

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rinkles posted:

The reason to be worried about Amonkhet is the jury-rigging they had to do because of the last minute rotation change.

God, imagine if Gideon was about to rotate out. That'd be so great.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I can't believe Ankohmet is already worse than Homelands.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Edit: Why are we getting another god damned Nissa when she was just printed last block?

They're gonna kill her off in Hour of Devesation or whatever it's called, calling it now.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Attorney at Funk posted:

God, imagine if Gideon was about to rotate out. That'd be so great.

I think there's a strong case to be made that it's ban worthy in the round coming up soon, but I doubt they'll do it.

Scrapheap Scrounger and Felidar Guardian are not long for this cold world tho

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Btw, how's this gonna work in draft?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

They're gonna kill her off in Hour of Devesation or whatever it's called, calling it now.

it's gonna be liliana, cause she's the bad guy of the group

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
They're killing off the entire gatewatch, OMG, this is huge... Monkanet is going to be the biggest set in history...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sit on my Facebook posted:

I think there's a strong case to be made that it's ban worthy in the round coming up soon, but I doubt they'll do it.

Relax. It's nowhere near banworthy. It's a powerful pushed Planeswalker but it's not even close to unbeatable and it's not going to show up even the majority of the decks in the format. I'm looking at the top 8 of the SCG Standard classic this weekend and there isn't 1 copy of Gideon.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 20, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Why, because it's good?

Rinkles posted:

Probably the same as foil lands, leave 'em in the pack

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Honestly I think that if they were going to ban Gideon they would've done it in the last B&R update instead of Reflector Mage. It's in the same sort of "not actually too powerful on its own but a key part of decks people are sick of" space. But then I don't think there was a strong case to ban Reflector Mage either, so who knows

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Honestly I think that if they were going to ban Gideon they would've done it in the last B&R update instead of Reflector Mage. It's in the same sort of "not actually too powerful on its own but a key part of decks people are sick of" space. But then I don't think there was a strong case to ban Reflector Mage either, so who knows

Reflector mage would have been super annoying with all the bounce/blink in AER so that's probably why they got rid of him.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Reflector Mage was too beautiful for this world

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Retromancer posted:

Reflector mage would have been super annoying with all the bounce/blink in AER so that's probably why they got rid of him.

God what a dumb loving card. There needs to be a separate list of cards that don't get banned but that are so annoying that it's okay to throw water balloons or something at Magic developers when you see them in proportion to the size of the list.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Same as it did with original Zen I assume. Either everyone takes the land out at the beginning and 1/4 people get a rad bonus, or leave all the basics in to be drafted so you got choose between that late-pack marginally-playable vs a full-art, same as you would with a foil basic.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Soul Glo posted:

Reflector Mage was too beautiful for this world

RIP Skill Mage, gone with Skill Copter and Emrakul, the Promised Skill.

And now people want Gideon, Ally of Skill banned?

Why not make this game a bunch of coin flips?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

There's a reasonable chance that the full-art will replace the normal land in the pack.
Don't get me wrong, some people wills till want to hoard the full-arts, but if I'm right, it'll be taken out along with the token, as standard.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Save it for Duel Decks: Dent vs Chigurh

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

The long-awaited return of Krark, coming this spring, to amonkhet

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

GeneX posted:

The long-awaited return of Krark, coming this spring, to amonkhet

Krark gives this post one thumb up

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

They're killing off the entire gatewatch, OMG, this is huge... Monkanet is going to be the biggest set in history...

Messed up but they have to clear the way so Bolas and Ugin can kiss and marry each other.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Amonkhet's second set is going to be a gimmick set like Legions. But instead of every card being a creature, every card will be a Planeswalker.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Kill Nissa and use the opportunity to bring back Elf Supremacy Nissa as a BG walker TIA

My fear with the creation of the Gatewatch as a story concept was that we'd just see the same jokers over and over again, but I'm being proven correct sooner than I thought.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
They'll make a bad guy group too

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The 1 in 4 land thing is because I presume there will be 3 regular arts and 1 full art so the count matches the normal set. So each land will be just as rare as a specific art of land in any other booster pack.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

They'll make a bad guy group too

the Gatecrashers are gonna throw the coolest parties

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

C-Euro posted:

Kill Nissa and use the opportunity to bring back Elf Supremacy Nissa as a BG walker TIA

My fear with the creation of the Gatewatch as a story concept was that we'd just see the same jokers over and over again, but I'm being proven correct sooner than I thought.

With the whole "Bolas Planeswalker" reference I wouldn't be surprised if we get Bolas' corrupted version of some of our favourite heros...

B/U Jace, B/R Chandra etc..

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mummies

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
are there going to be more mummies than working stiff? Will vengeful pharoah get the mummy creature type alongside a reprint?!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's good she keeps the incense lit since that must smell awful.

I also look forward to the "how are her legs positioned" analyses but it won't be as fun as the Olivia Voldaren art.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's just comic-book-spine viewed from a different angle.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Sickening posted:

Want to know the reprints? Travis Woo has you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr5D4kKrn0Q

Griselbrand
Lili of the veil
Cavern of Souls
Grafdiggers cage
Omniscience
Engineered explosives
Chalice if the void
Blood Moon
Voice of resurgence
Craterhoof behemoth
Karn, Liberated
Batterskull
Spells kite
Surgical Extraction
Inkmoth Nexus*
Mox opal
Scapeshift
Valakut, the more pinnacle
Crucible of worlds
Grove of the burn willows
Horizon canopy
Damnation
Ancestral vision
Infernal tutor
Group's vengeance
Through the breach
Auriok champion
Oblivion stone
Ensnaring bridge

(no way that is a legit list)

Yeah, basically all of those cards are modern staples or at least played in popular decks and are in need of reprints. There's no way they'd put them in a MM set.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Why are they reprinting DOMRI RADE in MM2017, let alone making it one of the booster pack arts? :psyduck:

Because it's not played in modern, duh...

just rust posted:

I wonder if WotC realizes that you can use those full art basic lands in formats other than standard.

lol

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Liliana looks like she wants to kill all SeeD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I know that "use undead as servants" isn't exactly the least obvious thing in the world, but that picture feels like a knockoff of Sultai, right down to the fruit basket

• Locked thread