Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

guess he really is gonna go work at infowars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

guess he really is gonna go work at infowars

How often do liberals get blamed?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
And now Alex Jones gets Trump's ear whenever possible. Outstanding!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The moral arc is long but trends positive. Milo finally got his comeuppance after what he did to Leslie Jones.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Don Lemon did a segment on Milo with Rick Santorum and Jennifer Granholm. Santorum did the whole "not conservatism, not my party" thing and called him a provacateur. Lemon asked why Conservatives defended him when liberals said the same things and Rick naturally didn't answer. Granholm pointed out that Bannon employed him and Trump has tweeted support of him and Rick naturally didn't answer. Then Granholm asked them to move on because Milo is a "parasite" and all they're doing is giving him the attention he wants. So they talked about something else.

I think Milo's 15 minutes are running out.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

The moral arc is long but trends positive. Milo finally got his comeuppance after what he did to Leslie Jones.

I must have missed that somehow, but can someone give me the long and short of the Leslie Jones thing? All the Google results look like they're all as convoluted as what actually happened.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Zipperelli. posted:

I must have missed that somehow, but can someone give me the long and short of the Leslie Jones thing? All the Google results look like they're all as convoluted as what actually happened.

As a gay man, I don't find Leslie Jones attractive. Also, she ruined our Ghost Busters with her feminism and blackness. Go, legions of Twitter followers!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Phone posted:

As a gay man, I don't find Leslie Jones attractive. Also, she ruined our Ghost Busters with her feminism and blackness. Go, legions of Twitter followers!

What a fuckbag

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think he also lied about losing his checkmark. There's some stipulation that you lose your verified status if you disable your account for any reason, and he disabled his account for 5 minutes, then whined about how he was being maligned by the liberals.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Zipperelli. posted:

What a fuckbag

It should be noted that actually got him banned from Twitter, a near impossible thing to do.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zipperelli. posted:

A lot of dickheads took offense to the all women Ghostbusters. Milo jumped on that and targeted Leslie Jones for abuse calling her a man among other things. He encouraged his followers to attack her and she was barraged with racist and misogynistic attacks until she quit Twitter. Twitter then banned him for hate speech. He ran around claiming he did nothing wrong and was targeted for being a gay conservative all while laughing at the racist and misogynistic (or whatever calling her a man or trans person is).

I just learned that my phone autocorrects "fuckheads" to "dickheads". That's odd.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
You know what I never understood? All the crazy uncles and YouTube commenters and the like said a great many racist things about Barack Obama, but it pales in comparison to the unbridled turboracist poo poo they would say about Michelle. Never really got why.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

CubanMissile posted:

You know what I never understood? All the crazy uncles and YouTube commenters and the like said a great many racist things about Barack Obama, but it pales in comparison to the unbridled turboracist poo poo they would say about Michelle. Never really got why.

They were attracted to her, and it made them hate her even more.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CubanMissile posted:

Racism enhance by misogyny?

Plus she kept reminding people they were fat and making their kids fat. Some people REALLY don't like when you tell them how to live and raise their children. Even if they're unquestionably right.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/833817667333140480

So a buddy of mine clued me into this, and gave me info on the only other source outside a Norwegian tabloid. Sputnik News. The story was 2 hours ago, with no info anywhere except Dagbladet, Sputnik and Prison Planet. And, apparently, the pictures themselves are from years ago.

So expect this going forward. Far right wing media is going to increasingly become a propaganda outlet of the Russians.

Edit: Also found sources on a lot of iffy websites out of Norway, and Zero Hedge, who if I recall has Russian ties. Nothing on Swedish news sites or Swedish social media.

KiteAuraan fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 21, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think Yiannopolous has had a shitstorm headed his way for a long time. But I also think this says something about the right, as he was brought down in this case by the right -- not the left, which has been trying and failing to bring him down for awhile with no success.

This guy, a senior Breitbart reporter, had this to say earlier:

https://twitter.com/stranahan/status/833860824066248704

Now, this guy is a disingenuous snake and a close friend of Steve Bannon. But he also said a few revealing things.

One is that Milo was a "free speech guy" and implied that he was getting above his station and his role. Stranahan also took umbrage at Milo claiming credit (apparently) for Trump's victory, implication being that people with more power and influence were not pleased by that. Who does this British queer think he is? Milo needed to be taught "humility" and -- amazingly -- Stranahan justified this punishment as a form of Christian ethics.

There are some alt-righters who claim this whole thing was a setup. I believe Milo said exactly what he said. But I wouldn't rule out a setup at least in the timing. His appearance on Maher was a disaster. So to clip his wings, he gets promoted with the CPAC invitation and then the pedo comments immediately start circulating among the conservative magazines. That's enough pressure to kibosh his career and kill his book deal. He needed to rise to a certain level before he could be brought down.

Another thing -- him being a "free speech guy" is less useful now that the right is in power.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I should also emphasize that his appearance on Bill Maher was a disaster. The Pepe frog people who are just into chaos were fine with it, but that's a relatively small group, and there were a lot of comments from righties out there -- who didn't really know who Milo was -- along the lines of Milo being an idiot or a freak.

Remember that Maher pulls in 4.1 million viewers a week, which is bigger than anything on Fox News.

I was having coffee with my mother today who was introduced to Milo on that show, and her reaction was "oh god he's a little creep!" He was useful on the college campuses a year ago but he's no longer useful, and his profile could be counter-productive to the goals the Republican Party and its various organs are trying to achieve now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The conspiracy theories seem kinda silly to me.

He was getting reflexively defended by the right because they reflexively defend everyone on their side and he had lined up with them with the whole Trump and Bannon wave.

Then CPAC invited him because they always invite reprehensible people and have a long history with the "alt right" and white nationalists. But that gave the establishment Conservatives a reason to actually pay attention and it doesn't take long to realize Milo is nothing more than an indefensible troll and shock artist.

I'm not even convinced the Maher thing was anything other than coincidence, although the timing of it might have meant that a lot of Conservatives first time seeing him was there. This just happened because he got high enough in the Conservative world that they started paying attention and realized who he is. And there were no liberals involved so their "11th Commandment" reflex never kicked in.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Racism enhance by misogyny?

Plus she kept reminding people they were fat and making their kids fat. Some people REALLY don't like when you tell them how to live and raise their children. Even if they're unquestionably right.

It's the former, mostly.

People like my parents would have loved that if a stuffy white Republican were doing it: finally kids are learning how to sit down, shut up, listen to authority, and eat their goddamned vegetables again, and no dessert until your plate is clean we don't waste food, we need to get these liberals who want to pamper and coddle children out of here. Oh wait it's a black woman? That's tyranny, kids are unique special little flowers who deserve pizza and hot dogs every day, look at them rebel and throw her food in the trash, that'll show Michelle, kids rule the school!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

STAC Goat posted:

The conspiracy theories seem kinda silly to me.

He was getting reflexively defended by the right because they reflexively defend everyone on their side and he had lined up with them with the whole Trump and Bannon wave.

Then CPAC invited him because they always invite reprehensible people and have a long history with the "alt right" and white nationalists. But that gave the establishment Conservatives a reason to actually pay attention and it doesn't take long to realize Milo is nothing more than an indefensible troll and shock artist.

I'm not even convinced the Maher thing was anything other than coincidence, although the timing of it might have meant that a lot of Conservatives first time seeing him was there. This just happened because he got high enough in the Conservative world that they started paying attention and realized who he is. And there were no liberals involved so their "11th Commandment" reflex never kicked in.
The speed by which it happened after the Maher thing, and the reasons given by Stranahan, make me think there was something going on. To clarify, I don't think he was put on Maher as a setup, just that doing T.V. appearances at that level function as a series of tests in media world.

(In some cases, for instance, if you're writing for a magazine -- even on a freelance basis -- and are invited to do a T.V. hit based on something you wrote, the editors and quality control people may or may not allow it if you're not T.V. tested.)

And Milo flunked the Maher appearance. The fact that he was promoted to be a keynote speaker at CPAC a day later -- and was "reportedly given more stage time than any of the 60 or so other guests scheduled to speak at CPAC" (which is a big chunk of the right's political and media heavyweights) seems so foolish that if it wasn't because of outright incompetence I would assume it was a decision deliberately designed to fail.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Wikkheiser posted:

I think Yiannopolous has had a shitstorm headed his way for a long time. But I also think this says something about the right, as he was brought down in this case by the right -- not the left, which has been trying and failing to bring him down for awhile with no success.

This guy, a senior Breitbart reporter, had this to say earlier:

https://twitter.com/stranahan/status/833860824066248704

Now, this guy is a disingenuous snake and a close friend of Steve Bannon. But he also said a few revealing things.

One is that Milo was a "free speech guy" and implied that he was getting above his station and his role. Stranahan also took umbrage at Milo claiming credit (apparently) for Trump's victory, implication being that people with more power and influence were not pleased by that. Who does this British queer think he is? Milo needed to be taught "humility" and -- amazingly -- Stranahan justified this punishment as a form of Christian ethics.

There are some alt-righters who claim this whole thing was a setup. I believe Milo said exactly what he said. But I wouldn't rule out a setup at least in the timing. His appearance on Maher was a disaster. So to clip his wings, he gets promoted with the CPAC invitation and then the pedo comments immediately start circulating among the conservative magazines. That's enough pressure to kibosh his career and kill his book deal. He needed to rise to a certain level before he could be brought down.

Another thing -- him being a "free speech guy" is less useful now that the right is in power.

To be fair, Stranahan is the closest thing to a conscience Brietbart has, with the understanding that's a low loving bar. He's been fired or left the company a couple times for bucking the Bannon party line.

This is what the world has come to, with me (sort of) defending loving Lee Stranahan

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Wikkheiser posted:

The fact that he was promoted to be a keynote speaker at CPAC a day later -- and was "reportedly given more stage time than any of the 60 or so other guests scheduled to speak at CPAC" (which is a big chunk of the right's political and media heavyweights) seems so foolish that if it wasn't because of outright incompetence I would assume it was a decision deliberately designed to fail.

I think it's helpful to refer to Hanlon's Razor here: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wikkheiser posted:

I don't think it's all that mysterious. The right wants to control higher education and censor opposing views obviously, and projection is effective for them so any school they don't control they accuse of censoring their views. Anyone who wants to make a buck can start spewing hate speech and when they're not allowed to speak somewhere they cry their freedom of speech is under attack and they get money and fame from right-wingers. Even if they are allowed to speak they'll lie and say they weren't, doesn't matter. And it generally works, conservative voters get a persecution complex and radicalize against any views outside their bubble, the right-wing trolls get money, and pearl-clutching liberals write op-eds in the New York times about "the politically correct left: the new Hitler?" and "are millenials intolerant snowflakes?"

This only works as long as you say filthy horrible things conservatives generally agree with though (even if they think you're going too far), step out of line and take a position they disagree with and they'll turn on you in a second, the last thing they want is actual free speech and freedom of debate. There's been a civil war over this clown for a while between the conservatives who like Uncle Toms, and conservatives who hate gays too much to even to use a willing tool like Milo.

Getting invited to CPAC was probably just a bridge too far for the latter group, and he's been a shock jock his whole career so I'm sure he's said tons of things that offend conservatives and when they started looking whoa turns out he's such a piece of poo poo that he went to bat for child molestation on camera.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

I think it's helpful to refer to Hanlon's Razor here: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
That is very much a possibility! But I also act under the operating assumption that the Republican Party cares for nothing except power. And they won't reflexively defend everyone on their side if it gets in the way of that goal. Milo was always tolerated by them because he was useful to them -- that's it. Once he was no longer useful he could be discarded.

VitalSigns posted:

Getting invited to CPAC was probably just a bridge too far for the latter group, and he's been a shock jock his whole career so I'm sure he's said tons of things that offend conservatives and when they started looking whoa turns out he's such a piece of poo poo that he went to bat for child molestation on camera.
Yeah totally. And you are probably more likely to be right -- him getting invited was a bridge too far -- than me. My theory is just that inviting him, knowing that it would be a bridge too far, was the setup. It's like "how the gently caress do we get rid of this guy? Ah haaa. I see." The oppo seemed ready to go.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 21, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CPAC has always gotten reprehensible alt right types and idiots on board so Milo being booked is totally normal. And he was starting to bust through into the mainstream with Maher and the book as examples so it makes sense for him to get more time over people like Carly Fiorina or Lou Dobbs. Looking at the list of names the only people bigger that him are the White House folks, Hannity, and maybe Ted Cruz and Scott Walker. But in the broader conservative picture those guys are recently embarrassed at the hands of Trump while Milo was one of the breakout stars of Trumpism.

It just feels like the culmination of events. Milo gets attention with the Leslie Jones stuff. He gets some legitimacy in the rise of Trump, Breitbart, and the alt right. The violence at Berkeley gets mainstream attention from the right who wants to paint liberal protestors as violent even though the Milo college protests have been going on well before Trump. Milo keeps rising with a book and some "mainstream" appearances like Maher. CPAC and the right glop on to elevate themselves but more attention means more scrutiny. And it takes all if a few hours to take down Milo once you actually pay attention to what he's saying. Which conservatives never actually cared about during all that previous stuff.

Some conspiracy on the right to take down Milo doesn't make a lot of sense since he still would have been useful in their anti-protest and university crusade and paying lip service to "see, we don't have gays.". And CPAC isn't the group to do it because CPAC has never given a poo poo. They're the ones who were giving Trump speaking time for years before his campaign run. They were one of the steps towards his rise to power.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 21, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't recall a single CPAC Guest abrasive as Milo.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

The word chimp or gorilla was used a few times in there somewhere.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

KiteAuraan posted:

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/833817667333140480

So a buddy of mine clued me into this, and gave me info on the only other source outside a Norwegian tabloid. Sputnik News. The story was 2 hours ago, with no info anywhere except Dagbladet, Sputnik and Prison Planet. And, apparently, the pictures themselves are from years ago.

So expect this going forward. Far right wing media is going to increasingly become a propaganda outlet of the Russians.

Edit: Also found sources on a lot of iffy websites out of Norway, and Zero Hedge, who if I recall has Russian ties. Nothing on Swedish news sites or Swedish social media.

Are they trying to wag the dog?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Rexicon1 posted:

No he's just loving done. Only people OK with pedophilia will be caught associating with him. And those people need to all be put on a registry.

Gamergate types and hardcore trumpists have decided it's all a conspiracy somehow perpetuated both by the liberul media and Republican in name only conservatives. The gamergaters saying it's an attack on them, somehow linked to pewdiepie (youtube videogame guy who got banned for acting like a nazi).

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

PST posted:

Gamergate types and hardcore trumpists have decided it's all a conspiracy somehow perpetuated both by the liberul media and Republican in name only conservatives. The gamergaters saying it's an attack on them, somehow linked to pewdiepie (youtube videogame guy who got banned for acting like a nazi).
He didn't even get banned. Disney dropped their contract with him.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

I don't recall a single CPAC Guest abrasive as Milo.

edit:

I guess this was the RNC, not CPAC.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 21, 2017

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

beatlegs posted:

I guess Coulter's gonna have to step back in to take up the slack for the right's edgy liberal trolling quota until a new star descends.

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/833835240632233984?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I remember when the black camera woman covering CPAC got peanuts thrown at her and called an animal and the response from them was meh. That place is a cesspit and Milo is the perfect guest for them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rexicon1 posted:

No he's just loving done. Only people OK with pedophilia will be caught associating with him. And those people need to all be put on a registry.

This is like 100% of gamergaters so don't expect his support to wane too much. He's just done being a mainstream darling.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Deified Data posted:

This is like 100% of gamergaters so don't expect his support to wane too much. He's just done being a mainstream darling.

A lot of it came about because the establishment right knows its primary demographics are literally dying and it needs some new ones. The alt right and young internet crazy people looked like a good target but now all of their utterly abhorrent ideas are becoming more public. Turns out most people aren't OK with destroying feminism, allowing pedophilia, and bringing back 19th century style racism.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

yep, Coulter still deserves a painful and slow death. good to see that hasn't changed

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

To be fair, coming from Coulter, grouping Milo with refugees and undocumented immigrants is what passes for strong condemnation.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sir Tonk posted:

yep, Coulter still deserves a painful and slow death. good to see that hasn't changed

"Go scare some crows" :allears:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

To be fair, coming from Coulter, grouping Milo with refugees and undocumented immigrants is what passes for strong condemnation.

i really just want to know where this 'libs will protect your pedophilia support' thing comes from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Sloober posted:

i really just want to know where this 'libs will protect your pedophilia support' thing comes from

Liberals want to help refugees, who are muslims, and muslims are pedophiles