Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I think George is talking about this quote, from "End Of The World"

quote:

You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you’re going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take the time to imagine the impossible. That maybe you survive.

Shortly after this is said the sun expands and destroys the Warth. I think he just paid attention up to the part about eggs and beef then got distracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'm on our treadmill and gizmo is watching me and I'm pretty sure he's mocking me

E: wait this isn't the good thread

iajanus fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 20, 2017

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

AgentF posted:

These "politicians only squabble all day" types need a sense of history instead of shrugging their shoulders and deciding that all politicians are equally bad. The pervasive pattern is that there is a neutral issue, then the Libs politicise it and attack Labor with it, then Labor defend it (what else should they do? concede to every new attack?) and then it looks like two equal sides squabbling with each other.

And 75% of the media present it as Labor blocking our brave Liberal heroes, which doesn't help.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

gently caress I hate Australian Mainstream/Commercial media.

Pauline Hanson or one of her moron candidates does something disgraceful: "Oh that's our Pauline/One Nation! What laughs! Here's Pauline again with an awful sound bite. Remember Pauline is the only alternative to Labor and Liberals"

The Greens: Either deathly silence or OMG RABIT LEFTIES WANT US TO EAT MUNG BEANS AND poo poo IN A HOLE while totally misunderstanding most of the Greens policies or handwaving them off as "extremist leftie views".

And this isn't just the Murdoch media, Fairfax, ABC, SBS and online sites like Buzzfeed and sometimes even New Matilda are guilty of this.

AgentF posted:

These "politicians only squabble all day" types need a sense of history instead of shrugging their shoulders and deciding that all politicians are equally bad. The pervasive pattern is that there is a neutral issue, then the Libs politicise it and attack Labor with it, then Labor defend it (what else should they do? concede to every new attack?) and then it looks like two equal sides squabbling with each other.

This is an important pattern because it shows you how politicians and media reinforce each other to keep their gig humming along. It's the he-said she-said fake objectivism the media loves, and it blunts issues major party politicians don't want to actually deal with. You've got Hanson for comic relief, and you can ignore the Greens because they're no fun at all and only want to discuss boring things like policy no journalist can be bothered understanding themselves much less present in an understandable format to their audience who desperately need such clarity.

Also, if Tingle on Late Night Live is right, everyone in the Libs is backing away from Morrison and pretending he's a lone wolf, 1 because it embarrasses Turnbull, but 2, misses an opportunity to bash ALP on their banking RC policy and now they have to wait for the electorate to forget about it before they can try again.

iajanus posted:

I'm on our treadmill and gizmo is watching me and I'm pretty sure he's mocking me

E: wait this isn't the good thread

Always post cats especially Gizmo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"Now there's a man who'd like to gently caress his daughters"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
On Ten TV this morning two of their clown shoes were raving about going on a blind date with Hanson. :psyduck: :suicide:

Huge nazi racist LOL! I'm not completely complicit in popularising a dangerous bigot. Hate speech is free speech! LOL! Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi.

Speaking of: I just finished Peter 'wanker' Fitzsimon's Fromelle and Poziers. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. If this is an example of populist scholarly historical documentation going forwards then :bang: The poo poo smear presents the source information including actual quotes from the diggers then goes on to contradict them by making all the standard conclusions - Good shots because they were all farmers (from Footscray). The jingoist nationalism that people who claim to support OW TRUBBS is 100% anathema to the people who went and did the dying. They would all flinch at 'Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi' and flag capes. Abbott wanting to refocus on the Western Front shows just how far down the rabbit hole we are. To a man all those who were there said it was much worse than Gallipoli and the British command were effectively murderers. I think we should be focusing more on that too Tony. But oh whoops we live in the counter factual age and the actual opinions of the people you are asking us to venerate are an inconvenience at best.

gently caress YOU.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I live in Footscray and I'm a crack shot.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Jamie Briggs joins PricewaterhouseCoopers

Former federal minister Jamie Briggs will still want to forget 2016, the annus horribilis in which he quit Malcolm Turnbull's frontbench over an incident in a Hong Kong bar, then lost his seat of Mayo, in the Adelaide Hills, to his own former staffer (and Nick Xenophon's candidate) Rebekha Sharkie at the July 2 poll.

It was a spectacular political flame-out, to be sure, but a sad one given his youth and manifest talent. His contemporaries Kelly O'Dwyer and Josh Frydenberg now sit at the Cabinet table.

But things are looking up: Briggs has joined professional services firm PricewaterhouseCoopers as a director. According to a note circulated on Monday to partners, Briggs will lead an advisory push into infrastructure and cities (his former ministry) and South Australia's favourite, defence. PwC's Adelaide office now has about 200 people in it, but is just one local serial killer away from being empty.

The big four accounting firms like their ex-pollies, with KPMG heavy on Laborites – former AWU boss Paul Howes, Anna Bligh's former chief adviser and NBN executive Mike Kaiser and former trade minister Craig "Boombox" Emerson.

http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/jamie-briggs-joins-pricewaterhousecoopers-20170219-gugmth

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Paul Howes can stay at KPMG forever as far as I'm concerned.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

PwC's Adelaide office now has about 200 people in it, but is just one local serial killer away from being empty.

http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/jamie-briggs-joins-pricewaterhousecoopers-20170219-gugmth

What the gently caress is this

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Australia wants us to take their Muslims and can't even stop terrorist planes over there. Sad.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

JBP posted:

I loving hate doctor who it's trash.

Its a kids show how do people not see this

It is intended for under 12s ffs

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hiddenmovement posted:

Its a kids show how do people not see this

It is intended for under 12s ffs

Are you having a go mate?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

JBP posted:

Are you having a go mate?

No I'm kind of agreeing with you in that adults who watch it without children present need to re evaluate their lives a bit (see : my little pony)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mamma mia here we go again.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

hiddenmovement posted:

No I'm kind of agreeing with you in that adults who watch it without children present need to re evaluate their lives a bit (see : my little pony)

Go watch blink with some kids and see how that goes.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

"Now there's a man who'd like to gently caress his daughters"

lmaooooo

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Zenithe posted:

Go watch blink with some kids and see how that goes.

my 11 year old son has been watching it and thinks it's cool, I've got no problem with that

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Dr who is a fun pulpy sci fi thing, just like star gate and Star Wars and Star Trek, also Blink is a legitimately good episode of TV it's just a shame that it meant the writers continually tried to recapture that by reusing the monsters or clumsily attempting to copy it's mood.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Who keeps funding this series imo

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
More like Doctor Poo

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Doctor who isn't high art but it's enjoyable for what it is, and better than most offerings on commercial TV.

Especially reality tv :itwaspoo:

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Dr who is a fun pulpy sci fi thing, just like star gate and Star Wars and Star Trek

I'll fite u m8. Don't try to drag high art down to that level.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Quote not edit fffff.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Before I let you all continue squabbling on about Doctor Who lets all agree Blake's 7 was better.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Ora Tzo posted:

Before I let you all continue squabbling on about Doctor Who lets all agree Blake's 7 was better.

This had shitter effects than old Who, which I think we'll all agree is an impressive feat.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Magog posted:

Agreed! Voyager is the pinnacle of sci fi television.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Magog posted:

Deep Sleep Nine?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ora Tzo posted:

Space 1999 rules them all.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Zenithe posted:

This had shitter effects than old Who, which I think we'll all agree is an impressive feat.

Blake's 7 is a wonderful mix of hysterical performances and very edgy political drama. It does pose the question: once authority has debased itself so far as the Federation has, is the only moral response terrorism, or freedom fighters? Also has the distinction of not just one MacGuffin but two! Apart from joking about the presentation (this is a series that not only scavenged actors and props, but production staff from Who), it has very serious themes despite being entertainment.

I very much doubt any public broadcaster would get away with such a drama now, they'd self-censor it to death.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

I very much doubt any public broadcaster would get away with such a drama now, they'd self-censor it to death.
Thank gently caress for getting us back on track because that right there is scary poo poo. Even our 'independent' public broadcasters wouldn't dare suggest the system is rotten to the core. Welcome to 1984 (2017 edition).

Why have a ministry of love when the ministry of hate is doing so well.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-21/vietnam-asylum-seeker-returned-by-australia-speaks-of-beatings/8288226

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

New Essential poll is out, some stuff on PHON preferences in WA and on renewable energy.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Michael Sukkar has made a good start espousing affordable housing policy.

"Get a high paying job, I had two houses by 35"

He is on a salary more than 2.5 times the average nationally, and is paid $270 per day to stay in his own property in Canberra

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Michael Sukkar has made a good start espousing affordable housing policy.

"Get a high paying job, I had two houses by 35"

He is on a salary more than 2.5 times the average nationally, and is paid $270 per day to stay in his own property in Canberra

Sounds like he was correct then :smug:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ora Tzo posted:

drat fine show and holds up remarkably well too. As has been suggested already it's a sad testament that you could never make something like it these days without heavy censorship of the core theme.

Imagine all the killjoys screaming about a terrorist protagonist who is anti authoritarian.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Star Wars is about terrorists, they just made a new one. I haven't seen it but I assume the terrorists trying to overthrow the rightful government are still the main characters.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Pwnstar posted:

Star Wars is about terrorists, they just made a new one. I haven't seen it but I assume the terrorists trying to overthrow the rightful government are still the main characters.

Rogue One is. Force Awakens is weird because they didn't want the victories of the OT to be ignored but also wanted to retain the 'underdog against an evil empire' feel and the end result is kinda like a movie about how great the Contras were, weren't they just the most heroic people?

Most likely this is some kind of setup for episode 8 to say 'no you are wrong and dumb, idiot', like 2 and 5 did to 1 and 4, but it just feels weird in isolation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Star Wars actually has the worst track record of all favorite nerd-sci-fi series, while Doctor Who might have the best, sorry.

And on the slightly more on-topic part of this discussion, while the Doctor is totally just a white man traveling around solving other people's problems because they can't do it themselves, he is generally written as pretty anti-authoritarian and rebellious. He's a pretty good 'working class hero' actually, even though he doesn't always act like one. He was an absolutely lovely Time Lord, but got so sick of their society's general FYGM state (with no upward mobility, because good loving luck getting the old guard to lessen their grip on power when they live forever) that he stole a TARDIS and flew off to go actually help people.

• Locked thread