Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macnult

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I figure since I post so many drawing of my wife, you guys would like to see her art.

This one is called 'The Tide Against Moloch' - 3" x 4" pen and paint on card

'Danger and Dangerous Assumptions' - Acrylic on board

She's well good, and her style, composition and subject matter all differ from mine so greatly that there is almost no competition between us, which is a thing that frequently breaks up artist couples.

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnult

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

today i designed some namedrafts for weaving. i'm working on making some upholstery fabric for my new couch since beans ate our current couch and now it has a big hole. anyway.

here it is, this is the basic design of what the fabric will look like but not blue and white:

the fun part about it is that there's a secret message in the fabric. namedrafts are essentially a way of encoding a secret message within the warp and weft thread intersections to create a pattern that can then be read by another weaver that cracks the code (or if you make up your own code, as most are likely to do--it's your own personal joke.) this one used a standard single alphabet (A-Z, 26 character) code, single repeat, reverse* pattern in overshot on 4 shafts. it spells out "eat poo poo and die," then reverses it and mirrors it, in 26 threads. fun!

i really like the pattern even if it's secretly telling me to do things i'd rather not do.

Work in progress

can't wait to see the finished result!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

plugging along. Just posting these in case anybody is curious about my painting process

HotSoapyBeard

I'm a really cool nice dad
HAIKOOLIGAN

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I've been obsessively making linoprints. Nothing beats carvin' that buttery rubber!

Lino is so fun, they're cool!

I put some things I cut out of paper on the wall

Professor Shark

I find with linocuts that it's really difficult to call "done" on a project, since there is always a little bit more to improve on... I'm calling this guy done for now, though!

DavidAlltheTime

All David...all the TIME!
As if I haven't learned that stamps go backwards. AS IF.

I think I will turn this into a fridge magnet.
By the way, has anyone used this darker, harder, thinner lino before? I like the way it cuts (really clean, less bits), but the ink I have just beads on it. What gives?

Professor Shark posted:

I find with linocuts that it's really difficult to call "done" on a project, since there is always a little bit more to improve on... I'm calling this guy done for now, though!

Very cool! And I know what you mean.. Linocutting is really bringing out my perfectionist side (not that you can tell from my examples posted here).

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i almost always used the darker, harder lino when i pulled prints. what ink are you using? if it's a dye ink and not a regular printers' ink it might bead up. a thicker viscosity ink is probably better for the lino panels over the latex type panels. like i said upthread though, i haven't done block prints in a long time so poo poo might've changed since i did them!

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Recent drawing I did.

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Recent drawing I did.

you have a beautiful family

RazzleDazzleHour

Here's Some poo poo

Macnult

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Here's Some poo poo

i like this poo poo. the first image is really cool and the "unspeakable horrors" in the third picture made me laugh

ghosthorse

...you forget so easily...
I want to share some stuff I've done semi-recently if that's cool. I borrowed someone's drawing tablet to try it out and then made bad pun-based Spider-man edits about Uncle Ben Grimm

Macnult

ghosthorse posted:

I want to share some stuff I've done semi-recently if that's cool. I borrowed someone's drawing tablet to try it out and then made bad pun-based Spider-man edits about Uncle Ben Grimm

lol these are good

Rushi

by Smythe
guys i read every update completely amazed - but i just try to not spam the thread with bumps which is dumb because all your art is great and I should :hai:

Rushi fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 15, 2017

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Hope this is ok. Not exactly drawings but I do paint models from time to time. Not as well as our resident spaceman though

This is a ship from the cartoon show "Rebels". It's a fast ship, so I wanted to make it look like a racecar~

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

MrWillsauce

ablution

Robot Made of Meat

Chill la Chill posted:

Hope this is ok. Not exactly drawings but I do paint models from time to time. Not as well as our resident spaceman though

This is a ship from the cartoon show "Rebels". It's a fast ship, so I wanted to make it look like a racecar~

Art is art, Chill. And art is good.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Scathach

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

hamjobs posted:

today i designed some namedrafts for weaving. i'm working on making some upholstery fabric for my new couch since beans ate our current couch and now it has a big hole. anyway.

here it is, this is the basic design of what the fabric will look like but not blue and white:

the fun part about it is that there's a secret message in the fabric. namedrafts are essentially a way of encoding a secret message within the warp and weft thread intersections to create a pattern that can then be read by another weaver that cracks the code (or if you make up your own code, as most are likely to do--it's your own personal joke.) this one used a standard single alphabet (A-Z, 26 character) code, single repeat, reverse* pattern in overshot on 4 shafts. it spells out "eat poo poo and die," then reverses it and mirrors it, in 26 threads. fun!

That is all kinds of awesome. Man I can't wait to have room for my loom and wheel

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I actually finished this last week, but I'm so very, very lazy that I never posted it.

Piso Mojado

I actually finished this last week, but I'm so very, very lazy that I never posted it.

jesus christ dude

Piso Mojado

question for the painters. how do you know when a peice is done?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Piso Mojado posted:

honest answer: when you're so sick of it you can't paint any more. also, when the things you need to fix outweigh your abilities. for example, I've been agonizing about getting the woman on the far left right to the point where I erased and re-drew her about half a dozen times. At a certain point I just had to throw my hands up and say, "welp, better luck next time."

Manifisto

this is so great

I can't decide whether I want to marry an astronaut lady or a painter who will paint me as an astronaut

Macnult

looks good! thanks for posting your progress with it a little while back too

Rushi

by Smythe

Piso Mojado posted:

There is this really popular saying I've heard art teachers use, which is something like;

"Making art takes two people, one artist to make the art and someone else to kill the artist when the work is done."

Its honestly really normal for an artist to hit their limit on something, have it look real decent, and just fr*ck it up realizing when its a little too late. If the work is savable they possibly display it. (This sounds way more morose than it means - but its something I've been speaking to classmates and instructors about lately, in fact I had a teacher say this to me when I had the exact thing happen during a self portrait)

Also old phrase I heard in Civ3 (or was it 4) paraphrased; "the artist knows when a work is done not when theres nothing to add - but no more to take away".

And somewhere in that jumble of words is a rough partial answer to that very hard question :3: nobody fr*ckin' knows, even the greatest biggest most planned paintings really just hit a point where they had to ship

edit: oh my L*RD i swear a lot when talking about art :3:

Rushi fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 25, 2017

----------------

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Rushi posted:

There is this really popular saying I've heard art teachers use, which is something like;

"Making art takes two people, one artist to make the art and someone else to kill the artist when the work is done."

Its honestly really normal for an artist to hit their limit on something, have it look real decent, and just fr*ck it up realizing when its a little too late. If the work is savable they possibly display it. (This sounds way more morose than it means - but its something I've been speaking to classmates and instructors about lately, in fact I had a teacher say this to me when I had the exact thing happen during a self portrait)

Also old phrase I heard in Civ3 (or was it 4) paraphrased; "the artist knows when a work is done not when theres nothing to add - but no more to take away".

And somewhere in that jumble of words is a rough partial answer to that very hard question :3: nobody fr*ckin' knows, even the greatest biggest most planned paintings really just hit a point where they had to ship

edit: oh my L*RD i swear a lot when talking about art :3:

also, it's honestly hard to know when you're done when you first start out. I can futz with a piece literally forever, so I'll save small images of the work if I'm doing digital art or take pictures if I'm painting. Very often I will rework and rework something for days and find that when I look back at the pictures it's either not better or sometimes it's not as good and I have to work to get it back. over time, though, you kind of get a feel for how much time you're spending on something vs. the amount of progress that's being made. also, when I start something I have a pretty good idea of what I want the finished piece to look like. when it looks like that, I stop with the major changes and work on the little details and color fixes as a sort of end-game that I've learned to rely on.

Macnult

Wasn't too thrilled with this, but I sold it to someone today so that was nice.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Wanted to draw something fun

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

these are all so awesome, like she's escaping from the psychiatric hospital

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Luvcow posted:

these are all so awesome, like she's escaping from the psychiatric hospital

yes, exactly

DavidAlltheTime

All David...all the TIME!

Macnult

I really like the top left one

Professor Shark

Can furniture concept art be considered art? This is my next project:

It's a foot stool/ step stool/ sitting-on-after-mowing-the-lawn-and-drinking-a-beer stool I want to make. I'm going with the design on the very bottom of the page, I found some recast vintage bottle openers I want to attach to a couple sides.

Slammy

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Hello new wall paper.

any place to buy your works, Godspeed?

Robot Made of Meat

Professor Shark posted:

Can furniture concept art be considered art? This is my next project:

It's a foot stool/ step stool/ sitting-on-after-mowing-the-lawn-and-drinking-a-beer stool I want to make. I'm going with the design on the very bottom of the page, I found some recast vintage bottle openers I want to attach to a couple sides.

I like these drawings very much. Have you noticed that you have a handle fetish? Anyway, it's good, and it's indeed art.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Professor Shark

I had not considered my possible handle fetish before, I bet there's a few hours of psychology in there.

But seriously, I had trouble figuring out a way to put them on that was practical and cool looking. DIY goons suggested going with the side handle configuration, but the the integrated handle/leg one looks cooler imo, it reminds me of how on boats or subs they have handles that act as guards for sensitive equipment, so I may go with that.

If I ever get around to it I'll post pictures, I'll call it functional art!

Rushi

by Smythe
Interior design is 100% art and this is super interesting O: :3:

----------------

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Hey it's more doodles from BF and I

Rushi

by Smythe
h*ck yes

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rushi

by Smythe

digital version of the screenprint I recently did of my cat :D

the colors are a little different irl

Rushi fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 17, 2017

• Locked thread