Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

jivjov posted:

I'm still fond of the cute little color and logo effects they put on transformation phrases and finishers.

it's ok to like bad things. as long as you recognize that they're bad.

in this case very very very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mikeycp posted:

it's ok to like bad things. as long as you recognize that they're bad.

in this case very very very bad.

It's jivjov

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Kyurangers is just going too fast for me. I'll watch next week's ep since it seems Taurus will have stuff going for him, but i'm getting ready to drop it, even if the visuals are amazing and Golden Josuke is cool.

Unless you really really hate it, I'd at least wait til the full crew is assembled. I don't know how toyetic this one will be, but I think once they have all their members they hopefully can calm down a bit and let them breathe. I think the cast has way too much potential to drop based on the early episodes- after all, ToQger only became great during its last arc and while Zyuohger was fun all the way through it really became outstanding during and after the Whale arc. Of course, don't watch it if you don't enjoy it, but I think Kyuranger at least has a somewhat (from a business/kids marketing angle) understandable reason for moving so fast this early on. Once they've shown off their many many toys, they can build the story.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Lucky's not nearly as bad as Takaharu, but I really don't like him so far.

The rest of the cast has potential, but they need some actual time in the spotlight.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Unless you really really hate it, I'd at least wait til the full crew is assembled. I don't know how toyetic this one will be, but I think once they have all their members they hopefully can calm down a bit and let them breathe. I think the cast has way too much potential to drop based on the early episodes- after all, ToQger only became great during its last arc and while Zyuohger was fun all the way through it really became outstanding during and after the Whale arc. Of course, don't watch it if you don't enjoy it, but I think Kyuranger at least has a somewhat (from a business/kids marketing angle) understandable reason for moving so fast this early on. Once they've shown off their many many toys, they can build the story.

It shouldn't be that long anyway as Orange debuts next episode and I'm guessing Pink won't be far behind (Raptor was already part of the crew from the start, she just hasn't gotten her powers yet). After that I expect things to start slowing down for a bit until the remaining two (that we know of so far at least) Rangers join up later on.

So far I'm liking this show overall. Lucky still kind of gets on my nerves but I'm starting to warm up to him, Champ and Balance are definitely my favorites so far though (though Naga wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 21, 2017

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Larryb posted:

So far I'm liking this show overall. Lucky still kind of gets on my nerves but I'm starting to warm up to him, Champ and Balance are definitely my favorites so far though (though Naga wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting).

This is a good statement.

The robots, including Raptor, are the best parts of this show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That is fair. Looks like next ep is the full crew, so I'll at least give it a shot until episode 5.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's jivjov

yeah, but i was trying to be nice.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
You guys are so nice to me.

The logo and color effects are completely unnecessary, but they tickle the child-like sense of glee in the back of my brain just right.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Kuuga trip report:

+ The OP and ED were really good
+ The rider was a pretty cool guy. Godai helped the show not get too grimdark, and he was just a nice bro you wanted to cheer for
+ It was good to see a lot of the subplots that get introduced and then set aside in the first half brought back and expanded on in the second half
+ Godai coming up with ways to use all the different forms to fight the monsters was a pretty cool aspect
+ I liked the monster plot. It's cool when bad guys have a motivation beyond 'graahhhh rule the world!'
+ It was nice to see the police start being effective toward the end of the show

- Too bad the monster plot really never goes anywhere.
- It takes the plot about 30 episodes to go beyond monster of the week territory.
- The rules for when Godai's finisher would work or not seemed very arbitrary
- Man that last battle was lame
- Man that whole ending was lame
- Are they just terrified of showing an actual relationship on screen? They basically hook two characters up through one of the subplots and then in the last episode there's sort of maybe a subtle hint that they MIGHT be together in the ending but not really? Come on. Let the foreign guy hook up with the science girl. It's fine.

Next up is Agito

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Getsuya posted:

Kuuga trip report:
- Man that whole ending was lame

gently caress off.

Just two powerful dudes sluggin it out in a winter storm. A short and simple show of brute force and strength, the only thing N-Daguva-Zeba actually cared about. Kuuga desperately trying to outpace Zeba not because of the love of violence that followed Zeba's tribe but to defend humanity, to make this whole struggle mean something. It's the capping point for the entire arc of Godai and the Monsters' stories.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 21, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Did... you watch a different Kuuga from everyone else?

Like even for people I know who dislike Kuuga, the ending battle is held up as the strong point.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

The logo and color effects are completely unnecessary, but they tickle the child-like sense of glee in the back of my brain just right.

I like you

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I thought the best battles in Kuuga were the ones where he had to think and use the different forms creatively and Ichijou backs him up with badass sniping. The last battle was a generic boys' manga passionate punch-fest. Plot-wise and trope-wise I get it, I really do, but that doesn't mean I like it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If the thing you got from the last battle was 'generic boy's manga punch fest'

I just don't even know what to say to you

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
A-anyway on to Agito.

... I hope my deep hatred of endings where the guys just punch each other a bunch doesn't come back to bite me in other seasons.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Getsuya posted:

A-anyway on to Agito.

... I hope my deep hatred of endings where the guys just punch each other a bunch doesn't come back to bite me in other seasons.
Agito's ending feels pretty flat, but I love the characters! G3 is one of my favorite secondary riders.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a question for you about the Kuuga ending. Just, indulge me on this.

Did you think it was supposed to be cool? I know you didn't like it, but what do you think the intent of the whole thing was

Also I can assure you, no, there is not a single other final fight in Kamen Rider, or Tokusatsu in general, even in super hero works that I can think of off the top of my head, that goes like that one.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Burkion posted:

Did you think it was supposed to be cool? I know you didn't like it, but what do you think the intent of the whole thing was

Also I can assure you, no, there is not a single other final fight in Kamen Rider, or Tokusatsu in general, even in super hero works that I can think of off the top of my head, that goes like that one.
Eiji and Ankh duking it out in the water?

e: Yusuke vs Chu from yu yu hakusho

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

I like you

Low bar

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RealFoxy posted:

Eiji and Ankh duking it out in the water?

e: Yusuke vs Chu from yu yu hakusho

Neither one of those are final fights, nor do they do the same thing that Kuuga did.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Burkion posted:

Neither one of those are final fights, nor do they do the same thing that Kuuga did.
They did the same thing, they just weren't final fights tho.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Burkion posted:

Sure! I don't want to come across as a dumb troll with a bad opinion so I don't mind discussing it in more depth. I wouldn't have minded a cooler final fight, but I get that they were going for a more emotional one. But, with how much they built up the possibility of an internal struggle of Godai vs. the evil potential of his own powers I was expecting something more like that. Like, they make the viewer afraid that even if Godai wins the fight he could still lose by losing himself to the violent power he was wielding. But nothing like that happens. I didn't want it to go all grimdark or anything but I do feel like they no sold Godai's internal struggle and I wasn't invested enough in his external struggle with the Last Boss because I didn't really think the Last Boss was a very interesting character.

But at this point I assume I just missed something, or misinterpreted something, considering everyone's reaction.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 21, 2017

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Finally watched episode 1. What's the total number of times Lucky said "lucky"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHBHH3gZCtY

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I don't think I'm gonna be watching Kyuuranger if Lucky continues to exist. He drags the other, way more interesting members of the team down.

At least the bit in episode 2 where they have him throw the dart to decide where to go next was funny.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Deleter posted:

I don't think I'm gonna be watching Kyuuranger if Lucky continues to exist. He drags the other, way more interesting members of the team down.

At least the bit in episode 2 where they have him throw the dart to decide where to go next was funny.

I think he's fine? He was gonna die if Balance hadn't saved him, so it's not like a Takaharu scene where he would have been like "cool thanks for the monologue" and then busted out of the chains himself.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with Lucky yet. It's still pretty much that whenever something lucky happens to him the universe makes him eat poo poo right after.

'I found two Kyurangers randomly! OH poo poo ONE OF THEM BETRAYED ME!?'

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Re: Kuuga, the violence becoming part of Godai's nature was frequently talked about, shown in episodes like the porcupine grongi, and illustrated by the last fight being just a fist fight - the last grongi was even laughing throughout thinking he had won, not by defeating Kuuga but by bringing out Ultimate Kuuga.

I think I have similar issues of "missing the point" with regards to Ryuki's ending, but TV-Nihon is the only source and I was kind of watching it less intently and more to get it over with by the end. Everyone seems to like the ending and get more meaning out of it than I did.
--

I haven't really had any issues with Kyuranger other than talking about Lucky.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I think I have similar issues of "missing the point" with regards to Ryuki's ending, but TV-Nihon is the only source and I was kind of watching it less intently and more to get it over with by the end. Everyone seems to like the ending and get more meaning out of it than I did.

I haven't seen a single person praising Ryuki's ending. I can't imagine anyone praising Ryuki's ending, at least, not without cutting the actual ending and finishing where it should have done so, with Ren dying in his chair as his wish is fulfilled and his girlfriend wakes up from her coma, thus ending the Rider War with a 100% death toll instead of a terrible retcon that makes the whole series pointless.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Re: Kuuga, the violence becoming part of Godai's nature was frequently talked about, shown in episodes like the porcupine grongi, and illustrated by the last fight being just a fist fight - the last grongi was even laughing throughout thinking he had won, not by defeating Kuuga but by bringing out Ultimate Kuuga.

But I don't think the fist fight by itself was enough to really climax the whole plot. You don't see Godai conquering that darkness or anything. It's just a fist fight and then it's over. I wouldn't have minded the fist fight if something had come after it. Some kind of sign of Godai winning his struggle. Instead we get the final episode which, again, I feel completely no sells the conflict.

Also, I tried watching the TVN version of Agito while I wait for the other group's version to finish downloading and drat. I don't know what they did to the sound but it sounds crappy for some reason. Also they left 'Aah mou!' untranslated which is both bizarre and hilarious. Also for a group so obsessed with direct translation they sure get some lines magnificently wrong. In less than 15 minutes I already understand every reason people hate this group.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Getsuya posted:

But I don't think the fist fight by itself was enough to really climax the whole plot. You don't see Godai conquering that darkness or anything. It's just a fist fight and then it's over. I wouldn't have minded the fist fight if something had come after it. Some kind of sign of Godai winning his struggle. Instead we get the final episode which, again, I feel completely no sells the conflict.

Also, I tried watching the TVN version of Agito while I wait for the other group's version to finish downloading and drat. I don't know what they did to the sound but it sounds crappy for some reason. Also they left 'Aah mou!' untranslated which is both bizarre and hilarious. Also for a group so obsessed with direct translation they sure get some lines magnificently wrong. In less than 15 minutes I already understand every reason people hate this group.
Excuse me, Japanese is a sacred language, and just because we understand their true intent better than you baka gaijin doesn't jesus christ I can't even write this poo poo facetiously

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

jivjov posted:

i appreciate you, jivjov.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Getsuya posted:

Sure! I don't want to come across as a dumb troll with a bad opinion so I don't mind discussing it in more depth. I wouldn't have minded a cooler final fight, but I get that they were going for a more emotional one. But, with how much they built up the possibility of an internal struggle of Godai vs. the evil potential of his own powers I was expecting something more like that. Like, they make the viewer afraid that even if Godai wins the fight he could still lose by losing himself to the violent power he was wielding. But nothing like that happens. I didn't want it to go all grimdark or anything but I do feel like they no sold Godai's internal struggle and I wasn't invested enough in his external struggle with the Last Boss because I didn't really think the Last Boss was a very interesting character.

But at this point I assume I just missed something, or misinterpreted something, considering everyone's reaction.

Here's the thing about Kuuga.

Kuuga is not cool. Kuuga is about a dork who loves people and is a dork about it. He's a big ole dork that entertains children and has practiced, and made business cards about, a bunch of meaningless tricks he can do. He's not exactly happy, and he's not stupid, but he is just a really nice person who doesn't care what people think about him and only wants to help people feel better.

Godai is not a cool person ever. He's sweet and nice and caring. He'll also fight if he feels like he has to, even though it goes against everything he believes in, even though it utterly tears him up inside.

The reason why this is brought up is because the Grongi are not cool. Nothing in Kuuga is 'cool'. The action scenes are downplayed, they're more down to earth and brutal, shot in a more subdued style.

Kamen Rider Amazons has far more brutal fights, but they're shot in a very cool way. They're meant to be a spectacle. Kuuga is not. Kuuga is about the cost of power, the horror of escalation, and the pain of violence- both the obvious of getting hurt, and more importantly, hurting others.

The final fight between Kuuga and the ultimate Grongi purposely eschews rider kicks and fancy choreography and flashy powers because it's not about that. It boils down to who these two people are.

Zeba is the Grongi personified. He is what every Grongi aspire to be. And what do we see him as, in the end? A psychotic, laughing blood crazed fool, who takes pleasure in beating, and being beaten, to death. His actions across the series are kept in the dark because up until the last few Grongi we aren't meant to really get how pathetic they are. He wants humanity to become like Grongi, to abandon their morality and goodness, and embrace violence. It's why Rose is so enamored with the Detective- she sees him as an ideal human to surpass the Grongi.

Zeba and Kuuga's final conflict is actually brought up super early in the series, when his sister talked about how as a child, Godai would fight bullies while crying his eyes out. He would win, and he would fight for good reasons, but it hurt him to hit another person.

Cut to the last episode, and that's exactly the conflict and how it plays out. One, a crazed murderer with no goals other than death and enjoyment, and the other, a man who just wants people to smile. One laughs while the other cries as they beat each other out of their super awesome special super forms into boring human bodies- and still keep fighting until Godai, crying his heart out, beats Zeba to death.

It's not done in a flashy way, or in a way that's meant to pump you up, because that goes against everything Kuuga has been building up. Violence is never good.

It is some times necessary. It's also why it is the most brutal and bloody fight in all of Kamen Rider barring Shin. It's meant to be sad and uncomfortable.

That doesn't mean you're going to like it. That's my problem with Kuuga, as much as it is a problem- Kuuga is not a very FUN show. It never wanted to be. Kuuga has a message and the entire show is built around that message. It's why his power ups nuke a chunk of Tokyo and why the second to last fight is mostly off screen and leaves thousands of innocent people burned to death in the wake. Why the Grongi are so ugly and vicious, being little more than bored serial killers led by a child who revels in bloodshed and slaughters his own people for not being violent enough.

I enjoy it for that reason. It's rare to find a show that dedicates itself to its message that much. And if you don't catch onto what the show is trying to do, which is easy enough, it can be weird and anti-climatic.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Okay, there it is. That's the thing. The one thing I was missing. I didn't realize when I first watched it that Godai was crying during that last bit. That definitely changes everything. I chalk it up to a lovely encode and me thinking he was just scrunching his face up and gasping in pain and exhaustion, but I went back and watched it just now and yeah he's definitely sobbing there at the end. That really changes the whole emotional impact of the scene and makes it all work. And I think you can easily see how missing that one aspect could really ruin the scene for someone.

I'm glad we discussed this because I probably never would have noticed that otherwise. I'll make sure to pay more attention next time (and get a better quality video).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Getsuya posted:

Okay, there it is. That's the thing. The one thing I was missing. I didn't realize when I first watched it that Godai was crying during that last bit. That definitely changes everything. I chalk it up to a lovely encode and me thinking he was just scrunching his face up and gasping in pain and exhaustion, but I went back and watched it just now and yeah he's definitely sobbing there at the end. That really changes the whole emotional impact of the scene and makes it all work. And I think you can easily see how missing that one aspect could really ruin the scene for someone.

I'm glad we discussed this because I probably never would have noticed that otherwise. I'll make sure to pay more attention next time (and get a better quality video).

It's cool man. It's a great detail that's SUPER easy to miss if you don't have a good video file for it.

The entire time, he's just bawling his eyes out because he does not want to be doing this. He doesn't want to be punching some person to death.

But he has to. This is why I was super confused when you compared to to a typical punch fest that you'd see in manga and anime so I figured you had missed something.

Or you just didn't like it which would have been fine too

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah Godai crying while literally beating another man to death with his bare hands was a one-of-a-kind ending and even though it's not particularly cool, I appreciate it a lot for what it's going for. Especially when you consider how viscerally brutal the scene was for a sunday morning kid's show.

And I agree that the show's old-school J-drama style direction doesn't help sell the central themes as well as it could because a lot of the most relevant and telling scenes are actually very subdued. I think a lack of subtlety would've helped there, if I'm being honest. Like Burk mentioned, it can be easy to miss the themes. They certainly went over my head the first time I watched it, up until I saw the ending and everything sort of clicked into place.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kuuga is a very different beast from pretty much every Rider show that came before or after it (though Shin kind of comes close). In fact, the actual Kamen Rider portion of the show is more secondary than anything else, usually just shoved in at the end of an episode and wrapped up in the beginning of the next (the final episode in fact is one of the only times I've seen in Tokusatsu where there are no costumed action scenes at all). It's also the only Heisei series to only feature one Kamen Rider, every show afterwards had at least two.

I honestly wouldn't mind them trying another show in that style again one day, though it's doubtful they could pull it off seeing as there's a lot more emphasis on selling toys these days (of course, that was true of the original shows back in the 70s as well, it's just become a lot more overt).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 22, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okay, so I've been watching Mighty Morphin in conjunction with this podcast I listen to, and we're in season 2, and I gotta ask: Did the Dairanger monsters have some kind of eye theming or motif going on? Because a lot of them just have one prominent eye, and the first couple episodes that featured Dai monsters had several closeups of those eyes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay, so I've been watching Mighty Morphin in conjunction with this podcast I listen to, and we're in season 2, and I gotta ask: Did the Dairanger monsters have some kind of eye theming or motif going on? Because a lot of them just have one prominent eye, and the first couple episodes that featured Dai monsters had several closeups of those eyes.

Yeah Dairanger monsters are objects with a single eye, mostly. Though there were some exceptions like the lipstick monster.
Maybe to distinguish from the season before last's Jetman's objects with scary toothy faces

I find it kind of odd that the monsters in Dairanger are not only cyclopses, they have titles and positions of power and human forms, it has a weird "dehumanizing themselves for power" feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Waffleman_ posted:

It's kinda like how the Orgs in Gaoranger have the whole Horn theme going on

• Locked thread