Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Don't forget the veterans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

ocrumsprug posted:

Don't forget the veterans.

Congrats on getting the thread's 31,200th post.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Bob White passed away. If you haven't seen it, this is a really good documentary about the CAW's split from the UAW.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jim-balsillie-innovation-ip-the-house-1.3984904

quote:

The upcoming federal budget has been dubbed the innovation budget in some Ottawa circles, but the founder of the Centre for International Governance Innovation says it doesn't mean much if the Canadian government won't heed calls to implement an intellectual property strategy.

"Innovation without a national IP (intellectual property) strategy is philanthropy. You invent it, and invest in it, and others get the benefits," said Jim Balsillie, one of the founders of Research In Motion, the Canadian company responsible for the Blackberry smart phone.

"The most important thing, if you want this to be an innovation budget, is to have a national IP strategy...Just because you invent it, it doesn't mean you get the money for it."

guys, Jim Balsillie, ex ceo of RIM, founder of New Economic Thinking~ has some opinions on innovation :laughdog:

right an IP strategy is going to ensure ~unicorns~ like hootsuite can 'scale' up

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/02/16/blackberry-market-share_n_14798544.html

quote:

Well, at least it can’t get any worse.

A decade after the iPhone and Android smartphones began eating into its sales, BlackBerry’s share of the mobile operating system market has been reduced to zero.

IT research firm Gartner’s latest report on the state of the global smartphone market lists the BlackBerry operating system’s share of the market as 0.0 per cent, thanks to rounding. The company’s actual share is 0.0481 per cent.

but it's not losing any more money right

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle34086481/

quote:

Letting Bombardier ‘crash and burn’ would be a disaster for Canada

BARRIE MCKENNA
OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail

Condemnation was harsh and predictable when Ottawa wrote a big cheque this month to aircraft maker Bombardier Inc.

Critics derided the $372.5-million interest-free loan as another case of the federal government pandering to Quebec, and worse, handing a gift to two unworthy wealthy families who control the company.

That may well be the gut reaction of many Canadians.

But there is a parallel narrative here. The federal loan is about shoring up a financially weak company so it can continue to do all the sorts of things this country needs. Bombardier invests heavily in research and development, exports most of what it produces, has a highly skilled and well paid work force, and sustains a vast network of suppliers across the country.

Let’s debunk a few myths.

It simply isn’t true that the latest loan is solely about helping one province and one company. Two-thirds of the loan amount – nearly $250-million – is earmarked to support the costly development of Bombardier’s Global 7000 business jet, which will be built in Toronto. The remainder of the funds are for the C Series, a 100-to-160-seat commercial aircraft, assembled in Mirabel, Que.

It’s equally misleading to characterize the loan as a transfer from taxpayers to the Bombardier and Beaudoin families, who control the Montreal-based transportation company. Of course, they’ll benefit if Bombardier’s stock price recovers. But the immediate beneficiaries of the federal money are the company’s 21,000 Canadian workers and its network of more than 1,000 suppliers across the country, including 350 in Ontario.

Critics say the federal government should cut off Bombardier and let the company fail. Forget the business of creating and building aircraft in Canada. Just let it all go, in spite of the billions of dollars in federal and provincial assistance sunk into the company over the decades.

“Time to let Bombardier crash and burn,” was the headline on a column in iPolitics, an Ottawa-based political news website.

That would be a disaster for Canada’s aerospace industry.

Bombardier sits at the top of a production, design and engineering supply chain that spans the country, and the world.

The demise of Bombardier and the C Series is exactly what global heavyweights Boeing and Airbus want. These companies have tried for years to kill the aircraft company, because it’s muscling in on the fast-growing smaller end of a market dominated by the two best-selling airliners of all time, the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737. Both companies – recipients of gobs of government support in their home countries – are aggressively discounting and making their newest offerings more fuel efficient to lure customers away from the C Series.

Federal Infrastructure Minister Navdeep Bains highlighted the broader stakes for Canada at a recent ceremony in Montreal. “The long-term success of the aerospace sector . . . is very much connected to the success of Bombardier,” he said.

Imagine what Bombardier’s demise would mean. The company is the single largest corporate R&D spender in Canada. In 2015, it spent $2.3-billion on R&D – nearly four times the No. 2 spender, auto-parts maker Magna International Inc., at $639-million – according to an annual ranking by Research Infosource.

As an industry, aerospace companies account for 30 per cent of all manufacturing R&D in Canada. The sector exports 80 per cent of what it makes, and roughly 40 per cent of that beyond North America. A recent federal study says the industry directly and indirectly contributed $28-billion to GDP and 211,000 jobs in 2015.

There are few industries where Canada can claim to be a global player. Aerospace happens to be one of them. Canada is a leading supplier of regional aircraft, business jets, flight simulators, pilot training and aircraft engines.

The one consolation for the Trudeau government is that opposition to its Bombardier loan is highly polarized – inside and outside Quebec. Quebec nationalists say the money isn’t enough; politicians in the rest of the country argue it’s too generous. Even the federal Conservatives, who gave similar loans to the company while they were in power, are crying foul.

Strip away the political posturing, and the Liberals know they are on solid public-policy ground in helping Bombardier.

Doing nothing would be like rolling the dice.

but barrie, you're not seeing the big picture here. who gives a gently caress about 21000 blue collar white trash motherfuckers

i sure don't gently caress em

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

It's shares went down to zero when Obama left office

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
how can this be jim balsillie is a canadian economic thought leader

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

boogie didn't come to Toronto :qq:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

Chen has constantly said that today’s BlackBerry is different from the BlackBerry of the past. Two areas where the company has made significant advancements that highlight this are in the realms of cyber-security and the automotive sector.

BlackBerry’s experience in security and networking is unparalleled in the industry, yet, until last year, the company didn’t offer any form of consulting business. Cyber-security is a new and growing segment that industry experts peg as a multi-billion-dollar market. Given BlackBerry’s position and experience, the new cyber-security arm will no doubt be a revenue generator for the company.

BlackBerry’s QNX operating system not only powered the ill-fated BB10 operating system, but it also powers an assortment of mission-critical facilities and machinery around the world, ranging from nuclear power plants to medical devices. Another lesser-known use of that operating system is the infotainment system in your vehicle.

QNX is already installed in over 60 million vehicles, and BlackBerry has already an agreement with a major automotive manufacturer to push QNX deeper into the design of new vehicles, leveraging the scalability and security of QNX. Earlier this year at the CES show, BlackBerry showcased the latest version of QNX, which brings a host of improvements that will bring autonomous driving closer to a reality.

You see, Blackberry is going to be just fine.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I know only one person who is still fond of blackberry at this point. He also collects typewriters and slide rules and is an engineer.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The real story is

quote:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle15343658/

13 million restricted share units

They’ll vest over five years, 25 per cent on his third and fourth anniversaries with BlackBerry, and the rest on his fifth.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
if you don't slide type you're literally a loving retard

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

namaste faggots posted:

if you don't slide type you're literally a loving retard

Don't sign your posts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

You see, Blackberry is going to be just fine.

Well, they've sucessfully pivoted into patent trolling. So between that and their remaining real-estate holdings, the future looks bright as ever for Canada's tech giant.

namaste faggots posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jim-balsillie-innovation-ip-the-house-1.3984904

guys, Jim Balsillie, ex ceo of RIM, founder of New Economic Thinking~ has some opinions on innovation :laughdog:

right an IP strategy is going to ensure ~unicorns~ like hootsuite can 'scale' up

What an odd coincidence.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I deal with BlackBerry on a daily basis and they're sheer utter incompetent garbage on every level.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lol I bet you work for Oracle

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

Lol I bet you work for Oracle

Ew gross god no

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The real question is, who is going to buy up the assets to maintain the "secure" messaging network?

And for how much?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

infernal machines posted:

The real question is, who is going to buy up the assets to maintain the "secure" messaging network?

And for how much?

It's not loving secure at all. The RCMP has the master BBM key for one, and BES server security is dubious at best.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yes, hence the quotation marks. They've also given out the keys to every tin pot dictatorship in the ME and south Asia.

And their single routing system for worldwide communication is as likely as not owned the whole way through by every intelligence service on earth and at least a non-state actor or two.

But who would dare to impugn the security of decade old java held together with bailing wire and good intentions?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

PT6A posted:

I know only one person who is still fond of blackberry at this point. He also collects typewriters and slide rules and is an engineer.

You know my dad?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Remember when it came out that Nortel had been owned by the Chinese for almost a decade without anyone noticing, all the while they were still releasing firmware updates for their switches, routers, and VPN endpoints?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh I'm so scared

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Tell me more ~infosec~ horror stories Michael geist

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

Tell me more ~infosec~ horror stories Michael geist

You're mistaking me for OSI bean dip

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

~infosec~ horror stories

BlackBerry
Oracle
Cisco

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Please don't make me talk about bad things when I haven't had anything to drink the past few days.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

BlackBerry
Oracle
Cisco

Did Corel just fade into irrelevance without any major fuckups?

OSI bean dip posted:

Please don't make me talk about bad things when I haven't had anything to drink the past few days.

I'm sorry friend, CanPol is merciless.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

infernal machines posted:

Did Corel just fade into irrelevance without any major fuckups?

I recall something about some kind of insider trading scandal but I can't remember anything big. They just entirely slowly died away, rip. I wish someone would just mercy flush BlackBerry though.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/petawawa-soldier-and-brother-charged-with-drug-trafficking/amp

quote:

The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service’s drug enforcement team said on Feb. 7 that it charged a Canadian Forces member and his civilian brother with drug-related offences under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.

The charges relate to an investigation into illegal drug activity at 4th Canadian Division Support Base Petawawa.

“After an extensive investigation, members of the National Drug Enforcement Team searched of a private residence on base on February 3, 2017, and arrested Corporal Philippe Serge Léveillée of 2 Combat Engineer Regiment and his civilian brother David Joseph Léveillée, who resides with him at the residence,” the NIS stated in a news release.

Both individuals face the following charges:

-two counts of Possession for the purpose of trafficking under section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act; and

-two counts of Possession of a substance under section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.

During the search of the residence, members of the drug enforcement team discovered about one ounce (28 grams) of suspected cocaine and 20 grams of suspected cannabis (marihuana), as well as packaging materials, a scale and other drug paraphernalia, according to the NIS.

The allegations have not been tested in a court of law.

The case is scheduled to be brought forward in Ontario Provincial Court, Pembroke, Ontario, on March 7.

Our good old Canadian boys fighting the good fight

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Just joking. I'm sure there's a good reason for having those drugs. Maybe he has PTSD and it's keeping him from committing suicide. Also, at least he wasn't arrested for rape!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bunnyofdoom posted:

You know my dad?

Maybe, or maybe it's just a more common combo than I assumed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
An entire ounce of cocaine? Those boys must be serious dealers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
And a marihuana. Seriously who the gently caress spells it like that these days even iOS wants to autocorrect it. Oh wait THE MAN

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I don't think any of you peeople posted this over the weekend so I'm gonna share so there's at least something in this thread to make everyone smile a bit.

LGBT and Muslim communities coming together in Winnipeg

Two groups of people, one of whom dogmatically is opposed to the other, coming together to essentially chill out and build sculptures together.

Just goes to show that marginalized groups of people who could very well chose to fall back on their dogma as an excuse to be at each others throats really can just chill out build sculptures together and be generally decent to each other.

If the rest of the left wing could behave in a similar manner we might actually be able to slow down or reverse this shift to the right.

For the right it should be a wake up call that if you don't treat Muslims like trash they're just as willing to live and let live as any other religion or creed so maybe all this Muslim panic is stupid and overblown.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 21, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Wow that makes me so proud of Canada

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What part of the left-wing would oppose that? What lessons are you hoping the left-wing learns?

If anything, the left wing has been arguing for more tolerance and understanding between communities and then people like you and Helsing come in and bitch about how they're too focused on identity politics NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

What part of the left-wing would oppose that? What lessons are you hoping the left-wing learns?

If anything, the left wing has been arguing for more tolerance and understanding between communities and then people like you and Helsing come in and bitch about how they're too focused on identity politics NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR!

Oh my god you're such a white people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
These are two groups who are coming together rather than interrupting each others events, playing 'who is more oppressed and who is the shitlord' and generally being crap to each other. The fact that this surprises me is sad and I'm hoping the left wing as a whole learns that they have to go back to this sort of behavior rather than hunting for excuses to be garbage to each other and making GBS threads up the left with all this identity politics driven slap fighting among groups of people who should be coming together to make the world not garbage for all of us.