Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

A German aeroplane flies over General Mon Pere's chateau just as he is dressing for luncheon, and drops a brick with a note tied round it down one of the many chimneys. Once retrieved, the note reads:

quote:

Remember, men. We are here on the field to fight the greatest war of Europe's history, and we shall fight like our dignity and humanity compels us to. We shall fight with the bravery of the warriors of old, and the civility of the soldiers of the new.

Remember our enemies are human, too, and men of great dignity and valour themselves, I believe. Remember to give them the honour of fighting and dying in a fair battle, on their home soil, in defence of their fatherland and rights, as we may as well.

For at the end of they day, when the guns are silent and the battle is won or lost, when the decisions we make today are only fodder for histories, we will stand eye to eye with our enemies, and we will say, and we shall say it proud:

"gg no re"

You reflect that what it lacks in earnestness compared to "Gott Mitt Uns", it makes up for in pithiness. There is no signature, but the handwriting is identified by your intelligence department as that of Generalleutnant Tevery Spitzehut Unhofflichmann Beste von Polieren.

PS: Reminder that the deadline is tomorrow at 5pm GMT

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Looking back at the last game, we have to avoid the mistake of acting timidly. We have managed to contain the Germans to about 1/3rd of the battlefield and we need to do all we can to keep them pinned.

Even though we're slightly ahead on # of destroyed companies, we have 1 routed brigade and 3 shattered ones to their 3 routed. We need to co-ordinate attacks and hope that they stay piecemeal; although that mass of 5 enemy brigades clustering around St. C indicates that they are going to have local superiority there.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Our reply, as provided with the help of our Boche-speaking friend from Russia, Gogol Translatin:

Q: Wie können Sie sagen, die Polnischen wurden im Weltraum? A: Der große Wagen fehlt seinen Rädern.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

As an aside, thanks for taking the time to criticize plans, and propose alternatives. :) Even though I disagree with you most of the time, our plans have been consistently improved by incorporating the results of your thinking. Hell, I generally like the Entente team as a whole. Yeah, we need to work out some issues (use the preview button, ya goons :argh:), but playing the game with y'all has been quite fun so far.

Thank you. And thank you for being Corps Commander. You're doing a great job making clear orders and keeping us all together, and I appreciate it. I would gladly serve under your command again :)

It's shame though, at the rate we're taking casualties this war's going to be over in what, four or five months? Won't be many more battles like this one! :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

my dad posted:

Our reply, as provided with the help of our Boche-speaking friend from Russia, Gogol Translatin:

Q: Wie können Sie sagen, die Polnischen wurden im Weltraum? A: Der große Wagen fehlt seinen Rädern.

For those of us who are most certainly loyal sons of France from Alsace and not the horrorshow that is renamed ElsaB (may the eszett's perfidious blight be erased soon, I can't even bear to write it), in a language we all speak?

(Google can translate words, maybe even sentences, but not jokes)

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 21, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hint: The German name for a certain constellation translates to "The Big Wagon/Car"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

General de Division Tebeka

my dad posted:

General Tebeka/Bacarrette, I need an update on your current situation, as far as you're personally aware of it, and your assessment of it. What are the Boche numbers you are facing, is there an emergency that needs to be acted on, and do you think you can hold the line with the resources at hand?

General, my HQ is in position at Baguende, with good visibility and rapid communication access to my forces.

52e have taken heavy casualties assaulting Pasteur Ridge and are currently withdrawing South East in disarray, but may yet recover.

53e are still strong, but are under attack from their northern flank by at least one Boche infantry brigade which will prevent them from proceeding west.

54e has been shattered by casualties and the apparent loss of their commander General Hephasto leaves them with no chance to contribute further to the battle.

55e has suffered severe infantry losses but remains firm. Their artillery is in a good position to hammer the Boche if they are not overrun. They will be ordered to hold position.

119e and 120e are still in place on La Cote. They have received orders to advance but have not yet done so. Those orders could be countermanded with ease.

General, I have effectively lost deux and a half brigades, and I anticipate further heavy losses from 53e. The Boche have a substantial advantage in firepower which our superior maneuvering has partially mitigated to this point, but as they have occupied Saints Croissants we will have to blast them out. My brigades are in contact with at least trois enemy brigades, and currently have eyes on sixe. With the support of the reserve brigades I am confident we can hold our current positions, but we lack the manpower for a successful assault on Saint Croissants. To my knowledge 22div has taken fewer losses but they are facing the bulk of the fresh German forces

We can still win a victory with our current forces, but it will not be swift and it is not sure.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

General Tebeka, your concerns have been noted. The orders for you are as follows: You are to cease all advance SW of Pasteur Ridge. You are to hold your artillery positions, and reinforce them as far as your resources allow. Let the Boche come to you. Should the circumstances permit, you are to cautiously advance NE of Pasteur, and take out any enemy on the crest of the hill. Under no circumstance are your men allowed to cross the crest of Pasteur Ridge.

If possible, inform your Brigadiers in the North that they're allowed to retreat back towards La Cote if they find themselves overmatched.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm waiting for Bacarruda to show up on roll20 just to confirm things before I give him orders.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Bacarette, your position has been understood. Since I have been informed that there was a miscommunication about our scouting abilities, you are allowed to stop your brigade marching West and redeploy it as long as it's given provisional orders to rapidly move West if the scout spots enemy activity W-SW of Bois de Gooneville. You are authorized to adjust the position and standing orders of your other units to account for the failure of the infantry assault on St. Croissant.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

my dad posted:

General Bacarette, your position has been understood. Since I have been informed that there was a miscommunication about our scouting abilities, you are allowed to stop your brigade marching West and redeploy it as long as it's given provisional orders to rapidly move West if the scout spots enemy activity W-SW of Bois de Gooneville. You are authorized to adjust the position and standing orders of your other units to account for the failure of the infantry assault on St. Croissant.

Affirmatif. Orders edited.

Hunt11, revise your orders, please.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Général de Division Bacarruda

97th Brigade(+): Hunt11
Send them a runner with the message.

CORPS HQ ORDERS CHANGE OF PLANS.

SEND CAV TO SCOUT LE OEUF. REPORT IMMEDIATELY IF GERMANS APPROACH THE DEJEUNNER RIDGE FROM THE NORTH.

HOLD OUR CENTER WITH YOUR INFANTRY. GET INFANTRY IN BATTLELINE AT CROSSROADS SOUTH OF SAINT CROISSANT. STAY OUT OF THE RANGE OF THEIR MACHINE GUNS IN ST CROISSANT. REPEL ANY GERMAN ATTACK SOUTH FROM SAINT CROISSANT OR GOONEVILLE.

KEEP ARTILLERY DEPLOYED AND FIRING FROM CLEMENCEAU RIDGE."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Runner to General Sullat, 55e:

Cease all advance. Secure your position. If in your discretion you are in danger of losing your artillery, withdraw towards La Cote.

Runner to General Sixkiller, 53e:

Cease all advance towards Saint Croissant. If necessary return East of Pasteur Ridge. Secure your position. If necessary, withdraw towards La Cote.

Runner to General Slam Jam Packens, 120e:

Advance as previously ordered. Support 53e. Maintain your force through defensive posture when engaging.

Runner (When Available) to General Lenoon, 119e:

Advance NW, but do NOT proceed beyond Pasteur Woods. Support 55e. Maintain your force through defensive posture when engaging.

Runner (When Available, When Brigade Rallied) to General Comrade Koba, 52e:

Withdraw your forces to La Cote ridge and secure that position.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 21, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Slim Jim Slam Jam, Note the "defensive posture" in the orders sent to you. It's a change from the "ignore the enemy" stance. :v:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

The term 'gung ho' has not as yet entered the lexicon of the United States Marine Corps and thus the broader military community. As a result, I will have to beg my subordinates not to be too 'Baguette' for the duration of the battle.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A goonette recently made a smiley that really sums up the emotion of "But wait... That must mean that... OH DEAR GOD NO!" that I think we're going to be dealing with a lot in these games.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Slam Jam Packens, 120e Reservistes Brigade

Preliminary orders.

T+0-T+4

120e brigade has received orders from 6th Division headquarters! The eager reservists are elated to hear the news. The boche have been surprised and put on the backfoot! The order for advance is given!

120e Brigade will promptly switch to the attack. Infantry shall adopt the above formation, while erring for the benefit of allowing artillery the 2' gap.. The brigade will attempt to carry the artillery into each successive position detailed on this map.

Should boche artillery remain on Pasteur ridge during this movement, we shall attempt to attack it so long as the it does not entail cresting the ridge and revealing ourselves to the enemy in the surroundings of Ferme de Beurre

The 2 farthest most infantry companies must, at any cost of detour, enter Nainville and cut the telephone wires.

During the march, no companies may crest Pasteur ridge at any point, delays are acceptable to adhere to this order.

T+4(?)-T+6(?)

(It should take two turns between the last pictured brigade position and the one pictured here)

If our artillery companies tire and must limber up, the rest of the brigade will proceed on with marching orders, until any positions within this map are achieved, at which point the brigade will defend.

Again, two infantry companies must, at any detour, enter Bouclecourt and sever telephone wires before rejoining the brigade.

The brigade will defend once any units achieve this position, and attempt to unlimber artillery.

Once artillery is unlimbered, the brigade will switch to Attack, and adopt positions like so.

T+6(?)-T+7(?)

If 2 or more enemy brigades are spotted in range after this move, the 120e brigade will switch to Defend, Break off at 1/2 casualties

If otherwise, 120e Brigade will Attack

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Stop and defend
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue the enemy
Break Off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken

I'm lazy and phone posting. I cant change the march images Trin, but can you imagine that my arty always gets 2" of clearance from infantry in the direction of Pasteur ridge in case they have to fire at something up there?

Can I add a final clause? If the 120e spot even more boche reinforcements march in from the NE, the brigade will high-tail it back to La Cote.

Also, do stop and defend orders mean you stop out of range just because you see somebody move on a hill 48" away?

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 21, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

Runner (When Available) to General Lenoon, 119e:

Advance NW, but do NOT proceed beyond Pasteur Woods. Support 55e. Maintain your force through defensive posture when engaging.

Oui, Monsieur!

119th Brigade Orders

Move west towards pasteur woods.
Keep the guns in command range of the brigade HQ, Trin please forgive the lack of images due to the fact the brigadier is "at work".

Advance, do not break off to fire.

75mms Fire on targets of opportunity

Infantry deploys as shown below:

Infantry brigades in wood should be within 1 inch of the edge, allowing them to shoot out. MG should be within one inch of NW corner of woods, allowing fire through northern and western infantry chits.

Assume defensive stance, fire on any germans in range.

Engineers, begin deploying barbed wire as soon as possible, along the red-white-blue line. Once complete, assume position at extreme southern end of infantry line.

No retreat from this position.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 21, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Also, do stop and defend orders mean you stop out of range just because you see somebody move on a hill 48" away?

Those orders only kick in within unmodified spotting range.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

lenoon posted:

Leave the guns where they are.

Ugh, this incredibly expensive and aesthetically pleasing scented letter writing paper seems to have retained an impression of my earlier draft order. That might be confusing for General Lenoon. Let me just spell it out in solid ink:

Do Not leave your guns behind.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

Ugh, this incredibly expensive and aesthetically pleasing scented letter writing paper seems to have retained an impression of my earlier draft order. That might be confusing for General Lenoon. Let me just spell it out in solid ink:

Do Not leave your guns behind.

Amended, can't change the image until 5pm+ as at work - depends on when the deadline is.

edit: hurrah, edited photo on phone

lenoon fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 21, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I can give the orders but won't be able to upload any pictures to accompany them due to being at Uni.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Edited my orders, to be issued upon receipt of a runner from Division HQ.

Glad to see the lads of the 119th coming to join us!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Brigade 97 Orders

Artillery to keep on firing and anything that approaches our position.

Cavalry move to Southen Edge of the peak of La Oeuf and hold. The runner is to go along with the Cavalry chit.

Infantry move next to the right ridge of La Oeuf and assume battle formation outlined in the previous turn orders. (making sure to face towards Saint Croissant).

Conditional Orders:
All chits are to hold position no matter what.
Break Point: To the End
Infantry spotted moving towards La Oeuf: Send runner to Command.

Edit: When I get back home I will put up pictures to more accurately show what I want.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 21, 2017

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Général de brigade Comrade Koba

Orders for 52nd Brigade

At the first available opportunity, brigade will move towards La Cote and regroup.

Any remaining companies will form up on La Cote ridge and act as a screen for the artillery deployed there.

(Not sure exactly how many of my companies survived, but I want them all deployed on the ridge)

Standing orders

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Pursue the enemy
Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 21, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think you also have an artillery chit? There's a supressed one on the ridge. Might be worth placing it on top of the ridge.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

my dad posted:

I think you also have an artillery chit? There's a supressed one on the ridge. Might be worth placing it on top of the ridge.

I think that's a machinegun, but you're right, I forgot that one. I'll try to update the map.

EDIT: Done.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 21, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

My orders are the same (no move, yes shoot), but if our engineers can find us I want to dig some trenches followed by place wire toward the forest.

Not one step back!

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 21, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Comrade Koba posted:

I think that's a machinegun, but you're right, I forgot that one. I'll try to update the map.

EDIT: Done.

I didn't even notice the machine gun. :shobon: I meant the artillery on La Cote. Check the map.

Your division started with an artillery chit, and you didn't lose it, so don't lose it. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

My orders are the same (no move, yes shoot), but if our engineers can find us I want to dig some trenches followed by place wire.

Might want to specify where exactly you want the wire. Towards the forest, perhaps?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything I should change or add to my ad-hoc orders before I have the ability to properly do it?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hunt11 posted:

Is there anything I should change or add to my ad-hoc orders before I have the ability to properly do it?

Might want to specify the exact position you want to send the scout out, since we've been somewhat unclear about what exactly is La Oeuf. You meant on the Southern edge of the peak, am I correct? Also, you meant next to the ridge, but not on the ridge for the infantry, I assume?

e: As in, lined from the ridge towards the road?

my dad fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 21, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

my dad posted:

Might want to specify where exactly you want the wire. Towards the forest, perhaps?

If we have time, yes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Sorry for asking you all these stupid questions, but I figure that helping you specify exactly what you want beats leaving it to Trin's interpretation, especially after the 483rd chit he had to move and 372nd dice he had to throw. :v:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication is now underway

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Should I still upload pictures of what I mean in terms of troop deployment when I get home?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hunt11 posted:

Should I still upload pictures of what I mean in terms of troop deployment when I get home?

The answer is always "post pictures" :v:

It sucks if it comes a bit too late, but it sure sucks even more if you didn't make a picture at all. Oh well, c'est la vie. It's not the end of the world.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Gentlemen, are we meeting in the war room for un cognac and une petite panic

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I'm tending to my portable military rose garden, I'll join you in un momente.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
Général de brigade Sixkiller

Finally, the Boche have shown themselves and now have secured their own doom! The 53rd Brigade is to quickly abandon its original goal, and charge the enemy who have so foolishly assembled against us; the elan that radiates from my troops should be enough to sweep aside the hated enemy. The single machine-gun company is to cover our advance, killing as many Germans as possible. To victory, men!

• Locked thread