Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lycus posted:

Could "Combat Tools" be melee weapons?

I'm guessing that's a passive skill for buffing the grenades and mines and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

frajaq posted:

One of the skills is still unknown, have they talked about how to unlock these? Are some supposed to be secret?

https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/832748890583490560

Since it's a one-off special case I'd assume it's something story relevant

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh, and official statements re: heights

quote:

Joel MacMillan @MrJoelMac

@Lou08Bryant @tibermoon k... so Female Ryder is 1.72 metres and Male is 1.85. Hope that helps :)

So Sara is 5ft7in or so, and Scott is just a hair over six foot.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
They already accidentally showed that. This trailer shows an ability called "Remnant VI" in the same spot as "Unknown." They scroll past it so you can even pause and read what it does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcidXF1pk4c&t=64s

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

frajaq posted:

One of the skills is still unknown, have they talked about how to unlock these? Are some supposed to be secret?

Hmmm, should I use Pull or Throw or ANNIHILATION...?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Hmmm, should I use Pull or Throw or ANNIHILATION...?

I'm guessing Annihilation might be Annihilation Field from ME3 MP. In which case it depends on your range preference.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Why not all three?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
It is, they showed it during the gameplay trailer. It now confers a cooldown penalty on other powers while it's active, probably to try and mitigate the N7 Fury strategy of running around spamming Throw to explode everything, which is too bad because that ruled.

http://imgur.com/a/BZJ19

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Ein Sexmonster posted:

It's not a console thing, it's a core part of the design - more than 3 powers when you have fairly short, per-power cooldowns would be pretty broken.

I can't really support this because cutting down on powers tends to weaken diversity. Just look at how boring The Division became after a couple of hours.

It's like having to play Checkers when you started out on Chess. Sure it's still a complex game, but diversity is so much more fun.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Backlash looks it could be a lot of fun.

Hahaha the Vortex evolution on Annihilation turns you into a walking Singularity :getin:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The one I'm really curious about is "Invasion" under the tech set.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rad Valtar posted:

I can't think of anything I care less about then how chubby Sara Ryder's face is in the game.

It wasn't until this post that I realized the Sara Ryder appearance complaints weren't about shaders and lighting.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

Pretty sure that's just a fancy name for hacking the gibson.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Cythereal posted:

You can see that one in the video I linked too. "Infects opponents with an invasive VI controlled machine swarm that weakens defenses and spreads itself to nearby enemies."

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh, and official statements re: heights

So Sara is 5ft7in or so, and Scott is just a hair over six foot.

Twins, how do they work?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

They already accidentally showed that. This trailer shows an ability called "Remnant VI" in the same spot as "Unknown." They scroll past it so you can even pause and read what it does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcidXF1pk4c&t=64s

So it's basically just combat drone?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

You can see that one in the video I linked too. "Infects opponents with an invasive VI controlled machine swarm that weakens defenses and spreads itself to nearby enemies."

Oh. That's... eh. May depend on just what "weakens defenses" means.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thor-Stryker posted:

I can't really support this because cutting down on powers tends to weaken diversity. Just look at how boring The Division became after a couple of hours.

It's like having to play Checkers when you started out on Chess. Sure it's still a complex game, but diversity is so much more fun.

You have access to three mapped abilities at a time, but you can switch them out on the fly to your favorites. So in practice it's more like 12 at a time. Unless you're on PC, apparently!

quote:

Farthingale ‏@farthingale18
@tibermoon are there restrictions on when you can switch favorites in combat? There's a guy on reddit adamant you can't swap mid combat.

Ian S. Frazier @tibermoon
@farthingale18 You can switch favorites in or out of combat, yes. Lead Designer > Some Guy on Reddit

quote:

Karen Bannon ‏@_karooni
Is the favourite (3 ability limit) system something only on controllers? or can we have more than 3 on PC w/ keyboard?

3 mapped powers, quickly switchable via Favorites, is how the game works on all platforms. But on PC you can hotkey your faves.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Saddest Robot posted:

Twins, how do they work?

A staggering variety of ways, really. It's even possible for twins to have different fathers.

You might be thinking of identical twins, which are kind of already right out since, well, identical twins are both the same gender. Comes from the whole split from the same cell thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Twins, how do they work?

The majority of twins are male-female, so exactly like that?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

It's already been established that the Ryder twins have different mothers, one of whom is a Geth.

quote:

3 mapped powers, quickly switchable via Favorites, is how the game works on all platforms. But on PC you can hotkey your faves.

Ugh... why can't I just have them all on the screen like a normal person would?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lycus posted:

So it's basically just combat drone?

Functionally yes, it does appear to be the replacement for the combat drone. As to what it actually is, it's the floating robots firing red lasers that Ryder fights later in the video. So I'm guessing at some point you capture an enemy robot and re-program it to fight for you instead

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

In the trilogy you never had more than a hotbar could hold, but now you have, like, 9 actives just for biotics, so I imagine regardless of how they did it they would have to limit what you have access to at once or it would be insane.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

e;fb

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Twins, how do they work?

You...you know they're different sexes right?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

hobbesmaster posted:

The majority of twins are male-female, so exactly like that?

Majority? I would expect it to skew towards same gender twins just because identical twins are always the same gender, and fraternal twins should be 50:50?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
More powers didn't increase diversity in ME3 anyway, it just let you bludgeon the game even on high difficulty because most classes had power combinations to cover absolutely every situation (not that a lot of people would know since they picked Soldier or Infiltrator). The place that had actual class and play style diversity was multiplayer, where classes had three powers and there were dozens of combinations.

MEA system basically gives you four MP classes on demand that you can flip between at will. That seems more than enough.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder if Annihilation will remain up while cloaked?

Annihilation + Tac Cloak + Lance sounds like a recipe for biotic explosions everywhere :getin:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

Majority? I would expect it to skew towards same gender twins just because identical twins are always the same gender, and fraternal twins should be 50:50?

A quick google search suggests that boy/girl fraternal twins account for about 40% of all twin births, followed by fraternal girls, then fraternal boys, identical girls, and identical boys in descending order of likelihood. So fraternal boy/girl are the plurality may be more accurate.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

I wonder if Annihilation will remain up while cloaked?

Annihilation + Tac Cloak + Lance sounds like a recipe for biotic explosions everywhere :getin:

I'm imagining Tac Cloak to get into a crowd, Annihilation Field to prime the bunch, and then if Nova still detonates, go straight to nova.

It'll be a good question to answer if swapping favorites "quickly" incurs a cooldown, and if even if it doesn't, do the powers remember their cooldown timers after they swap. If I go through all twelve of my favorited powers in a cycle, will some of them still be cooling down, or will I just keep chainsawing through people with my abilities ad nauseum? I'd imagine they'd have to, or you get powers that are balanced by cooldowns getting their cooldowns ignored by quickly swapping favorites in and out.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Functionally yes, it does appear to be the replacement for the combat drone. As to what it actually is, it's the floating robots firing red lasers that Ryder fights later in the video. So I'm guessing at some point you capture an enemy robot and re-program it to fight for you instead
Nope, Combat drone is still in, it's just an automatic perk for the engineer profile.
I'd bet on this being where Tech Armor ends up too.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Nope, Combat drone is still in, it's just an automatic perk for the engineer profile.
I'd bet on this being where Tech Armor ends up too.

Makes sense that they wouldn't give every profile all the toys.

Makes me wonder what Vanguard gets if Charge and Nova are both regular biotic powers now. Hell, most of the big ticket class skills have become universal.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A good question. Soldier profiles get Marksman's Focus, giving them a damage buff for every enemy killed in a time frame. Which sounds perfect for something like the Revenant or similar bullet hose, especially in a crowd. Maybe Vanguards get something of similar utility; perhaps a free barrier boost for every kill, so they don't need Charge to keep up something like Nova if they're at least still killing folks.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'd bet on Turbocharge being a catch-all Adrenaline Rush/Marksman replacement, in that case.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Interesting, in that case I wonder how the profile specific perks work then, are they active powers still? Or does the drone pop up automatically when you enter combat? You can't read the whole description in that screenshot but it kinda sounds like it's more focused on supporting the player than harassing the enemy this time, I'm envisioning something like Tali's defense drone in ME3 but it also gives you a buff in addition to attacking enemies that get too close to you.

See, this is the kind of stuff that gets me interested in the game. More of this!

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

jfood posted:

Ugh... why can't I just have them all on the screen like a normal person would?

Why would you need any more than 1 button? That button being "pull trigger to put my sniper rifle's bullet in their face."

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
with 12 skills u can probably solo the game actually

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

chiasaur11 posted:

A staggering variety of ways, really. It's even possible for twins to have different fathers.

You might be thinking of identical twins, which are kind of already right out since, well, identical twins are both the same gender. Comes from the whole split from the same cell thing.

surprise transgender protagonist go

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

PureRok posted:

Why would you need any more than 1 button? That button being "pull trigger to put my sniper rifle's bullet in their face."

I'm one of the six or seven people who played as an Engineer and while I love semi-autos, I loving hate scopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Is there a space bolt action in ME? I can't remember if there was right now