Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the first 5/6 are have a lot of shock and forced humor and Bojack is just a stereotypical edgy "jerkass" lead character which is a played out trope for animated sitcoms (like Peter Griffin, post-classic era Homer Simpson, Bender)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfJBFSWnsOc

This clip exemplifies that pretty well. Oh look he's a jerk to his girlfriend! He flipped over a stroller with a baby in it! Edgy! Then he further kills the already lame joke by spelling it out to the audience.

They're not terrible, no, but I feel pretty confident in saying that they're mediocre enough that if the show was picked up by a network and aired one episode at a time it would have likely been cancelled before it got a chance to get good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, I remember watching the first episode when it came out, and I didn't watch another one until a year later when S2 was out. When you don't know the characters yet, the first few episodes seem like really empty, shallow Family Guy garbage. Doing a rewatch isn't really the same because you can see how things are getting setup for later stuff.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I wonder how much of that stuff is actually necessary though. For the majority, those bits are probably very valuable hooks, and maybe we wouldn't have gotten as many seasons as we have without them. I tend to like tone-shifts in media anyway.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Human Crouton posted:

I found the first episode to both be trying too hard and also very lazy. I think Todd selling meth was them toying with going to a shock humor format, and the exposition of "I'm not only your girlfriend, I'm also your agent" set me up for a show that was going to treat me like I was stupid.

Maybe I was just weary for the next couple of episodes because of the terrible first episode, but I didn't really start liking it until halfway through.
drat, :effort: much?

I'd really expect a troll to at least be subtle - or maybe just funny?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I didn't like the first few eps either but my friends begged me to stick with it and my opinion turned around on the space opera musical episode.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

coyo7e posted:

drat, :effort: much?

I'd really expect a troll to at least be subtle - or maybe just funny?

You caught me. Guess I won't be causing any mischief today.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The only reason I watched past the first episode is because I'd previously read that it didn't get good until later in the season. Even still I was so indifferent after episode 2 I sought reassurance in the Netflix thread.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

The only reason I watched past the first episode is because I'd previously read that it didn't get good until later in the season. Even still I was so indifferent after episode 2 I sought reassurance in the Netflix thread.
but you're good people, so we won't hold that against you.

I think what captured me early was that they were using the actual obnoxiously-verbose-douchebag from MSNBC in the neal-mcbeale episode. I just kept waiting for him to start reading from "Tuesdays with Morrey" or, some poo poo about baseball.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I kept watching because it was a cartoon and I wanted to see how well Netflix did cartoons. Then the self destruction spiral started and I was hooked.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I didn't watch it until after the second season had been added. I had heard it was a bad show, both on here and from the population in general. "Crappy Family Guy Rip Off" was what I heard. Then a late friend told me last time I saw him "Watch Bojack Horsemen, it gets so much better after the first few episodes".

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I kept watching because animal puns are my heroin

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Hedrigall posted:

You missed the perfect opportunity to call it "Horse"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I kept watching because of dumb jokes like the bartender pouring BoJack a drink, saying "say when" and BoJack not saying when until there was whiskey all over the bar

And later that episode when Todd is calling the Japanese scammers and he says " I meant I'm rich because I have friends, like George Bailey". No matter what that joke stands out to me as the moment I was hooked on BoJack. It came out of left field but it worked so well

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

a late friend told me last time I saw him "Watch Bojack Horsemen, it gets so much better after the first few episodes".
This is the most Bojack story.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Listened to an interview with Will Arnett on Marc Maron's podcast and was bummed out they didn't mention Bojack at all. Guess he wanted to focus on his new show "Flaked". Oh well.

What was neat though was Arnett talking about being sober for almost 20 years. Very impressive, and also adds a new layer of irony to that scene where Bojack crashes the AA meeting (As a 12-stepper myself I laughed real hard at that scene)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

Same, I also like seeing animal people doing animal things.

Like when Mr. Peantbutter got mad about tennis ("Why does no one catch the ball!?" :argh:)

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Simian_Prime posted:

Listened to an interview with Will Arnett on Marc Maron's podcast and was bummed out they didn't mention Bojack at all. Guess he wanted to focus on his new show "Flaked".

One day, if I ever get the opportunity to meet Will Arnett, I'll totally blow it by asking him when he intends to make a glorious return to the role of Matt Hazard.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Like when Mr. Peantbutter got mad about tennis ("Why does no one catch the ball!?" :argh:)

And of course, his neighbor is a skunk.

As much as I love Mr. Peanutbutter, my favorite character might be Princess Carolyn. I don't know why exactly but I find her fascinating that no matter what happens she's a) practical, b) helpful, and c) always focused on herself. She's the complete opposite of Bojack while still being self centered. She's this weird mix of competing personality traits and to me is the most complex character on the show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wonder what's up with Judah. Why doesn't he tell Princess Carolyn about the merger offer? I mean, he owns a stake in her firm, but he just watches it all burn down instead of telling her. Is he incredibly unselfish and letting it go because he can see the stress is killing her?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder what's up with Judah. Why doesn't he tell Princess Carolyn about the merger offer? I mean, he owns a stake in her firm, but he just watches it all burn down instead of telling her. Is he incredibly unselfish and letting it go because he can see the stress is killing her?

I don't remember the specifics that you are talking about, but I think that the Judah character was named after and has mannerisms of a traitor so that it is actually a plot twist when he always does the selfless thing. So, probably.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah the one thing about that character is that I honestly cannot get past for the life of me, is that I cannot recall any movies or shows or novels where a character shows up as some kind of highly-competent savior/disciple/etc figure, where them being named "Judah/Judas" wasn't just like welp, how many pieces of silver will it take for this guy to gently caress over the protagonist?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I think that's the joke like THC pointed out above

Like I'd honestly expect some gag near the end where she goes "Oh look, here comes Judah, here to backstab me like everyone else today?" "Uh, no, ma'am, I brought you the latest quarterly earnings report."

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
BoJack Horseman Pops!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

wormil posted:

And of course, his neighbor is a skunk.

As much as I love Mr. Peanutbutter, my favorite character might be Princess Carolyn. I don't know why exactly but I find her fascinating that no matter what happens she's a) practical, b) helpful, and c) always focused on herself. She's the complete opposite of Bojack while still being self centered. She's this weird mix of competing personality traits and to me is the most complex character on the show.

Princess Carolyn is my favorite too, and I agree that she's the most complicated character on the show. She sums herself pretty well in this exchange with Diane:

Diane: why are you helping me?
Princess Carolyn: because my life is a mess right now and I compulsively take care of others when I can't take care of myself.
Diane: oh...I was hoping you'd say it was because you believe in me.
Princess Carolyn: I don't.

Also, the joke with Judah is that he does betray Princess Carolyn, but he does it for a totally selfless reason. He doesn't tell her about the merger even though it will destroy the company because she gives that big speech about how being an agent made her miserable. He's willing to give up his job and lose a bunch of money if he thinks someone else will be happier that way. He's a good guy, that Judah :unsmith:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I love the Ubu jokes, all two of them

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
"You know, it just goes to show, with the right attitude, every single one of your dreams will always come true. And if your dreams don't come true, it's probably because you just didn't have the right attitude." - Mr. Peanutbutter

That has to be my favorite line from this show.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Bad quality but I think this is the funniest bit in the entire show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z47F2tBCPA0

"Where did you hear this intriguing 'fart-it-out' theory?"
"I dunno... maybe the Bible?"

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 18, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know why but I think JURJ CLOONERS and BREAD POOT and LERNERNERNER DICAPRICORN are what most reliably cracks me up.

It's so stupid it's genius

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
But they're just cribbing from the JACKIE JORMP-JOMP school of bastardised celebrity names

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Data Graham posted:

I don't know why but I think JURJ CLOONERS and BREAD POOT and LERNERNERNER DICAPRICORN are what most reliably cracks me up.

It's so stupid it's genius

the best part is that they all have the same exact head shape, they just put different hair on them

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Tom Hardy (who is a cat)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Minrad posted:

I think that's the joke like THC pointed out above

Like I'd honestly expect some gag near the end where she goes "Oh look, here comes Judah, here to backstab me like everyone else today?" "Uh, no, ma'am, I brought you the latest quarterly earnings report."
I get that, and I thought it was brilliant, but drat it still feels like some hidden race-card is gonna get thrown down and then the loyal assistant will be like Bibi Netanyahu in a top-knot. It's actually a little worrying and I think that this show has KILLED IT by playing with those tropes at whim, but the judas stuff throws me for a hard loop and I'm not sure if I cna appreciate it or if I'm being taken for an amazing ride

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Judah's not an uncommon name

I assume he and her mouse BF are extra decent to make Princess Caroline's flaws more obvious, they can be missed when she's around the characters that are truly hopeless

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

No Wave posted:

I assume he and her mouse BF are extra decent to make Princess Caroline's flaws more obvious, they can be missed when she's around the characters that are truly hopeless

That's at least part of it. BoJack puts out so many red flags as a character that the show needs to put big flashing arrows around the other characters' to make them stand out amongst the sea of bad choices.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is the most Bojack story.

When I was at my parents place for the funeral I watched a bunch of Bojack too.

Bojack saying the thread title was all I could do during that time.

My dad watched a few with me, he got a good laugh at Neil McBeal, the Navy Seal.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Simian_Prime posted:

Listened to an interview with Will Arnett on Marc Maron's podcast and was bummed out they didn't mention Bojack at all. Guess he wanted to focus on his new show "Flaked". Oh well.

It really doesn't seem like Will Arnett ever wants to talk about BoJack even though it's like his best role since Job (I still haven't seen LEGO Batman, though).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Possibly because Bojack has all the attention and acclaim it needs, he really wants his other show to take off.

I watched the first season of Flaked and just feel like absolutely nothing of any importance took place during pretty much the entire season. I found that if you make a show where pretty much no one really cares about anything, the viewer can't really care about anything either.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He's cool as poo poo in A Series of Unfortunate Events, too.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

No Wave posted:

Judah's not an uncommon name

Princess Caroline responds to disappointments and setbacks by compulsively losing herself deeper into her work and other people's problems. As compared to Diane and Bojack, who both will first spiral and then kinda shut down. Her cooping may be more functional in the short-term, but is probably just as harmful in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Nuts. Saw a few dozen new posts and thought the new season date was announced.

I think Princess Caroline is probably my favorite character too. 'Oh Fish' always makes me smile. Also, the fact that her initials are PC, which makes me think Pussy Cat and it's funny because she's a cat.