Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Turns out making a dead things centric sets hot off the heels of two other dead things centric sets might've been a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I know that "use undead as servants" isn't exactly the least obvious thing in the world, but that picture feels like a knockoff of Sultai, right down to the fruit basket

I feel like Sultai and this pic might possibly be inspired from the same concept maybe???

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I feel like Sultai and this pic might possibly be inspired from the same concept maybe???

...What's that? Have I missed something that everyone is talking about? :shobon:

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I don't want mummy fingers touching my snacks

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Turns out making a dead things centric sets hot off the heels of two other dead things centric sets might've been a bad idea.

dont worry im sure the graveyard hate will be in THIS one

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

ZeroCount posted:

dont worry im sure the graveyard hate will be in THIS one

There will probably be a pyramid artifact that either prevents cards from leaving the graveyard or at least creates some significant downside for doing graveyard shenanigans. It's in the theme of the graverobber traps that were put in those things. If not, WotC hire me so I can say no.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
SPBKASO spins marvel ~15 times on turn 5 of game 1. My kind of poo poo: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-89-35-tix-marvelous-paradox-standard

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

There will probably be a pyramid artifact that either prevents cards from leaving the graveyard or at least creates some significant downside for doing graveyard shenanigans. It's in the theme of the graverobber traps that were put in those things. If not, WotC hire me so I can say no.

It also wouldn't stop stuff like delirium at all so that's probably it

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

End of Life Guy posted:

SPBKASO spins marvel ~15 times on turn 5 of game 1. My kind of poo poo: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-89-35-tix-marvelous-paradox-standard

This is so dumb and I love it.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

End of Life Guy posted:

Okay, I give up. I can't make heads or tails of the acronym SPBKASO.

Kids and Guns
Apr 1, 2013

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Okay, I give up. I can't make heads or tails of the acronym SPBKASO.

Seth, Probably Better Known As Saffron Olive

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

TVsVeryOwn posted:

This is so dumb and I love it.
It's marvelous.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TheKingofSprings posted:

More specifically it is just Tasigur which yes makes sense.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i have no clue if this is true but http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-haitian-slave-culture-gave-life-to-zombies

zombies being slaves is apparently a very old idea, so it makes sense for sultai and amonkhet to use them similarly

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

On the one hand:

On the other, "lounging around while servants serve fruit and fan you" is pretty Egyptian in theme, and it's not like they'd draw Beefcake in there. And just imagine Jace tanning. I like the illustration, actually.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So I couldn't attend modern night at one of the stores last night and I woke up to this in our group chat:

"12 people and (TO) decided that it was too late for 4 rounds at 9:15pm after 3 rounds. He also cut to top 6, with 1st getting 25 and 2nd getting 15, the rest 5. Unannounced, as we were all waiting for round 4, I went up to check. He used the excuse that someone had to get up at 6am, which I later found out was one of the players who was 1/2, and would have stayed to play another round anyways.

He also said that future tournaments with 4 rounds will probably be cut to only 3 regardless of players unless it would have been 5 rounds."

This store is the largest and nicest one in the area, but also has the highest prices on singles. They've also had a rep over the last few years for doing sketchy business stuff. I don't like going to this store anyway and usually go to another store for modern on a different day but still went about once a month to get some modern time in, probably won't anymore.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So I couldn't attend modern night at one of the stores last night and I woke up to this in our group chat:

"12 people and (TO) decided that it was too late for 4 rounds at 9:15pm after 3 rounds. He also cut to top 6, with 1st getting 25 and 2nd getting 15, the rest 5. Unannounced, as we were all waiting for round 4, I went up to check. He used the excuse that someone had to get up at 6am, which I later found out was one of the players who was 1/2, and would have stayed to play another round anyways.

He also said that future tournaments with 4 rounds will probably be cut to only 3 regardless of players unless it would have been 5 rounds."

This store is the largest and nicest one in the area, but also has the highest prices on singles. They've also had a rep over the last few years for doing sketchy business stuff. I don't like going to this store anyway and usually go to another store for modern on a different day but still went about once a month to get some modern time in, probably won't anymore.

I mean, it's that guy's prerogative :shrug: we always cap at 4 rounds for constructed events regardless of attendance because staff need to get home, but that's well known and doesn't change mid-tournament.

We have had to change the number of rounds mid-tournament once before because we got it wrong, and caught an amount of poo poo for it but no real lasting negative effects.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mfcrocker posted:

I mean, it's that guy's prerogative :shrug: we always cap at 4 rounds for constructed events regardless of attendance because staff need to get home, but that's well known and doesn't change mid-tournament.

We have had to change the number of rounds mid-tournament once before because we got it wrong, and caught an amount of poo poo for it but no real lasting negative effects.

I guess, I'd just never heard of someone suddenly changing the number of rounds because they want to go home. Store doesn't even close until 10. I guess I could understand at a larger event with a legitimate reason. We'll be taking business elsewhere for that and other reasons anyway.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ah, simple Africans serving their white master, I see, I see.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
that's a very good picture of the same character we see every set, making the same facial expression she always makes, but this time there's a pyramid in the background. looking forward to four more just like it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Her hat really is ugly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So death's shadow is 15 bucks and going up up up. Turns out I am really good at buying cardboard a few weeks before its spikes in 2017.

I did miss on basilisk collar though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

So death's shadow is 15 bucks and going up up up. Turns out I am really good at buying cardboard a few weeks before its spikes in 2017.

I did miss on basilisk collar though.

I almost sold my playset of shadows for $20 after the probe ban but never did. Got 2 collars a while back for eldrazi too. Sometimes you get lucky.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
It is gratifying to know that Death's Shadow is making a comeback. I got them a while back and the deck is fun as hell. It's just a shame that the new build is a Jund type that includes Tarmogoyfs and Lilis, which a poor sad sack like me can't afford right now.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm kind of surprised it's making a comeback given how good Fatal Push is

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mfcrocker posted:

I'm kind of surprised it's making a comeback given how good Fatal Push is

It also plays it. It also runs 8 hand disruption spells so it gets to remove your removal before it plays its threats. It does have a rough matchup against traditional jund/junk though. The good news is that the rest of the field has a great jund/junk matchup and the decks see less play.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sickening posted:

It also plays it. It also runs 8 hand disruption spells so it gets to remove your removal before it plays its threats. It does have a rough matchup against traditional jund/junk though. The good news is that the rest of the field has a great jund/junk matchup and the decks see less play.

I'm not complaining, I've moved to BUG midrange recently because getting 8 effective copies of Fatal Push is really, really good (and I still want to play Goyf)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

I'm not complaining, I've moved to BUG midrange recently because getting 8 effective copies of Fatal Push is really, really good (and I still want to play Goyf)

Mind sharing your list? I've also been working BUG Midrange and enjoying it; curious what others are running.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Walked posted:

Mind sharing your list? I've also been working BUG Midrange and enjoying it; curious what others are running.

Can't access it right now but am pretty much running this list, with a couple of substitutions.

How about you?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

Can't access it right now but am pretty much running this list, with a couple of substitutions.

How about you?

http://deck.tk/5br69dDw

Along these lines; still tweaking. I've tried running Death's Shadow as a finisher too; but its the wrong shell for that cool dude

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Death's Shadow is cool and fun and skill testing. I'm very happy I can play with it again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So it was criminally underplayed before the suicide battle rage deck came together? Or is the twin ban/something else relevant? Right now it looks like a better goyf with more set up cost. And it's a whole lot more skill testing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicide zoo's existed for a long time but it never really did anything until battle rage came out.

I've never seen the card in anything other than suicide zoo or this new suicide jund thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

suicide zoo's existed for a long time but it never really did anything until battle rage came out.

I've never seen the card in anything other than suicide zoo or this new suicide jund thing.

Thing is, besides Traverse, this Jund version isn't doing anything special that couldn't have been done before (I think). Maybe that's the key card.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Thing is, besides Traverse, this Jund version isn't doing anything special that couldn't have been done before (I think). Maybe that's the key card.

Traverse and the new Liliana are both awesome in the deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

It's not quite the same thing but a guy brought his newly-made BUG Delver list to last FNM, seemed like it could be effective but he was still figuring the deck out. Pretty much your Standard UB cards for Delver with Goyf as a finisher, but also Simic Charm for extra spice (quote from him: "It counters Abrupt Decay!")

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

When you think about it, Traverse is a much better GSZ in this deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

When you think about it, Traverse is a much better GSZ in this deck.

There's probably a way to completely break Traverse in Jun* decks, I'm not sure what it is but I feel like it involves running a bunch of Mishra's Bauble

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's probably a way to completely break Traverse in Jun* decks, I'm not sure what it is but I feel like it involves running a bunch of Mishra's Bauble

You just saw it this weekend. It's just a 2 mana 9/9 or a 3 mana 6/7 every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

You just saw it this weekend. It's just a 2 mana 9/9 or a 3 mana 6/7 every time.

Or a cantrip that grows your creature, or a trampling pump spell.

• Locked thread