Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Kitchner posted:

I honestly think this is shaping up to be not only the best Paradox DLC of all time, but the best DLC in any game of all time.

I honestly can't remember an expansion for any game with this many fixes and new gameplay options. All for supposedly 20* bucks? What a steal!

*saw that on Reddit, no idea if it's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Reveilled posted:

It can't be as simple as that, though. If it was you could just resettle all your pops of a different ethos to planets on the edge of your borders, trade them off to your neighbours, and end up with a state that has no ethical problems ever again. There has to be a natural pull to other ethoses that will over time cause pops to drift away from your preferred ethos. And if there's a natural pull, there's also going to be some sort of equilibrium where the pulls of all the ethoses (including any techs, buildings, faction support etc.) balances out. So if you have a materialist empire where 10% of the population are pesky spiritualists, removing all the spiritualists might get rid of them temporarily, but over time the factors which were causing 10% of your population to be spiritualists in the first place are just going to drag 10% of your remaining population towards spiritualism. You'll need to deal with the factors causing spiritualism influence pull, rather than just removing pops.

OK, this is true. I was being too vague and broad about "some external force." Yes, there must be some external forces influencing how pops align with ethics. I more meant that the simple fact that there are X% Spiritualists doesn't force there to always be X% Spiritualist no matter how many pops are in your empire.

In this sense, purging dissidents without addressing root causes isn't necessarily a very good plan for long-term ideological conformity, but in the short term it will remove malcontents. Unless how you treat dissident/conformist pops itself exerts an influence...

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 21, 2017

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Swedish Horror posted:

I think they plan on actually releasing Utopia/1.5.

You say that now but just watch, 10 years from now you and me will be screaming on twitch about some FUD spreaders and buying Governement Packs that are simulating everything down to the paper forms :colbert:. Seriously looking forward to the patch, might even be up for a goon game after it releases!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not sure if you can even do targeted individual purges anymore, it sounds like it's on a species by species level. So you can say to purge all the humans, enslave all the butterbutts, and give the spacebirds space drugs. But you can't say "Hey, single pacifist human pop? Get purged"

What you can do though is find the faction supported by pops you don't like and suppress the gently caress out of it, making it less attractive. That means less pops joining the faction, but I'm not sure if it means less pops converting to the ethos related to it.

I mean in lore terms you're probably killing a lot of dudes if you're a nasty Authoritarian empire suppressing a faction.

Hey Wiz, a thought I just had; on the new government screen is there a way to see what different governments there are and which selections you need to make in order to qualify for them? That is some minor functionality of the previous screen / system which may have been lost; you could mouse over a particular government, think "this sounds fun" and then tailor your empire to use it.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I honestly can't remember an expansion for any game with this many fixes and new gameplay options. All for supposedly 20* bucks? What a steal!

Between Utopia and the awesome as-yet unnamed EU4 DLC it's a good time to be a Paradox fan (unless you don't like being mercilessly teased by fun stuff you can't have yet)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Right, that's what GunnerJ was asking about, whether the new purge mechanics would prevent you murdering dissidents to maintain your ethos balance

Yeah to be clear, this is speculation about the possibility of purging pops regardless of species based on ethos, which tbh I don't think would actually be in Banks because purging is one of a number of rights/policies that addresses all pops of a specific species.

An alternative would be to see if it's possible to mod in virtual "species" that are simply defined as "any pop, regardless of species, with an ethos that (is/isn't/opposes) an empire ethos." Your rights policies for (I guess) conformists, non-conformists, and dissidents would take precedence over species (or maybe not, depending on xenophobia??). Wow this already sounds really complicated just to emulate horrible political atrocities in a game that's already defining specific systems for genocide-by-devouring.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I really want to do a run where I put my original species in permanent chemical bliss while robots do all the work.

edit: I'm pretty sure this is the plot to WALL-E

Swedish Horror fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 21, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Yeah exactly. There are some games that have "must have" DLC, Civ V was like that. Without Gods and Kings and Brave New World the game was kind of poo poo.

However this new patch fixes a lot of vanilla stuff that I would consider "the core game" and then offers a ton of cool stuff that is genuinely new content etc.

Its a weird model but I think by offering this stuff as half free and half cool expansion stuff, I actually don't mind paying for the expansion even though half the mechanics are free.

The big worry of course is Wiz has now set the bar too high, and we will all become petulant man children if the next patch doesn't revolutionise whatever the next priority is (I'm going to guess diplomacy and war).

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Stab in the dark: The honeycomb, authoritarianism, and egalitarianism will be mutually exclusive, and you'll be left with two ethics points for the three remaining axes.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
taking other ethos points is disrespectful to The Hive imo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

taking other ethos points is disrespectful to The Hive imo

imagine a hive mind, but the mind that emerges is functionally identical to jeb!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jazerus posted:

imagine a hive mind, but the mind that emerges is functionally identical to jeb!

Such a low energy hive mind. Sad!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Super psyched for Utopia.

RabidWeasel posted:

Between Utopia and the awesome as-yet unnamed EU4 DLC it's a good time to be a Paradox fan (unless you don't like being mercilessly teased by fun stuff you can't have yet)

Yeah, it's pretty great. Kinda wondering if they're even going to announce a new game this year or if it's all going to be DLC and we won't see V2/Rome 2/Diplomacy 2 until late 2018.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Fintilgin posted:

Super psyched for Utopia.

Yeah, it's pretty great. Kinda wondering if they're even going to announce a new game this year or if it's all going to be DLC and we won't see V2/Rome 2/Diplomacy 2 until late 2018.

My dream is that one day Paradox will release a vaguely VR related game. Let me be a roman legionary and participate in the testudo formation, or let me sword fight with some German barbarians. It would be an incredible update to that timeless classic, Rome 1!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Fintilgin posted:

Dude have I got some great news for you

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

My dream is that one day Paradox will release a vaguely VR related game. Let me be a roman legionary and participate in the testudo formation, or let me sword fight with some German barbarians. It would be an incredible update to that timeless classic, Rome 1!

I always pictured a Paradox VR game as looking like the XCOM command center:

Except themed by era of the game instead of all high tech. When you defeat countries their tattered banners get hung on the walls around you, etc etc.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Dude have I got some great news for you

:xd:

Now I want EUIV 2.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Paradox VR is just you standing around a board game in a virtual space.

The board is actual size.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

metasynthetic posted:

The only locomotion supported is walking IRL

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Fintilgin posted:

I always pictured a Paradox VR game as looking like the XCOM command center:

Except themed by era of the game instead of all high tech. When you defeat countries their tattered banners get hung on the walls around you, etc etc.

:xd:

Now I want EUIV 2.

Introversion software, the guys who made Prison Architect but more importantly DEFCON, had an intern who made half of a observer mode in VR for DEFCON and then one of their dudes finished it off.

You can only watch games, not play them, but the whole thing is a doctor strangeglove type military command bunker, with a big wall map and a floating globe like that. When the nukes start flying you can see the nukes trail high over the planet and stuff.

Looks cool as poo poo.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Noir89 posted:

Is this how Star Citizen fans feels about Croberts? You should wave your hands around more on the streams!

No, both because no one actually believes any of the poo poo Croberts promises will actually come to pass, and because Wiz and the gang have actually given concrete details instead of :gary:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

WE ARE THE BORG. ALL OTHER ENTITIES CLAIMING TO BE THE BORG ARE IMPOSTERS. THE ONLY RELIABLE SOURCE FOR BORG UPDATES IS OUR TWITTER ACCOUNT, @REALTHEBORG

One of the games did something like that. Some super mind-control virus started affecting the Borg also.

EDIT: Ah. Star Trek: Away Team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UiHMj92pfY

"We must be removed from the Collective. We are not Borg."

:smith:

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 21, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Bloodly posted:

Also the Ministry of Benevolence. Really, anything with -Divergence counts. Like the art piece you can get off the Artist Enclave, which even the lore text notes is screwing with people's head to get the effect.

Meanwhile the Symbol of Unity also does this, but without justification. Something in the shape, I guess.

I always interpreted the Symbol of Unity as representing, in addition to a single monument, an effort to fill the society with repeating images and memes to reinforce the intended ethics, sort of like the Statue of Liberty + the repeated usage of the Statue of Liberty to symbolize various American ideals.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Quorum posted:

I always interpreted the Symbol of Unity as representing, in addition to a single monument, an effort to fill the society with repeating images and memes to reinforce the intended ethics, sort of like the Statue of Liberty + the repeated usage of the Statue of Liberty to symbolize various American ideals.

man I thought it was just a big gently caress-off symbol but I like the idea that it's actually just a bunch of space americans putting flags on cash registers for some reason

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Zurai posted:

Why do you keep saying "if"? We already know Hive Minds are in. This week's dev diary is on Hive Minds (as we've known since last week's Dev Diary). They don't write Dev Diaries about features that aren't actually features.

I'm trying to internally deny that it's actually happening because I am 99% sure it's going to disappoint me, unlike everything else that's been discussed so far. I really want to play with like four different hive mind concepts and I worry that exactly zero of them will actually possible, even in rough form.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is there a good guide for the military aspects of the game?

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

metasynthetic posted:

Will it involve moving around armies of 60 ft. tall giants around this fullsize map?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/RikardAslund/status/833934724498219010

hive minddssssss

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I regret talking poo poo about speculation on hive minds. I am so pumped.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Has anyone (here or elsewhere) made any progress in making a new endgame crisis? I'm almost finished working on a new portrait set for a really unusual species - it has phenotypes for every species in the vanilla game, all weirdly tainted and homogenized into the same sort of aesthetic. I've tested it a bit, and that means that all your scientists and leaders and pops all look completely different, but all are recognizably from the same 'group'. I'll post the portraits here tomorrow-ish, but ideally I'd like to use them to make some sort of weird event.

edit:

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 21, 2017

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Hmm, only the one hivemind ethic. My stab missed. Maybe the final version will have hivemind in a different color than the 1 point non-fanatic ethics.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Super curious how hive mind races will deal with aliens. These birds seem to have a neural link based on their biology so would need to gene tinker wit other pops. Can you have a multicultural hive mind where not all races are part of the hive it's self?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm really ridiculously hyped for Utopia now. I might have to start an events mod just to pass the time.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A Craver build (Endless Space) could be a fun campaign with hive minded. Rapid breeders, super aggressive but technologically stunted. You process and eat every species you conquer and must be perpetually at war to feed the hive.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
This expansion is starting to look seriously amazing. :aaaaa:

Now that we can do really icky evil things like process xenos into food, there should also be an option exclusive to evil Spiritualists to purge by using aliens as ritual sacrifice for Dogar and Kazon. Could give a large happiness boost to your species or something.

Also, are there any plans for making tile blockers more fun and interesting? Something like the Dangerous Wildlife blocker could be used for exotic and almost totally safe safaris for rich tourists, and perhaps those dangerous animals could even have some military use for the more martially inclined empires?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Dog Kisser posted:

Has anyone (here or elsewhere) made any progress in making a new endgame crisis? I'm almost finished working on a new portrait set for a really unusual species - it has phenotypes for every species in the vanilla game, all weirdly tainted and homogenized into the same sort of aesthetic. I've tested it a bit, and that means that all your scientists and leaders and pops all look completely different, but all are recognizably from the same 'group'. I'll post the portraits here tomorrow-ish, but ideally I'd like to use them to make some sort of weird event.

edit:

This is great.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Dog Kisser posted:

edit:

Whoa. :monocle:

How long did that take?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/833960659700293632

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Finally, the Umgah will serve the Spathi. As it was always meant to be.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

Finally, the Umgah will serve the Spathi. As it was always meant to be.

Oh come on, we're clearly going to play as the Spathi fleeing from the Evil Ones, and carefully migrate our pops off of our homeworld while the Evil Ones roam freely!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

How dare you accuse the Spathi/us of cowardice in the face of minor inconvenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hive mind + lovely non-hive mind race used for manual labour because that's all the filthy singletons are good for.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 21, 2017

• Locked thread