Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Cleretic posted:

Star Wars actually has the worst track record of all favorite nerd-sci-fi series, while Doctor Who might have the best, sorry.

And on the slightly more on-topic part of this discussion, while the Doctor is totally just a white man traveling around solving other people's problems because they can't do it themselves, he is generally written as pretty anti-authoritarian and rebellious. He's a pretty good 'working class hero' actually, even though he doesn't always act like one. He was an absolutely lovely Time Lord, but got so sick of their society's general FYGM state (with no upward mobility, because good loving luck getting the old guard to lessen their grip on power when they live forever) that he stole a TARDIS and flew off to go actually help people.

With the way the lore has expanded, there absolutely will also be a female doctor at some point, and one who isn't white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Pwnstar posted:

Star Wars is about terrorists, they just made a new one. I haven't seen it but I assume the terrorists trying to overthrow the rightful government are still the main characters.

Yeah and the fascists are crying about it

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I thought the backstory to the new movies was that the terrorists previous good guys won and are now the legitimate government, but instead of destroying the bad guys they just decided to leave them alone and the new good guys are fighting them by themselves.

So either a far-left or a far-right critique of moderate centrism.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I thought the backstory to the new movies was that the terrorists previous good guys won and are now the legitimate government, but instead of destroying the bad guys they just decided to leave them alone and the new good guys are fighting them by themselves.

Yeah basically.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

With the way the lore has expanded, there absolutely will also be a female doctor at some point, and one who isn't white.

I want this simply due to the massive amount of crying that will result.

Also if Michelle Gomez was some kind of prototype for gender bending established characters as Missy/Master then it worked pretty well.

Though I do kind of wish we had a clone of Anthony Ainsley to pull out of the fridge. Maybe when Missy starts melting down entire alien races into a cauldron of goop to make a psychic power source she'll reach his level.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Doctor Whom

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Doctor Y'all

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Nah, the Resistance is being supported by the Republic because there's officially a ceasefire between the Republic and the First Order, the movie just never mentions this because politics in my star wars!!!

There's a reason I referenced the Contras; it's a Cold War allegory. The message is just confused because the good guys need to simultaneously be part of the New Republic and scrappy underdogs, while the bad guys need to be the leftover remnants of the Empire turned terrorists and also the Big Bad Evil Empire. The movie kinda glosses over what makes the Republic not the Empire outside of 'doesn't blow up planets', which is the world's lowest possible bar

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Zenithe posted:

Yeah, and I'm looking forward to that (Liv Colman for Thirteenth Doctor, please and thank you). But the gist of the story and character thus far has always been some brilliant white dude coming in and solving problems, and as much as I like the show and what else it's saying it's one of those stories that's always got this slight tinge of colonialism that's hard to shake. It's not even that bad about it--the Doctor's very happy to let people he meets and helps continue with their lives, he doesn't often impose much of anything and it's not like Star Trek where he's an emissary of a more advanced society.

Although I do remember a thing somebody on SA said at one point that the Doctor is one of only two characters* that should always be a white guy, because he acts as a non-violent role model for privileged white kids; 'you can be a good person, and help people less well-off than you, without being violent or condescending'. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it seemed like a decent point that fiction isn't providing white kids with a lot of aspirational figures that don't look down on and punch their problems.

*the other character is James Bond, because he's a ruling-class pompous rear end in a top hat beating on the proles, and I do agree with that one.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 21, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I like how the domestic political situation has become so bleak and depressing of late we all collectively retreated into sci fi.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, and I'm looking forward to that (Liv Colman for Thirteenth Doctor, please and thank you). But the gist of the story and character thus far has always been some brilliant white dude coming in and solving problems, and as much as I like the show and what else it's saying it's one of those stories that's always got this slight tinge of colonialism that's hard to shake. .

How does Martha Jones fit into this, because the Doctor would have been completely hosed without her.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

DancingShade posted:

I like how the domestic political situation has become so bleak and depressing of late we all collectively retreated into sci fi.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

DancingShade posted:

We all know its just gonna wind up like mad max at this point im not sure why its even a discussion

Fake edit: Or maybe On the Beach, that depends on Trump

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The front runner for the next doctor is Tilda Swinton

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Lid posted:

I wonder if she'll face the Daleks. Or maybe the Cybermen. Do you think she will?

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Starshark posted:

Do you think she will?

I think she's gonna encounter bad writing.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
On an unrelated note....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XWnZjC97GY

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Just get Joanna Lumley to do it again only have her play it like a time travelling Patsy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

NPR Journalizard posted:

How does Martha Jones fit into this, because the Doctor would have been completely hosed without her.

Companions are kind of a different thing, and a hell of a lot of them have been in a position to save the Doctor in some way. They are usually the Doctor's moral compass or grounding force of some kind, however, the figure that gives the Doctor some context as to the people he's surrounded by. There's definitely a place for them in a psuedo-colonialist take on the series as a whole.

Lid posted:

And okay, I apologize to Liv Colman for dumping her from the spot so readily, THIS is my most wanted Doctor. The frontrunners in this sort of thing are never who actually gets cast, but god do I want them to be in this case.

...in no small part because I've been told I look like Tilda Swinton, so for a few years I'd be having way too much fun with that.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Who the gently caress voted for this guy twice his voice makes my fists itch

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lid posted:

Not Idris Elba but still sounds good to me.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

DancingShade posted:

Richard Ayoade.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

foot posted:

Richard Ayoade.

Him too. But he's going to have to get his previous co-stars as Tardis companions or something.

Maybe Jen could be the new Rani.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

DancingShade posted:

He can't be Bond and the Doctor at the same time. Give it to the Idris Elba before there was an Idris Elba: Colin Salmon.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ora Tzo posted:

I think she's gonna encounter bad writing.

If there isn't an Aliens type face-off with the Master, I will consider it a lost opportunity.

ungulateman posted:

There's a reason I referenced the Contras; it's a Cold War allegory. The message is just confused because the good guys need to simultaneously be part of the New Republic and scrappy underdogs, while the bad guys need to be the leftover remnants of the Empire turned terrorists and also the Big Bad Evil Empire. The movie kinda glosses over what makes the Republic not the Empire outside of 'doesn't blow up planets', which is the world's lowest possible bar

I didn't know this, I thought it was merely rewriting parts of old history, but that is proper historical revisionism, that. It shows you how complex it can be in the service of a political point (and this is political, it's about winning the wallets of privileged people who don't want to be reminded of it), and also shows that the conversation has moved on to the point its difficult to portray that without some kind of set up to excuse it.

In the same way, explaining Dr Who is a bit less easy now than it was in the 1970's when Tom Baker played it for kids. We thought Blake's 7 was grown-up scifi at the time. That's how ridiculous these things seem looking back. Imagine building a wall to keep people in/out. Wait, why are we doing this again?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm not the first one to suggest it, but the Black Books cast for Doctor and companions.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Australia added to Civ VI.
Led by John Curtin. Bonuses for settling on the coast and putting districts on high-appeal tiles. Gets a big production boost if you receive a war declaration, or liberate a city. Can make unique "Digger" infantry who get a combat boost on the coast or in foreign lands. Can also make a cattle-station tile improvement with a territory-stealing effect.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

stop talking about nerd poo poo

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Krazyface posted:

Can make unique "Digger" infantry who get a combat boost on the coast or in foreign lands.

If there is one thing diggers are well known for, it's fighting really well on foreign coasts :confused:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

"Territory stealing" - checks out.
And form the video: "Australia can grow large without having to make extra investment into housing".

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Zenithe posted:

If there is one thing diggers are well known for, it's fighting really well on foreign coasts :confused:

You'd think they'd be terrible but there'd be some boost to city spirits whenever they were destroyed.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i know that you're all riding high on the gently caress anzacs hooah spirit but let's not pretend the anzacs didn't perform well given the horrible conditions and idiotic command they fought under in galipoli, not to mention their reputation as some of the best shock troops on the western front

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So they should be high attack/low hp units that you throw into battle.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BBJoey posted:

i know that you're all riding high on the gently caress anzacs hooah spirit but let's not pretend the anzacs didn't perform well given the horrible conditions and idiotic command they fought under in galipoli, not to mention their reputation as some of the best shock troops on the western front

source your quotes

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I think he means shock as in no-one could believe what they said after "I'm not racist, but" and how often they swore

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Western Australian Liberals have been called out by Daft Punk for using their song during the Liberals campaign launch. The DP lads aren't happy.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh, Dick...

Dick Smith: Slash immigration for affordable housing posted:

Let’s recall former Labor leader, Mark Latham’s, remarks last month calling for immigration levels to be cut in order to take the pressure off housing:

“[Housing affordability] is all about supply and demand. It’s not rocket science…

[But] you’ve got to do something about demand. And whether we like it or not – and the two parties have got consensus about a Big Australia – the driver of housing demand in Sydney is immigration. The 200,000 a year plus immigration program – add to that the refugee program – that’s the driver of demand. And unless you address that, you can have all of the housing bonds, press conferences and forums that you like – and sort of puffy stuff in the media – and you won’t get a solution. So, break the consensus about Big Australia, slash the immigration program, drive down demand, and finally you will have a sensible solution to housing affordability”.

“You won’t have to spend as much on infrastructure funding because the place is not sprawling as much. And the other benefit you get is environmental sustainability. It’s something The Greens used to talk about, but now they talk about 50,000 to 100,000 refugees – they are Big Australia as well”.

“So, there is real room here for a sensible solution based on cuts to immigration”.

Now Dick Smith has entered the fray, also arguing that the main solution to making housing more affordable rests with winding-back Australia’s mass immigration program:

“The main point that’s driving our unaffordable housing is about 200,000 immigrants come in a year. That’s five jumbo loads a week that go out empty,” he told Sky News.

“All of our problems are from this unbelievable population increase. You can’t drive in Sydney at the moment. The housing prices are enormous.

“The most fundamental right is to get a house with a backyard. Young couples can’t do that anymore, purely driven in 95 per cent of cases by the enormous population increase, mainly driven by ridiculous immigration”…

This site has never argued that excessive immigration is the sole cause of Australia’s unaffordable housing. But it is hard to deny that it is a significant factor.

Since John Howard initially opened the immigration floodgates in 2003, Australia’s population has grown at nearly 2.5 times the OECD average (see next chart).

Most of these migrants have flooded into Melbourne and Sydney, where house price growth has also been the strongest and homes are most expensive:

And because of mass immigration, Sydney’s population is projected to grow by 87,000 people per year (1,650 people each week) to 6.4 million over the next 20-years – effectively adding another Perth to the city’s population:

Whereas Melbourne’s population is projected to balloon by 97,000 people per year (1,850 people each week) over the next 35 years to more than 8 million people:

The Turnbull Government can bang on about boosting supply all it wants (without actually doing anything). But something needs to be done to stem demand, including the deluge of new migrants inundating Sydney and Melbourne each and every year.

None of this is rocket science. So why won’t our major political parties – the Coalition, Labor and the Greens – address the problem at its source and slash immigration to sensible and sustainable levels?

A good example of someone going "but... graphs!" to support their argument. Shame they don't compare those levels to before Howard "opened the floodgates" though, eh?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BBJoey posted:

Also, along with the remnants of an Indian brigade, holding the port city of Tobruk while besieged for 5 months in 1941

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Using super for personal investment in housing rearing it's head again. Sounds like a good way to jam up some prices and dick people out of their retirement fund, I'm all for it.

• Locked thread