Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Ducks are pure evil so it fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Honestly Ducks would be pretty good at being DRK, they already do the Death-aspected sword-wielder thing.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Holyshoot posted:

I'm pretty sure them saying "DPS meters make the community toxic" is easier for us to stomach then. "Too hard to do." "It will be in soonTM".

This game already has fully-functional DPS meters. In fact, they're a cornerstone of an entire part of this game. PvP tracks all of the damage you do, the damage you take, and the healing you do, as well as if you were involved in completing objectives. It spits out all of that information in a nice, sortable scoreboard.

They just don't want to do it, even for preformed groups.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

[Me, has parser installed and taking up 50% of my HUD with it showing me as top DPS on trash pull]
"Link meters. I don't have parser installed"
[Also me, with parser showing I have worse DPS than the off tank in i230 during boss after a meter is linked]
"lol who gives a gently caress about dps anyway, compensating much bet you don't even have a girlfriend some of us have lives you know how about you get a life lol starting votekick"

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I'm fine without damage meters. People get super toxic when given numbers, just look back a few pages for Party Finder groups looking for item levels higher than what the place drops. I don't need some sperglords yelling cause I hosed up an enochian rotation due to running from some AoE.

What I want out of damage meters is what they do in Overwatch. Grade me on poo poo like Buff/Debuff Uptimes, not standing in poo poo (avoidable Damage taken), and even a straight damage number, but give nice medals instead of showing me how the i270 dude is whooping my ungeared rear end in 60DR.

It's probably a ton of work and scaling it per dungeon or per boss so it's actually useful, but that's what I want to see in meters.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The most toxic things about MMOs in my opinion, ranked:
1. Gearscore in its old WoW form, with ilvl being the same thing but it's a little less emphasised in communities nowadays. It's not an indicator of skill by any quantifiable metric and good players have high ilvl because they're are good at content.
2. "Link achieve", The FFXIV version would be queueing Ifrit EX before Titan etc. You can't link achi in FF14. Asking for logs is more of a universal than FF only thing.
3. Parsers, particularly when feedback isn't offered over low numbers, only chewing people out.
4. Deadly Boss Mods style addons which tell you exactly what you need to do to in a fight, when, and how so you never actually have to learn encouncters

FF does well to avoid the majority of these, in my opinion, and the ones it does touch on aren't especially things that happen too often. By MMO standards, XIV is genuinely not that bad. Always get bad eggs though.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Red Mage looked sexy. Samurai sold me. Loving those combat animations. I'm glad this is a good looking game. I'll be the gayest gaijin in the land.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait to be world first worst samurai :allears:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I think you'll find i've all ready got you beat, all ready got the best name.

Jetstream Nyan

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
The fartiest catgirl in the land.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Stormgale posted:

Jetstream Nyan

Jetstream Siamese

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

unseenlibrarian posted:

Honestly Ducks would be pretty good at being DRK, they already do the Death-aspected sword-wielder thing.

don't gently caress with the duck

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'd really rather not if SE adopted parsers because I'm a dirty casual and I really don't need my parties to know just how lovely of a loldrg I am.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Jetstream Nyan

Brainamp posted:

Jetstream Siamese

Jechtstream Sam already beat both of you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People are already lovely and toxic about performance, it's just that the anger is directed mostly at tanks and healers, because they're the only roles where it's obvious when something bad happens. It's really great when some 500 dps superstar calls the tank out for losing threat to the other dps, or the healer for not saving them from an avoidable AOE. There's also this general feeling you get from a lot of players that dps just isn't important. DPS meters would be good for the game overall.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can call out people for their DPS every now and then, you just have to phrase it correctly:

"I didn't see you use quelling strikes at all, you didn't die either, but your threat meter is below me, and I let selene do all the healing. Please push some buttons?"

I've done it once in a random farm pf I joined, it turned out the guy was just being a lazy poo poo and shaped up, but point is, there already is a dps meter in the game :v: Maybe someone should mention that to yoship.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly I think the actual HW DPS rotations are just way too complex overall. I know people here loving love their piano keybinds and think the vaguest hint of cutting down on positions and buff juggling to be tantamount to turning the game into WOW or something, but speaking as an old and slow fossil there's no loving way I could play something like DRG or BLM or even MNK to its full potential, and being limited to the scrub-easy DPS classes (BRD and SMN...) due to it is really kind of frustrating. I mean hell, I really wanted to get into MCH but I eventually gave up on that too because I'd inevitably fumble a keypress or forget which I needed to do next or whatever, and whoops, there goes a good portion of a Wildfire and RIP my DPS. :smith:

And I know it's not just me who thinks this too. YoshiP's repeatedly stated that there's a huge gap between top-end performance and average players, and if the devs are making note of it there has to be really blatant skews in their metrics. The real question is what's going to be done in 4.0 and whether it'll satisfy the top end and the common scrub folks simultaneously.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Try practicing your rotation for more than like, a few days.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dragoon is probably the easiest dps. You run a fixed rotation that has one RNG element and you lose a whopping 90 potency if you do not hit positional right. Its not complicated in the least. You have a rotation of 10 GCDs and just keep doing the exact same thing ad nausum. The only thing remotely complicated is you have to move a step to the left or right every 3-4 GCDs.

Dragoon is the most braindead DPS with the least amount of stuff to do. You just do your 10 moves in order and you'll always have your buffs/dots up.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 21, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
BLM feels hard at first, and any new fight that's actually complex will gently caress you over and leave you in a ditch until you learn it again, but on the other hand, outside extreme or savage, you can easily get away with sitting in an aoe circle or two and just keep dropping those >10k bombs, and the rotation for being in the top 95% of the people you'll see in DF is literally 6 buttons.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Ran a Haukke once with MCH and DRG where I pull the first succubus, deal with it and then pull the entire first room with the key. I notice our dps is lacking but hey it's level 30 dungeon so nbd. Midfight the mechanist pulls the entire corridor inside to which I remark that if you pull more you should at least use AOE attacks. "Oh" the MCH notes and uses spread shot whole of two times. After the fight is over at 5 minute mark our plucky ranged DPS leaves the dungeon with DRG in tow.

There's a section of player base who actively try to do the least effort in group content and act lovely over it. Good thing these players are rare (in my experience) but drat do they sour the game for you.

E: dps meters aren't the problem, it's the lovely people who are. They don't need extra incentive to be lovely but neither should someome doing an ok job be intimidated by whining if they are - in light of the available numbers - actually doing an ok job.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 21, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I am hella PEEVED posted:

What I want out of damage meters is what they do in Overwatch. Grade me on poo poo like Buff/Debuff Uptimes, not standing in poo poo (avoidable Damage taken), and even a straight damage number, but give nice medals instead of showing me how the i270 dude is whooping my ungeared rear end in 60DR.

Truga posted:

outside extreme or savage, you can easily get away with sitting in an aoe circle or two and just keep dropping those >10k bombs
This is why I hate the medals idea. I stand in so many things to maintain Enochian uptime in trash content like exdr.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Truga posted:

You can call out people for their DPS every now and then, you just have to phrase it correctly:

"I didn't see you use quelling strikes at all, you didn't die either, but your threat meter is below me, and I let selene do all the healing. Please push some buttons?"

I've done it once in a random farm pf I joined, it turned out the guy was just being a lazy poo poo and shaped up, but point is, there already is a dps meter in the game :v: Maybe someone should mention that to yoship.

This is dumb as gently caress that we have to do this. A stone that you have to kill in a specific time is not a dps meter. That is a target dummy. And the threat bar doesn't count either. I love the mental gymnastics goons do to not want a dps meter in or say we already have one. Lmbo.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'd really rather not if SE adopted parsers because I'm a dirty casual and I really don't need my parties to know just how lovely of a loldrg I am.

Causal doesn't mean you have to be bad and they already know how bad you are because most people who actually care about being good have act installed.

Niton posted:

This game already has fully-functional DPS meters. In fact, they're a cornerstone of an entire part of this game. PvP tracks all of the damage you do, the damage you take, and the healing you do, as well as if you were involved in completing objectives. It spits out all of that information in a nice, sortable scoreboard.

They just don't want to do it, even for preformed groups.

Devs can't always be perfect I guess.

quote:

4. Deadly Boss Mods style addons which tell you exactly what you need to do to in a fight, when, and how so you never actually have to learn encouncters

You don't need boss mods in this game because almost every fight is a set order of actions. You learn the fight by memorizing the order of operations. WoW fights are different and generally don't follow the same pattern every single time. And would not be killable without some sort of boss mod to assist you(at the mythic level anyways).

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 21, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Arguments for/against parses themselves aside, I don't want more jerks trying to tell players how to play in DF, now armed with data.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Some players play so fundamentally incorrect that I wish more people would speak up, armed with data.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Arguments for/against parses themselves aside, I don't want more jerks trying to tell players how to play in DF, now armed with data.

Yea man. I don't want people helping other people to play better. I much prefer to carry them and let them be ignorant, thinking how they play is normal. Or if I want to help them I need to be paying attention to their buff bars instead of the fight on hand. Way better.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Just to be clear, I'm not arguing against DPS meters, I'm arguing that they're for all intents and purposes already in the game (a poo poo player won't use quelling strikes or whatever aggro drop skill they have anyway), and maybe someone should point that out to yoship when he says people would be shittier when they knew your dps. The only things the aggro meter doesn't 100% work on are tanks and heals and good dps.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Some players play so fundamentally incorrect that I wish more people would speak up, armed with data.

Some players play so fundamentally correct that I wish more people would speak up, asking them to tone it down because it reminds me that next time I run, I'm gonna get a dude who can't even summon Garuda properly.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
You can always aggro on your party members over time it takes to complete EXDR I guess.

I've ran out of time in Keeper of the Lake trying to carry three roulette newbies through. I don't mind taking more time than required to complete content, it's the lovely toxic attitude I have problem with. And some people will be dillholes regardless of whatever the supporting data.

Available data affecting player behavior goes both ways, too. Like if you have a party wide DPS meter everyone including you can see it and use it as a basis for improvement rather than being a shithead. If you are effectively not pulling your weight then you probably should shape up and stop wasting everyone's (yes, again including yours) time. With good enough feedback you will see If you are not good at the game then you have room to improve. And if you don't care about improving, then you will face ire anyway from the above mentioned undesirables.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Some players play so fundamentally correct that I wish more people would speak up, asking them to tone it down because it reminds me that next time I run, I'm gonna get a dude who can't even summon Garuda properly.

To be fair /egiglamour isn't very simple.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Since we're talking about aggro and DPS, I'll sneak in a newbie question here.

Just switched to WAR from PLD because all the jokes about PLD being terrible turned out to be true. However, is there a trick to keeping TP up as a warrior? I feel bad making my whole group stop every other fight so I can restore.

I'm level 32 now, so I was running haukke. Pretty sure my dps just had no idea what they were doing or were super underleveled since trash mobs took my entire tp bar and a minute a piece. However, my healer kept yelling at me for not using overload enough (even though I ran out of tp speaking it since my dpses couldn't focus).

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
It's funny to me that people still pretend they want DPS meters to be in the game for any other reason than to scream at other players and brag. The "teaching" thing is silly. There's not a single thing you could do with a DPS meter in the game to teach people that you can't already do right now.

I mean I sometimes wish I could scream at people, but but let's not pretend there's some grand greater purpose behind it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Yea man. I don't want people helping other people to play better. I much prefer to carry them and let them be ignorant, thinking how they play is normal. Or if I want to help them I need to be paying attention to their buff bars instead of the fight on hand. Way better.

There's a very wide gap between "Hey, try bringing out some more aoe since I'm pulling big" and "This monk is terrible, please read a guide before you queue tia", and I'm referring to the latter. I have very low expectations when I DF and I can count on one hand the number of times those expectations were too high.

Primetime posted:

Since we're talking about aggro and DPS, I'll sneak in a newbie question here.

Just switched to WAR from PLD because all the jokes about PLD being terrible turned out to be true. However, is there a trick to keeping TP up as a warrior? I feel bad making my whole group stop every other fight so I can restore.

I'm level 32 now, so I was running haukke. Pretty sure my dps just had no idea what they were doing or were super underleveled since trash mobs took my entire tp bar and a minute a piece. However, my healer kept yelling at me for not using overload enough (even though I ran out of tp speaking it since my dpses couldn't focus).

You certainly were using your aoe too much. Basically you should alternate Flash and Overpower every once in a while to maintain group aggro while using your rotation on the primary target. You WILL run out of TP if the fight drags so that's not really on you.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
And you shouldn't have to overpower more than 2-3 times in spookyhouse anyway, assuming you have defiance unlocked.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I leave my jobstone off through brayflox so i have invigorate for my marauder. Other than that you'll get equilibrium eventually which fixes any TP issues you might have.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

troofs posted:

It's funny to me that people still pretend they want DPS meters to be in the game for any other reason than to scream at other players and brag. The "teaching" thing is silly. There's not a single thing you could do with a DPS meter in the game to teach people that you can't already do right now.

I mean I sometimes wish I could scream at people, but but let's not pretend there's some grand greater purpose behind it.

Pretty much this. You don't need a parser to see that some bad player isn't keeping dots up, is honest healing, or is just idly spamming a threat combo. And just as a matter of personal preference I am much happier carrying bad players wordlessly through whatever content I am in than I am having some rear end in a top hat yelling at people to fix their poo poo and causing fights and drama.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

troofs posted:

Depending on how much information the parser allows, it's very much possible to give someone tips and tricks about their rotations and how to fix it.

If you can analyse the data and find out that the Dragoon hasn't used Geirskogul and Phlebotomise at all during the instance, you can tell them when and where to use it. If they don't listen, they don't listen but it's not all about ego. It's unlikely you can keep an eye on what someone else is doing at all times but if you can look at the data on a parser, you can quickly find holes.

Failboattootoot posted:

Pretty much this. You don't need a parser to see that some bad player isn't keeping dots up, is honest healing, or is just idly spamming a threat combo. And just as a matter of personal preference I am much happier carrying bad players wordlessly through whatever content I am in than I am having some rear end in a top hat yelling at people to fix their poo poo and causing fights and drama.

There's room in between "essentially AFK'ing" and "Good at the game" and that's "trying but is missing part of the puzzle" though. You get people like that fairly often.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SettingSun posted:

You certainly were using your aoe too much. Basically you should alternate Flash and Overpower every once in a while to maintain group aggro while using your rotation on the primary target. You WILL run out of TP if the fight drags so that's not really on you.

No such thing - overpower is still your highest potency move at those levels against 3+ enemies even if you're doing nothing for an entire gcd for the tp tick.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Renegret posted:

And you shouldn't have to overpower more than 2-3 times in spookyhouse anyway, assuming you have defiance unlocked.

Thinking about it I this was definitely the problem. I did it as Marauder still since I hadn't finished the War quest yet (did it all last night). So I didn't have defiance for that run which probably explains why I was struggling.

Thanks for the responses guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The correct answer is, don't worry about TP because overpower is more damage per TP than any other skill you have at that level, as long as you're fighting more than 3 enemies, and more potency per GCD than any of your other skills as long as you're fighting more than 1 enemy.

Fore more than 3 enemies, dump all your TP on overpower and just keep using overpower whenever there's enough TP for one.
For 3 or less enemies, dump most of your TP on overpower anyway, but stop before you've ran dry and start spreading out your combos.

Butcher's block combo (your best damage combo) is 3.3 potency per TP, By comparison, overpower is 2.75 on 3 enemies and 3.7 on 4.

e;fb

• Locked thread