Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

wolrah posted:

You're trying to go from normal to the "insider" track, right?

You don't need to reinstall the OS, just enable the Insider Program from Settings > Update & Security. It'll then work through the normal update process.

"Get started" is greyed out for some reason on the Windows Insider Program screen, and the troubleshooting steps eventually pointed me to installing from the .iso. I'm going to spend another 30 minutes messing with it, and if I cannot resolve it I'm going to clean install. I was just trying not to have to round up software keys and reconfigure Plex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

WorkingStiff posted:

"Get started" is greyed out for some reason on the Windows Insider Program screen, and the troubleshooting steps eventually pointed me to installing from the .iso. I'm going to spend another 30 minutes messing with it, and if I cannot resolve it I'm going to clean install. I was just trying not to have to round up software keys and reconfigure Plex.

Did you get the same architecture? (As in 64-bit vs punch cards)

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

dont be mean to me posted:

Did you get the same architecture? (As in 64-bit vs punch cards)

Yep. Weird. There's definitely some other variable I'm not thinking of.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

redeyes posted:

This does not work, I have no idea why people think it does:

I think this is all based on a hardware hash. If I am wrong, great, I'll be really happy. The 'device' in the case of a built PC would be the motherboard.

I went from a H81 mobo and i3-4170 CPU to a B150 mobo and i5-6500 CPU and my digital licence activated just fine.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh really, so you logged back into your account and it just activated? It begs the question does the old board get deactivated? I still have never seen this actually work in person.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

redeyes posted:

Oh really, so you logged back into your account and it just activated? It begs the question does the old board get deactivated? I still have never seen this actually work in person.

Pretty much.

I reinstalled Windows, because drivers, but as soon as I logged in again with my MS account it was activated.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Goon posted:

Pretty much.

I reinstalled Windows, because drivers, but as soon as I logged in again with my MS account it was activated.

Did you have to logon to your account via the website and 'deactivate' or similar your old computer?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

redeyes posted:

Did you have to logon to your account via the website and 'deactivate' or similar your old computer?

I did not.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I want to install Windows on my MacBook Pro to play the occasional PC game (mostly just Fallout New Vegas). What's the cheapest legit way to do this? I see many cheap options on Ebay for stuff like USB recovery keys, but the prices seem too good to be true.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If "Free" works for you, then you can always just download this here ISO: from microsoft and then install and use Windows 10 forever without activating it. I THINK BootCamp doesn't require a USB drive anymore to do this?

Also, don't worry about activating it if you're just gonna play a video game on it here and there-- I've been using Win10 on my MBP for 2 years now and still haven't activated it because I use it roughly once a month. You can change desktop backgrounds by opening a photo and selecting "Set as desktop background" it's the dumbest thing to "limit" users with, since it's not really a limitation at all.

Anyways, here's the guide I always follow to install Win10: http://www.windowscentral.com/you-do-not-need-activate-windows-10

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

If "Free" works for you, then you can always just download this here ISO: from microsoft and then install and use Windows 10 forever without activating it. I THINK BootCamp doesn't require a USB drive anymore to do this?

Also, don't worry about activating it if you're just gonna play a video game on it here and there-- I've been using Win10 on my MBP for 2 years now and still haven't activated it because I use it roughly once a month. You can change desktop backgrounds by opening a photo and selecting "Set as desktop background" it's the dumbest thing to "limit" users with, since it's not really a limitation at all.

Anyways, here's the guide I always follow to install Win10: http://www.windowscentral.com/you-do-not-need-activate-windows-10

Interesting.. so it doesn't shut down by itself after some amount of runtime?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

redeyes posted:

Interesting.. so it doesn't shut down by itself after some amount of runtime?

No sir. Or at least I've never encountered one before.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
edit whoops I can't read

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Has anyone else run Windows 10 Home in a virtual machine and gotten a message about Windows 10 attempting to activate its NIC in promiscuous mode? When updating to the Anniversary edition this morning VMware provided a warning that it had prevented Windows from doing this.

For those that don't know what a promiscuous port does, look no further than Wireshark.

Edit: I don't have anything installed on this VM (GNS3, Wireshark, WinPCap driver etc) that would be doing this intentionally.

Ren and Stimpire fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 21, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm used to reformatting with a CD for xp/7 when I greviously gently caress up with a virus or something. But now I have a laptop that came with 10 instead of a pc built from parts myself. How do I go about doing a complete wipe and start over if I need to? There's no CD drive so I guess a usb drive although I've never done that it seems easy enough. My main concern is where to get the files and how I would activate it. I could just :filez: it like I have my entire life but I'm wary of how intrusive 10 is that something would gently caress up about updates or what have you and if I have a legit version now why not try and keep it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Settings > Reset My PC.

It reinstalls the OS. Choose to wipe all files and it's a full reinstall, choose to keep files and it's like doing an upgrade install.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm used to reformatting with a CD for xp/7 when I greviously gently caress up with a virus or something. But now I have a laptop that came with 10 instead of a pc built from parts myself. How do I go about doing a complete wipe and start over if I need to? There's no CD drive so I guess a usb drive although I've never done that it seems easy enough. My main concern is where to get the files and how I would activate it. I could just :filez: it like I have my entire life but I'm wary of how intrusive 10 is that something would gently caress up about updates or what have you and if I have a legit version now why not try and keep it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Get the Media Creation Tool and create a USB stick with the complete installer on.
Then boot your machine from that and wipe and reinstall.
It will maybe detect the OEM license and just let you install without entering a product key, but if it does ask you, then click the option to skip entering product key/activate later.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

If you are dead set on a full wipe, you can legit download a tool to make Win10 bootable USB drives, or the ISO direct from Microsoft without a login. (At first I didn't believe it either).

If Win10 was installed when you got your machine, you can do a complete wipe and the OS will pull your license from the UEFI.

Edit: sorry for not including a link, I can't get it to come up in English at the moment.

Ren and Stimpire fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 21, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What about if I do a complete hard drive swap? Will it still magic the product key from the nether?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What about if I do a complete hard drive swap? Will it still magic the product key from the nether?

OEM license keys are stored in the BIOS chip.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

If you have activated Windows 10 on a computer the license is actually the hardware hash from the motherboard itself. This means you can swap hard drives/windows loads on activated computers and as long as the version (pro/home) is the same you are golden.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

redeyes posted:

If you have activated Windows 10 on a computer the license is actually the hardware hash from the motherboard itself.
I thought this was only the case for Windows installs of the digital license type, ie. those that are Windows 10 as a consequence of the free upgrade offer.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Flipperwaldt posted:

I thought this was only the case for Windows installs of the digital license type, ie. those that are Windows 10 as a consequence of the free upgrade offer.

Yes. If you actually bought a copy of Windows 10 in a store, you get a normal license key. If you got a copy of Windows 10 with a new computer, it can either be a normal license key or the same embedded-in-motherboard OEM key thing that many Windows 8 machines have.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Flipperwaldt posted:

It is the case with free upgrade offers, and OEM keys. If you call Microsoft with the OEM key you had in the first place and tell them you upgraded, they may generate you a new key. They did for me at least.

If you buy the "full packaged product" version of Windows, which is more expensive than the OEM version, then you can move the key around from PC to PC as long as you only have it installed on one PC at a time. I saw some of them a month back on Amazon but now I'm only seeing ones with "OEM" in the description. The FPP was $200 where the OEM was $130.

Edit: Of course, don't buy any of that when you can still buy a $5 Win 7 key on eBay and do the Assistive upgrade.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Zero VGS posted:

It is the case with free upgrade offers, and OEM keys.
I'm specifically referring to the technology used for activation, which in my, and apparently also fishmech's opinion/experience, differs between free upgrade offer installs and everything else. The former uses a hash of the hardware, OEM uses a key, just like retail, working like it has since Vista.

I mention this, because redeyes replied to a guy with an OEM license.

fishmech posted:

Yes. If you actually bought a copy of Windows 10 in a store, you get a normal license key. If you got a copy of Windows 10 with a new computer, it can either be a normal license key or the same embedded-in-motherboard OEM key thing that many Windows 8 machines have.
My experience with Windows 8 machines has been that the OEM key embedded-in-motherboard is unique to the machine and can be read out with software, so the difference seems trivial. This to point out the difference between "OEM key" practices in Windows 7 computers, where the key on the sticker sometimes wasn't used on the original install, in favor of a manufacturer specific generic key, which caused a whole cascade of manufacturer modified install media being required to reset a computer to factory settings (not that anyone should have cared to do so). Which I'm sure you're all aware of. It's just that at some point OEM key could be something different from key to an OEM license :)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I've had 2 laptops out of maybe 200 at work that I've done the free upgrade with, actually say "Windows 10 can't be activated because the product key is in use on another machine" even though the laptops were straight from CDW and the Win 8 OEM key was burned into the BIOS. Microsoft told me to eat poo poo and buy a new copy of Windows, otherwise ask HP. HP was like "yeah we have no idea the keys are fine, ask Microsoft".

I've also done the free upgrade with a dozen laptops all on eht same day and they all came up on Windows 10 saying "Can't connect to Windows Activation Servers", and they continued saying that for about a month before all magically activating. Microsoft activation servers are some whack-rear end poo poo.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm specifically referring to the technology used for activation, which in my, and apparently also fishmech's opinion/experience, differs between free upgrade offer installs and everything else. The former uses a hash of the hardware, OEM uses a key, just like retail, working like it has since Vista.

An in-place edition upgrade (from Home to Pro) purchased in Windows Store should also grant you a digital license, I believe.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

I've had 2 laptops out of maybe 200 at work that I've done the free upgrade with, actually say "Windows 10 can't be activated because the product key is in use on another machine" even though the laptops were straight from CDW and the Win 8 OEM key was burned into the BIOS. Microsoft told me to eat poo poo and buy a new copy of Windows, otherwise ask HP. HP was like "yeah we have no idea the keys are fine, ask Microsoft".

I've also done the free upgrade with a dozen laptops all on eht same day and they all came up on Windows 10 saying "Can't connect to Windows Activation Servers", and they continued saying that for about a month before all magically activating. Microsoft activation servers are some whack-rear end poo poo.

If you load Produkey, it will spit out the BIOS key and you can input that into the key activation screen. The BIOS keys should drat well be different.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Trip report: signed into MS using my hotmail account on old setup. Immediately after signing in, pulled the old mobo and chip out. Put in new mobo and chip, plugged everything in, and booted directly to Windows without a single error. Not even a message saying my new computer was activated or anything. It just worked.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

If you load Produkey, it will spit out the BIOS key and you can input that into the key activation screen. The BIOS keys should drat well be different.

That's what I'm saying, Microsoft was insisting the loving produkey bios key was in use by another PC when we got it straight from the VAR.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

That's what I'm saying, Microsoft was insisting the loving produkey bios key was in use by another PC when we got it straight from the VAR.

UGH! someone stole the key is my guess

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

SLIC 1.0 keys were shared between all the BIOS's of certain manufacturers, and activation occurred as part of a paired certificate that was installed with windows. This was the method used for Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.0. The unique key was placed on a sticker.

SLIC 2.0 keys were unique to that computer, and injected into the BIOS as part of the windows install process. It required a UEFI BIOS, which wasn't commonly available until Windows 8.1. This method was(is) used for Windows 8.1, Windows RT and Windows 10. The sticker may or may not have a key on it.

You most likely pulled the shared SLIC 1.0 key out of the BIOS, which would not be valid for Windows 10. You need the key from the sticker.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Windows 10 build 15042 has been released on the fast track for Insiders. The build number watermark has been removed from the bottom right of the desktop, which usually means it's in release candidate territory.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Windows 10 build 15042 has been released on the fast track for Insiders. The build number watermark has been removed from the bottom right of the desktop, which usually means it's in release candidate territory.

Neat. Any new stuff worth mentioning?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

redeyes posted:

http://www.windowslatest.com/2017/02/25/windows-10-insider-build-15042-pcs-build-15043-mobile/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

redeyes posted:

If you mean the next big update rather than just that particular build, it's not going to be as big a deal as Anniversary Update but there's some neat stuff. In order from most to least useful:
- 18 hours of "active hours" in win update, plus options to disable driver updates or pause updates completely that don't require gpedit
- built in f.lux style color temperature shifting
- folders for the tiles part of the start menu
- we finally get the ability to pick a custom color for task/titlebar accent color rather than just one from a limited selection
- a "game mode" setting that's supposed to give more resources to games, but so far every test I've seen done on it has shown very limited impact
- a bunch of stuff for possible VR & augmented reality integration, this is supposed to be the big feature but lol VR

And if you use Edge, flash is now click to play which is good.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
More importantly it seems a whole lot more stable than the previous fast ring build

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I am so excited to wake up one morning and see my computer restarted, losing the spot on my paused videos, resetting every single option and customization I've ever made, and probably installing candy crush or some poo poo.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I am so excited to wake up one morning and see my computer restarted, losing the spot on my paused videos, resetting every single option and customization I've ever made, and probably installing candy crush or some poo poo.

The upcoming build upgrade is supposed to remember more settings, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For some reason, Malwarebytes' real time protection has been going off today. I only caught its message once, but it said it was some sys32 svchost file or something

edit: The issue seems to be about as resolved as it's getting. Malwarebytes, Defender, and Adaware all did not detect anything malicious, and there's no resource-consuming system host instances in the task manager. All I can figure is that it's a false positive.

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 2, 2017