Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Evangelion is absolutely a thing a casual anime fan will have heard of. For better or worse people who hate anime too!

I dunno about casual stuff, but I do know people that have seen SEED and no other anime, or 00 or FMP and no other anime too. MD had 0 anime things at all and a connection to two GBA games nobody played. If nobody else thinks its worth it thats fine, I just think it's a better jumping in point than MD (depending on translation quality) and new people are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm little surprised to hear FMP is considered that popular among English-speaking fans. Before I was into mecha anime I had only heard of it once, and it was on a random now mostly forgotten podcast back in like, 2005.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 21, 2017

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy

Raxivace posted:

I still can't quite believe we're getting a new SRW in English in a few days. When I first got into the series about four or five years ago I just accepted that this wasn't going to be a thing that happens, barring the occasional fan translation.

Should SRWV have its own thread?

I remember hearing rumblings of a localized Alpha on DC back in 2001 or so. Even then, young as I was, I thought it was a ridiculous pipe dream and that I'd never play a (licensed) SRW in English, and yet, here we are.

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Yeah I remember playing Super Robot Wars 3 while I was watching my grandmother's bookstore in like 2002 when Gideon Zhi translated it.

Pretty crazy to have an "official" translation of a new SRW now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can update the OP but I can't change the title, right? I'd be in favor of making it primarily about SRW V and titling it "Super Robot Wars V: Now in Singlish".

edit: come to think of it, where is official English info? Is there an English version of the official site I don't know about? If there is that should go in the OP I guess.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 21, 2017

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
You need to ask a mod for help if you want to change the title.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chirico cuvie posted:

I remember hearing rumblings of a localized Alpha on DC back in 2001 or so. Even then, young as I was, I thought it was a ridiculous pipe dream and that I'd never play a (licensed) SRW in English, and yet, here we are.

Apparently that actually got pretty far towards actually happening, got torpedoed by Harmony Gold though

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

drrockso20 posted:

Apparently that actually got pretty far towards actually happening, got torpedoed by Harmony Gold though

I really do not like those dudes one bit, no sir.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Demo screens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OM89EXO6cI

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I love that they kept the little music cue at the start of cross ange's op

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: come to think of it, where is official English info? Is there an English version of the official site I don't know about? If there is that should go in the OP I guess.
They're being ridiculously quiet about this, for whatever reason.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So Hi-Nu and Nightingale have to be in this right? Hathaway's Flash is the sequel to the novel that they originally come from so if they are going to ever have them them in a game again this seems like the time to do it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I ended up getting a physical copy from Play Asia - how long does it typically take to ship from them?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Levantine posted:

I ended up getting a physical copy from Play Asia - how long does it typically take to ship from them?

Apparently it depends on what kind of shipping you got. Did you get express? Great, expect like a week or so.

Did you get Economy? Well, gently caress you, guy, wait like a month.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Supremezero posted:

Apparently it depends on what kind of shipping you got. Did you get express? Great, expect like a week or so.

Did you get Economy? Well, gently caress you, guy, wait like a month.

I got whatever the expensive one was so I could track it. That's not too bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The nicest thing about digital is that I don't have to worry about my game getting caught up in customs for a month.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I took the slow shipping since it was free (I ordered two copies; one for my brother) and when I did that with GGG it took like 2 weeks.

Which is okay, I have Hitman to occupy me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ahhh it's nice to hear the Yamato theme again. I used that track as a custom theme in Z3 and OGs.

Re shipping - when I lived in DC if I used FedEx it was usually a little under a week. One time I tried the other option (USPS? I forget) and it took like three weeks and was a complete mess. I never ever did economy.

I just do all digital these days. Still haven't decided on the fancy version with the soundtrack. Think I'll just load up my own music again though so no real need I think?

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 21, 2017

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

The nicest thing about digital is that I don't have to worry about my game getting caught up in customs for a month.

I'm expecting the worst. On the plus side maybe some of the secrets will be known by the time I get my copy so that'll be good.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man, SRW is eternal. I can remember playing SRW3 at like age 14. It would not be until like a boring day at college that I would load SRW4 and get hooked. I sat in a web programming class and played SRW Gaiden and got the strangest looks. Then I discovered alpha 2 videos and MX videos online and wondered how I could ever play the cool new ones. Alpha 3 released around my graduation. I dumped my first pay check for an imported ps2 just to play alpha 2, alpha 3 and MX. Going through my career and the latest SRW console games would usually be when I took my vacations. Played the handheld SRWs on planes and in hotels around America as I travelled for my job back then.

It hasn't been quite the same since Z2 or so for me but it's just been a wild and very long ride.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Wow, everyone's been playing for so long. I only started playing SRW about 8 years ago, and even then it was really just roms. First one I bought was Z2, if only for Gurren Lagann.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ethiser posted:

So Hi-Nu and Nightingale have to be in this right? Hathaway's Flash is the sequel to the novel that they originally come from so if they are going to ever have them them in a game again this seems like the time to do it.

Let me tell you about z1 that had nu gundam and ONLY nu gundam

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
My first exposure to the series was randomly grabbing OG2 in a gamestop because hey, robots. It turned out to be really tough and I just kinda stopped in frustration and forgot about the robot game I bought in a store until I stumbled onto stuff like @3 through random youtube surfing. I got way into the concept then played through both Z2s and slowly started moving backwards from there. I can't say I was really expecting V to be what it is either

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

At first I thought "I haven't been playing SRW for that long", then I just now looked up the release dates and my first (MX) was back in 2004. Time flies when you're beating up robots with other robots.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inferno-sama posted:

Wow, everyone's been playing for so long. I only started playing SRW about 8 years ago, and even then it was really just roms. First one I bought was Z2, if only for Gurren Lagann.
hello fellow z2 because gurren lagann buddy

i wound up watching like half the shows in that as i waited for my copy to arrive

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Started with OG on the GBA.

Those were the days. When all the robots were boring.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Z2.1 was also my first SRW, though I played it because of Code Geass and Gundam Wing which I happened to be watching at the time anyways. I eventually watched TTGL because of both it and remembering it had been popular, Zeta, CCA, and so on and so forth.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

When I was a SRW newbie the latest game was Alpha 3 and I was both impressed and horrified that Cobray's finisher was a minute and half long.

These days a finisher like that barely registers as lengthy.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I only started playing SRW when I saw the Z LP get started here. Since then I've beaten Alpha 3, D, J, Z1, Z2 and Z2.2

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I'm super stoked about V. I ordered the special edition so I'm excited about the voices tracks. I started playing when SRW a came out on the gba. Somehow managed to beat it knowing next to no Japanese, not realizing what most of the skills did, figuring out moves through trial and error, not realizing I could equip parts or that pilots had upgradeable skills and somehow always auto ejecting the RGez's flyer pack by accident. Those were good times.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Inferno-sama posted:

While I became a fan around 2005 or so, didn't actually get a chance to play any of them till around 2008-9(can't remember if it was 3 or Alpha Gaiden though)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've been an SRW fan for as long as I can remember, but it wasn't until OG1 came out in the US that I actually played one. And then it was whatever got full fan translation patches because I'm dumb and care about the silly crossover stories.

Ethiser posted:

Please don't play with my heart. Nightingale is in my top five giant robots, and if I could get it along with Xi and Penelope, I'd die.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Please don't play with my heart. Nightingale is in my top five giant robots, and if I could get it along with Xi and Penelope, I'd die.

You'd die being crushed under the weight of their fat asses. :colbert:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just starting with V, though I've followed the series a bit. I pre-ordered on psn and am downloading it. I know it'll be different from GGG but I'm super pumped to play THE Super robot wars series.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You'd die being crushed under the weight of their fat asses. :colbert:

Better a big mobile suit than something that doesn't even break 20 meters. :colbert:

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Better a big mobile suit than something that doesn't even break 20 meters. :colbert:

Chirico and the Scopedog would like to have a word with you.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Inferno-sama posted:

Chirico and the Scopedog would like to have a word with you.

What're you talking about, the Scopedog is infinitely large.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

As I don't have a Vita or PS4, I will be living VICARIOUSLY through youtube videos and streams. God, I can't wait to see an all attacks video of the Mazinger Zero...

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

How hard is it to access SEA PSN on Vita?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

WrightOfWay posted:

How hard is it to access SEA PSN on Vita?

Looks like you have to wipe your Vita.

Which is okay, since it has a handy dandy backup feature.

• Locked thread